• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sold (MC: 207k, Enterbrain: 215k) last week in Japan due to price drop

Erethian

JoshuaJSlone said:
Inazuma Eleven should be kind of a big deal. Biggest thing of the DS/PSP generation that wasn't Nintendo, Monster Hunter, or Dragon Quest.

Re: Kindle browsing, I usually use it for simple stuff like Twitter and Gmail. Only try GAFing if I catch wind of something I'm impatient to hear more about.

Yeah, will be really interesting to see how Inazuma Eleven GO does. Helps that it's coming out in the holiday period.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
JoshuaJSlone said:
Inazuma Eleven should be kind of a big deal. Biggest thing of the DS/PSP generation that wasn't Nintendo, Monster Hunter, or Dragon Quest.

Re: Kindle browsing, I usually use it for simple stuff like Twitter and Gmail. Only try GAFing if I catch wind of something I'm impatient to hear more about.
Use secondapps.com to browse GAF on Kindle and you're good to go.

ampere

Nice sales. I'm sure it won't be quite as high next week, but I'm curious as to what number it will level off at.

Thoraxes

Am I the only one who remembers when the DS selling less than 100k a week was bad, or have I just followed Nintendo sales data for too long?

Either way this is great for Nintendo, and I hope this and more compelling software will give them the push they need to give the people what they want when they want it.

Noshino

Great numbers for the handheld, past expectations.

Aside from Pokemon, which other games were released last week (within the discount period)?

sfried said:
Really, what's with the hate?

Because a gyro/touchscreen camera doesn't seem feasible for MH, so that might mean the return of....

Gesus.jpg

Wow, that's way more than I expected. But the true test will be the ensuing weeks that follow and particularly, the software. Good start, however.

Anasui Kishibe said:
when is that Pokemon game coming out? Not exactly a mainline, but it seems to me Nintendo should have had another big seller in the oven to corroborate steady sales from price drop week on
There's no good reason Nintendo didn't have a mainline Pokemon game ready for 3DS by now. At the very least a Pokemon Grey or something that upgrades the B/W titles into 3D. I keep feeling like 2011 was just a lost cause for the system because they didn't have the right software at the right moment. For example, Mario 3D Land would have been PERFECT for this re-launch.

User33 said:
Cool, thanks for clarifying.

Gotta love the originality. Do you people not realize you're saying the same thing over and over?
Hey, don't wave your fancy "Pointless School of Internet Judging" degrees around here. We don't take kindly to people trying to flaunt their four years in schools that teach them exactly how to pinpoint and call out internet-wasting posts.

Can someone explain to me why touchscreen camera controls don't work? If you can make a virtual stick for a game like Mario 64DS and have it work decently, why can't the same thing work for camera controls, which don't even need anywhere near that level of precision (and as a result, could be controlled with your thumb)?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ed: nevermind, just noticed Stump's remark on the subject.

Did somebody fire up the BurntPork signal yet?

Cygnus X-1

Ok. This is very promising. I put the disappointing bar at 100k. This is more than double.

Iwata's gamble seems to work. Let's see how long it will last without games.

blu said:
ed: nevermind, just noticed Stump's remark on the subject.

Did somebody fire up the BurntPork signal yet?

Eyup.

BurntPork said:
... Wow.

Wow.

FUCKING WOW.

I was expecting half that...

I hope that it stabilizes at a pretty high number. I think 35-45k a week works out.

I think it'll drop to less than half for the next week, and around 60K after that until some games come out.

Billychu said:
I was posting on here when I had no internet access but a Kindle for a week. Fucking terrible. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BROWSE THE INTERNET ON A BOOK?
you could have read some book in that week, you know?

Raonak

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Can someone explain to me why touchscreen camera controls don't work? If you can make a virtual stick for a game like Mario 64DS and have it work decently, why can't the same thing work for camera controls, which don't even need anywhere near that level of precision (and as a result, could be controlled with your thumb)?

Now that i think about it... you're gonna be using the touchscreen for camera movment, ... but then you wouldn't be able to easily reach the action buttons. you won't be able to jump and stuff without moving your hand over to the buttons.

the only decent alternative I can think of is putting onscreen buttons on the touch screen
BUT- that brings up problems for action heavy/faster games, as you're gonna be wanting to look at the top screen at all times, so tapping the onscreen buttons would be hard. as you would need to look at the bottom screen to see the posit position.

Guess they could make it tap to attack, drag to move camera. so you wouldn't have to look at the touchscreen.

Raonak said:
Oh... shit..
The return of THE CLAW!?

Now that i think about it... you're gonna be using the touchscreen for camera movment, ... but then you wouldn't be able to easily reach the action buttons.

the only decent alternative I can think of is putting onscreen buttons on the touch screen
BUT- that brings up more problems, as you're gonna be wanting to look at the top screen at all times, so tapping the onscreen buttons would be hard. as you would need to look at the position.

Guess they could make it tap to attack, drag to move camera. so you wouldn't have to look at the touchscreen.

What's the shoulder buttons for normally?

Cygnus X-1

lobdale said:
Nintendo has been pushing this price drop news Hard here in Japan, all the game stores have had big signs over the 3DS that basically say "there is a huge price drop coming on August 11, DO NOT BUY YET" and Nintendo has also been running commercials that show the 25,000 getting magically changed to a 15,000, it's been in the news, and I have talked to people who actually did not know that the "3DS" was even out yet until seeing a lot of the campaign.

It is expensive damage control, but it's lodging the system firmly in people's minds. I get more and more StreetPass tags all the time, even though they are useless to me! And lots of people with One Piece and Tales.

Doesn't change the fact that the early adopters are still starved for new software, but they really do need to get a lot of systems in hands to hit critical mass if they want Mario Kart/Mario 3D to get big boosts so they can have legs later on down the line.

Nice musing. Well, what it has been done is just common sense after all.

Mik2121

I love how some people here still insist that this is just a fluke or something. Really...

"The 3DS will be back to XXXXX sales next week", "I doubt it will sell XXXXX in the US" even after a lot of people predicted 40-45k sales for the 3DS for this month in Japan.

Cygnus X-1

Somnid said:
What Nintendo probably needs now is to re-visit games like Nintendogs + Cats. Games that had better potential but might have been stunted. Especially if they don't have the stream of content to prolong this, they need to start building their evergreen lineup.

No. They need to release new games and they need to convince third parties to release games too.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It just goes to show you, people wanted it but just at the right price. I too think that the previous price was far too high.

This still doesn't solve the problem of lack of games though! With some of the upcoming releases though that'll change a lot of people's minds.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pretty sure 3DS would have been a phenomenon had it launched at this price. The hype it had + affordability = instant win.

Pretty happy with how it turned out: I hope Nntendo will have learnt a thing or two, ie Software is key, prices should be low.

Game prices are still too high, new OS features are still too slow to appear. Let's hope Nintendo doesn't do too well this easily with a mere price cut.

Entropia said:
It just goes to show you, people wanted it but just at the right price. I too think that the previous price was far too high.

This still doesn't solve the problem of lack of games though! With some of the upcoming releases though that'll change a lot of people's minds.

Nintendo's overall direction with the 3DS was pretty horrible really. Lack of games, lack of marketing, and high price never sounded like they mixed well. I gave them a chance just because it was a new handheld and the successor to one of the best selling systems, but we saw how it came out. Now that they fixed the price, and working on marketing, the only thing remaining are the games.

But this is all wrong! Cell phones killed the handheld market, simply lowering the price should not have had any effect!

Revised Analyst Predictions based off 1 week of data:
This increase will continue every week for the next 5 years, causing the world to be consumed by 3DS's killing all life on this planet. Sell your Nintendo shares for they are the harbinger of Armageddon!!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow.
For Famitsu / Enterbrain, it's even more.

Nikkei reported earlier today sales of 207,000 units for the 3DS following the system's price drop last week. Enterbrain (via Famitsu.com) followed with sales figures of its own, giving the system a slightly higher total of 214,821 units.

Like Nikkei's figure, Enterbrain's covers the week of August 8 through August 14. The system's price was cut 10,000 yen down to 15,000 yen on the 11th.

The 214,821 sales figure is the system's second highest weekly total following the 371,326 units sold the week of launch in late February. Through August 14, the system has sold 1,521,326 units.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/16/3ds_sales_enterbrain/

Yagharek

I'm slow to the uptake here... Was ZOE a fake rumour, or was the thread locked on account of derailments?

Because I would believe it on account of these sales figures if they are maintained for a few months.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
RandomVince said:
I'm slow to the uptake here... Was ZOE a fake rumour, or was the thread locked on account of derailments?

Because I would believe it on account of these sales figures if they are maintained for a few months.

There has been a Giga Drill Derailment

Top Bottom