• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct coming November 12 [Over]

I already can. I posted in tej NX speculation threads that Retro, 3D Mario, Zelda and Pikmin 4 will all be done holiday 2016 to Q1 2017 so it's highly possible those could come out during the launch window of the NX.

It's going to be incredible. Historically, Retro's and EAD Tokyo's projects have lined up fairly closely (Prime 3 and SMG, DKCR and SMG2, 3D Land and MK7, 3D World and Tropical Freeze), which is incredible enough as it is. Add Zelda and Pikmin to that mix and you have a stronger launch window than ever before.

They were initially considering doing a Majora's Mask esque sequel to Twilight Princess (quickly made sequel consisting largely of reused assets) but ultimately decided on doing Crossbow Training instead, and, in hindsight, they absolutely should have done the TP sequel instead of Skyward Sword. Get something out and strike while the iron was still hot instead of taking a million years and releasing it after everyone stopped buying Wii games. Save the next "big" Zelda for their next system instead of trying to release a "big" Zelda late in a console's life.

The only thing that sucks about skyward swords sales is we have no idea how it would have done had it not required motion plus. I think it would have sold better had it not been a requirement and also support the pro controller.

Don't know if this means anything, probably not because it's Wii Sports, but Wii Sport Resort sold 7.57 million units in September 2009 and it was released on June/July of that same year, and that required Motion Plus. And it's currently the third highest selling Wii game behind Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii.

NeonZ

I'm pretty sure Skyward Sword sold something like 3.67 million, which is pathetically low for an install base as huge as the Wii.

It barely outsold Majora's Mask, which also required special hardware and was available on a console that sold less than a third of the Wii.

Motion Plus means that Skyward Sword didn't really have the entire Wii userbase though. Do we even know the Wii Motion Plus userbase?

Either way though, in the end, heavy motion controls proved to make the game more complex and less accessible, rather than the other way around, so I think even without that they'd have problems if the game still went in the same direction.

Anth0ny

They were initially considering doing a Majora's Mask esque sequel to Twilight Princess (quickly made sequel consisting largely of reused assets) but ultimately decided on doing Crossbow Training instead, and, in hindsight, they absolutely should have done the TP sequel instead of Skyward Sword. Get something out and strike while the iron was still hot instead of taking a million years and releasing it after everyone stopped buying Wii games. Save the next "big" Zelda for their next system instead of trying to release a "big" Zelda late in a console's life.

Amazing how poorly they handled some of their stuff during the Wii era. Majora's Mask dropped 2 years after OOT. Imagine a TP2 in 2008? fuuuuuuuuuck

Motion Plus means that Skyward Sword didn't really have the entire Wii userbase though. Do we even know the Wii Motion Plus userbase?

Either way though, in the end, heavy motion controls proved to make the game more complex and less accessible, rather than the other way around, so I think even without that they'd have problems if the game still went in the same direction.

Expansion Pak meant Majora's Mask didn't have the entire N64 userbase, yet it still managed to sell 3 million+ on a 30 million install base.

the bigger problem is that the Wii was dead as fuck by the time skyward sword launched. people had no problem buying a big ass wii fit balance board in 2008 when wii ruled the world.

Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel. They might as well not add anyone else if those are the sad choices left.

they are absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. once you reach 50+ characters on a roster you have to start getting a bit obscure.

though I wouldn't really consider the main villain of donkey kong's biggest games scraping the bottom of the barrel

georly

Every new console zelda should just be 2 zeldas. Do the oot/MM formula with every single one. 4-5 + 2-3 so we get a zelda on average every 3-4 years instead of every 5. Also forces them to be creative ("how can we reuse the engine and assets to make a new experience") for the second one. