• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

jay

Fernando Rocker said:
That's very weird, considering that the Nintendo DS is easily one of the best systems ever made. The library of this system little system is amazing. Both the first and third party support is great.

In my opinion, the DS has a way better library than both the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.

Handheld titles do not get high scores frequently.

The Wii has the fewest 90 and above rankings of the current console bunch, at 11. The PSP has 3 and the DS 7.

Sammy Samusu said:
Rune Factory, Contact, Luminous Arc, Avalon Code, No More Heroes and etc!

Don't make me wait dear Marvelous.
They best get Harvest Moon done and give it to Natsume so they can spend 10 years localizing it already it. I want it nowww.

Anth0ny

marc^o^ said:
SF4 will be the best fighting game you could dream to be played on the go. Best competitive game ever, on the go. Win.

Yup. Why play on a big TV with an arcade stick when I could play "on the go"?

Pokemon is fun on the go. Tetris is fun on the go. Hell, even Zelda is fun on the go. Street Fighter does not work on the go.

Yet, I'm still picking it up cause this awful launch has nothing better to offer >_>

Super Street Fighter IV has a Metacritic score of 92, the recent Professor Layton got 86, Super Monkeyball has ranged from 81 to 56, DOA 4 got 85, Nintendogs got 83, Pro Evo tends to run from 80's to 90's...the lineup has some fairly solid games and franchises in it.

Anth0ny said:

Pokemon is fun on the go. Tetris is fun on the go. Hell, even Zelda is fun on the go. Street Fighter does not work on the go.

Yet, I'm still picking it up cause this awful launch has nothing better to offer >_>
Have you actually played Street Fighter "on the go"? If not, how would you know it doesn't work on the go? I can't think of a single reason why any game wouldn't be playable or fun just because the controller and screen are part of the same unit. For example, you talk about a "big TV" - the size of the screen doesn't matter if it's just a foot or less away from your face. And arcade stick? That's a very small niche audience, 90% of the people playing fighting games are playing with the controller that came with their game system.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Anth0ny said:

I could tell you pokemon is not fun at all, but I won't. People like it, good for them.
I already like Street Fighter on my iPhone, and on 3DS it will be oh so much better than that. Good for me.

Besides I always prefered playing Street Fighter with a SNES pad over an arcade stick. Must be because I played 500 hours of SF2 on my console and 5 hours max in the arcades.

Truth101

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
They best get Harvest Moon done and give it to Natsume so they can spend 10 years localizing it already it. I want it nowww.

I'm still waiting on Twin Villages to be localized, so I'm dreading on how long it will take for them to localize a new Harvest Moon.

Truth101 said:
I'm still waiting on Twin Villages to be localized, so I'm dreading on how long it will take for them to localize a new Harvest Moon.
It always puzzled me, what takes so long to localize Harvest Moon games? They seem to be a decently easy task considering the lack of any voice acting. Isn't it just a matter of translating text? Yet it takes them forever.

Having a killer adventure game is what draws me to a new console launch. Even with the DS we had Mario 64 DS, which despite its shortcomings was still pretty fun and a lengthy game. Plus we had the Metroid Hunters demo, which was a neat novelty. With this system what is my adventure game? Pilotwings and Steel Diver seem like cool side attractions but not meaty enough to keep me glued to the system for days.

evilromero said:
Having a killer adventure game is what draws me to a new console launch. Even with the DS we had Mario 64 DS, which despite its shortcomings was still pretty fun and a lengthy game. Plus we had the Metroid Hunters demo, which was a neat novelty. With this system what is my adventure game? Pilotwings and Steel Diver seem like cool side attractions but not meaty enough to keep me glued to the system for days.
Maybe Lego Star Wars? Or Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, it's supposed to be a 30 hour game. (thinking launch "window" here...)

- J - D -

evilromero said:

Rayman 3D if you are in UK (though I suppose it's a possibility for US launch). Japan...nothin'.

Boney

Banned
For me it's gonna be diving into the new features, the AR games, and DOA and Steel Diver. And then, there's a constant stream of Nintendo games coming out for this thing this year.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
i just hope they don't all have sunburnt shoulders like the older rune factory games
I'm afraid that you might be out of luck.

1294387521742.gif

Veal

Anth0ny said:

Never had a problem with Super Street Fighter 2: Revival or Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max. I'd say it works pretty well on the go.

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
I'm afraid that you might be out of luck.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1962354/1294387521742.gif[img][/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[spoiler]will buy[/spoiler]

GDGF

Soothsayer
marc^o^ said:
Besides I always prefered playing Street Fighter with a SNES pad over an arcade stick. Must be because I played 500 hours of SF2 on my console and 5 hours max in the arcades.

Definitely agree with you there. I've been playing the series on and off since SF2 first hit arcades and I gotta say I never had a problem using the SNES pad when the game first came home. I prefer it to an arcade stick.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Rayman 3D if you are in UK (though I suppose it's a possibility for US launch). Japan...nothin'.
Rayman would be great but I'm US. But Nintendo dropped the ball by not having something for launch. Hell, it could haven't been another port/upgrade like Mario Sunshine 3D.

