• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom announced in Japan

Neoxon

giphy.gif
Rumor has it that the last words that King Gilga heard were "Killer Queen".

His/her body was never found.

No idea, this one looks smaller :(

Which of these changes make sense for the Japanese market? I can understand attached controllers since that was the original design for the Famicom, but it doesn't mean it's not an objectively worse form factor. Bleh. I'll probably have a friend / relative back in Mexico buy the NA version for me.

Well I didn't grow up with the Famicom but I imagine a big part of the nostalgia is that the controllers were attached to the console and lived in little slots on the unit, and removing that bit of its history would be "objectively" different and not in the spirit of the original.

Also, not including the AC adapter is aparrently the norm over there. This discussion comes up every time Nintendo sells something and the "lol plug sold separately" circle jerk begins anew.

Link_enfant

I think Game Boy Micro is fine and pretty much playable. We've got tiny d-pads on GBA, GC controllers, Wiimotes... As long as the buttons are comfortable it should be fine, even if they should have made NES Mini/Classic Controllers compatible with it.

Retrobox

Poor Japanese people don't get a controller they can use for other Nintendo systems, or even any other system for that matter. However, the Famicom Mini reveal trailer has an astronomical amount of views and likes compared to all the other content on their Japanese YT channel. Looks like they made the correct call after all then.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'd buy one if you could detached the controller and plug it into a Wiimote. But hardwired like the original Famicom is a bad idea.

duckroll

Damn I don't think I can buy this in good faith. It looks soooooooooo perfect except... it will basically be a display model because those controllers are unusable. And I have small hands!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Damn I don't think I can buy this in good faith. It looks soooooooooo perfect except... it will basically be a display model because those controllers are unusable. And I have small hands!

I have huge hands and play FF V 4-6 times a year on a Gameboy Micro, which is smaller than this controller. If I can do it so can you!

Raitaro

While indeed small, the controller layout doesn't strike me as very different to or much smaller than a Gameboy Advance SP or Micro in terms of physical dimensions / space between buttons. I guess it could be fine in other words, or fine enough.

Has anyone compared the controller to a GBA (SP)?

I wouldn't mind the tiny controllers if I could plug in a wii classic controller in the back or somewhere as an alternative. It's so cute but no way that will be comfortable.

D.Lo

Controls seem to be as big as the ones in the GB Micro or are they smaller?
Looks slightly larger honestly. Need to know the size of that guy's hands, but I would say It looks the same or maybe slightly larger than the original GBA d-pad?

NIntendo has made much smaller dpads and they were fine too.

I could deal with the size; after all, GB Micro was fine - the most uncomfortable parts to use were the triggers, which this won't have. But the cable coming out the side.. that's just wrong!

Somnid

The scale makes it soo cute. I want this thing for the tiny controllers, I can play the games on a million pieces of hardware just fine, it's the hardware novelty factor that makes these interesting at all.

colinp

Banned
There was a Nintendo event up here in northern Japan at a local mall and I unsuspectingly got to attend. Got to spend a good eight minutes with the famicom mini and it's awesome! I've got pretty big hands but it felt comfortable and I didn't have any issues. In retrospect it does remind me of the GBA SP as far as size, though I am not sure how comparable they actually are.

I was worried the cord coming out of the left side for P1 would be an issue but it fit snugly between my fingers and didn't get in the way.

I played Mario, Mario USA (i.e. 2 in the states), Ninja Gaiden, Rockman 2 and Ghouls & Ghosts.

Ended up getting a sweeeet Famicom file folder (as well as a Splatoon fan and notebook).

I wasn't planning on getting one before but now I'm kinda thinking I want one. It's so slick!

There was a Nintendo event up here in northern Japan at a local mall and I unsuspectingly got to attend. Got to spend a good eight minutes with the famicom mini and it's awesome! I've got pretty big hands but it felt comfortable and I didn't have any issues. In retrospect it does remind me of the GBA SP as far as size, though I am not sure how comparable they actually are.

I was worried the cord coming out of the left side for P1 would be an issue but it fit snugly between my fingers and didn't get in the way.

I played Mario, Mario USA (i.e. 2 in the states), Ninja Gaiden, Rockman 2 and Ghouls & Ghosts.

Ended up getting a sweeeet Famicom file folder (as well as a Splatoon fan and notebook).

I wasn't planning on getting one before but now I'm kinda thinking I want one. It's so slick!
Thanks for the impressions. That's good to hear about the controller despite its size.

-sdp

The controller is small so you'll be ready by March when the Switch comes out and want to play multiplayer.

Laws00

So i'm on Amazon Japan since the month i've pre-ordered this thing and looking how far a long it is I see this "International Shipping: We're sorry; this item can not be shipped outside Japan".

Should I be worried at all? Hopefully it's honored.

Datschge

Don't know if someone has posted already, but does anyone know if the Famicom Mini will have the extra sound chip-esque music that differed from the US NES? (For reference, the JPN Zelda vs the US Zelda theme song)
That's the added music channels for Famicom Disk System games (of which Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid and Castlevania 1 are included). Those should be supported (since Japan technically doesn't even know the bastardized Western versions).

D.Lo

That's the added music channels for Famicom Disk System games (of which Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid and Castlevania 1 are included). Those should be supported (since Japan technically doesn't even know the bastardized Western versions).
Akumajou Dracula doesn't use the extra channels, and Zelda 1 got a cart release with the western soundtrack, so those two are the same (or have a version of the same) for Japanese gamers, but Zelda, Zelda 2 and Metroid are clearly the FDS versions sound wise yep.

Shame Japan doesn't get Dracula II, it has cool FDS music but is super annoying to play because of the load times every time you leave/enter a town. A no load times version would be sweet.

D.Lo

Hoping these ship a bit early to 'arrive' on release day or soon after, that's how these things work sometimes right? I've never pre-ordered anything online before.

So i'm on Amazon Japan since the month i've pre-ordered this thing and looking how far a long it is I see this "International Shipping: We're sorry; this item can not be shipped outside Japan".

Should I be worried at all? Hopefully it's honored.

check to see if it's the same seller you ordered from

Microtic

Neo Member
Here is the one I ordered from apparently the month or 2 when someone posted the link for the pre order that they said had "international shipping"

Sold by: Amazon Japan G.K.

I'm in the same boat. Really hope they don't cancel my order.

I have a Tenso address... I wonder if I should ship there, then have it forwarded to me...

Top Bottom