• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom announced in Japan

Seik

Banned
Oh man look at the controller

Ctj7qFwVYAA1Jhb.jpg:large

It looked so attractive until this post.

Fuck it.

Was this the portable console eurogamer was mentioning?! You can see. Y the portable controllers..

Real talk, everyone keeps talking about the NX rumored "detachable controllers" being the main controls popping off, but I've wondered if it could actually mean tiny NES-style pod controllers affixed to the back, possibly even smaller than this.

I'm assuming this UI won't be in english?

I remember stories of my mom playing "family computer" while she was pregnant with me in the Philippines. She would looove this

For those wondering which exclusives each region gets

NES Classic exclusive: Bubble Bobble, Castlevania 2, Donkey Kong Jr, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Startropics, Tecmo Bowl

Famicom exclusive: Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Atlantis no Nazo, Solomon's Key, Tsuppari Sumo, River City Ransom, Final Fantasy 3, Mario Club Golf, Downtown Street Challenge

North America got the better end of this one for sure. Color me surprised.

I'm genuinely shocked to not see Mother or Fire Emblem or even The Lost Levels. The Famicom-exclusive game list is something.

Though I would have traded Castlevania 2 for River City Ransom, too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nintendo (or someone else) needs to make a FDS for it to sit on. It doesn't need to do anything, I just want it to look complete along with a fake RAM adapter.

Aeana

I seriously wonder what caused no Dragon Quest.

DQ games have never been on VC, there's no way they'd put them here.
Aside from the anniversary collection for Wii, the original versions of DQ games have never been re-released. They prefer to re-release the remakes, according to Horii.

DQ games have never been on VC, there's no way they'd put them here.
Aside from the anniversary collection for Wii, the original versions of DQ games have never been re-released. They prefer to re-release the remakes, according to Horii.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I never knew that.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Nintendo is literally trolling at this point, aren't they?

NES Minis being announced left and right and still no NX news???! At this rate we'll get a Wii U Slim redesign before any details about the NX are released.
ZRT8Dib.gif

Psxphile

Weird that Kid Icarus is US exclusive.

Stuff like Startropics and Punch-Out!! I can understand considering they're far more popular in America than in Japan (ST never even came out in Japan lol).

These things are already selling like hotcakes and they aren't even out yet, but Nintendo could have driven up demand in all regions even more by including at least one game that region never got. For example, StarTropics in Japan, Devil World in the U.S. (it's already been localized!) and, I don't know, Crystalis/God Slayer in the UK.

aparisi2274

Did they shrink the freaking controller? They look way tinier than I remember them

They are tiny to match the size of the Famicom Mini.

In Japan, when the OG Famicom was released, the controllers were part of the overall design of the system, so when Nintendo shrunk it down to the mini, they shrunk the controllers too.

The NES did not have this issue, hence the controllers are not for tiny people.

xk0sm0sx

Haha, Atlantis no Nazo is pretty well known in Japan, there's a Game Center CX episode for that game, which showed the game's difficulty.
Even Spelunky is pretty well known.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
They are tiny to match the size of the Famicom Mini.

In Japan, when the OG Famicom was released, the controllers were part of the overall design of the system, so when Nintendo shrunk it down to the mini, they shrunk the controllers too.

The NES did not have this issue, hence the controllers are not for tiny people.
I know the design o_o..I owned one before I switched to the AV famicom.

But that was a few years ago hence my question. Still these controllers look way way too tiny. I mean I understand why they have to do it, to keep the ratio controller-> console..but still ~_~

D.Lo

The small controllers make it better to me. The whole thing is kawaii, not just the box. Why else make it mini otherwise.

They'll be fine to play, GB Micro sized. It's not designed for fat cheeto stained western hands anyway.

Shut up and take my yen.

I haven't imported in awhile; what's a good place that will likely carry this? Is Play Asia still good or is there something better?

GamerJM

Banned
Wish this got a limited US release. I think it's kind of lame how Nintendo pretends like Americans would have no knowledge of the Famicom. The visual design is much better than the NES.

Top Bottom