• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
OneEightZero said:
Like this?

GBA_GCconnected.gif

But without the wire?

Without the wire, with persistent games/worlds, motion, 3D projectors, internet connection, and itunes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MisterHero said:
To be honest I'm really not surprised

Miyamoto said that they were thinking about 3D but asserted that anything that would require the player to wear something (like glasses) should not be necessarry

Which gives me hope based on his Kindle comments. Free, accessible-everywhere wireless for online gaming and downloading sounds positively awesome.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Oh, and expect Sony to copy this! :D

3DS vs PSP 2 makes the PSP 2 sound old. They should name it something with at least a 3 in it as well. The PSP 360 would work.

Cosmozone

The last thing I heard from Nintendo regarding a 3D handheld was a patent about a bulky dome-like thing. I'm now much more excited. Great news!

PantherLotus said:
Well I'm actually disappointed. I thought the next DS would also be the next Wii controller. Doesn't sound like it now.

Dreams are meant to be Cast aside.

Dreamcast controller rocks faces

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey stop asking for the .pdf. It's just a paragraph of un-copyable text. I took a screenie of it and posted it a couple times already. Literally everything we know about the thing* is in the title of the thread.

*and it's backwards compatible.

WOW this came out of nowhere holy shit nintendo holy fucking shit

and when I say this came out of nowhere, I mean the 3D screen - not the handheld itself. It was fairly obvious that it would be announced by E3, though I didn't expect an announcement THIS soon! TUESDAYTON!

Animaniac said:
OH YOUR GOD.

How the FUCK does it work without glasses??

When you're dealing with screens with a relatively fixed viewing angle that are pretty small, it seems to be possible by just having two screens aligned slightly off from each other showing two different images.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
PantherLotus said:
Hey stop asking for the .pdf. It's just a paragraph of un-copyable text. I took a screenie of it and posted it a couple times already. Literally everything we know about the thing is in the title of the thread.

Kind of crazy the pandemonium that is coming from a 1 sheet PDF.

meppi

vantastic said:
wow, just wow.
i can't believe any of the posts in this thread. :lol
you guys are already saving up for a system you know nothing about besides nintendo + 3d. hilarious
We'll see you in 2 years, in the thread that's making fun of all the doubters once again.

It's funny, new generation, same old dumb shit.

ntropy

madara said:
This is nintendo though so I have to believe that its decent tech for them to make the jump and call this the DS successor. Plus if I am thinking of this right it could do wonders for 2D as well.
i figure they want a slice of that monster hunter pie

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You gotta know that Miyamoto was the cause of this. "Hey Iwata, I wanna make a 3D game but I can't do it on our current systems."

"Bam. Done."

Pikmin 3DS?

markot

Banned
Why would you want multi touch on a screen that is that small >.>

Your hand would cover most of the screen... Stylus ftw!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
grandjedi6 said:
The fact that they spent the time photoshoping that picture...
Also, the pics they used? Not even pics from wherever they keep their image files. Literally the first GIS result for Miyamoto + DS, and the first pic on the GIS of 3d glasses that would work for where Miyamoto was facing.

Shoulda spent that time, I dunno, reading the PARAGRAPH you were sourcing this from?

vantastic said:
wow, just wow.
i can't believe any of the posts in this thread. :lol
you guys are already saving up for a system you know nothing about besides nintendo + 3d. hilarious

This may have the opposite effect of the DS. Everybody hated it and it became successful. People here didn't expect much because it was weird. Now, everyone expects success and the hype is going to be extreme. Expect massive GAF backlash after it comes out.

This sounds too awesome :D I can't wait to see it in action. 3D without glasses is the future.

It would be very interesting to see what is going on at Sony right now.

Andrex said:
You gotta know that Miyamoto was the cause of this. "Hey Iwata, I wanna make a 3D game but I can't do it on our current systems."

"Bam. Done."

Pikmin 3DS?
Dude. This has to be exactly what happened. Nintendo is unreal when it comes to this stuff.

tzare

i do not really see that 3d thing on a portable system, but i love the specs, that would be better than psp and that is goooooooood news :)

I hope what button layout will use, and if it will have analog nubs/sticks XD

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ravidrath said:
BTW, it's really odd they did this now.

Were they trying to get out ahead of something? A competitor's announcement? A leak?

Maybe they're just trying to get their stock price even higher, a week before the end of fiscal?

There's been rumours about a DS2 floating around for a while. I think they wanted to announce 'the interesting bit' on their own terms.

KTallguy said:
Confirmed no multitouch?

The big question mark. Maybe you can mix a 2D touch interface with 3D. Maybe one screen is 3D, one not? Maybe the bottom screen is touch, top screen 3D?

Or maybe they'll do something different...maybe they'll have cameras or sensors on it that'll let you do 'air' touching in 3D ala augmented reality stuff. That would be more interesting of course.

I wonder what the screen will be like. I mean, I wonder if the characteristics - and shortcomings - of autostereoscopic screens happen to particularly meld neatly with portable viewing. For example, you can assume a pretty fixed centered viewing angle which probably helps.

Well, regardless, anything that helps push 3D is good in my book.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Andrex said:

"Bam. Done."

Pikmin 3DS?

STOP IT! Lalalalalalala I REFUSE to invest an otherworldly amount of hype into game ideas for this.

Levi

Banned
Nintendo US has to be pissed at what this is going to do to DSi XL sales. I know I'm not going to get one now, and I was considering before.

I imagine the 3 D effect will be somewhat like a view-master--multiple planes, but no depth to the foreground images.

Apath

MotorbreathX said:
This may have the opposite effect of the DS. Everybody hated it and it became successful. People here didn't expect much because it was weird. Now, everyone expects success and the hype is going to be extreme. Expect massive GAF backlash after it comes out.
Actually I'm just excited at the potential of a practical 3D application. I'm honestly not sure what to expect of the handheld's success until I can actually see it in the flesh.

simtmb

Great news but man i gotta start using my DSi more. I've had it since launch but only recently started playing on the damn thing :lol

:'(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Let's be honest. If anything good comes from this, it probably isn't Miyamoto. He'd probably design a sewing game that reminded him of his grandmother or something. But damn that screen would be expensive to replace after you tried threading the stylus through it a couple times.

GCX

So far 3DS's reveal is going just like DS's. Announcement before E3, full blowout at E3 and release before the end of the year.

LCfiner

Andrex said:
Which gives me hope based on his Kindle comments. Free, accessible-everywhere wireless for online gaming and downloading sounds positively awesome.

I can’t imagine that being baked into the price of the console. The Kindle allows it because books are tiny. There are major restrictions in the new SDK for what can be downloaded over the free 3g service.

it wouldn’t work for games.

if it’s included, it’ll be pay as you go, like the iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom