• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Call me crazy, but the launch title I'm looking forward the most is Super Monkey Ball.

I just love the series. I know how great Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 are... but did you guys play Banana Blitz entirely? The game gets extremely good after the initial worlds.

And the DS version was also excellent.

I'm pretty sure the game won't disappoint.

Fernando Rocker said:
Call me crazy, but the launch title I'm looking forward the most is Super Monkey Ball.

I just love the series. I know how great Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 are... but did you guys play Banana Blitz entirely? The game gets extremely good after the initial worlds.

Yeah about that.. This isn't really like the Monkey Ball games of old. This is more like a minigame collection.

Vinterbird said:
Yeah about that.. This isn't really like the Monkey Ball games of old. This is more like a minigame collection.

Of course not. It's a real Super Monkey Ball game.

Problem is, people have only seen the first couple of worlds, and they seem very easy. Same thing happened with Banana Blitz. But like I said, the game got challenging in the later worlds.

Fernando Rocker said:

i'm hyped for that as well, someone working on the game said it had 8 worlds with 10 stages each so there is a game in here.

Just no monkey target makes me :(

Can't wait to see new vids later this week

dvolovets

Fernando Rocker said:

Problem is, people have only seen the first couple of worlds, and they seem very easy. Same thing happened with Banana Blitz. But like I said, the game got challenging in the later worlds.
I watched a few videos of Worlds 6 and 7 on YouTube, and the damn rails are all over the place. Game looks like shit, unfortunately.

mehdi_san said:
I finally got to try it today at the Kyoto Bic Camera. It's awesome but I have literally no interest at all in any of the launch titles :( I still don't know if I'll get the system on day one...

see, that is what I am worried about...the system, concept looks great and I can see big things...but that launch lineup sucks...and should I decide to skip the launch, is Nintendo going to pull a wii-like release schedule of consoles; or am I going to get eBay gouged...

Did you get a chance to have any interaction with the virtual console or games? (I notice super mario land tends to be the go to for the 3DS as of late)

that might be the deciding factor as to keep my reserve with Amazon

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Fernando Rocker said:

There is a blind hate on the MB franchise after the first one. It's like people critizice it from the screenshots, and some very poor impressions (like the dude that played it with 3D AND using tilt controls, which is the worst way to play it, because the 3D effect goes if you tilt the screen...). People say it's a bunch of minigames, because they only saw the screenshots and more than half of those where about the minigames. They fail to realize that most MB games have the core game with more than 100 levels, and they have minigames as a completely other part of the game.

This one will be an awesome game, because of the thumb pad; much better than the DS game (touchscreen controls weren't done very well, but it was the only way to have precision, still finished it).

manueldelalas said:
There is a blind hate on the MB franchise after the first one. It's like people critizice it from the screenshots, and some very poor impressions (like the dude that played it with 3D AND using tilt controls, which is the worst way to play it, because the 3D effect goes if you tilt the screen...). People say it's a bunch of minigames, because they only saw the screenshots and more than half of those where about the minigames. They fail to realize that most MB games have the core game with more than 100 levels, and they have minigames as a completely other part of the game.

This one will be an awesome game, because of the thumb pad; much better than the DS game (touchscreen controls weren't done very well, but it was the only way to have precision, still finished it).

Totally agree with you.

Is anyone actually ordering this? 460 bucks for a region locked console with no interesting games

BTW are there any AAA games getting release any time soon?

Gravijah

Lovely Salsa said:
Is anyone actually ordering this? 460 bucks for a region locked console with no interesting games

Matters how you define AAA games.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lovely Salsa said:

With the American launch only a month later and the region-locking, nope; will wait for the American version. I might have taken the plunge if it wasn't being marked up $210 higher. It's typical for imports, but it still seems insane with the system so close to release outside Japan.

I am only planning on getting a 3DS because of SSF4, and to a lesser extent, DOA, anyway. Also interested in Ridge Racer and the two Resident Evil games (both of which aren't launch titles, booo), but TBH aside from portable SSF4, I'm not very hyped for this system's launch at all.

Amir0x

Banned
Lovely Salsa said:
Go on, I'm listening...

Never heard of that one before, any gameplay videos? What is the game about?

it's like a 99 cent store puzzle book but with pretty art. you walk around and every single person has some brain teaser for you.

they've made like twenty two sequels already. Pick up one of the Layton games for the original DS to try it out

- J - D -

Not that Metacritic is the be-all, end-all of my buying decisions, but I don't think there are any games in the 3DS line-up (Japan or otherwise) that'll crack about a 90 aggregate.

Still, I consider Nintendogs and Pilotwings AAA.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Lovely Salsa said:
Go on, I'm listening...

Not sure how you've never heard of it before. It's a big hit in the west as well.

"The series has gone on to be one of the most successful Nintendo DS exclusive series, with the lifetime cumulative sales of Professor Layton games standing at 10 million units sold as of October 2010."

And it gets good reviews as well.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future 86%
Professor Layton and the Curious Village 85%
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box 84%

bon

dvolovets said:
I watched a few videos of Worlds 6 and 7 on YouTube, and the damn rails are all over the place. Game looks like shit, unfortunately.
Has it been confirmed that the rails are permanent? Seems like something that would be optional.

dvolovets

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Not that Metacritic is the be-all, end-all of my buying decisions, but I don't think there are any games in the 3DS line-up (Japan or otherwise) that'll crack about a 90 aggregate.

Still, I consider Nintendogs and Pilotwings AAA.
Well, from the sound of it, Professor Layton 5 is a worthy follow-up to the DS prequels and does a fair amount of new things to shake up the formula, while both Street Fighter IV and Dead or Alive are almost like the "best-of" for each series. 90+ aggregate or not, they will no doubt be excellent games and will hopefully sell accordingly.

I don't own a DS, maybe thats why I haven't heard of it :s

Anyway I've watched the trailer and it looked pretty interesting, but not enough to convince me to buy a new handheld. I'll just wait until a new super mario bros/castlevania/whatever game type shows up

I am surprised that not many are interested in getting professor layton if they already know japanese well. That would be a launch game for me if I was in such a position myself. I have not played any of the games, but I know every entry has been solid and I like the style of game it is.

Izayoi

Banned
Lovely Salsa said:
Go on, I'm listening...

It's basically a classic point-and-click adventure with gorgeous art and lots of fun little puzzles. Each game you solve a different mystery.

I just picked up the first three games recently, and am a quarter of the way through the second one. I've loved every second so far.

Think if Phoenix Wright had no courtroom and way more puzzle mini-games. And voice-acting and cutscenes.

Edit: No DS, huh? Well, when you do get one, definitely check out both Layton and Phoenix Wright.

Marvelous President: Half Of Our Titles Will Be For 3DS

Nakayama said half of their games that go on sale this year will be for Nintendo 3DS. So far, Marvelous has four games slated for release this year: Rune Factory Oceans, Night of the Sacrifice, Half-Minute Hero Second, and the only 3DS game in their current lineup Animal Resort: Let’s Build A Zoo.
Rune Factory, Contact, Luminous Arc, Avalon Code, No More Heroes and etc!

Don't make me wait dear Marvelous.

- J - D -

dvolovets said:
Well, from the sound of it, Professor Layton 5 is a worthy follow-up to the DS prequels and does a fair amount of new things to shake up the formula, while both Street Fighter IV and Dead or Alive are almost like the "best-of" for each series. 90+ aggregate or not, they will no doubt be excellent games and will hopefully sell accordingly.

Oh I agree, the games you mentioned are all seemingly excellent choices for the 3DS buyer at launch. I just wish there was that big game that would score high and immediately appeal to the majority of gamers, like a high-profile platformer or something completely unique. The 3DS launch doesn't really have one.

Speaking of metacritic, something that hasn't really been discussed is the potential reaction the gaming press and reviewers will have to the launch games. I fear that 3DS games will have lukewarm or jaded reactions because of how familiar most of the titles are.

Gravijah said:
FWIW, there are only 7 DS games with a metacritic 90+.

That's very weird, considering that the Nintendo DS is easily one of the best systems ever made. The library of this system little system is amazing. Both the first and third party support is great.

In my opinion, the DS has a way better library than both the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice thread to come back to :)

Totally psyched. Preorder ready (US of course), launch games picked (SSF4 and Steel Diver) and just totally looking forward to seeing this thing take off like a bullet bill. Just around the corner now!

Sammy Samusu said:

It begins!
Or it continues to begin, rather.

Truth101

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:

I really hope that a new Harvest moon, is released by Christmas. But, I guess I would still have to wait at least a year for Natsume to localize it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lovely Salsa said:

SF4 will be the best fighting game you could dream of to be played on the go. Best competitive game ever, on the go. Win. PES seems to be the showcase game for 3D, and based on commercial footage and impressions it's awesome. If you don't like fighting games or soccer games, then I can understand your disappointment. Moreso if you have no interest in Pilotwings. To me these games are must buy.

Top Bottom