• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces the New 3DS XL for North America to be released February 13

dolabla

Probably not. Some stores, Target and Walmart in particular, put out their stock. You can try buying one, but I think the register will lock it out until Friday.

Ah, ok. I didn't try to buy one when I was out there. I might ride back out there in a little while to see.

That isn't true. Writing speed comes into play whenever anything is saved. My second 3DS (owner didn't format before pawning off) also came with a digital Kid Icarus Uprising (comparing with the one I have on my main 3DSXL) and a generic no brand Class 10 SDHC card. The game saves on every menu press (Sakurai :( ) and during idol toss. I see first hand that the copy played off the generic card takes a lot longer to move between menus and the idol toss screen hangs for longer.

But Class is primarily about reading speed and those are writing speed related issues.
Ah, didn't noticed that on my copy of KI:U.
But if you pick the top selling microSD card on Amazon, you should have little issue with games. It is not worth stressing over SDXC is good or not.
That is more for rendering video and such. SDHC will be fine for games.

Busaiku

Darn it, when I ordered the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate New 3DS XL at the store last month, the rep told me that since I'm close to the warehouse, I should get it over the weekend.
But after calling CS, they're telling me it'll be 5-10 days now...

And it's too late to change the shipping.
I wanted to change the shipping at the store, but the rep told me that it wouldn't matter...

As someone who is buying a 3ds for the first time is there anything I should buy besides the charger that I'll need for the system?

Screen protectors and a card case

I second the card case and screen protectors. I bought my first ever screen protectors (for n3DS XL) and I feel pretty good about it. I would also pick up a case to hold your system in and a shell to protect your system. I found a pretty cool one at Target (not available online so ymwv) but it's got Mario and co. on it and it holds
I think
26 game cards, places for car charger/regular charger, extra styluses and the system itself. I want to say it's 20$ but I could be wrong. I'm definitely going to pick it up for myself next time I go.

I recommend this case and these screen protectors. I've been using the OG XL version of the shell and I stand by HORI. I really like their products. I have a gamepad case and screen protectors by HORI for my Wii U as well. Hope this was helpful for you. :)

Edit: Also, I'm using an older model of this for storage.

Nintendo of America's supply manager in action:
gamingdog.jpg

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I am having the hardest time deciding if I want the console or not. I did get my tax return but I don't know. Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game that I haven't played and Monster Hunter 4 looks great but I am not sure beyond this month. STEAM could be okay but other than that? I dunno. I am just really back and forth.

webkatt

Can you guys take pictures of the XL not fitting in your pockets?

I keep hearing the argument but I don't believe it.

Personally I am waiting on a non XL version myself.

PARANOiA2MB

Neo Member
Target broke the street date, at least online, at one point (it currently shows 'in-store only' on their website). Went to pre-order one on Target.com, and noticed it said it was in stock (the black one only). Slapped on express shipping for the hell of it and it actually shipped that same day--it arrived yesterday. The super-stable 3D works stunningly well.

pPVH505h.jpg

Can't decide if I want one so I just ordered a Black from bestbuy.com. Hey, free shipping. Don't want the Zelda one. If I change my mind I'll return it.

Any news on the firmware it ships with yet?

Demigod Mac

Pre-ordered a black on Bestbuy.com after learning about the feud between Nintendo and Amazon (had no idea this was going on, just thought Amazon was being uncharacteristically slow on the uptake)

I'm surprised Best Buy is still taking pre-orders... Think they're just taking as many as they can get regardless of day one stock?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Can I use a 128 gig micro SD card or is that size not supported? I realize I will never use up that space but there are piles of them at my work so I figure I might as well go big.

I believe as long as it's formatted as fat32 it should work.

Right, it should ... just need to format it first on your PC using something like the free MiniTool Partition Wizard. You can't just plug it in as the 3DS won't format anything about 32GB itself.

I have a 64GB in mine and a bunch of games... but it's nowhere near full. 128GB might be serious overkill. Absent the equivalent of the Vita's Playstation Plus, I just don't fill a 3DS as quickly.

Jeremy

For those wondering about Best Buy, my order placed at noon on 11th Feb. (yesterday) has been moved from 'Payment Validated' to 'Preparing Order'. May still be worth checking in to as a backup if you have disposable funds and don't want to risk not finding one in stores for a while.

mozfan12

Banned
Got a text from my local GameStop telling me that I could pick it up tomorrow night. Had no idea they were still doing midnight releases, might just do it. Glad I preordered, I did not want to risk going on a hunt looking for one.

Thoraxes

Got a text from my local GameStop telling me that I could pick it up tomorrow night. Had no idea they were still doing midnight releases, might just do it. Glad I preordered, I did not want to risk going on a hunt looking for one.

Not all stores are doing midnight launches either! You got lucky.

Glad I usually have a small bag with me and/or wear cargo shorts almost all the time due to work
Heh, lucky. I have to wear dress pants to work. I can get by having the regular n3DS in it all day. OG XL not so much.
So the pocket complaint is true. You really do need an extra pocket or case and bag.

Tidd

Does anyone know how long the data transfer take if you already use a microSD card? I read that a transfer with a 4gb card takes 2hours. So I hope that without a SDcard the transfer is faster.

Does anyone know how long the data transfer take if you already use a microSD card? I read that a transfer with a 4gb card takes 2hours. So I hope that without a SDcard the transfer is faster.
A license only transfer should be pretty quick, but I haven't done it personally.

I would also like to know for sure, since I'll be doing mine at GameStop on lunch break.

It will take 2 hours if you transfer saves not using a file manager. Just license transfer is 15-30 minutes.

Oregano

I ordered Majora's Mask and the N3DS Create-a-bundle from the Nintendo UK Store. My MM was dispatched two days ago and my N3DS yesterday. I received a package today expecting MM3D but look what came instead:

Just getting everything transferred over but I love the system so far. It really reminds me of the DSi. Just totally solid feel.

...and Majora's Mask just showed up whilst I was posting! Yay!

melman101

I'm so jelly of everyone getting their n3DS's (XL's).

I have mine pre-ordered at GameStop so I have to wait till tomorrow AM to go get it (they are not doing a midnight launch).

I'm so excited for it, and I'm actually not sure why LOL. I think the improved 3D should be great, and the C-Stick for Smash is probably going to be amazing.

I ordered Majora's Mask and the N3DS Create-a-bundle from the Nintendo UK Store. My MM was dispatched two days ago and my N3DS yesterday. I received a package today expecting MM3D but look what came instead:
Looks great!
I ordered a black PAL version from Amazon France. Did you order any faceplates as well? I am curious what the Monster Hunter ones look like since they seem to be EU exclusive for now.

I'm so excited for it, and I'm actually not sure why LOL. I think the improved 3D should be great, and the C-Stick for Smash is probably going to be amazing.
It really does make the game playable without cramps or broken analog sticks, but not really amazing though.
If the c-stick was maybe a softer material, then I would say it can be amazing but it is really rough to play for long sessions. 30 minutes at a time though you should be fine.
If CPP was supported, then that would make it amazing. Right now n3DS Smash is great though.

The C-Stick material is less of an issue in MH4 and MM because you don't have to touch it much at all to get feedback compared to Smash in which you have to flick it.

Just getting everything transferred over but I love the system so far. It really reminds me of the DSi. Just totally solid feel.

...and Majora's Mask just showed up whilst I was posting! Yay!

That's what I'm getting vibes from, the DSi. It really does feel like a 3DSi, but I guess they didn't want to use that name cause reasons.

FaintDeftone

Still hoping Best Buy ships today. If not, I'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get it. I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship my MM3D LE too.

Would love to be able to play both this weekend but I didn't want to risk the actual console selling out tomorrow before I could get up to Best Buy and grab one (I had reward gift cards so I only wanted to buy it there).

That's what I'm getting vibes from, the DSi. It really does feel like a 3DSi, but I guess they didn't want to use that name cause reasons.
It is pretty much a DSi in spirit, but actually like it a bit more because covers really are a unique thing to come from the handheld space. With the XL though, due to how it is built, it is purely a DSi though.

Oregano

Looks great!
I ordered a black PAL version from Amazon France. Did you order any faceplates as well? I am curious what the Monster Hunter ones look like since they seem to be EU exclusive for now.

I'm getting a Mario set as part of the bundle but they've been sent separately. I might buy the Monster Hunter set too, not really decided yet.

My transfer went a bit weird though. A load of titles were missing so I switched it off and back on again and then they were all just on the mainscreen in the little present wrap as if I'd downloaded them fresh. Bit odd but everything seems to be working.

Played the MonHun demo again and I'm trying Codename Steam now. The nub really works well, I'm quite surprised. You don't push, you kind of lean your thumb.

Top Bottom