• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom announced in Japan

foltzie1

Oh man look at the controller

Ctj7qFwVYAA1Jhb.jpg:large

That thing is as adorable as it looks to be poorly functional.

Weird that Kid Icarus is US exclusive.

Stuff like Startropics and Punch-Out!! I can understand considering they're far more popular in America than in Japan (ST never even came out in Japan lol).

It's going to be weird to see a little plug and play budget box outsell the latest PS hardware.

I don't know why but I feel that the sales of PS4 Pro will not be too hot in Japan.

Anyway, I am thinking which one should I buy. I like FC Mini's appearance, but NES Mini has better library.

Dub117

Wow that controller is ridiculous. Did they say anything about preorders in the US for the NES mini? Shouldn't it be up by now?

LQX

Man that thing is ugly. I still might import one though if the prices are not too obscene.

Here's a thought...

What if Nintendo have miniaturised the NES/SNES/GBA/DS and maybe more in this way? It must be running an ARM chip if it's powered by USB.

So they could add this emulation functionality into the NX quite easily.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I had assumed they'd make the controllers in the system a facade, and plug the real one into the Famicom expansion port.

I thought "Maybe you can use the US controllers on the FC Mini", but nope, the wire goes into the back without a connector directly visible.

It looks like it may not include mic support? The holes are molded into the P2 controller, but not really there, it looks like. I guess the only game I know would be affected off-hand would be TLoZ, and that was kind of an easter egg.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Man, our version kicks this one's ass up and down the street. Better list of games and regular-size controllers you can use on the Wii/Wii U VC, to boot.

Man, our version kicks this one's ass up and down the street. Better list of games and regular-size controllers you can use on the Wii/Wii U VC, to boot.
For real.

Maybe Japan will drop an AV Famicom mini with games from 1992+ and detachable dogbone controllers. If not, they really got the short end of the stick.

foltzie1

I thought "Maybe you can use the US controllers on the FC Mini", but nope, the wire goes into the back without a connector directly visible.

It looks like it may not include mic support? The holes are molded into the P2 controller, but not really there, it looks like. I guess the only game I know would be affected off-hand would be TLoZ, and that was kind of an easter egg.

More than an easter egg, you had to shout to kill the Pols Voice enemy.

For those wondering which exclusives each region gets

NES Classic exclusive: Bubble Bobble, Castlevania 2, Donkey Kong Jr, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Startropics, Tecmo Bowl

Famicom exclusive: Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Atlantis no Nazo, Solomon's Key, Tsuppari Sumo, River City Ransom, Final Fantasy 3, Mario Club Golf, Downtown Street Challenge

Oh boy we get that hot Castlevania 2 exclusive.

And they get River City Ransom fucks sakes

Torokil

Some glaring omissions in that. Notably Mother 1 and Dragon Quest. I would love if NA put in Dragon Warrior 4 in the NES mini but that would only sell the thing to like 5 people, myself included.

Top Bottom