• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo details how physical games bigger than 32GB will work on Switch

Atheerios

5721413_sd.jpg

"A microSD card will be needed for certain Nintendo Switch games that contain an especially large amount of content and require additional storage for players to enjoy the full experience.
If you purchase a physical version of a game that requires an additional microSD memory card, you will be able to play a portion of the game right out of the box (for example, specific levels or modes). To enjoy the full game, downloading additional data is required. Depending on the storage requirements for each game, it may be necessary to purchase a microSD card to expand storage space. When purchasing a digital version of the game, it may also be necessary to purchase a microSD card depending on the game’s storage requirements and the storage available on the consumer’s Nintendo Switch console."

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/09/01/some-nintendo-switch-games-will-require-memory-cards

Edit: looks like on this specific case, the game is not bigger than 32 GB. They just decided to use a lower capacity cartridge to save costs.

NimbusD

Is it too much to make cards larger than 32gigs? That's crazy. Why not just have all cards have nothing and require downloads if they don't consider it to be a problem.

NotLiquid

Makes sense

But even though putting a notification on the box art is smart, the way it looks in that image is... garish

Neoxon

Hopefully Nintendo offers larger cartridge sizes to developers in the future, 'cause this doesn't seem like the best solution. I understand the situation, but it still seems like a weird work-around.

Does this mean if a game is bigger than 32gb the developer has to create two versions of the game, one with locked out content and one with the extra content unlocked? Hopefully this doesn't put developers off.

Reminds me of Perfect Dark with and without the expansion pak.

Neoxon

Agreed. It's just a matter of time as this will continue to be an issue.
I'd imagine that Nintendo will try to get a 64GB cartridge made available to developers in the future to alleviate the issue, or at least I hope they do.

jacobeid

Banned
I'd imagine that Nintendo will try to get a 64GB cartridge made available to developers in the future to alleviate the issue, or at least I hope they do.

You and me both. The workaround is relatively cheap, but it's just one more weird thing for developers/publishers to deal with.

Neoxon

You and me both. The workaround is relatively cheap, but it's just one more weird thing for developers/publishers to deal with.
Yeah, though I could see the higher cost of the theoretical 64GB cartridge (if it ever becomes a reality) being an issue for third party developers & publishers.

Neoxon

Shouldn't happen. By the time a first party game needs more than 32 GB (which I honestly don't think will ever occur) 64 GB carts should be available.
Good point. But as you said, I doubt that Nintendo themselves will go past 32GB anytime soon.

Preble

So I'm still confused on the NBA 2K18 situation. Will the physical cart coming in October still need me to buy another SD card to play the full game?

EhoaVash

So I'm still confused on the NBA 2K18 situation. Will the physical cart coming in October still need me to buy another SD card to play the full game?

Yes. You'll need a microSD card to play the full game. What's not to understand.

Anyway another win for the Full digital crowd woop woop.

I mean loss for consumers

Neoxon

Correct, the full game takes up more space than the 32GB cartridge (the current maximum capacity for a physical Switch cartridge) allows.

wrowa

Is it too much to make cards larger than 32gigs? That's crazy. Why not just have all cards have nothing and require downloads if they don't consider it to be a problem.

They consider it a problem, but they currently have no other solution since 64GB cards would likely still be too expensive at this point. A 10GB download is regardless still easier managable than a 40GB download, so cards still have worth even if they don't include the entire game.

Lylo

These cards are very expensive, the next bigger card probably would be a 64GB one. Having nothing on the card and forcing people to download the entire game on their SD cards would make everyone even more upset.

Top Bottom