• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom announced in Japan

Anyone know of anywhere in Tokyo I could get one of these? In Tokyo for my honeymoon. Didn't realise it was out the 10th which was our first day and we were pretty spaced out due to jet lag. Otherwise how would I find out about restocks? Here for another 11 days :)

Porcile

It was sold in Yodobashi Yokohama, but I paid in full back in October. Picked it up yesterday. Such a cool little device. The controllers feel fine. Did the original Famicom come with burgandy cables? Kinda tempted to buy the ones they have on Amazon if so. The Disk System storage box looks a little shitty for the price. I need to see the final product.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Seems there's some quirky stuff coming out due to the re-release of the famicom, along with the wave of famicom classic coloured power adapters and usb cables theres some pretty cool famicom classic magazines been issued.

My fave bit of merchandise is this though, a tiny storage box to keep your cables in when not in use, looks just like a disk system. As a bonus they even include the missing clear info stickers for the power and reset switch to add to your famicom classic to make it look 100% authentic.

Want.

How come I can't seem to find this anywhere online?

EDIT: Oh. Not out yet.

More famitat hehe, a quite nice storage case has gone up on Amazon. Reminds me of the ones from old for the super famicom & famicom. As with the disk system box it also comes with stickers to add to your famicom to replace the missing power & reset button info.

Out Jan 31st for the sum of 1,944 yen, link is here for anyone interested.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N8TI8IT/

Strage is like a portmanteau of strange and storage

Picked mine up this afternoon without much trouble. The biggest Geo store in my area was sold out but another local hobby store had five or six of them in stock.

I live in the sticks though. No idea what the stock in big cities is like.

Not had a chance to give it a proper go but it's a nice wee device. Played through the first four stages of SMB and had no problem with the cable length which was a big concern for many. The size of the controllers may be a problem for those of you with big hands though as they are absolutely tiny.

Took some pics before I hooked it up.

The packaging is awesome for this.

Alcibiades

Since the NES Classic Edition will be a headache to get and I'm just gonna wait on that 'till I get lucky or there is plenty of supply.

In the meantime I figure I'd go for this - my main concern is getting ripped off on the price. I think Play Asia has them for about $140 U.S. (not including shipping). Is that a fair price? Better than ebay on the NES Classic and I would love the novelty of owning this anyway.

Other concern is the small controllers but I guess there is no fix for that issue. :/

Stobie

Neo Member
Since the NES Classic Edition will be a headache to get and I'm just gonna wait on that 'till I get lucky or there is plenty of supply.

In the meantime I figure I'd go for this - my main concern is getting ripped off on the price. I think Play Asia has them for about $140 U.S. (not including shipping). Is that a fair price? Better than ebay on the NES Classic and I would love the novelty of owning this anyway.

Other concern is the small controllers but I guess there is no fix for that issue. :/

I'm living in Japan but $140USD not including shipping seems incredibly steep, the retail price here is only about $55 - $60USD. However I haven't even been able to find one in stores here and the Japanese auction sites I've looked at are also flooded with overpriced listings from scalpers. (Although a bit more reasonably priced than what I've seen on eBay.)

If your only reason for buying the Famicom Mini is because you can't get a NES Classic then I'd recommend either waiting for the NES Classic to be restocked because you're better off to wait for the Famicom too.

Alcibiades

I'm living in Japan but $140USD not including shipping seems incredibly steep, the retail price here is only about $55 - $60USD. However I haven't even been able to find one in stores here and the Japanese auction sites I've looked at are also flooded with overpriced listings from scalpers. (Although a bit more reasonably priced than what I've seen on eBay.)

If your only reason for buying the Famicom Mini is because you can't get a NES Classic then I'd recommend either waiting for the NES Classic to be restocked because you're better off to wait for the Famicom too.

Thanks for the response.

Alright I guess I'll wait then. Seems Play Asia is inflating prices. I figure $140 is better than the $200+ prices in ebay for the NES Classic, but I'll probably just use the Wii Virtual Console to hold me over.

Laws00

Anyone in the US get theirs shipped from Amazon Japan yet? Mine is not scheduled to show up until next month.

I pre ordered mine the day someone posted the amazon link on here.

i got it the day it came out on the 11th but i might have been the 12th in japan

when did you order yours?

vanty

Just got home and found an Amazon Japan box waiting by the door a day earlier than expected. Amazon Japan/DHL with the mad quickness. Chiba to Melbourne in four days including the weekend.

Controller size is perfectly fine. Obviously the cables are short but I can sit on the edge of my couch with the system on the coffee table and make it work. When I work out what HDMI cable I have that is unnecessarily long I can switch things up and probably sit back no problems.

First I just had it sitting under the TV to test and wow standing that close to a 60" TV is not comfortable ahah

KtSlime

I wish they would make more, people bought all of them up instantly and I can't get one unless I want to pay a scalper.

xevis

Banned
Just got home and found an Amazon Japan box waiting by the door a day earlier than expected. Amazon Japan/DHL with the mad quickness. Chiba to Melbourne in four days including the weekend.

Same! Haven't opened the box yet; still deciding if I want to keep it or gift it. Either way, it looks amazing. How cool are the post-cards??!? It looks like there's one for each of the thirty games!

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Can anyone confirm if this thing has lag? Especially with platform games lag would be a no-go for me.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
x1mgQP3.jpg

SxQCOFh.jpg

qTat0Ib.jpg

q6vjwI9.jpg

:D thought, maybe someone want some more pictures..
even tough the controllers are really small, I did not get cramps so far

Jackano

Still a bit surprised here they kept the original console/controller size ratio (or close to that - for the Famicom one).

:D thought, maybe someone want some more pictures..
even tough the controllers are really small, I did not get cramps so far

This design is far and away better than the NES mini, which is only partially miniaturized, requires an additional controller purchase, the controllers have to be plugged in, etc.

This is faithful to the true miniaturization.

The smallness of the controllers is cool for something that is, let's be honest, a novelty anyway.

Bog

Junior Ace
Mine came in Friday (US from Amazon JP).

I really love this thing. I don't know how practical it'll be to play very often as the controllers feel like a GB Micro and you have to be within a couple feet of the console, but just from the perspective of a toy Famicom on my desk that I can power on to play River City Ransom, it's worth the $70 to me.

Link_enfant

Lookds like DHL has delivered my Famicom Mini today, will get to try it tonight.
I could also get the NES Mini and it's pretty awesome, my only complaints would be:

- the reset button isn't "smooth" like the power button (can't find another way to explain it). Also mine requires to be pushed quite hard to work, a regular press would just do nothing. Maybe that only concerns my unit though

- reset button again; I wish it acted like an actual reset button just as it did on the original NES. It always goes back to the main menu while creating a save state which you can keep or not, but this could have been done by holding the reset button for like 1 or 2 seconds. It could have allowed a fast reset option for speedruns too, afaik there's no way to do it in any NES Mini game because of this

- I'd consider the emulation perfect if it weren't for the slight sound delay. It doesn't really affect gameplay and it's overall way better than Wii U's NES VC, but if you're used to the original sound timing you'll notice it almost instantly, like Mario's jump sound comes many frames later than when it should.
I'm curious to kind out if that's the same for Famicom Mini.

I can't wait to try out those japanese games so, I'm glad we even got the FDS version of Zelda 1 as it wasn't the case for the 3DS VC version.

Nice touch: FDS games get a Disk System intro.

Having found the small controllers not a big deal, makes me less concerned about the size of Switch controllers.

Link_enfant

Can you use both NES Mini's HDMI and USB cables on the Famicom Mini?
That would make things way easier for those who own both.

Top Bottom