• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

I hope that the resolution goes up to AT LEAST 480x360 per screen, the 256x192 resolution of the DS is so weak.

Nessus

Kenak said:
That would actually be very clever on their part. Self-referencing their past in the 3D and the Gameboy, as well as giving a good fitting name for a virtual handheld marketplace.

Heh, I just realized: they could include Virtual Boy games in the service. There were a couple good ones, Wario Land and Red Alert were decent.

Pinaccle

Banned
SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE R3DUX

LUIGI'S MANSION: FUN HOUSE

PILOT WINGS: BLUE HORIZON (using accelerometer)

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

MADDEN NFL 2011 3D EDITION

ROGUE SQUADRON: ROGUE LEADER: REBELLION: SEMI COLON

STAR FOX: DIMENSIONS

P.N. 03D (!!!!!!!!!!!)

MOTOR RALLY (think wii sports but all vehicle stuff)

RESIDENT EVIL 4: 3DS EDITION

SCRIBBLENAUTS 3D

GOL3DN SUN

F-ZERO SPEEDWAY COWBOY

SUPER MARIO 3DS2 (lol)

----

OH WELL, I'm fuck3D

Zzoram said:
I hope that the resolution goes up to AT LEAST 480x360 per screen, the 256x192 resolution of the DS is so weak.

It has to at least. Whats the point of near gamecube like power if its seen through shity screen.

Billen

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
This is the fastest I've seen a thread move at this time of night. Off to bed, now, and I'll see what this thread looks like, tomorrow.

What are you talking about, it's 10 in the morning here in Sweden. ;)

trinest

Gomu Gomu said:
Oh you know they will show the 3DPSP :lol .
Quick we got a month to make a mock up for the PSP 3D.

I'm thinking it is Pikmin and Pokemon which will be on this console around launch and make it sell buckets.

Majine

Banned
Feep said:
Fucking whoa. WHY didn't they save this for E3? They would have won E3.
They will anyways. 3DSs on display, and the people will run past every other booth, just like that year Wii was shown. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hammer24 said:
If Nintendo can pull this off, everything 3D needing glasses will look dated and cumbersome. This is attacking f.i. Sony on several levels.

Glassesless 3D is the ultimate end goal, but there are good reasons the industry overall has shifted to stereoscopic glasses for now, including companies who'd previously been focussing on autostereoscopic screens. There are already commercially available autostereo 3D displays, but notice how much traction they've got? Yeah, didn't think you had.

A lot of the current problems with autostereo 3D may not apply so much in the handheld space, but in the big screen space, glasses have a role - for now.

Mael

Zaptruder said:
How awesome would this be if they also include a little camera for head tracking purposes?

It would be like looking through a little window into another world!

I'm hopeful for a generation change in specs, rather than simply been an additional feature into an existing hardware platform like the DSi was.
remember how the DSi has 2 cameras? one for the outside world and the other for the player?

Grooski

Banned
gofreak said:
For reference, the tech Hitachi is using for one of their mobile phones:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1597252/hitachi-3d-mobile-tips

854x480 3.1-inch auto-stereoscopic screen, single viewing angle.

When companies quote the resolution of these screens, is that the resolution per eye image, or does that resolution get split for each image? In either case, a screen such as that above would give resolution higher than DS for each eye, if I recall DS's resolution correctly.

Well that showed it perfectly. If thats what we are looking forward to...hell yes.

Suzzopher

Seriously where did this come from? Nintendo were meant to be doing a new motion controlled DS, not 3D. Weren't Nintendo hating on 3D recently? I am excited to see what Nintendo do with 3D.

Majine said:
They will anyways. 3DSs on display, and the people will run past every other booth, just like that year Wii was shown. :lol

Did we know about the dual screen nature of the DS before E3 04? Still impressed people then.

Instro

Such a smart move, with 3D already taking off in the theaters this year, could you imagine the holidays. People will be coming out of Tron Legacy, and finding out they can play games in 3D now too without having to buy an uber expensive new TV.

And we still have that force feedback stylus that we heard about, what a system this thing could be.

mutsu

Just as I thought to myself that today is really slow in terms of any gaming news... It was really just the calm before the STORM!

Midas

First Nintendo hype since what? Nintendo 64? This will be interesting indeed, and didn't they do this with the Wii? Announced some parts before E3 so people wouldn't talk about the name forever and ever?

LCfiner

-DarKaoZ- said:
Why am I not exited? =/

maybe because we haven’t seen any software yet?

I’m definitely interested and curious about this, but it’ll take a demo of some great software to get me frothing.

mbnmac

Neo Member
To all those saying how they'll have a whole bunch of software available, remember the first year of DS?

It was only that fateful summer when Advance wars 2 dropped, then everything seemed to pick up really quick from there.

Obviously, many DS games can be ported etc, but it'll take a year for a range of good software to be out (by which time I could actually have saved for one!)

Here's hoping it follows the success of the DS

Zzoram

So the Wii 2 will be HD AND 3D it seems. There's no way they'd not do 3D now that the 3DS is going to be out. Considering that the 3DS is going to be a 2011 release, that places the Wii 2 in 2012.

SamBishop said:
Please don't let this be another underpowered system. I really, really want some serious juice behind this thing. Regardless, though, I'm officially counting the days until E3. 3D in any form is the future, and the more ubiquitous it is, the better.

This is fantastic news.

I have to agree with you there, the 3DS needs to be pumped full of power now, need to be above or about on par with the PSP now in terms of power!

If they just come out with a DS with just a 3D effect, i will be disappointed

Durante said:
Amazing. I'm greatly looking forward to the 180 degree turn on the matter of 3D gaming by certain posters. Personally I can't wait!

3D has always been cool but the glasses made it ridiculous. If they can truly pull this off without glasses, I'm in.

Same with TV.

upandaway

You guys are ridiculous. Because it's 3D people will run past all the booths?

As I see it it's not nearly as innovative or widespread as the Wii or the DS. The possibilities are far fewer than those two systems, at least with only 3D. The Accelerometer might help.

I'm not saying it will flop or it will suck, but for sure it will be less hyped than the Wii.

Okay so either Sony/Apple are coming out with a 3D-enabled device or this has something to do with their fiscal year. Because it's odd that they'd announce this now rather than wait until E3.

Suzzopher said:
Seriously where did this come from? Nintendo were meant to be doing a new motion controlled DS, not 3D. Weren't Nintendo hating on 3D recently? I am excited to see what Nintendo do with 3D.
According to a gaffer in this thread who says he gotz the inside info it does motion controls to.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
GDGF said:
Hey, anybody remember the force feedback stylus that nintendo put a patent on? A stylus that gave you a little buzz when you were manipulating 3D objects on a 3D screen would come in handy wouldn't it?

This thing is going to need a better interface than a one plane touchscreen and a cross pad. It at least will have an analog nub this time I'm willing to bet. Probably that force feedback stylus, too.

The Wiimote's rumble over buttons is a great little detail. I think utilizing that tactile feedback for the 3DS is a definite possibility, considering how Nintendo works.

tzare

Zzoram said:
Not on a handheld.

aha, maybe because they have still not announced a succesor to psp?:D

So far the only ones really interested in pushing that technology were sony. However it is great to see it going portable (although i do not see it fit , yet)

Durante

flipping_heck said:
I have to agree with you there, the 3DS needs to be pumped full of power now, need to be above or about on par with the PSP now in terms of power!
On par or above PSP is not "pumped full of power" in 2010. "Pumped full of power would be 10x PSP.

grandjedi6 said:
It'll be out BEFORE March 2011 in "all" territories. Most likely at least one region (coughjapancough) will get it this year.

This will probably happen, but it doesn't say in the PR. Unless it is understood that when it says it will release it during the fiscal years, means a world wide release?

Fakto

Dresden said:
ALL OVER MY FACE

P352q.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Durante said:
If it's autostereoscopic that means motion control mostly can't used for games. (I consider that a good thing)

That's a good point actually...and funnily enough it would likely make that parallax 3D DSiware game not work, at least not with the screen in 3D mode :p

ICallItFutile said:
I never expected 3D from a handheld. This must be what all that R&D development was going into.

The display tech is probably being outsourced.

From an R&D perspective at Nintendo, I'm more curious now if they have a new interface ala those 'contactless multitouch' interfaces people have been showing off recently.

Hero

I guess this will prematurely kill whatever Sony had up their sleeves for the PSP2.

Sounds awesome though. Can't wait to see it in action.

upandaway said:
You guys are ridiculous. Because it's 3D people will run past all the booths?

As I see it it's not nearly as innovative or widespread as the Wii or the DS. The possibilities are far fewer than those two systems, at least with only 3D. The Accelerometer might help.

I'm not saying it will flop or it will suck, but for sure it will be less hyped than the Wii.

Well yeah, but im sure Nintendo will find a way to dazzle you gameplay wise with something that could only be done with 3D. The wouldnt bother with this unless they ahd something cooking to convince everyone this is the way to go.

Kinan

3D within a limited viewing angle (or set of angles) is actually possible without glasses. It could work with handhelds since you almost never have a second person playing with you. I'm curios how they will compensate for different arm length/holding position though. One could employ a clever face autodetect solution with internal camera, that would be ace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom