• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
souvlakispacestation said:
Sounds like a good way to curb piracy & emus, as you surely won't be able to play the games in 3D on a PC monitor.
I think most DS piracy is on DS hardware with the carts.

Maybe this E3 will be like Spaceworld and the real surprise will be the next home system. People are like, "OMG NEW HANDHELD!" Powering 5 trillion hype trains to E3 and BAM! Nintendo pulls some Apple shit and straight up kills everyone in the room with WiiHD.

ChuBoi

Banned
Did anyone else have to do a double take at the thread title? I thought it was an old thread about Iwata saying the DS2 would be hi-res :lol

Chris R

Sounds like a good way to curb piracy & emus, as you surely won't be able to play the games in 3D on a PC monitor.
Don't think the pirates are playing their Nintendo DS games on a PC... More likely they are playing said games on a Nintendo DS.

manzo

GDGF said:
I would love to see a few 2D sidescrollers with the true 3D effect. Can you imagine how godly parallax scrolling would look on this machine? :lol

:O

:O :O
:O :O :O

Holy fucking shit

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LCfiner said:
then I guess it won’t happen.

After this announcement you're doubting the batshit insane places Nintendo will go?

Not saying it'll happen but discounting it right off seems shortsighted.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yoboman said:
Lol I'm sure if Sony comes out with a PSP3D at E3 it'll have been developed in the two months before E3

Yeah, cos Sony has clearly expressed no interest in 3D...

I honestly would hope they don't though. Or at least not make it the only new thing. Then it would just be PSP all over again - 'home games' on a portable system.

Indeed, on the same note I'd be very shocked if Nintendo of all people saw a new visual system as the justification for a new system. I'm guessing there'll be at least some new kind of interaction system also, perhaps 'air touch' with sensors and stuff.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bistromathics said:
10 bucks says it's like:

9v8py1.png

(view magic-eye style, in case you didn't know)

I wouldn't be tossing around bets like that. Nintendo isn't going to make a system like the magic eye.

Of course they are going to throw an accelerometer in there. It would be silly if they didnt at this point. Now the iphone doesnt have much to stand out at that point.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If the system is popular enough, it will be broken. Nothing has ever stopped pirates, and whilst the PS3 is doing a mighty job at it I imagine it will fall eventually.

It'd be funny if this 3D without the glasses thing puts the smack down on all of the new 3D TV's coming out. If there's one thing I hate wearing, it's 3D glasses.

*looks at calendar*

*eyes narrow*

this better not be an elaborate April Fool's joke.

on another note, why would anyone buy the DSi XL now?

Instro

Man wow I did not see the 3D thing coming at all, way to go Nintendo. So holiday release with new Pokemon? My money is ready.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
PantherLotus said:
I wouldn't be tossing around bets like that. Nintendo isn't going to make a system like the magic eye.
how else you get 3d w/ no glasses unless you use optical tricks?

2 screens w/ no margins sounds ripe for stereoscopic display

Ravidrath said:
Updating this a little...

This was floating around GDC as being confirmed by people working on the hardware.

What I've heard is...

1) Two screens, with virtually no seam between them when open
2) Screens are larger and higher resolution, but exact resolution is unknown
3) Powered by nVidia Tegra
4) Roughly as powerful as a Gamecube, and apparently similar to program for
5) Uses carts - believed to be same physical size as DS/DSi carts, only with different guts
6) Due out in 2010 in at least one territory
7) Accelerometer for motion control

Looking forward to seeing it.​
That sounds pretty fucking awesome. Can't wait to see what games Nintendo cooks for the thing too.

Benson

3D gaming on a hand-held? I just get images of nauseousness and headaches. I think 3d is best suited to an environment where you aren't moving around, imagine staring into a 3d screen on a bumpy car ride, eughhh.

Majine

Banned
Let's get this out about 3D: If Ninty is doing it, it's no longer a fad. It's here to stay. Quote me on that. :lol

Cep

Banned
Talon- said:
Joke post?

No, he is simply cementing this moment as an epic gaf moment by being one of the crazy naysayers.

He is doing us a great service. He deserves your respect!

ChuBoi

Banned
Wow, I'm actually really happy that I'm going to E3 this year. I wont mind the sore feet if I get my hands on this bad boy. Time to hunt down a ticket to the Nintendo presser.

rpmurphy

Aokage said:
2ch has already done an impressive mockup.

833c4f03.jpg

Mock if old.
Ironically enough, this is pretty much what I'm imagining it to be like. If there is basically no gap between the two screens, then it makes sense -- it uses the two screens for a perspective thing. And with the use of an internal accelerometer, tilting the system would not be an issue.

LCfiner

Andrex said:
After this announcement you're doubting the batshit insane places Nintendo will go?

Not saying it'll happen but discounting it right off seems shortsighted.

it’s not Nintendo that I doubt. It’s the cell companies that Nintendo would need to work with.

There is no way, NO WAY, they are gonna allow a device to download hundreds of megabytes of data each month and not force a monthly fee.

seriously, the new Amazon Kindle SDK limits app downloads to something in the kilobytes range because of restrictions in the contract that they have with their 3G providers.

Nintendo would be cockblocked by the guys who control the pipes. And if there’s no monthly fee then that means that either the device would cost a fortune (not happening) or the 3G data is removed or limited to extremely tiny usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom