• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

DigitalOp

Banned
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize they were phasing out the OG 3DS for this.

This brings some ideas to the forefront..

1. Nintendo just brought back the Gameboy if you think about... with 3DS power.. this could be a marketing monster

2. With 3D tossed, do developers keep supporting the perks or do they toss it to the curb to take advantage of more memory?

3. Nintendo really killed it by launching with pokemon. I cannot lie, while failing in the home console territory, Ninty knows how to capture a handheld market. As of late though, their marketing techniques have been horrible.

4. Where are the trillion colors and see through model?

5. Despite the awkward appearance.. the model posses an actual purpose. A small cost barrier to access not only the 3DS library but the DS as well.. the price is only going to drop to 99 soon. Second hand market will have it 50-80.

Welcome to the second generation GBA era, friends.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It's a 20% permanent price drop. That's better than the Wii U got.

Unless I'm missing some magic dollar levels in Australia...

(I mean, I get that it isn't enough for you -- I'm just puzzled as to why releasing a budget model for 20% less is a bad thing.)

based on how exchange rates are, and how money is and the rrp of consoles / games.

imagine it was just a $20 drop from the 3ds in your americans.

not worth it really.

thefit

Welp, that actually aint nice, but at that price point and the lack of 3D its tempting me, i havent had a handheld since the Gba SP and my brother has a vita so.. I might bite

P.d: 20 Years Old, cant see properly/ dont like 3D effect, maybe is because of the glasses

And yes, I know i can turn off the 3d in a regular 3DS.

...on the other hand, will the og 3DS see a proce cut because of this? Sounds tempting also

you could also buy a 3ds on sale or even used and turn off the 3d I mean if you've saved $130 you should probably just keep going till you have enough for a proper 3ds.

Smellycat

49y5cA8.jpg

The Jer

initial reaction: Wait... seriously... this is a joke, right?

a few minutes later: This is actually a pretty smart move. Makes total sense to me.

eojoko

I think the "start" and "select" buttons will make this an excellent way to play VC games, which often utilize those buttons much more than more recent games.

I'd consider buying it at $129 just for some variety. . . if I could have all my digital games on two systems. Seriously bothersome. But I'm not the type to not buy digital games from Nintendo just because they have a horrible digital games policy. There's too much good stuff to avoid it on principle.

javac

Oh, but it did. It's okay dude; happens to the best of us.

God I'm a big Pokemon fan too! If I hadn't seen X/Y I would understand but I've been keeping up with them from day one, pre-ordered both and everything.

I'm ashamed of myself. I guess I'm still not used to the visual overhaul :$
and it's 5am.

watershed

Banned
Having seen some photos of people actually holding the 2ds it's not as hideous as I initially thought. In a way it makes more sense now.

Somnid

The more I look at it the more it grows on me. It think the square-ish wedge actually isn't a bad shape but the face and asymmetric screens is what makes it look bad. Start/select/home/power are all big improvements.

I'm not against the idea of a budget 3DS for people who might break the hinge, but I'm not sure I'd want to use the D-pad and play a game that needs the L-button.

eojoko

Having seen some photos of people actually holding the 2ds it's not as hideous as I initially thought. In a way it makes more sense now.

I thought it looked good as soon as I saw it. I can't think of a better design that retains all the functionality of this version.

Buttons are high so you can reach the shoulder buttons. The shoulder buttons look sturdier than other Nintendo handheld shoulder buttons. The "start" and "select" buttons are actually buttons (thank god!). The two cameras on the back, as it has been pointed out, are for AR games, not 3D pictures (in the 2DS at least).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
based on how exchange rates are, and how money is and the rrp of consoles / games.

imagine it was just a $20 drop from the 3ds in your americans.

not worth it really.

It's a 20% price reduction. I don't see how that's equivalent to a 12-13% price cut, which is what $20 off would be.

At first i was like "what the hell?" but after sitting on it and seeing more pics i have to say im really digging the design of this thing gives me a game and watch vibe.

P.S that red and white unit is sex.

Mlatador

Banned

Pw3GaAe.jpg

Looks much better than the OG 3DS and is definitely easier to hold. Just look at that. The Dpad and buttons are way to low on the OG 3DS to play comfortably for a longer time - that's why everyone was crying for an extra grip.

Edit: I just realized the gab between upper and lower screen on the 2DS is also smaller.

Roo

I must be the only human being on the face of the Earth that really likes this design.
Specially the red/white one.

Pw3GaAe.jpg

Looks much better than the OG 3DS and is definitely easier to hold. Just look at that. The Dpad and buttons are way to low on the OG 3DS to play comfortably for a longer time - that's why everyone was crying for an extra grip.

it looks like something a bootlegger would make.

javac

Well it looks alright to me. Controls are higher up so less cramped. Matte so no scratches and finger prints. Form factor looks better to me too. Granted I already have the GOAT White XL but yeah it looks fine.

Top Bottom