• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
upandaway said:
A tiny press release with no pictures or commercials will not harm any sort of launch for a DS product.

Well I'm not buying an XL now, so there is -1 sale :p

KevinCow

Banned
hamchan said:
I wonder how it'll play. Seems even harder now to do touchscreen stuff with things popping out at you.

If they make it so that things you have to touch appear to be level with the screen, it should work fine. Though in games where you're actually interacting with the 3D world and not some buttons that could be made to just float in space... I dunno, that could be an issue.

Grooski said:
The inoccuity of the announcement gets me though. Why now?

It's Nintendo. They do shit their own way.

Though while it seems like it was released randomly in the middle of the night to us, keep in mind that it was released at JAPAN TIME, so it was noon for them.

Laguna

Banned
GC-similar tech, it would surpise me if there won´t be a new MH for this device
Monster Hunter 3G for Nintendos next handheld -> GameOver for PSP in Japan.

meppi

It just occurred to me why today is the day Nintendo revealed this.

It's the 23th, so it makes complete sense for them to do so. :)

Fakto

hamchan said:
I wonder how it'll play. Seems even harder now to do touchscreen stuff with things popping out at you.
Well, if it has 2 screens, then it's easy, one to watch in 3D, one to touch. Right ?

I raised an eyebrow and checked the date to see if it was April Fools. Out of fucking nowhere.

I like backwards compatibility, too many games still need localizations. Wonder how expensive it'll be if its really GC-like technology inside. Also wondering the lineup, specially since the new Pokemon DS isn't shown. Sounds like 2010 Japan, 2011 NA/Europe so no surprise there. Well, here's waiting for more details like digital downloads (if there are, to what dimension), flash memory, games coming in carts of what size, one or two analogs...

quetz67

Banned
Nightstick11 said:
I love how nobody is criticizing Nintendo 3DS or claiming it's a retarded idea.

After the DS and the Wii, we all learned our lesson, didn't we? :lol :lol :lol
No, but compared to the Virtual Boy the 3D here has no drawbacks, it just comes as an extra.

And with 3D being the hype right now, others (Sony etc.) sure are working on similar stuff. I am sure the next PSP will be 3D, the iPod/iPhone probably not because the 3D wont work with different orientations of the device.

Truly a

11-megaton-nuclear-blast-at-Bikini-Atoll-in-1954-5987437.jpg

Arzehn

I have a feeling Sony was going to do this with the PSP2... if so, it's gonna look like they copied (...again).

Edit: I see I'm late on this...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Durante said:
On par or above PSP is not "pumped full of power" in 2010. "Pumped full of power would be 10x PSP.

Yeah but that would be expensive as fuck. Going from the usual Nintendo mentality it won't be sold at a premium.

Grooski

Banned
Anomarad said:
I have a feeling Sony was going to do this with the PSP2... if so, it's gonna look like they copied (...again).

Thats what I thought - the PSP2 or the Zune is 3D capable and Nintendo is releasing the announcement early to counter.

Dizzan

MINI Member
D.Lo's post from Ausgaf sums up my thoughts

"3D with stupid glasses and have to buy a whole new TV after just having HD shoved down throats = fail. 3D in a self contained cheap device minus glasses = win (maybe)."

Keikaku

What the heck . . .

Came out of NOWHERE. Still, I'm intrigued and genuinely happy to hear about exciting new tech. Good on you, Nintendo :D

Kyzer

Banned
who cares about "copying" other than fanboys? i mean, isn't that kinda the point of capitalism and a competition-centric industry?

to me, its awesome that the big 3 always try to keep up with and outdo each other. one of the healthiest markets ever, imo

Disguises

Errrrr. WTF. Nice surprise, Nintendo. Very interested in seeing how this works! I'm guessing since its backwards compatible with DSi games it'll have the cameras and stuff. :)

GCX

The name 3DS has so many marketing possibilities. Even though they say it's temporary I'd say they'll probably stick with it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Suzzopher said:
Sony will have to the smart phone route now surely? They can't expect to launch a PSP2 with 3D screens after this.

:lol Why not?

In terms of 'copying', the company's already jumped head first into 3D across its range of products. 3D tech in the next PSP would simply be obvious. It would take a special breed to think Sony's 'copying' Nintendo when Sony as a whole, from tip to toe, has already long announced its commitment to 3D products in pretty much everything it does that involves imagery.

But really, 3D is obvious. It's the obvious next step for everyone. It should not have taken Nintendo embracing it for people to realise that. But in gaming terms now, only Microsoft seems to be stalling on it, although I doubt for very long.

Munin

So can anyone tell me how you can actually create 3D without glasses? Why wouldnt every cinema, TV manufacturer, etc do it the Nintendo way if it was so easy?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Nintendo should be like Standard Oil, no competition! No one else should ever copy them or be like them or sell what they sell!

also, im interested in seeing how these 3d images are supposed to be simulated...also whether or not if background art is going to become a thing of the past since im guessing the console will become the new background.

the only thing i can think of is mini-projectors placed on the handheld device in a particular way that will create an image where the light intersects.

So new hardware or is it just a screen upgrade? I'm not reading through an entire thread of "wow" and gifs for the info.
If its new hardware then fuck yes, if not then fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom