• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

Nessus said:
They could call it Virtual Boy! ..wait..
That would actually be very clever on their part. Self-referencing their past in the 3D and the Gameboy, as well as giving a good fitting name for a virtual handheld marketplace.

Jex

A very Nintendoish move, expectingly unexpected. I don't particularly like 3D but this is still a very cool announcement.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
Won't mean shit unless they finally animate the sprites. Or ditch the sprites and go for 3D models.

This gives them a perfect opportunity to finally go full 3D. :lol

Mr.NiceGuy

Why some of you are already pre-accusing Sony of stealing Nintendo's ideas ? wasn't Sony the first gaming company to endorse 3D technology and declare full support for it ?

Or is it just Nintendo fans acting crazy?

Majine

Banned
Mr.NiceGuy said:
Why some of you are already pre-accusing Sony of stealing Nintendo's ideas ? wasn't Sony the first gaming company to endorse 3D technology and declare full support for it ?

Without glaaaasseeeees.
:lol

But yeah.

Brinbe

Medalion said:
In 1996 that was the year of the N64, and the naming convention was to make games end in 64, not 3D.
Wayne_Gretzky%27s_3D_Hockey_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

Immediately came to mind. :lol

Lets start throwing make believe wish list launch titles out there:

SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE R3DUX

LUIGI'S MANSION: FUN HOUSE

PILOT WINGS: BLUE HORIZON (using accelerometer)

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

MADDEN NFL 2011 3D EDITION

Mik2121

This reminds me that on an interview with James Cameron after Avatar, he said that he saw 3D on small screens and said the effect was even easier to obtain, and looked even better, or something along those lines!.

Can't wait for this. Nintendo might be onto something really awesome :_)

Also, Slowtaku posting about this being late AND with wrong info is something that I guess will never change. Gotta love 'em...

SlipperySlope said:
It'd be funny if this 3D without the glasses thing puts the smack down on all of the new 3D TV's coming out. If there's one thing I hate wearing, it's 3D glasses.

I honestly do not think that they managed to get glasses-free real 3D right before anyone else.

In that case they should have started a new company, producing and selling hdtv's. :lol

Holy shit @ the announcement nonetheless.

hipgnosis

Medalion said:
In 1996 that was the year of the N64, and the naming convention was to make games end in 64, not 3D.
PS1 and other 3D-machines were out by then too you know. I remember walking into a gaming shop and every other game had 3D in it's title.

big_z

GCX said:
I want to visit Nintendo R&D. That has to be some kind of magical rainbow kingdom.

same here, they've been spending insane amounts of cash lately on that department so you know they're cooking up some incredible stuff.

rjcc

metareferential said:
I honestly do not think that they managed to get glasses-free real 3D right before anyone else.

In that case they should have started a new company, producing and selling hdtv's. :lol

3d on a handheld is far different from a TV.

unless you watch TV from one spot right in front of it, one person at a time and never move, and don't mind losing detail.

also, there already laptops out with these kinds of screens, they're not completely ahead of the curve, although we'll really have to wait and see exactly what it is to know.

Wow, Kotaku's article cites absolutely zero sources of this news, just previous links to what has been surmised to be the next handheld's features. So lazy.

k3nji

Wow, out of no where. I'm kind of excited and a bit worried at the same time. E3 2010 will rock. Cannot wait for all the epic gifs :lol

Praetorianer

Neo Member
Day one, of course. I mean, it's Nintendo! There have been SO many awesome games on both GBA and DS handhelds...for sure I spend more time playing on them than on either PS3, 360 or Wii.

Andrex said:
This gives them a perfect opportunity to finally go full 3D. :lol

Please god. They cant get away with just sprites for the 6th time on way more powerful hardware. That will mean way more development costs though if they have to incorporate all the old pokemon though....

Gamer @ Heart said:

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

STARFOX 3D

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Vigilant Walrus said:
I didn't know 3D was possible yet without glasses. Very interesting.

Apparently (it was news to me, too) parallax barriers have been around, and indeed commercialized, since 2002-2003.

Gamer @ Heart said:

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

Some sort of Rogue Squadron game please.

Gomu Gomu

Mr.NiceGuy said:

No Glasses fool.

MisterHero

Mr.NiceGuy said:

Sure if you ignore Nintendo's work on Super FX?

Not saying "Nintendo invented 3D!!111!!" but maybe you should stop while no one's ahead

except nintendo :p

ChuBoi

Banned
Actually, I just remembered the raging headache I received after watching Avatar in 3D, and my hype for he 3DS just sank.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
metareferential said:

Well the inherent nature of a handheld screen makes it a lot easier to achieve than a big screen for multiple viewers. I don't think it can be translated over quite that easily.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hmm.

*looks at date*

Well, this could be legit but...

*looks at date again*

Something tells me this will end hilariously, said hilarity due in around..8 days time?

Zzoram

So TVs and movies are failing to do 3D without glasses and Nintendo saves the day with a no-glass solution for their handheld. Nintendo is king.

Mael

see folk! this is how you do 3d, on something that can't/mustn't be entertaining to the people other than the player.
Without glasses to boot! I guess this is 3D even I can get behind...
Still a bit disappointed that it's only a gfx increase....but we don't know everything I guess (and accelerometer too, that would provide a funner smb experience I guess)

Provider

Stop It said:
Hmm.

*looks at date*

*looks at date again*

Something tells me this will end hilariously, said hilarity due in around..8 days time?

Yeah, like Nintendo's official website is gonna do that.

Gomu Gomu

Stop It said:
Hmm.

*looks at date*

*looks at date again*

It's an official PR man from the mother site. come on :lol .

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stop It said:
Hmm.

*looks at date*

*looks at date again*

The real April Fool's will have them saying this was the April Fool's joke.

Then the next day the punk us and say it's real again.

rjcc said:
3d on a handheld is far different from a TV.

unless you watch TV from one spot right in front of it, one person at a time and never move, and don't mind losing detail.

also, there already laptops out with these kinds of screens, they're not completely ahead of the curve, although we'll really have to wait and see exactly what it is to know.

Maybe the tech is there but its only viable for small screens.

BorkBork said:
Well the inherent nature of a handheld screen makes it a lot easier to achieve than a big screen for multiple viewers. I don't think it can be translated over quite that easily.

Well, it's reasonable enough, you're right.

Man, imagine if Nintendo were SMART and launched this thing with a movies on demand download service, with Avatar (*spit*) in 3D at launch.

Laguna

Banned
Ok, if the specs really are comparable to GC the possibilitys for a Monster Hunter 3G on Nintendos handheld are more than high. That would be a real bad knockout for Sonys handheld in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom