• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom announced in Japan

ranmafan

Do we know if they had shortages in japan?

Where I live I surprisingly saw preorder slips last longer than other places in the country where I was hearing preorders had ended insanely fast. But I hadn't seen any for the last two weeks so even in my area they all got picked up, and from what I saw this weekend it's sold out everywhere. Hopefully they get more out there. Although I'm expecting another PS VR situation where it won't be found anytime soon at any store and there will be nothing but insane internet auction prices and such

Still a bit surprised here they kept the original console/controller size ratio (or close to that - for the Famicom one).

They went with practicality (well, besides the short cords) for the NES Classic, but went with aesthetics for the Japanese Famicom. I have to admit that the mini controllers do look pretty cool and probably sold based on the "cuteness factor" in Japan.

Are those controllers hard wired into the system like the original Famicom? Or do they use the Wii controller ports as well?

They went with practicality (well, besides the short cords) for the NES Classic, but went with aesthetics for the Japanese Famicom. I have to admit that the mini controllers do look pretty cool and probably sold based on the "cuteness factor" in Japan.

Are those controllers hard wired into the system like the original Famicom? Or do they use the Wii controller ports as well?

Hardwired like the original design

Hardwired like the original design

I just found a tear down video of the Famicom Classic on Youtube, and yeah they are.

Ryun0mU.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM77oL0n6JM

They are keeping it pretty faithful.

Impotaku

Nobody quote me on that, but those hardwired famciom pad connector plugs look an awful lot like the full sized ones, i wonder if it's possible to actually plug some full sized ones directly into the board?

tiijj

They really did a good job with these. I prefer the nes controller coz of the size but the famicom one is manageable.

I can't wait for the sfc/snes one.

TLZ

Banned
Nobody quote me on that, but those hardwired famciom pad connector plugs look an awful lot like the full sized ones, i wonder if it's possible to actually plug some full sized ones directly into the board?

If it's easy I'd do it for mine.

D.Lo

Yeah the controllers on the original are not actually hard wired, it's just the plug is internal.

They look different in this but have similar connection plugs, typical industrial white pin connectors. They may be adaptable if the controllers use the same signals.

Impotaku

Have no idea why so many people seem to struggle with the size it's not even like the smallest controller Nintendo have ever made. I have massive hands and can easily play this for hours.

yHhnT0N.jpg

In comparison the famicom mini pad looks massive.

StayDead

Small controller, but I have huge hands and no issues with it.

I'm in love with Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai

It's making me seriously consider buying the Kunio-kun collection.

StayDead

People who haven't touched it.

Yup, this is my experience as well. When I posted that I had one on another forum lots of people were all "oh wow the controller is so small, my hands are cramping looking at it". Me however, with 6"5 man size hands is having no issues :>

Impotaku

Who's struggling with it?

Try reading all the thread, it's littered with plenty of people saying it's too small or unuseable or unplayable. Guessing none of them have actually touched a pad yet, got to try it out for myself on friday as my friends machine turned up. It plays fine, the only weird bit is having the controller cord on the side but seeing as it rests between the gaps of your fingers it still feels comfortable.

I honestly think it's more comfortable than the standard NES pad. It just melts into your hand, whereas I've never liked the sharp edges of the NES controller.

Impotaku

Can I use a Japanese one in Europe?
What's the power supply story?

It uses a 5 volt 1 amp usb power supply, you can pick one up for relatively little money. Chances are you might already have one laying around if you have a mobile phone.

[edit] ^ what they said hehe

Impotaku

This is when Nintendo go one size further, found all these in a drawer while tidying up today. Been quite a few years since i last laid eyes on them as i forgot where i had put them.

Plan on having them in a display with the mini when it turns up. The detail is stunning, so you can insert the peripherals and carts and unplug the cables ect.

SchjVnq.jpg

LlKiGwV.jpg

zE53HR6.jpg

bCuJQix.jpg

The carts are erasers, annoyingly they didn't attempt to match the rubber to the actual real cart colour for some of those.

t77TYLc.jpg

MbWM6Ez.jpg

Impotaku

Well it seems Amazon Japan must have got their restock of famicom mini as i have just been informed by them that mine has just shipped earlier than they said it would as it was originally scheduled for dec 13th-16th. Didn't mind waiting, getting it for 6156yen and zero customs fees made it worth been patient.

Impotaku

I was a bit torn on ordering them as well, famicom pads are usually pretty resilient but as the years knock on they will start to wear due to the rubbing while playing plus sweat from your hands, not sure if nintendo used the same kind of covering for the minis. In the end i caved in but i lessened the dent by using my 736 amazon points that i had burning a hole in my pocket so it brought the total down.

One pair should last pretty much last a very long time, seeing as the pads are hardwired though i thought it wise to protect them.

Impotaku

Yay finally arrived along with the pad protectors. Took a while to get delivered but only paying 6135yen for it made it worth the wait, had zero import tax to pay as well hehe.
kLEJH6U.jpg

The pad protectors are pretty good they have silicone on the bottom layer so they are removable with no adhesive left behind, the top coat is pretty tough too there's no way these will wear out in a hurry. Once they are placed on they become almost invisible and you can't feel any difference when they are on.

qUVQeSu.jpg

56fdn7b.jpg

Top Bottom