• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydogg691

Damn, looks like I might just cancel my XL purchase. 3D without the use of glasses sounds very interesting. Hopefully this means Sony will release a new handheld system too.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
PantherLotus said:
Let's be honest. If anything good comes from this, it probably isn't Miyamoto. He'd probably design a sewing game that reminded him of his grandmother or something. But damn that screen would be expensive to replace after you tried threading the stylus through it a couple times.

I think that supports Costanza's theory of one screen being touch and the other being 3D.

Dogenzaka

Banned
VsRobot said:
Nintendo US has to be pissed at what this is going to do to DSi XL sales. I know I'm not going to get one now, and I was considering before.

I imagine the 3 D effect will be somewhat like a view-master--multiple planes, but no depth to the foreground images.

Nintendo should consider releasing hardware nearly world-wide at the same time.

5 months is funny.

MisterHero

PantherLotus said:
Let's be honest. If anything good comes from this, it probably isn't Miyamoto. He'd probably design a sewing game that reminded him of his grandmother or something. But damn that screen would be expensive to replace after you tried threading the stylus through it a couple times.
Nintendogs II will cause everyone susceptible to puppy cuteness to never want to play anything else again

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kobun Heat said:
With the Sony PSP3D, how else?

Sony_Revolution2.jpg

Ravidrath

Updating this a little...

This was floating around GDC as being confirmed by people working on the hardware.

What I've heard is...

1) Two screens, with virtually no seam between them when open
2) Screens are larger and higher resolution, but exact resolution is unknown
3) Powered by nVidia Tegra
4) Roughly as powerful as a Gamecube, and apparently similar to program for
5) Uses carts - believed to be same physical size as DS/DSi carts, only with different guts
6) Due out in 2010 in at least one territory
7) Accelerometer for motion control

Looking forward to seeing it.​

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheGreatDave said:
When you're dealing with screens with a relatively fixed viewing angle that are pretty small, it seems to be possible by just having two screens aligned slightly off from each other showing two different images.

What, like the cross-eye technique? :lol

It'll be an autostereoscopic display or displays. There's been enough of them out there, just google around and you'll see stuff from various CES shows. They've shortcomings vs stereoscopic glasses, which is why most of the industry is pressing on with glasses for now, but these shortcomings may not matter nearly as much within the constraints of a handheld system.

iceatcs

Wow amazing!

All I want to see Natal on E3 has just *poof*
Felt bad for MS because all media will fall over 3DS. Luckly for Sony show the name and real demo before E3.

Spike

Thank you for saving me $200, Nintendo! I was all ready to buy the DSi XL, then they announce the successor and that it will be backwards compatible. Now I can wait.

Medalion

Banned
If a nintendo handheld has this kind of technology, wonder what the new WII or new nintendo console will be like...probably 3D and high def and more?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
One thing that's most likely going to suck is the price. I don't see it selling for anything below $199. I don't like this trend of more and more expensive handhelds.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LCfiner said:
I can’t imagine that being baked into the price of the console. The Kindle allows it because books are tiny. There are major restrictions in the new SDK for what can be downloaded over the free 3g service.

it wouldn’t work for games.

if it’s included, it’ll be pay as you go, like the iPad.

Iwata said he's absolutely opposed to making customers pay for it, so if it happens at all, it'll be free.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just for fun, now imagine 3D with motion.

Hey, guys. This thing is able to do 3D because Nintendo can control the screen. They won't be able to control the screen for their next console unless they start selling glasses.

Jackano

Honnestly, I don't see that coming.

What about the DS historic record? What about the 200M mark? Frakk.
Oh, and day one!

GDGF

Soothsayer
If you can (and I know it's been a while), try to imagine the 3D effect of the virtual boy, but in full color. Beautiful stuff.

Gunpei Yokoi is smiling from heaven.

quetz67

Banned
Medalion said:
If a nintendo handheld has this kind of technology, wonder what the new WII or new nintendo console will be like...probably 3D and high def and more?
The technolgy is nothing special and completely different from 3D tech for TVs

Dogenzaka

Banned
BorkBork said:
One thing that's most likely going to suck is the price. I don't see it selling for anything below $199. I don't like this trend of more and more expensive handhelds.

I bought a DS at launch so I'm ready I suppose.

Himajin

Animaniac said:
OH YOUR GOD.

How the FUCK does it work without glasses??

On of the early quotes from Nintendo mentioned that it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing. This sounds a lot like the 3D may be implemented through the camera tracking the user's eyes and projecting the correct 3D image that way, rather than a parallax implementation. There was some information about this tech at Cebit:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/190888/researchers_chase_3d_without_the_glasses.html

squinters

astigmatic
Glad I held off on spending cash to fix my Lite's broken hinge. This new DS sounds awesome.

Glad to hear it's backwards compatible as well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
souvlakispacestation said:
Sounds like a good way to curb piracy & emus, as you surely won't be able to play the games in 3D on a PC monitor.

If [3d screen]
then [output 3d image]
prompt [user to wear glasses]

This does nothing to stop pirates.

Blablurn

i wonder if the wii successor will also enter the 3D market. i mean, sony is doing it first this summer. the surprise effect wouldn't be as big as it was with motion controls. another possibilty: they are doing something completely new for the next wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom