• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much confirmed that the 3DS is coming THIS YEAR in Japan and that Pokemon will be a launch title. I mean, would Nintendo really send a new generation of Pokemon out on a system that is being replaced in MONTHS with the replacement already announced?

Hammer24

Banned
gofreak said:
Glassesless 3D is the ultimate end goal, but there are good reasons the industry overall has shifted to stereoscopic glasses for now, including companies who'd previously been focussing on autostereoscopic screens. There are already commercially available autostereo 3D displays, but notice how much traction they've got? Yeah, didn't think you had.

A lot of the current problems with autostereo 3D may not apply so much in the handheld space, but in the big screen space, glasses have a role - for now.

Stereoscopic glasses are around for more than ten years. They´ve been working (Elsa Revelator etc.), they´ve been cheap - and they never got traction either. For good reason.
Right now they got a little traction in the wake ov the Avatar movie, but that´ll die out pretty fast. If you think the masses will throw out their newly acquired HD tv´s for 3D tv´s with glasses, you´re wrong.
Autostereo 3D displays are already on the market - they are just simply way too expensive. But like I said, when Nintendo can pull this off, they´ll move the whole industry into that direction. Every company would be best advised to fully concentrate their R&D indo autostereo 3D from now on, or face severe financial consequences.
This is not just a game changer for handhelds, but for tv´s and the overall industry.

Zaptruder

Banned
Mael said:
remember how the DSi has 2 cameras? one for the outside world and the other for the player?

Yeah, I kinda vaguely realised that as I was writing that post...

Considering that they're going to make it backwards compatible with DS and DSi software, I'd say that camera is a lock... right?

rpmurphy

mutsu said:
Just as I thought to myself that today is really slow in terms of any gaming news... It was really just the calm before the STORM!
E3 is going to be amazing. Even though Sony got Move and MS got Natal, Nintendo seems like they're pumped and ready to win the show. Heck, why they're announcing this now is mind boggling to me.

I love how nobody is criticizing Nintendo 3DS or claiming it's a retarded idea.

After the DS and the Wii, we all learned our lesson, didn't we? :lol :lol :lol

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nintendo Japan just cut the balls off the XL launch for the rest of the world :lol

Majine

Banned
hamchan said:
I wonder how it'll play. Seems even harder now to do touchscreen stuff with things popping out at you.
Don't quote me on this, but nothing in the document, or anything else points to touchscreen.

EDIT: oh right, Backwards compatibility. Facepalm myself, brb.

Durante said:
On par or above PSP is not "pumped full of power" in 2010. "Pumped full of power would be 10x PSP.

Knowing Nintendo, it won't be 10 x PSP if it tried. The least we can hope for is on par PSP power

Durante

gofreak said:
That's a good point actually...and funnily enough it would likely make that parallax 3D DSiware game not work, at least not with the screen in 3D mode :p
Exactly, I wonder how that will turn out.

THis makes more and more sense the more I think about it. Nintendo is all about providing a unique advantage on their system, and a handheld where they control the display tech is obviously (to them) the right place to introduce 3D (as compared to consoles).

meppi

hamchan said:
I wonder how it'll play. Seems even harder now to do touchscreen stuff with things popping out at you.

Not really, just think about how you're able to "feel" buttons on the screen while playing a Wii game due to the rumble.
This could be the same principle, where the "buttons" are elevated somewhat.

And we don't even know at this point if the touch screen will be 3D as well.

Instro

hamchan said:

Indeed, maybe thats where the force feedback stylus patent comes in?

upandaway

VOOK said:
Nintendo Japan just cut the balls off the XL launch for the rest of the world :lol
A tiny press release with no pictures or commercials will not harm any sort of launch for a DS product.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Everyone remember that time when a letter was found on Nintendo's server discussing when they wanted to announce the 3Ds?

This isn't an announcement yet, folks. This is a leak for the announcement. The real announcement will come in June at E3.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Feep said:
Fucking whoa. WHY didn't they save this for E3? They would have won E3.

Keep in mind, we still don't anything about this other than the fact that it is 3D. They still have everything else to unveil.

KevinCow said:
EXCIT3D TRUCK

EXCITE.png

hamchan

Majine said:
Don't quote me on this, but nothing in the document, or anything else points to touchscreen.

Good point, we have no idea how 3DS games will play. Since it's backwards compatible with DS though it has to at least have a touchscreen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Uh-oh. Businessweek will be on some peoples' naughty lists!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...3-d-enabled-ds-next-fiscal-year-update1-.html

Kyoto-based Nintendo follows rival Sony Corp. in counting on 3-D technology to help boost sales growth of game consoles. Sony, which has said it will enable PlayStation 3 machines to run games in 3-D, plans to start selling 3-D game titles as well as 3-D Bravia televisions in June.

People wondering about PSP2 - they do have a quote though from Sony saying:

The company has no plan to sell 3-D portable game players

Of course, that's sort of a meaningless statement right now I guess.

caromelo

At least this is real (right?). As opposed that NintendoON shit that went down during the Nintendo Revolution days.

Man I am bloody hyped. Bring on E3!

Zaptruder

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Stereoscopic glasses are around for more than ten years. They´ve been working (Elsa Revelator etc.), they´ve been cheap - and they never got traction either. For good reason.
Right now they got a little traction in the wake ov the Avatar movie, but that´ll die out pretty fast. If you think the masses will throw out their newly acquired HD tv´s for 3D tv´s with glasses, you´re wrong.
Autostereo 3D displays are already on the market - they are just simply way too expensive. But like I said, when Nintendo can pull this off, they´ll move the whole industry into that direction. Every company would be best advised to fully concentrate their R&D indo autostereo 3D from now on, or face severe financial consequences.
This is not just a game changer for handhelds, but for tv´s and the overall industry.

There's no doubt that autostereo is the more desirable solution... just after hi-res wearable stereoscopic displays (full field of augmented vision... that's ghost in the shell/minority report type stuff).

But it's still pretty unsure as far as the tech goes. It's kinda like the problem that wearable displays have now. There are examples out there... and actual products... but because the functionality and costs still lag, it's considered at best a niche technology.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
upandaway said:
A tiny press release with no pictures or commercials will not harm any sort of launch for a DS product.

Not just this, but this thing isn't even set to release until March 2011. The XL will completely meet it's target audience way before that... old grannies who want to play Brain Age/Sudoku and not have to squint to do it.

meppi

Nightstick11 said:
I love how nobody is criticizing Nintendo 3DS or claiming it's a retarded idea.

After the DS and the Wii, we all learned our lesson, didn't we? :lol :lol :lol

Just wait until all the "it's just a gimmick" people start adapting and change their trollerific chants to "it'll give you motion sickness". ;)

SamBishop

Banned
flipping_heck said:
I have to agree with you there, the 3DS needs to be pumped full of power now, need to be above or about on par with the PSP now in terms of power!

If they just come out with a DS with just a 3D effect, i will be disappointed

It's apparently Tegra powered (which explains the backwards compatibility), so at least on par with PSP and then some, higher-res for sure with some very nice stuff like AA and effects and some serious HD video decoding ability (though I doubt that will be tapped outside of games). I am officially giddy with the possibilities.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i have my suspicions on whether or not this is gonna be worth it. whats the use in a touch screen if everything is "actual" 3D?

caromelo said:
At least this is real (right?). As opposed that NintendoON shit that went down during the Nintendo Revolution days.

Man I am bloody hyped. Bring on E3!

It is on Nintendos own official website. It is real.

Grooski

Banned
Hammer24 said:

I thought small screen rules were different to large screen when it comes to 3D (ie, as in harder to achieve). One thing is for sure, you do not want to be missing out on the 3D pie now.

Isn't that right Greenberg?

3D is great in the theater, but for the living room? I think we're a long ways away from that.

How about 3D on the toilet, that do? Tee hee.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
OneEightZero said:
Not just this, but this thing isn't even set to release until March 2011. The XL will completely meet it's target audience way before that... old grannies who want to play Brain Age and not have to squint to do it.
When they said before March 2011 they meant it's coming out this fiscal year, not that it won't launch until March 2011.

I'm not sorting through 17 (or wherever this post lands) pages of "Whoa," "WTF," etc, but I remember the original talk about the "look into" 3D screens back before the first DS hit, it's nice to hear something finally coming of it. Unless it's a new technology of course, then still the basic concept at least.

wondermega

First time I am genuinely excited on hearing any hardware news in.. I dunno how many years.

So that's what they did with all that Wii/DS money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom