• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Mlatador

Banned
iHrfSJoagq3Cx.gif

(Laughs)

watershed

Banned
If people just understood that this is a budget 3ds sans 3d, hence the 2ds name, I think there would be a lot less complaining. I think it's safe to assume this is for kids and not for most of gaf.

Riki

here's an interview. they just really wanted the $129 price point apparently. they thought that's where the most accessible entry point is and i agree. they took stereosound via speaker out and i doubt anyone believes that is a gimmick
The Beatles did. (But they were crazy)

here's an interview. they just really wanted the $129 price point apparently. they thought that's where the most accessible entry point is and i agree. they took stereosound via speaker out and i doubt anyone believes that is a gimmick

This... to an extent. Nintendo sold the 3DS on the promise that it was a must have feature, this IS admitting the hardware can stand on it's own without 3D. It's hardly an admission of "defeat" though on the subject.

Ghazi

Screens are OG size and the battery is inbetween the OG and the XL

Welp, I don't know what to say. I thought I read somewhere that they were XL sized. I still don't understand how can it have less battery life? Smaller and fewer screens don't add to the usage.

antonz

I can see the 2DS being part of their R&D strategy on the successor to the 3DS as well. I doubt they will keep clamshell forever

Mlatador

Banned
Welp, I don't know what to say. I thought I read somewhere that they were XL sized. I still don't understand how can it have less battery life? Smaller and fewer screens don't add to the usage.

It's meant to replace the OG 3DS and has the same battery life.

rschauby

Banned
Nintendo and their stupid naming strikes again!!

My 8 year old son does not want a 2DS because the 3DS is "better". I asked "how much better?" and he said "50%"

Damn you Nintendo! Simple math and you lose to 8 year olds!

You should have just named it 3DS Y or something.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this thing is awful I don't even know how is one supposed to hold it with the shoulder buttons up there holy shit what were they thinking and still no second stick can only be a sick joke :|

they moved the pad up so it appears you could easily press the shoulder buttons, no need to worry about it, i suppose they tested the thing

bomblord

Banned
I'm just double checking guys.

this is still real right? I have at least a few more hours before I can rule out it being some kind of fever dream.

This system is designed for parents who purchase these:

leapfrog_05242010101225.jpg

I want Nintendo to make money so it can continue to make games. This will do that.

Are we really complaining about a budget kid-friendly option?

Metallix87

Nintendo and their stupid naming strikes again!!

My 8 year old son does not want a 2DS because the 3DS is "better". I asked "how much better?" and he said "50%"

Damn you Nintendo! Simple math and you lose to 8 year olds!

You should have just named it 3DS Y or something.

Is this a serious post?

I can see the 2DS being part of their R&D strategy on the successor to the 3DS as well. I doubt they will keep clamshell forever

Probably won't keep the 3D either for it's successor. Say what you will, but 3D effect takes a fairly massive toll on processing, and the more advanced future graphics get on portables, the more expensive it gets to do it in 3D.

(edit) As for alternate names... I'm quite personal to "3DS Flat". Describes both the design and lack of 3D features.

Riki

I'm just double checking guys.

this is still real right? I have at least a few more hours before I can rule out it being some kind of fever dream.

For all you know, you could have dreamt us all up. But we'd never say. It's your subconscious.

DaBoss

One more time.
3D_zpsf8e150d5.jpg

Kids under 7 shouldn't watch 3D, so that's the main reason of why this product 8aimed at small children) doesn't have 3D

Yes, cause the 3DS, nor the 3DS XL has a 3D slider or a parental controls feature that disables 3D.

This is clearly made so they can get the 3DS to a mass market price this year before the end of the year, especially when Pokémon comes out.

one_kill

Probably won't keep the 3D either for it's successor. Say what you will, but 3D effect takes a fairly massive toll on processing, and the more advanced future graphics get on portables, the more expensive it gets to do it in 3D.

(edit) As for alternate names... I'm quite personal to "3DS Flat". Describes both the design and lack of 3D features.
How about "3DS Brick" or "3DS Ugly"?
haha

na I kid, I don't mind the design that much.

Somnid

We can do impressive 1080p on phones where the pixels are literally too small to even be seen, we're literally pissing power away on nothing, that's not the problem. There's a reason why those smartphone games don't look like 3DS ones despite several generations of processor tech.

More interestingly, he's using a Sony platform to suggest a pattern with Nintendo platforms.

When has it NOT been a gimmick? I hate that the term gimmick has become such a negative term in gaming.

It's so trendy, uninspired and a copout.

Something different..............fucking gimmick.

A gimmick is something positive by definition or not necessarily unfavorable but it's the easy way out to dismiss something here, especially in hindsight.

We can do impressive 1080p on phones where the pixels are literally too small to even be seen, we're literally pissing power away on nothing, that's not the problem. There's a reason why those smartphone games don't look like 3DS ones despite several generations of processor tech.

Yes but that comes at a cost. A high end "cell phone" game will drain a battery in about an hour or two. Even halving the pixels to do 3D would require just as much power and energy. It's not just simply a matter of power, it's a matter of... er... well a different kind of power.

QaaQer

Alright I've had time to think about this and read other posts after embracing the 'knee-jerk' reaction a few hours prior. Surprisingly, my opinion does not differ much:

The Pros:
• Incredibly smart marketing move to release a cheap alternative with Pokémon X/Y. Kids will be all over it because it's new; parents will be all over it because it's cheap. Most here don't disagree with this.

• There are no hinges to break and parents don't have to dig through system settings and remember passwords to have 3D disabled. Convenient.

• I prefer the color balance they have on this. We see more of the Black or White and the secondary color is now a subtler accent. The Black and Red one even resembles a PokéDex in some shots (though the IRL version will be much darker and less vibrant).

• It's a better value than the OG ever was (or will be). You're only losing speaker quality and ergonomics (though compared to the OG that isn't saying much). The 2DS is bundled with a 4GB SD card, better buttons, bigger stylus, more battery life, a reinforced headphone port, and (I asume) a matte finish. OS seems improved as well.

­
The Cons:

• It doesn't appear to be very well designed. The buttons are more spaced out and have moved further away from the touchscreen. Younger kids with smaller hands may have difficultly playing certain games.

• Removing hinges doesn't get rid of 'screen scratching'. It just dodges a problem Nintendo created for themselves. Now consumers will have to worry about spills, steps, drops, and scratching the screen themselves - things the clam-shell design minimized. I personally buy screen protectors for all my tech anyway.

• Obviously this will create brand confusion, and that isn't something a large sticker on the box alone is going to solve. Nintendo will need to step up their marketing campaign if this thing is to be a success. Consumers need to know that this is a 'slim' version of their 3DS that plays the same games minus the 3D, and not a brand new system on its own (something that'll be difficult to do without the clam-shell similarity).

• Most of us don't wear cargo shorts all the time...

The Verdict:

Releasing the system itself is a good idea. It seems like people here feel 'cheated' that the latest redesign isn't as good as it ought to be, but I don't think that's the core issue. What we really need to focus on is whether this will actually help Nintendo, or just create additional problems for them. Will this increase their install base and return some of the money they lost on the Wii U, or will it further confuse consumers?

Also, the Pokémon X/Y games are introducing 3D to the franchise, and there are special edition 3DS XL's to go along with the game. Will they be bundling special edition 2DS' with the game as well? It'd be interesting to see how Nintendo displays the bundles - one with 3D and one without. It'd also be interesting to see where Nintendo takes 3D gaming in the future, or if they just scrap it entirely with their next brand new handheld.

As for the rest of us - owners of 3DS's or not - we shouldn't over analyze this. We wont experience the problems that kids owning the 2DS might, so this may actually be a more attractive buy for adults who just aren't interested in the 3D. I also don't think it's "ugly" necessarily, and I'll probably buy one of the special editions sometime in the future for keepsake. However, it certainly wouldn't replace my 3DS XL as my main handheld (especially after all the work I did to customize mine), and I wouldn't consider taking this outside with me. If anything, it'll be something I own to let little kids play with when they visit instead of letting them use my XL.

The 'mobs' really ought to tone it down - pro 2DS and anti 2DS alike. Part of online forums is discussion and feedback, and at a certain point a "joke" (nicer version) stops being a joke and these 'consensus' threads just take turns for the worst.

Not that Nintendo memes aren't amusing.

great post. do you have any pix of your customizations?

Fletcher

I don't understand how having a non clam shell design is any better for kids than having one? It would seem that it would make more sense to be clam shell to protect the screens when kids are tossing it in backpacks and around the house?

Right?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't understand how having a non clam shell design is any better for kids than having one? It would seem that it would make more sense to be clam shell to protect the screens when kids are tossing it in backpacks and around the house?

Right?

i don't know if it's any better, but it's certainly more immediate and toy-like, something kids would find more comfortable

Sandfox

Right?

They probably did it because kids usually break the hinges and they're advertising a $12 case to keep it in on the official website.

Right?
The amount of hinge injuries that have resulted in top screens of DSes no longer working cannot be adequately expressed in words.

Right?

The spoiled rotten kids of today's hands are robotically set to hold devices they have no business handling like Ipads.

Isn't this an admission that 3D is a gimmick?

are they discontinuing the other two models? its a third model for kids younger than 7 and parents on budget who are worried about the 3d effect and moving parts. If you think 3d is a gimmick then move the 3d slider to the off position. Would you like a tutorial?

chepu

Welp, that actually aint nice, but at that price point and the lack of 3D its tempting me, i havent had a handheld since the Gba SP and my brother has a vita so.. I might bite

P.d: 20 Years Old, cant see properly/ dont like 3D effect, maybe is because of the glasses

And yes, I know i can turn off the 3d in a regular 3DS.

...on the other hand, will the og 3DS see a proce cut because of this? Sounds tempting also

Top Bottom