• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

- J - D -

In the history of Nintendo portables, the DS lite is the only device that succeeded it's predecessor in a time span of less than 2 years, right?

All others have been 2 years or more, so it's not likely that we will see an updated/revised 3DS next year.

Ramenman

They have Layton at launch !

THEY HAVE LAYTON AT LAUNCH !!

I hate them ;_;

(do we even have a estimated date for Layton 4 on DS ?)

dvolovets

Ramenman said:
(do we even have a estimated date for Layton 4 on DS ?)
Nope. :( Not really a reason to worry, though, since Unwound Future was released a few months after it was announced for the US.

Cosmonaut X said:
Really? How do you reckon that?

Surely the "sweet spot" for a parallax barrier LCD would be larger with a larger screen.
I've got a larger screen, an 8 inch 3D photo frame. The sweet spot remains exactly the same size, but with a bigger screen, there's a larger area in front of it that you expect to be able to see the picture from. It's a lot harder to figure out exactly where the center is to get the effect.

heringer

I had an idea for an AR mode for SSFIV. I wonder if it could work.

Basically you would place two cards perfectly aligned in front of each other to set an axis, a 2D plane for the the fighters. Assuming the system could recognize that, you could even set the size of the "battlefield", relatively to the space between the two cards (each card creating a fighter). It would be awesome to have Ryu and Ken fighting on your dinner table. And watching the fight from the angle you want. :p

heringer said:

Basically you would place two cards perfectly aligned in front of each other to set an axis, a 2D plane for the the fighters. Assuming the system could recognize that, you could even set the size of the "battlefield", relatively to the space between the two cards (each card creating a fighter). It would be awesome to have Ryu and Ken fighting on your dinner table. And watching the fight from the angle you want. :p

Perfectly possible, but I doubt Capcom will implement it.

WillyFive

Billychu said:
I hate the logo being on the right side when it's been on the left since the original Gameboy.

Really? I think that's really cool.

The problem is that it's still using the original DS logo. A passing bystander with no knowledge of what the position of the bar means is going to think it's for the original DS.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Willy105 said:

The problem is that it's still using the original DS logo. A passing bystander with no knowledge of what the position of the bar means is going to think it's for the original DS.
That's not true. Those who have no knowledge of the position of the bar also don't know the original DS logo, and will automatically recognize the red "3" in front of the "DS".

The similarities between the logo is probably the cause why they decided to change the bar positioning.

Willy105 said:

You forget that the cases are white instead of black this time, so they'll definitely look different when comparing the two to the average consumer.

Shiggy

Chet Rippo said:
You forget that the cases are white instead of black this time, so they'll definitely look different when comparing the two to the average consumer.

So are the very few DSi titles.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Chet Rippo said:
American black DS cases are so amazing compared to the messed up translucent crap in europe

M3d10n

Gravijah said:
white cases are meh :(
gangster-town-for-segaj76z.jpg

All this talk of black and white just made me remember something. Going by the boxart for CERO C and D titles we've seen its possible the black box is being reserved for those mature titles. NCL did this with Wii titles from 2010 I think so it might just be a Japan only thing but who knows. What I'm saying is black may not be dead yet.
I hope transparency isn't either and we get some real inner cover art not "join Club Nintendo"...for christs sake NOE if you're going to spend money getting that sided printed it would be worth doing more...

As for that master system boxart...if I had an image editor installed currently I would do the Bowser's Inside Story boxart in that style (given the background is already white its the easiest one to do as all you're doing is deleting a logo, replacing it with generic text adding the white line and possibly making the artwork look worse)....

heringer said:

I had the same idea about an hypotetical Pokemon 3DS yesterday !

rpmurphy

JonStark said:
Why am I F5'ing this thread every minute since 1 hour ?

NINTENDO? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME ? ;'(
Maybe you should wait until people actually get it in their hands first. lol
I don't know why I keep checking these threads as often as I am either. :p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I haven't followed 3ds news at all, I'm really intersted in how old DS games look on the system.

Sharper? Blurrier? Not the optimal way to play them, or an improvement?

mattiewheels said:
I haven't followed 3ds news at all, I'm really intersted in how old DS games look on the system.

Sharper? Blurrier? Not the optimal way to play them, or an improvement?

They're a tad blurrier, from some accounts I've seen. Nothing major.

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
How many total 3DS units does cvxfreak have preorders for? We need a shot of him picking them all up and the look on peoples faces.

Hah, I already distributed them all to my friends. Because I'm such a kind person. :(

Luigiv

Dreamwriter said:
with its screen technology, the larger the screen the harder it is to find/remain in the sweet spot for 3D, so it can't really get larger (XL-style) either.
I pretty sure that's incorrect (there are plenty of larger Parallax barrier displays being developed) but making the dot pitch smaller does run the risk of making the barrier itself visible causing an ugly pinstripe effect. How much larger the screen can be really depends on how close the 3DS's display is to the dot pitch threshold that makes the barrier visible. The current screen is sitting at a pretty cool 267ppi horizontally, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair bit of wiggle room there.

Edit:
Dreamwriter said:
I've got a larger screen, an 8 inch 3D photo frame. The sweet spot remains exactly the same size, but with a bigger screen, there's a larger area in front of it that you expect to be able to see the picture from. It's a lot harder to figure out exactly where the center is to get the effect.
Oh so that's what you meant. That doesn't sound like a limitation of the tech, that sounds more like the manufacturer positioned the sweet spot a little too far or close to be intuitive. That can however be adjusted by positioning the barrier closer or further away from the screen.

cvxfreak said:
Hah, I already distributed them all to my friends. Because I'm such a kind person. :(

I might have to hit you up for one someday in the future when there are lots of Japan only games I want for 3DS. I would compensate you some yens.

cvxfreak

MidnightScott said:
I might have to hit you up for one someday in the future when there are lots of Japan only games I want for 3DS. I would compensate you some yens.

No need for compensation. You'd just have to understand that you can only use FedEx, UPS or DHL to ship outside of Japan because the Japanese Post Office has an irrational fear of shipping things with lithium ion batteries. :(

cvxfreak said:
No need for compensation. You'd just have to understand that you can only use FedEx, UPS or DHL to ship outside of Japan because the Japanese Post Office has an irrational fear of shipping things with lithium ion batteries. :(

Well you are the most awesome person in Japan if you are doing this stuff for free. Now I know someone in Japan who can help me out, whooo. But yeah I wouldn't mind using a courier shipping method. What is it, like $20-$30?

cvxfreak

MidnightScott said:
Well you are the most awesome person in Japan if you are doing this stuff for free. Now I know someone in Japan who can help me out, whooo. But yeah I wouldn't mind using a courier shipping method. What is it, like $20-$30?
Around $100. :/

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The hype will die for this system surprisingly soon after launch.

It'll tragically always be defined by its gimmick even though many will point out in vain that it's a normal system once the 3D effect is turned off.

People will call it a turning point in Nintendo's history but won't realize that Nintendo paved this road for themselves long before when they ignored the lessons being demonstrated by the smartphone boom.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lazy8s said:
The hype will die for this system surprisingly soon after launch.

It'll tragically always be defined by its gimmick even though many will point out in vain that it's a normal system once the 3D effect is turned off.

People will call it a turning point in Nintendo's history but won't realize that Nintendo paved this road for themselves long before when they ignored the lessons being demonstrated by the smartphone boom.
Whatever you say, guy from the alternative future where the wrong is right.

Top Bottom