• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sold (MC: 207k, Enterbrain: 215k) last week in Japan due to price drop

User33 said:
OP says August 8th-14th. Last time I checked, that's 7 days.
I worded my question poorly, price drop was in effect for four days, starting August 11 of course. I doubt many people bought the 3DS prior to that day.

Wario64 said:
That's a lot of money lost
gif_machinegun3501.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
User33 said:
Ah, so you think 0 units were sold between August 8th-10th, and 207,000 units were sold between August 11th-14th (which is 4 days fyi). Good to know.

Considering that all last week the 3DS sold only 4K ish? I think it's reasonable to assume most of that 200K was those 4 days, yes.

Ratrat

User33 said:
Ah, so you think 0 units were sold between August 8th-10th, and 207,000 units were sold between August 11th-14th (which is 4 days fyi). Good to know.
Wasn't it sub 10k the previous week?

Tuck

Wow that's good. Personally I am going to wait till Mario - or try to hold out much longer to the second iteration. We'll see, but I hope the momentum doesn't stop.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
And most of that was probably in just 4 days. I think this pretty much confirms that the price drop will help greatly. Now we have to hope that it maintains momentum for the rest of the year.

User33 said:

Given that they sold 4K units the week prior, I'll say 'yeah, close enough'.

qq more

User33 said:
Except the 3DS sold fucking 4k the previous week.

I wonder how much of this was just Nintendo brining it to people's attention that "hey, we have a new system" in conjunction with the price drop.

I don't know what marketing is like in Japan for the 3DS, but (anecdotal evidence) in America shows basically nothing.

Diablos54

User33 said:
Considering last weeks sales, I doubt you're too far off.

KingDizzi

Banned
Yeah I, Kingdizzi, knew that was going to happen. Some say it's a gift and others a curse but this is my life, a life of not being fucking retarded. Might as well tell you all know, Mario Kart 7 is going to sell over 2 million copies as will MW3. :O

when is that Pokemon game coming out? Not exactly a mainline, but it seems to me Nintendo should have had another big seller in the oven to corroborate steady sales from price drop week on

blamite

I haven't been paying attention to sales lately, how had it been doing before the drop?
edit: woah, missed that graph. That price drop really is an insane sales booster. :eek:

This is great news either way. Price drop + better marketing + Mario games should do wnders for the system this fall.

KingDizzi said:
Yeah I, Kingdizzi, knew that was going to happen. Some say it's a gift and others a curse but this is my life, a life of not being fucking retarded. Might as well tell you all know, Mario Kart 7 is going to sell over 2 million copies as will MW3. :O
Next week's lotto numbers, I need 'em. PM me.
User33 said:
Cool, thanks for clarifying.

Gotta love the originality. Do you people not realize you're saying the same thing over and over?
This is Neogaf, dude. Say something idiotic, and you're going to get called on it.

Pretty impressive and better than even most of the optimistic predictions. Now we get to see how it holds up until the big software hits. I think we may see some massive sales this holiday season.

KingDizzi said:

So did you make a prediction? Everyone is an expert in hindsight.

User33 said:
Gotta love the originality. Do you people not realize you're saying the same thing over and over?

That's probably because most of those posts were made within a minute of each other. It's ok you were wrong, you don't have to keep being defensive.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nice to see such trong sales, but I expect things to taper off a bit, and then another sales explosion when the Mario and Mariokart hit.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Nintendo has been pushing this price drop news Hard here in Japan, all the game stores have had big signs over the 3DS that basically say "there is a huge price drop coming on August 11, DO NOT BUY YET" and Nintendo has also been running commercials that show the 25,000 getting magically changed to a 15,000, it's been in the news, and I have talked to people who actually did not know that the "3DS" was even out yet until seeing a lot of the campaign.

It is expensive damage control, but it's lodging the system firmly in people's minds. I get more and more StreetPass tags all the time, even though they are useless to me! And lots of people with One Piece and Tales.

Doesn't change the fact that the early adopters are still starved for new software, but they really do need to get a lot of systems in hands to hit critical mass if they want Mario Kart/Mario 3D to get big boosts so they can have legs later on down the line.

XxCGSxX

Anasui Kishibe said:
when is that Pokemon game coming out? Not exactly a mainline, but it seems to me Nintendo should have had another big seller in the oven to corroborate steady sales from price drop week on
It came out the same day as the price drop in Japan.

Curufinwe

User33 said:

Sometimes the only cure for ignorance is repetition. You should be quietly thanking them, not drawing even more attention to your own mistakes.

P90

Wow! Mass market price improves sales with no new "AAA" software. Who'd a guessed that? ;)

I'm hoping Sony is taking a cue from this.

sfog

Anasui Kishibe said:

It came out last week in Japan, and is slated for October 24th for the US. I'm not sure about Europe.

Top Bottom