• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

how much is DSXL now? how much can this 3DS be?

e3 can't come soon enough :D

pd. waiting for sony's answer. I think this announcement may be some kind of underground war against them , maybe nintendo has info on what is sony planning and decidec to shoot first :D :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know, they really should have saved this for their E3 conference. I can only imagine how many jaws would be on the floor if they did this correctly, and we're already looking forward to it with Zelda Wii anyways.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey, anybody remember the force feedback stylus that nintendo put a patent on? A stylus that gave you a little buzz when you were manipulating 3D objects on a 3D screen would come in handy wouldn't it?

This thing is going to need a better interface than a one plane touchscreen and a cross pad. It at least will have an analog nub this time I'm willing to bet. Probably that force feedback stylus, too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Stop It said:
Because large organisations have NEVER played jokes before, no, never.

A major console announcement made by online PDF, this doesn't ring alarm bells with..anyone? seriously? Ok, I must be the only cynic on GAF.

:lol :lol :lol

You never know, this may be real, and if so, this will be huge. But Nintendo spoiling their own E3 gigaton randomly on the interwebs instead of holding a press conference? Guys, please don't be shocked if this turns out to be a joke.
You're so paranoid, you're gullible.

upandaway

Wait, this comes out by March 2011 in JAPAN. Pokemon will be out in Japan by December.

How can this work? Even if they manage to finish the 3DS this year, this announcement means they're not considering it, meaning Pokemon will not be on it.

Pinaccle

Banned
Zzoram said:
My goodness, Nintendo's handheld and console will have equal graphical power! Mind boggling!

2743791538_1419615a5a.jpg

HOLY SHIT! Cannot wait for this. The DS, in my opinion, is the single greatest video game platform in existence, with me owning over 60 games and wanting another 100. I will buy this DAY -2!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Instro said:
Well doesnt the upcoming Coro Coro have info on the next Pokemon? Its possible they decided to tip their hand earlier because of that preview.

......................................................................makes too much sense! :lol

3D Pokemon by GameFreak OMGGG

upandaway said:
Wait, this comes out by March 2011 in JAPAN. Pokemon will be out in Japan by December.

How can this work? Even if they manage to finish the 3DS this year, this announcement means they're not considering it, meaning Pokemon will not be on it.

3DS could easily launch in Japan this year.

tzare

If it's a joke, it should be made into reality anyways. Clearly this idea is too good to pass up. If Nintendo doesn't actually have a 3DS to sell in a year's time, I'm sure Sony will poach the idea for PSP2, copying Nintendo as always.

now nintendo invented 3d? i thought it was sony pushing that until now.

Axiom

It's been mentioned but seriously wondering how us depth perception impaired people are gonna deal with this.

3D gaming scares me.

Mael

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The only thing that surprises me is that Nintendo tipped their hand this early. Can't wait for Sony's 3D handheld announcement now, so we can hear all about how a 3d portable system should be done to begin with. :p

I'm pretty curious to see how the 3D actually looks/works in person.

I also can't wait to hear all 20,000,000 variations of this stupid joke.

sony is not even capable of doing a portable system right to begin with and you expect them to show how a 3d portable one should be done :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stop It said:

I don't think Nintendo has ever done that. Especially since the original "leak" came from the Japanese site. Do they celebrate April Fools in Japan?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
TheGreatDave said:
Good point, Nintendo doesn't follow usual rules when it comes to...anything, really.

But hey, I'll wait for E3 before I even begin to form an opinion, at best we only have a name, but hey, this is GAF, that's usually enough.
Regulus Tera said:
I don't think Nintendo has ever done that. Especially since the original "leak" came from the Japanese site. Do they celebrate April Fools in Japan?
Not to my knowledge, but hey, the timing is exquisite, so call me cynical, GAF.

nightez

Banned
Andrex said:
Just noticed the similarity:

Nintendo 3DS
iPhone 3GS

Nintendo and Apple have something similar about them. Did you know Apple based the design of the firewire connector on the original Gameboy link cable connector. WHY? Because its a very durable and foolproof design. Its easy to break a USB port because that symmetric connector will still go in even if its facing the wrong way.

Hammer24

Banned
If Nintendo can pull this off, everything 3D needing glasses will look dated and cumbersome. This is attacking f.i. Sony on several levels.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Axiom said:
It's been mentioned but seriously wondering how us depth perception impaired people are gonna deal with this.

3D gaming scares me.

Maybe there'll be an option to turn it off?

Game-Biz

Stop It said:

A major console announcement made by online PDF, this doesn't ring alarm bells with..anyone? seriously? Ok, I must be the only cynic on GAF.

:lol :lol :lol

You never know, this may be real, and if so, this will be huge. But Nintendo spoiling their own E3 gigaton randomly on the interwebs instead of holding a press conference? Guys, please don't be shocked if this turns out to be a joke.
Dude, pass the joint. 'Cause that must be some gooood shit.:lol

Hypothetical Launch List 3

SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE R3DUX

LUIGI'S MANSION: FUN HOUSE

PILOT WINGS: BLUE HORIZON (using accelerometer)

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

MADDEN NFL 2011 3D EDITION

ROGUE SQUADRON: ROGUE LEADER: REBELLION: SEMI COLON

STAR FOX: DIMENSIONS

P.N. 03D (!!!!!!!!!!!)

