• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS technical discuss thread: lets talk about this here

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Lamonster said:
Comparing Plants vs. Zombies on my 3DS with my girlfriend's iPhone, 3DS looks and plays like shit. Terrible framerate and screen image isn't very sharp.

This has everything to do with the technical prowess of the system, and nothing to do with lazy developers and rushed ports. Resolution might blow, but if there are framerate issues and it plays like it, that's another story.

Grisby

Not a big technical guy but I've been really impressed by Dead or Alive, looks great. Mercenaries on the other hand is a bit shoddy. I'm betting RE Revelations will be a showpiece.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Lamonster said:
Comparing Plants vs. Zombies on my 3DS with my girlfriend's iPhone, 3DS looks and plays like shit. Terrible framerate and screen image isn't very sharp.
That's just bad coding. Definitely doesn't represent the system.

Furthermore, if I recall, PvZ is actually a DSi Ware game that was created for the last generation Nintendo DS. It's NOT an actual 3DS game.

The Lamonster said:
The game was released on DS (not 3DS). So its going to look worse then iPhones port and playing it on the 3DS isn't helping either. Just saying.

Zomba13

Never noticed it before but just realised that Chris and Jill are pointing their guns at each other in those RE shots. I feel kinda dumb for only just noticing it.

The resolution doesn't matter all that much, the 3DS sceen has a slightly better pixel density than VITAs OLED screen - although obviously its much smaller and less sexy. The vertical resolution is a bit of a bummer, aliasing will be more obvious I'm not denying that, but if it was pushing polys and effects closer to VITAs level, and was able to internally render at higher resolutions, people here wouldn't bitch too much about that. If people make 2D-mode only games and use the full horizontal resolution available (800 I believe?), games could look quite nice.

I didn't know the clock speed of the PICA inside 3DS wasn't known... is that because the PICA element is included in the custom SOC CPU inside or something?

StuBurns

Banned
Bluemercury said:
So what does not look poor to you???
I think the first MGS3 video looked much better.

RE:R, at least based on the demo, is all tiny little spaces, the monsters look terrible, there are never many of them on screen. RE4 on GC looked massively better.

It's hard to be impressed technically with a dedicated handheld that's outclassed by my phone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It seems about Dreamcast level with improved lighting so far.

Biggest problem to me is the low res screen and no AA. Hopefully games will start to use AA to compensate for the low res screen at some point.

dark10x

radioheadrule83 said:
The resolution doesn't matter all that much, the 3DS sceen has a slightly better pixel density than VITAs OLED screen - although obviously its much smaller and less sexy. The vertical resolution is a bit of a bummer, aliasing will be more obvious I'm not denying that, but if it was pushing polys and effects closer to VITAs level, and was able to internally render at higher resolutions, people here wouldn't bitch too much about that. If people make 2D-mode only games and use the full horizontal resolution available (800 I believe?), games could look quite nice.

I didn't know the clock speed of the PICA inside 3DS wasn't known... is that because the PICA element is included in the custom SOC CPU inside or something?
Whoa whoa, the 3DS definitely does NOT have a better pixel density. The effective resolution that one sees while viewing the screen is only 400×240. It's considered 800x240 due to the way it handles 3D, but to the eye (in both 2D and 3D) it's definitely 400x240. The PSP screen was 480x272, for reference, while the Vita screen is 960x540. That's a MASSIVE increase in resolution.

The effective 3DS pixel density is: 132.15 ppi
The Vita comes in at: 219.32

The Vita screen will definitely appear much sharper to the viewer as a result.

Bluemercury said:
So what does not look poor to you???
It doesn't look BAD by any means, but the environment is extremely small, the textures are blurry, shadows are pretty ragged around the edges, there are very few creatures on screen at once and two of them together results in slowdown. It doesn't even match the level of detail present in MGS2 at this point. The original videos shown by Capcom were very impressive, but the demo really wasn't. Again, it's still attractive, but it's a far cry from RE4 let alone RE5.

Lesiroth

radioheadrule83 said:

Not this shit again.

Durante

One of the most important technical fact about 3DS is that it doesn't support fragment programs. It's the only currently relevant platform for which this is the case. Even if some common effects could be replicated using the fixed function hardware, this still means that it requires an entirely separate software and content creation ecosystem. I think this decision will come back to haunt Nintendo.

Probably more so than the fact which annoys me most personally, which is that the GPU can't do any efficient AA. This is particularly enervating considering the low display resolution, and how good most other portable GPUs are at this.

firelink

Banned
People are getting used to the hardware.

Nintendo used a proprietory GPU with the DS, so they made the API themselves and knew how to handle the system. This time they have to make an API (or use DMPs) for a third party GPU, like a console, so it will take time to see good games.

Remember when the Wii first launched? We all know it is more powerful than the PS2, yet 3/4th of the games do not look as good as the PS2's best.

One of the most important technical fact about 3DS is that it doesn't support fragment programs. It's the only currently relevant platform for which this is the case. Even if some common effects could be replicated using the fixed function hardware, this still means that it requires an entirely separate software and content creation ecosystem. I think this decision will come back to haunt Nintendo.

Probably more so than the fact which annoys me most personally, which is that the GPU can't do any efficient AA. This is particularly enervating considering the low display resolution, and how good most other portable GPUs are at this.

If Nintendo is using DMP's API, it should support fragment programs. DMP's API is a beast for the PICA200. I just have no idea if Nintendo made their own or are using DMP's.

It can do up to 8x AA I think though, super sample. Just no one wants to do it. Now that Iwata came out and said devs can make games without 3D, maybe we'll see more developers try to act on that.

Paracelsus

All I want to know from experts is its maximum polycount potential. What could we expect from 3DS at its prime, basically.

firelink

Banned
Paracelsus said:
All I want to know from experts is its maximum polycount potential. What could we expect from 3DS at its prime, basically.

* pixel performance: 800 Mpixel/s[7]
o 400 Mpixel/s @100 MHz[2]
o 1600 Mpixel/s @400 MHz
* vertex performance: 15.3 Mpolygon/s[7]
o 40Mtriangle/s @100 MHz[2]
o 160Mtriangle/s @400 MHz

From the Wikipedia. It was revealed by someone (I forget who) that the 3DS has a pixel performance of 1.4GPixels/sec, which is 1400 Mpixels/sec, so the clock speed might actually be closer to 400. Nintendo refuses to tell anyone, so we might never know.

In comparison (also from Wiki), this is the PS2's Emotion Engine:

# Perspective transformation: 66 million polygons per second
# With lighting and fog: 36 million polygons per second
# Bezier surface patches: 16 million polygons per second
# Image decompression: 150 million pixels per second

So depending on the clockspeed of the PICA200, 3DS can range from worse polygon performance to better poly performance compared to the PS2. Quite a big margin though.

Durante

firelink said:
It can do up to 8x AA I think though, super sample. Just no one wants to do it. Now that Iwata came out and said devs can make games without 3D, maybe we'll see more developers try to act on that.
No one wants to do super sampling because of its performance impact. It's almost linear with each additional sample if you are rasterization bound. In contrast, 4x MSAA is almost free on PowerVR's mobile GPUs.

Mik2121

Paracelsus said:
It depends on so many things. Depends on the amount of shaders you wanna have going on, how many textures you wanna use, what fps are you aiming for, etc..

If you look at the Pokemon models on the Pokedex app, they are quite detailed, but their shaders are the simplest thing ever (only diffuse and glow maps, and the glow is probably done via vertex painting so not even that). But you can't compare that to say the coming Resident Evil title, where they got more stuff moving around, more complex shaders and multiple textures loading in and out, etc...

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
There's no Planet vs Zombies on the 3DS.
What there is, is a DS/DSiWare port of the retail release;; that might look slightly blurry upscaled to the slightly bigger res-screens of the 3DS; or small/sharp when selected by holding Select-to make DS games run at their native resolution.

StuBurns said:
I think the first MGS3 video looked much better.

RE:R, at least based on the demo, is all tiny little spaces, the monsters look terrible, there are never many of them on screen. RE4 on GC looked massively better.

It's hard to be impressed technically with a dedicated handheld that's outclassed by my phone.

What phone is it??i have a galaxy s2 and ive yet to see 3d games that well executed...

dark10x

Bluemercury said:
What phone is it??i have a galaxy s2 and ive yet to see 3d games that well executed...
I would assume he's talking about things such as this...

inf-blade-014.jpg

A simple game, but very impressive to behold. The point is, the GPU is capable of more than what you do achieve on a 3DS. 3DS is still a better device for gaming, of course.

StuBurns

Banned
Bluemercury said:
iPhone. Infinity Blade looks significantly better than anything on 3DS. Of course, it's a shit game, which is what actually matters. The 3DS is a better gaming device, but on a technical level, iPhone 4 is way better I think, and iPhone 5 is going to destroy that too.

dark10x

_dementia said:
There was a playable demo, I think
Yes there was, and it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the shots in that OP.

They mention a number of effects and such (such as the motion blur I mentioned earlier) that aren't present at all.

Apple sells the iphone 4 for 550$ (for the 8GB model)... Imagine the meltdown if the 3DS sold for that much.
And? The Vita is being sold for $249 and and is more powerful than any phone on the market.

firelink

Banned
StuBurns said:
iPhone. Infinity Blade looks significantly better than anything on 3DS. Of course, it's a shit game, which is what actually matters. The 3DS is a better gaming device, but on a technical level, iPhone 4 is way better I think, and iPhone 5 is going to destroy that too.

You act as if the iPhone 5 is not going to also destroy the Vita.

Apple already signed up to use a more advanced GPU than the Vita, and no doubt it will have a dual core processor and a gig of RAM.

Hugh Buelow said:
Apple sells the iphone 4 for 550$ (for the 8GB model)... Imagine the meltdown if the 3DS sold for that much.

iPod touch 8gb (same hardware without mobile phone feature) is like 200€/$

StuBurns

Banned
Hugh Buelow said:
My iPhone was free, as was lots of people's with their contract.
firelink said:

Apple already signed up to use a more advanced GPU than the Vita, and no doubt it will have a dual core processor and a gig of RAM.
Where did I even mention the Vita?

firelink

Banned
StuBurns said:
Where did I even mention the Vita?

You specifically mentioned it destroying the 3DS as if it were a bad thing.

The next generation smartphones/tablets are going to put our gaming handhelds to shame in terms of power.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Mr. Wonderful said:
It doesn't matter what it's capable of when the resolution still sucks.

JWong said:
So we think that RE thing is real time?

Infact...

Durante

firelink said:
It won't. It won't have a quad core CPU or dedicated video RAM, so it won't reach it in either CPU or GPU performance. And that's pure hardware specs, before factoring in software overhead.

firelink said:

The next generation smartphones/tablets are going to put our gaming handhelds to shame in terms of power.

and?

Almost all 3d games for smartphones and tablets are not better looking than PSP games. Minibudgets are a bitch.

StuBurns

Banned
firelink said:

No, I mentioned iPhone 5 destroying the iPhone 4.

And Carmack actually said the iPhone 5/iPad 2 will be a generation behind PSV because of the API etc, but he could be wrong.

StuBurns said:
Nothing on 3DS looks as good as MGS3 on PS2, so if they're incompetent, so is everyone else. OoT even has slow down and it looks like shit.
I wasn't aware that MGS3 was a PS2 launch title. lol

In fact, I seem to recall PS2 launch games looking pretty shitty for the most part.

dark10x said:
I'm slightly baffled by the hardware. On paper, it should match the Gamecube pretty handily, but the results we're seeing just aren't there. Some first year Gamecube titles blow the doors off of any and everything we've seen on the 3DS, for instance.

as of today - the no.1 game on 3DS is a port/remake of a N64 title so... but you're right... its not up to scratch.

ASIS

firelink said:

This is a 3DS thread.....

Rodney McKay said:
I wasn't aware that MGS3 was a PS2 launch title. lol

In fact, I seem to recall PS2 launch games looking pretty shitty for the most part.

Because PS2 was cutting edge technology, it was for all a totally new experiences. Nothing what you can say about the 3DS.

firelink

Banned
StuBurns said:
No, I mentioned it destroying the iPhone 4.

And Carmack actually said the iPhone 5/iPad 2 will be a generation behind PSV because of the API etc, but he could be wrong.

I dunno about that, but I heard Apple signed up to use the next generation SGX GPU.

The iPhone 5 will obviously probably not have visuals on par with the Vita (except for like 2 games, the iPhone 4 does not even compare to the 3DS, despite the better hardware). But if someone invested enough, it could be a beast of a machine.

Don't take this as me championing the idea btw. In fact - I hate it.

dark10x

firelink said:

I'm not really convinced of that.

The fact is, 98% of the games available for smart phones today look worse than your average PSP game. So, really, the 3DS isn't doing bad at all on that front. Those minuscule budgets really cut into the quality of the visuals.

More importantly, most smart phone games run at abysmal framerates. The DS plows through most of its games at 60 fps while a phone game with inferior visuals runs at 20 fps.

Obviously there are some brilliant exceptions to this (mostly on iPhone), but in general, smart phone games are not all that impressive to behold. The hardware IS capable (as Infinity Blade proves), but few developers ever take advantage of it. I suspect the Vita will be laying the smack down on smart phone visuals for years while I don't think the 3DS is really going to lag behind either.

The main issue with 3DS really IS its insanely low resolution screens. All of its games at a higher resolution would look so much nicer, but 400x240 is simply too low. At least the games all tend to run much better than your average phone title.

Top Bottom