• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sold (MC: 207k, Enterbrain: 215k) last week in Japan due to price drop

Lord_Byron28 said:
I don't have numbers on hand but the numbers weren't very good, if a price drop didn't occur it would've been lucky to have made it to 100K. However, some places have reported that Starfox sales as well as Zelda's and Pokemon will do very good this week because of the price drop.
Ah, thanks.

Hopefully the price drop does end up helping to raise sales.

Tron 2.0

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
How did Star Fox do, anyway? Are there any numbers out?
In Japan? Pretty pathetic. ~50k LTD. But Star Fox has been dead in Japan (and, let's be honest, worldwide) for a few years.

207k is a great number and shows there is actual demand for the 3DS. But what of the next few months without must-have software?

Madao

so, this means Wii U is going to launch at a pretty competitive price instead of a "let's milk the early adopters and rack mad profits" price?

let's see how NoA and NoE fare with their marketing of this. i'm betting NoE will do a decent job and NoA will do their usual shit job.

Grakl

uchihasasuke said:
so, this means Wii U is going to launch at a pretty competitive price instead of a "let's milk the early adopters and rack mad profits" price?

You'd hope so. Still wonder how much that controller costs.

Tron 2.0

uchihasasuke said:
They hinted pretty heavily at it during an investor call after the 3DS price drop announcement.

saichi

Kagari said:
Monster Hunter?

not for launch though. Hot Shot Golf is probably gonna be the biggest seller in Japan this year if it makes the launch lineup.

On 3DS, I'm hoping MC/Famitsu would have similar numbers as this report.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As others have said this is nice for now, but really doesn't mean much coming off a drastic price cut. Sales in a couple of weeks, especially with the software drought, will be a better judge of the market.

qq more said:
EDIT: How well/awful Command do in Japan by the way?
If I recall correctly it did something around 80K lifetime.

I wonder if Nintendo internally developed and had a strong marketing push how it would do. I suspect it would do well since anytime I hear anything about Starfox are from people fondly talking about or quoting Starfox 64.

qq more

Lord_Byron28 said:
If I recall correctly it did something around 80K lifetime.

I wonder if Nintendo internally developed and had a strong marketing push how it would do. I suspect it would do well since anytime I hear anything about Starfox are from people fondly talking about or quoting Starfox 64.
Good, I hope Command flopped that bad. Terrible game! SF643D better surpass it, even though it's a remake.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh wow.

Everyone who said "150k is WAY TOO MUCH DURR" in the Media-Create thread must be feeling pretty bad right now.

M3d10n

Boney said:
Portable 3rd? It will conect with the PSP version right?

I guess it could do better than hotshots, but it also released only last year
Isn't it simply the PSP version (from PSN), or did they announce a Vita-exclusive game?

TL4E

That number seems about right for an almost 40% decrease in price. Now it's a matter of keeping up the momentum, which looks to be quite possible with all the top-notch 3DS titles in the pipeline.

Somnid

What Nintendo probably needs now is to re-visit games like Nintendogs + Cats. Games that had better potential but might have been stunted. Especially if they don't have the stream of content to prolong this, they need to start building their evergreen lineup.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Somnid said:
What Nintendo probably needs now is to re-visit games like Nintendogs + Cats. Games that had better potential but might have been stunted. Especially if they don't have the stream of content to prolong this, they need to start building their evergreen lineup.

They already re-promoted Layton 5 and Nintendogs + Cats using in-store cardboard slip covers + new tv commercials. A second re-release would be pretty bizarre at this point.

Boney

Banned
Kagari said:
I meant, they could potentially announce something new at TGS.
Oh.. well Vita is gonna have a great launch for sure, I was just curious of what the strongest launch title would be.

M3d10n said:
Isn't it simply the PSP version (from PSN), or did they announce a Vita-exclusive game?
From my understanding it has new textures, camara mapped to the 2nd stick and supports Vita's resolution.

Deku

Banned
Busaiku said:
They're still taking a hit per system.

That's probably because it's all unsold inventory so the cost of goods is already fixed. Iwata made a mention of why they are taking a hit, mainly due to fact they aren't yet truly mass producing them.

I assume they built up to 4 million launch units then produced smaller lots every moth since early April.

Even at just 200k produced monthly, they would have produced an extra 800k units by now. And I doubt it's that low. There's probably minimum production capacity in the 500k to 1 million range.

Week 2-4 after price drop will be telling. Good start obviously, but it's too early to tell.

Edit: A lot of analyst are predicting 12 million in sales by year end.

That would jive with 1 million per month production.

Emitan

Tron 2.0 said:
I was honestly pretty surprised when they announced Star Fox 643D.

My only guess is that they felt it would be a good showcase for the 3D effect.
I was extremely shocked and had mixed feelings. On the one hand, one of my top 3 favorite games of all time is being remade and portable so I can take it with me all the time. On the other hand, it's kind of niche and sells on the publisher's name alone and still isn't going to sell and the series is going to go back to being dead again.

Boney said:
Oh.. well Vita is gonna have a great launch for sure, I was just curious of what the strongest launch title would be.

From my understanding it has new textures, camara mapped to the 2nd stick and supports Vita's resolution.

If you're talking about the Monster Hunter Portable 3rd shown for Vita, we know almost nothing about it. For all we know, it could have been the PSP game with the d-pad mapped to the right stick though some option in the Vita's PSP BC.

A lot about the BC is up in the air. The one 'advanced' feature known is with Resistance Retribution, the dual analog support that required Resistance 2 and a PS3 can now be played just on the vita. But again, I don't know if it was clarified if that was a re-released or a native feature of the backwards compatibility.

They haven't outlined much regarding backwards compatibility, other than it exists. Though except for no rending at at a higher resolution, iirc. Same resolution, but blown up to fill the Vita screen. Unlike the 3DS playing DS games, the Vita does have exactly four times the resolution of the PSP so games shouldn't suffer visually. They just won't look significantly better than on the PSP.

...If you're talking about MHP3rd for PS3, yeah, that's just an HD version of the PSP game.

Road

saichi said:
not for launch though. Hot Shot Golf is probably gonna be the biggest seller in Japan this year if it makes the launch lineup.

On 3DS, I'm hoping MC/Famitsu would have similar numbers as this report.
206k was the 2nd week number for Famitsu, so it is possible this 207k is also from Famitsu.

uchihasasuke said:

let's see how NoA and NoE fare with their marketing of this. i'm betting NoE will do a decent job and NoA will do their usual shit job.

Hopefully Nintendo learned a lesson on this launch and it isn;t one they soon forget...

The%20Lord%20Of%20The%20Rings%20The%20Return%20Of%20The%20King-02.jpg

Boney said:
If we're talking Japan, what are the heavy hitters? Hot shots golf is probably the biggest right? Is gravity daze planned for launch and how does the wipeout series usually do?
I just want my Ape Escape 4 :c

sfried

Monster Hunter 3DS. StreetPass exchanges. New maps.
Jumping.
Gyro/touchscreen controled camera. Lower screen item management. Gimme.

Akainu

sfried said:
Monster Hunter 3DS. StreetPass exchanges. New maps.
Jumping.
Gyro/touchscreen controled camera. Lower screen item management. Gimme.
A kick in the ass is all I can afford. Horrible ideas.

edit: on second thought the head might be better.

Zen

Banned
P90 said:
Wow! Mass market price improves sales with no new "AAA" software. Who'd a guessed that? ;)

I'm hoping Sony is taking a cue from this.

Not that a 40% price drop wouldn't stimulate sales in the first place but the Pokemon game did also come out on the same day. Of course sales will go up with the device having a massive price drop, but that doesn't mean that a lack of compelling software, not price, was the primary factor in the sluggish 3DS sales before hand.

I said int MC thread that the 3DS will sell over 150000, since the PS3 sold 150000 in the first week after it reached 300, and Japan is a handheld oriented country.
Wario64 said:
That's a lot of money lost
You crack me up dude.

Spike

Was it Famitsu that had that survey a few months back, about what was stopping people from buying a 3DS? Price was the number one issue. Looks like they have the number one issue sorted out. Now, onto the games.

So this pushes 3DS well above the "early PSP" hardware line it has been close to lately. (On Kindle now, so no fancy imagery demonstrating this.) Given the big patch of 20K weeks PSP was reaching, it gets well ahead.

Also if memory serves, early DS hardware numbers took a decent step up its first August, thanks to releases like Jump Super Stars.

kiunchbb,
After jumping like 10% yesterday, the stock seems to be trading a bit down in Japan today. So while it's not the same low, this news hasn't pushed it from cheapness quite yet.

Top Bottom