• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom announced in Japan

Jimrpg

I can't see it being as popular as the one in the west. For one thing, many stores in Japan still sell famicom cartridges and the original console. You can also get updated third party NES consoles that looked pretty decent last I checked and comes with the RCA input.

Sucks there's no Dragon Quest on it. Also no SMB2j. I mean I know why, because SMB2j was originally disk system only, but still. It'll have 1 and 3 but no 2. Whereas us non-Japanese people will get 1, 2 and 3. Of course a different 2 but still. If only it had 2j because then it'd be a complete set.

They should totally release an add-on FDS later on. Then they can include SMB2j.

Actually if you look closely, there are a couple FDS games included, so that's not why.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see it being as popular as the one in the west. For one thing, many stores in Japan still sell famicom cartridges and the original console. You can also get updated third party NES consoles that looked pretty decent last I checked and comes with the RCA input.

the one with the AC Adapter is already sold out. I mean I know it does not say anything about how much it will sell in the end, but it's a nice start.

But I get what you're saying..I just don't think they cater to the same kind of audience/target audience.

not interested at all in it, but for my taste western exclusives >>> japan exclusives

the original Famicom Mini for GBA are miles better than this mini console

Celine

For those wondering which exclusives each region gets

NES Classic exclusive: Bubble Bobble, Castlevania 2, Donkey Kong Jr, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Startropics, Tecmo Bowl

Famicom exclusive: Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Atlantis no Nazo, Solomon's Key, Tsuppari Sumo, River City Ransom, Final Fantasy 3, Mario Club Golf, Downtown Street Challenge
We got the better deal.
The only Famicom game I regret is River City Ransom.

neonglow

Of the 22 games that the NES Mini and Famicom Mini have in common, which games play differently from each other? I preordered the Famicom so I want to try out familiar games with like an easier difficulty or different sprites.

Preordered it along with the Fire Emblem Fates soundtrack set because I forgot it was in my cart but might as well get it too to save time.

StayDead

I've ordered the UK one. Why do I want this one so bad. The exclusive games interest me, but it seems a waste to spend £45 on like 6 famicom games. The design though. Perhaps I should just cancel my UK order and order this when it goes up on amiami (which will hopefully be soon!)

Tadaima

Specifications:

50.45mm x 108.12mm x 142.47mm
229g

720p/480p

BTUxxP1.png

yPRIaMU.png

edit: double post, sorry

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Specifications:

720p/480p

Oh that's interesting, no 1080p. They seem to have come to the same conclusion as the AVS, with 720 being a more accurate scale of the original resolution (especially with scanlines).

I take that as a good sign, actually. It means they're actually trying for accurate picture quality.

Celine

Specifications:

50.45mm x 108.12mm x 142.47mm
229g

720p/480p
Only 720p...
That's a bit disappointing although I only have a HD ready plasma.

EDIT:
Oh that's interesting, no 1080p. They seem to have come to the same conclusion as the AVS, with 720 being a more accurate scale of the original resolution (especially with scanlines).

I take that as a good sign, actually. It means they're actually trying for accurate picture quality.
Oh interesting.

Piccoro

This is awesome! Can the controllers come off and be replaced?
Or are they hardwired like in the original Famicom?

Edit: Also, do the games have the Famicom Disk System enhancements? Like the better sound in Zelda and others?

BocoDragon

Only 720p...
That's a bit disappointing although I only have a HD ready plasma.

1080 wouldn't really benefit you in this case.

Not unless you have a TV with really poor/slow scaling of 720p -> 1080p. Which as I understand it, is pretty rare. Most HDTVs do have good/fast scaling of 720p.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This is awesome! Can the controllers come off and be replaced?
Or are they hardwired like in the original Famicom?

Edit: Also, do the games have the Famicom Disk System enhancements? Like the better sound in Zelda and others?

as far as we know hardwired.

BocoDragon

Surely. I *think* i heard the extra sound channels in Metroid in the promo reel.

Virtual Console had them. Basically, as far as Japan and their nostalgia are concerned, that's how the game sounds. Nintendo are sticklers for preserving a region's experience of a console (ask PAL gamers and how they still got 50hz games on VC, by and large. Yikes), so I think it will be there.

Piccoro

Surely. I *think* i heard the extra sound channels in Metroid in the promo reel.

Virtual Console had them. Basically, as far as Japan and their nostalgia are concerned, that's how the game sounds. Nintendo are sticklers for preserving a region's experience of a console (ask PAL gamers and how they still got 50hz games on VC, by and large. Yikes), so I think it will be there.

That's great! But did the NES games had the extra sound channels on the EU/US Virtual Console? Or was it only the JP VC versions?

duckroll

Erm, so? This isn't targeted at people who would buy an actual retro Famicom or people who care about RCA input. This is targeted at people who want a cheap and accessible way to play a bunch of acclaimed retro classics. 30 games in a tiny device you can plug into any modern TV or monitor, two controllers, no hassle. All for just 60 dollars.

D.Lo

Yep. They could do a 960 line with borders mode, but you know the casuals would complain about the 'wasted screen space'

This way it's perfect scaling for 4K sets, and 1080p screens can do the scaling from 720/480 however they manage it.

BocoDragon

That's great! But did the NES games had the extra sound channels on the EU/US Virtual Console? Or was it only the JP VC versions?

Only the JP VC versions.

Just as I was saying, they preserve our nostalgia in our region, by giving us the exact same versions as we had back in the day.

I don't think it's that wrong of an instinct. Famicom Disk System Zelda II does not sound like the game we all knew. It is a jarring experience to play that version when you're familiar with the one we got.

Options would always be nice, of course.

StayDead

Damnit, I dawdled on pressing the order button on amiami and now preorders are closed. I guess I'll stick with the UK one :/

lancelam

Neo Member
And in the specification page, we can see what'll be included in the box…
skUEWui.jpg

Let's see… we have:
  • 1 Nintendo Classic Mini famicom
  • 1 High speed HDMI cable
  • 1 User manual
  • 1 USB cable (for power supply), and…
  • 1 My Nintendo serial ticket

Well, I'm not sure what the serial does… maybe just gold points?

StayDead

I wonder what price playasia are going to charge for this. Now I've missed out on amiami I can't think of anywhere else (amazon seems super expensive and no idea if they ship to UK)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what price playasia are going to charge for this. Now I've missed out on amiami I can't think of anywhere else (amazon seems super expensive and no idea if they ship to UK)

they ship to europe and I don't understand why you think it's expensive. I pay 77€ with 2-3 day shipping all taxes already paid by amazon.co.jp so I do not have to walk to the customs and deal with their shit.

you could always buy from solaris japan tho, they just send me an email that they'll sell it. Personally I would never buy from play-asia again.

Laws00

flohen95

I was hoping that they would only do decoy controllers on the side of the system itself and have ports on the back (or use the expansion port on the front) for the actual controllers. Totally selfishly so, since I was hoping to get some replacement shells for my actual Famicom controllers. But alas. The mini controllers do have a certain charme to them.

StayDead

they ship to europe and I don't understand why you think it's expensive. I pay 77€ with 2-3 day shipping all taxes already paid by amazon.co.jp so I do not have to walk to the customs and deal with their shit.

you could always buy from solaris japan tho, they just send me an email that they'll sell it. Personally I would never buy from play-asia again.

I missread something and was being stupid.

Ordering from there.

Piccoro

Only the JP VC versions.

Just as I was saying, they preserve our nostalgia in our region, by giving us the exact same versions as we had back in the day.

I don't think it's that wrong of an instinct. Famicom Disk System Zelda II does not sound like the game we all knew. It is a jarring experience to play that version when you're familiar with the one we got.

Options would always be nice, of course.

Yeah, I agree with you except I don't want anything to do with 50hz EU versions. I rather play the games faster then I remember them, lol.

StayDead

Ordered from Amazon Japan. Now, do I cancel my order for the NES one from Game or keep them both? :eek:

*probably will cancel game order, don't have £100 really do dump on game stuff anymore*

Maybe it's... not that much smaller? http://thegamekun.com/top-6-differences-famicom-nes-controllers/

It still seems to be, but that guy's hand still kind of dwarfs the controller.
That is comparing original Famicom and original NEs controllers. NES Mini controllers are the same size as NES conotroller while this Mini Famicom has smaller hardwired controllers (to match the Famicom and since the mini Famicom is smaller...)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/spec.html

second controller does NOT have a microphone.
Guess that means no Beat Takeshi no Kusogae Challenge will ever appear on these things.

Gyrian

Annoyingly enough, the AC adapter is now sold out from Amazon but available by a third party at 4X the price. I hope more show up from Amazon themselves.

EDIT: Jesus, even amiami is sold out on both systems and adapters. This thing is HOT.

Link_enfant

I've just realized that 720p scales perfectly to 2160p. NES and Famicom Mini will still look great on 4K TVs as long as it does a good upscaling job.
Should still look fine on 1080p screens though, I'll see when it's released.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Annoyingly enough, the AC adapter is now sold out from Amazon but available by a third party at 4X the price. I hope more show up from Amazon themselves.

EDIT: Jesus, even amiami is sold out on both systems and adapters. This thing is HOT.

you know you can use ANY usb AC Adapter, right? You probably know that and really want the Nintendo one..just thought I tell you to be sure :D

Ordered from Amazon Japan. Now, do I cancel my order for the NES one from Game or keep them both? :eek:

*probably will cancel game order, don't have £100 really do dump on game stuff anymore*

I face the same problem right now :D

StayDead

you know you can use ANY usb AC Adapter, right? You probably know that and really want the Nintendo one..just thought I tell you to be sure :D

Should be fine with all voltages right? I guess we'll find this out closer to release/by seeing an actual box, but I can't imagine needing a step down converter for this with a UK power supply. I'm just going to use my old iPhone USB plug socket.

Top Bottom