Sammy Samusu said:
Rune Factory, Contact, Luminous Arc, Avalon Code, No More Heroes and etc!

Don't make me wait dear Marvelous.
NMH Shinobu spinoff. Make it so, Suda. We know they're making a 3DS game.

- J - D -

evilromero said:
Rayman would be great but I'm US. But Nintendo dropped the ball by not having something for launch. Hell, it could haven't been another port/upgrade like Mario Sunshine 3D.

My heart skipped a beat. Mario Sunshine on 3DS would be heavenly, even if it was just a port.

A hint of what a Sunshine 3D could look like maybe (3D enconded footage of MS run on emulator I believe): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoqq5Sx0bU

Izayoi

Banned
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
My heart skipped a beat. Mario Sunshine on 3DS would be heavenly, even if it was just a port.

A hint of what a Sunshine 3D could look like maybe (3D enconded footage of MS run on emulator I believe): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoqq5Sx0bU
That video has such a strong depth effect. Especially when the camera clips through geometry. It makes me a little nauseous.

I find this one to be a little easier on the mind.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:

I would kill for Mario Sunshine on 3DS, I liked that game a lot better than the Galaxies. And not a lot of modern gamers have played Mario Sumshine, as it wasn't on the most popular console of its time, so it wouldn't be that bad of a business decision on Nintendo's part.

Maffis

None of the launch titles interest me. If I get one at launch it will be just to play through oldies on a bigger screen.

matmanx1

When do (or have they already) Famitsu scores hit for the launch titles on the 3DS? I'd love to see some of the scores and comments.

wait what lol?

Pilotwings isnt confirmed for launch? just "Spring 2011" smh , I want to see review scores and new media on that.

I hope its a long game, day 1 for me anyway B^)

also leaning towards Rayman 3D, i need the scores though and impressions

Pilotwings isn't even available for pre-order in bestbuy/gamestop/amazon in canada. Goes to show how it's most likely not a launch game.

Cranzor

Izayoi said:
That video has such a strong depth effect. Especially when the camera clips through geometry. It makes me a little nauseous.

I find this one to be a little easier on the mind.

I gave in, I bought 3D glasses. Can't wait to try them out.

marc^o^ said:
SF4 will be the best fighting game you could dream of to be played on the go. Best competitive game ever, on the go.

As good as the game maybe, it's still a port of an year+ old game that most gamers have already played to death.

A rerelease of an port isn't something I would hold up as the premier launch title for the 3DS.

If this was Marvel vs Capcom 3DS, then I could get behind it.

It's a damn shame that neither Layton nor Pilot Wings will be ready for the US launch.

Stephen Colbert said:
A rerelease of an port isn't something I would hold up as the premier launch title for the 3DS.
I don't understand the hatred of console ports. Porting a very popular, highly-rated AAA game that's never been portable to the 3DS, with graphics very close to the original console, and gameplay identical to the console? Yes, that's a premier title.

Stephen Colbert said:
It's a damn shame that neither Layton nor Pilot Wings will be ready for the US launch.
We don't have a list of launch titles for the US yet. Yet we do have a brand new full trailer for Pilot Wings made for the US, which is indicative of the game being ready soon.

Dreamwriter said:
I don't understand the hatred of console ports. Porting a very popular, highly-rated AAA game that's never been portable to the 3DS, with graphics very close to the original console, and gameplay identical to the console? Yes, that's a premier title.

The disinterest stems from the fact that I have zero desire to rebuy and replay a game that I've already owned for well over an year and am bored to death with.

A port of a new game that's simultanously launching on multiple systems would be fine. But a port of an year old played out game isn't something that I can get excited about. I don't think I'm alone on this either.

CoolS

Dreamwriter said:
We don't have a list of launch titles for the US yet. Yet we do have a brand new full trailer for Pilot Wings made for the US, which is indicative of the game being ready soon.

Oh, I missed that one. Dou you have a link?

putarorex

I preorded a 3DS a couple months back and should be getting one on Saturday.

I went down to the local Wonder Goo this weekend and they had some units on display. I had to line up to actually try it out and I was a little underwhelmed by the 3DS effect. The graphics were pretty clean (Street Fighter game), but it didn't wow me as much I expected it would. Still, I was happy to see that the 3D effect isn't always the pop-up book-like effect (title screens and character select for Street Fighter were like that but the rest seemed different).

I am not sure what game I will get on Saturday. Maybe, I'll try the Layton game.

mt1200

Does anyone know if the backwards compatibility is software based (emulation), or something like "native hardware based", because this feature catched my attention, and I wont be spending money in the 3ds to play old Ds games if the games run glitchy.

Truth101

Banned
mt1200 said:
Does anyone know if the backwards compatibility is software based (emulation), or something like "native hardware based", because this feature catched my attention, and I wont be spending money in the 3ds to play old Ds games if the games run glitchy.

If it is software based emulation, I doubt Nintendo would include it if it couldn't full run all games.

Though, someone with more technical knowledge might be able to help you out more.

Top Bottom