• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo details how physical games bigger than 32GB will work on Switch

Mike Golf

Whatyearisit!.gif

I find it really funny that all the complaints leveled against Nintendo here are the same issues we've faced for about 8 years on the PS/360 and PS4/Xone. Nearly no game comes complete today and it was a mixed bag until this current standard since around 08' or 09'.

I'm not saying don't be upset about it, it was nice that games on Nintendo consoles were more or less the last hold out from this current trend and it's likely their own games will continue to hold out from being incomplete on release with huge day one patches finishing the job.

What I am saying is the rhetoric of "why even buy physical when the whole game isn't on the cart?" has applied to almost every game for years and the same benefits the other systems have are present here as well; you can still resell the game when you don't want it any more, you're saving space from not having to download the entire game onto the internal storage or an SD card (this actually isn't even a benefit on the PS4/Xone as all games install), and you can get the game potentially much cheaper buying it from elsewhere than Nintendo's eshop when going physical.

Here's hoping a physical solution comes through in the future, but I think a decent solution right now would be any online components of a game could be relegated to a download since you will have to have internet connectivity anyway to enjoy it. I know it's not ideal, but depending on how much space that data takes up it could be worth it.

StereoVsn

I think at the end 32GB carts are just too expensive right now and 2K probably wouldn't want to lose extra $3-4 (or more) per each copy sold. Nintendo is not going to reimburse them since that would cut into their profit.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Some people will probably have their hands in the physical release within a week. I'm sure this is another Lego City.

Kureransu

Not really. The download packs were just to make loading times smaller, they were completely optional.
They were but if you bought the game digitally, you got them right off. They even said it couldn't fit on the disc so they made it an additional install. Also, sorry for the delayed reply, just got back to computer.

i dont want to have to be required to be online to just activate my games for playability, its still in that trajectory
so you'd rather they included a second install cart?

Shiggy

About a month ago, via an updated release calendar that Take Two put out after their earnings statement. The actual physical release is coming a bit later.

Yeah, but only on Switch. And as far as I see there's no announcement of a code in a box, just eShop and retailers with digital codes (but not in a box).

Have you tried to order the game on Amazon?

You can literally only order the digital code.

The game is getting a disc release at launch on PS4 and X1. PC is getting a code in a box edition at launch (that's pretty much standard). Switch is getting a card Edition in October, with the game launching first on eShop only (with retailers that sell eShop codes also selling codes for this game). There's no announcement that there will be a 'code in a box' edition and no retailers list such a version.

AzaK

And there goes the reason to buy those games on cartridges.

Certainly one of them but for me there's still two bigger reasons.

1) Price. I buy physical games 30% cheaper than digital versions.
2) Resale - I can sell my games if I don't want them and often get 30-50% of the retail price back.

I would like to go digital but it just doesn't make financial sense in any way.

Back to the subject though, this is a rubbish move...and also WTF is a basketball game so huge?

Clauss

IMO this doesn't seem like a huge deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't physical copies of games on the ps4/xbone do this? Pretty much all physical PS4 games that I've bought in the last few years require an immediate download. I suppose the internal hard drive covers this, where in the Switch's case an additional purchase would be required. I bought a 128GB SD card day one for my Switch so this is essentially a non-issue for me. However, I can see why some folks would be mad that it's pretty much a requirement to pay for additional storage to play certain games. /shrugs/

jabuseika

They always fuck it up somehow.

IMO this doesn't seem like a huge deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't physical copies of games on the ps4/xbone do this? Pretty much all physical PS4 games that I've bought in the last few years require an immediate download. I suppose the internal hard drive covers this, where in the Switch's case an additional purchase would be required. I bought a 128GB SD card day one for my Switch so this is essentially a non-issue for me. However, I can see why some folks would be mad that it's pretty much a requirement to pay for additional storage to play certain games. /shrugs/

All the PS4 games you have can be played offline, and long after they shut down their servers.

It's not the same when the game you buy is incomplete on the cart.

Joe T.

Back to the subject though, this is a rubbish move...and also WTF is a basketball game so huge?

NBA 2K17 was 48GB on PS4. Multiplatform games aren't typically good examples of efficient code and chances are that it's using higher resolution textures than most/all other Switch games released to date. You can't really compare it to a game like Breath of the Wild where the art style is conducive to smaller file sizes.

Clauss

All the PS4 games you have can be played offline, and long after they shut down their servers.

Even if the rest of the game is downloaded onto my system? How would this differ from playing a digital game offline? The way I am understanding this is that the game would be running hybrid cart/digital.

Fiendcode

NBA 2K18 and RE Revelations Collection will also be playable offline without downloading their updates though. Not the complete release but they're still playable.

Gamezone

Gold Member

No, they don't require immediate updates to play the entire base game offline. Just install the game offline and play. No worries.

If a game is released incomplete with missing levels, that's totally different, and haven't been done before.

Fredrik

I get that some of your are fine with digital purchases but what about the "Why on earth would I live there?" regions of the world? I thought we had already made clear that it's a bad idea to have a requirement to have an internet connection

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wouldn`t even trust my investments on consoles to be safe when they rely on online servers, especially not an sports game.

This kinda sucks but atleast SD cards are fairly cheap. I could get a 64GB SD card for 20 bucks that is way better than what the Vita did.

That's not necessarily true. There's a fair number of PS4 games that require Day 0 patches.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

It's a huge deal, and essentially a very big issue, for the people actually making the games.

PS4 and X1 don't come with only 32gb of storage.

I know you're going to say, "but you can just buy a SD card". PS4 and X1 have expandable storage too, and you wouldn't think it's OK for a game to require that you buy an external drive to even play it on those.

Linkura

I believe the largest is Xenoblade Chronicles with 3.68GB, followed by Bravely Default with 3.24GB. Resident Evil was just 3.15GB.

4GB is also the largest size that is available.

How in the name of Christ did they fit XBC in just 3.68GB, I'll never know. I reaffirm my belief that Monolithsoft are a bunch of goddamn technical wizards.

Edit: Ok, someone else did the port, but still. I guess Monster Games are also wizards.

StereoVsn

"Fuck you got mine"
Nintendo got to be blamed for that with going with this sort of a solution. Not that they had a much better option for a Hybrid. It's a simple cost issue of the larger carts.

2K would be getting literally less money with 32GB carts vs going with 16GB carts. It's quite probable that the difference isn't insubstantial so could be looking at a few $ for this one.

At the end Publishers would like to make a profit. If 2K came out with a $69.99 game but a 32GB cart then everyone would be screaming bloody murder.

How in the name of Christ did they fit XBC in just 3.68GB, I'll never know. I reaffirm my belief that Monolithsoft are a bunch of goddamn technical wizards.

Edit: Ok, someone else did the port, but still. I guess Monster Games are also wizards.

It's only 6.5 gigs at full size dude. With the tiny textures and lower poly models it's not really that surprising.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Games didn`t look that much different last generation, and they could fit pretty much everything on one DVD. Now this has become a problem...

Oh geez, yeah that 8gb wasn't getting you anywhere. I had the 32GB model so I was well off and even had a couple digital Wii U games along with dlc and VC. I had a spare external HDD, but the Wii U was too weak to power it.

I thought I would be fine with a "basic" because I didn't realize a single game would download over 1GB of content (smash bros) or that the OS would take up something like half of that. Had I known, I might have bough a pro ... but if I recall, I only bought the console because I had roughly 200 USD in credit at a certain location for signing up for an internet plan there and the pro wasn't available. I only own 7 Wii U games.

The HDD I bought advertised compatibility with the Wii U.

VC games take up jack all space, and only ONE Wii U game requires an installation, BoTW, and it only needs 3GB.

They can take up 50-100 MB, which adds up. I'm pretty sure both Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 downloaded hefty updates. 3GB is a hell of a lot of space with the basic model.

shiyrley

Banned

?
Original game was 6.5 GB. They removed the japanese audio, made the textures and models worse, compressed better the game with newer tech I guess, and that's it

EmiPrime

The 8GB model of the Wii U was fine. The money you saved buying it instead of the 32GB was about enough to buy a 500GB HDD.

Same with the Switch, if there was a hypothetical 64GB (or even 128GB) model you'd be daft buying that instead of the 32GB model and a much larger micro SD card. 32GB is fine for the Switch.

Top Bottom