MOTOR RALLY (think wii sports but all vehicle stuff)

RESIDENT EVIL 4: 3DS EDITION
-------------------------------------
this is too much fun.

Well, one things already on my mind. I skipped Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver because I'm getting too old for these things, but I'm getting the next Pokemon game for 3DS for sure!

If Nintendo goes all out with this, they will make the next Pokemon game a launch game with the 3DS.

I mean, there's got to be a reason they announced the next gen Pokemon game before HeartGold and SoulSilver came out here!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The more I think about this, the more enormous the potential implications are.

This is like the 2D to "3D" transition during the 90's in the console realm with respect to graphics. It's a quantum leap, a paradigm shift. Everyone can grasp its significance immediately, unlike this current HD era. With no bloody glasses.

An announcement this year is perfect timing too after Avatar. I wonder if they planned it this way.

If Nintendo can get a half decent launch lineup together, or maybe even just 1 or 2 showstoppers (not hard to do considering it's FUCKING 3D), this is going to be a MONSTER.

Axiom said:

3D gaming scares me.

Well, you should be only looking at one image. Which could be usable depending on the game design. And if it's enhanced by eye tracking you might get some effect? Maybe? Who knows?

mutsu

So maybe it's 3 DS stuck together with duct tape to create a 3D image!

Either way, I am really excited what Nintendo can come up with.

For the company to approve its release I am sure they would have plenty of crazy software to back it up. Really really excited.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
upandaway said:

It'll be out BEFORE March 2011 in "all" territories. Most likely at least one region (coughjapancough) will get it this year.

Tenbatsu

Laguna said:
Ok, if the specs really are comparable to GC the possibilitys for a Monster Hunter 3G on Nintendos handheld are more than high. That would be a real bad knockout for Sonys handheld in Japan.
MH3 Producer Ryozo Tsujimoto did mentioned that the title might appear on the next DS if the system online connectivity is good.

Durante

Amazing. I'm greatly looking forward to the 180 degree turn on the matter of 3D gaming by certain posters. Personally I can't wait!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Fuck imagine a 3D marble madness type game with tilt control I am fucking going crazy here!

This thing is going to make entirely new GENRES possible for the first time in a long time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BorkBork said:

This is like the 2D to "3D" transition during the 90's in the console realm with respect to graphics. It's a quantum leap, a paradigm shift. Everyone can grasp its significance immediately, unlike this current HD era.

An announcement this year is perfect timing too after Avatar. I wonder if they planned it this way.

If Nintendo can get a half decent launch lineup together, or maybe even just 1 or 2 showstoppers (not hard to do considering it's FUCKING 3D), this is going to be a MONSTER.

Mario 64 2: 3D

Lots of numbers but you get the idea. :lol The Galaxy games are now becoming their own self-contained series, so I can see them revisiting the Mario 64 framework for a paradigm this new.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Gamer @ Heart said:
Hypothetical Launch List 3

-List-

-------------------------------------
this is too much fun.
Hey, what about a new Phoenix Wright game? They could be pointing the fingers at ME :O

StopMakingSense said:
Well, you should be only looking at one image. Which could be usable depending on the game design. And if it's enhanced by eye tracking you might get some effect? Maybe? Who knows?

Nintendo must have considered that. If it really is a polarized filter in front of the screen, you can still get the 3D effect even if you close one eye, right? anyone?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For reference, the tech Hitachi is using for one of their mobile phones:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1597252/hitachi-3d-mobile-tips

854x480 3.1-inch auto-stereoscopic screen, single viewing angle.

When companies quote the resolution of these screens, is that the resolution per eye image, or does that resolution get split for each image? In either case, a screen such as that above would give resolution higher than DS for each eye, if I recall DS's resolution correctly.

upandaway

Hammer24 said:
If Nintendo can pull this off, everything 3D needing glasses will look dated and cumbersome. This is attacking f.i. Sony on several levels.
I don't even want to start thinking about how something like that is possible. We'll see at E3.

Maybe they'll just say "it works if you cover one of your eyes!!" :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Ten bucks says it works, it's awesome, and non-gaming handhelds start using the technology next year.

I can see Steve Jobs pimping the iPhone 3D from here.

SamBishop

Banned
Please don't let this be another underpowered system. I really, really want some serious juice behind this thing. Regardless, though, I'm officially counting the days until E3. 3D in any form is the future, and the more ubiquitous it is, the better.

This is fantastic news.

Zaptruder

Banned
How awesome would this be if they also include a little camera for head tracking purposes?

It would be like looking through a little window into another world!

I'm hopeful for a generation change in specs, rather than simply been an additional feature into an existing hardware platform like the DSi was.

LCfiner

BorkBork said:

This is like the 2D to "3D" transition during the 90's in the console realm with respect to graphics. It's a quantum leap, a paradigm shift. Everyone can grasp its significance immediately, unlike this current HD era.

deep breaths, people. deep breaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom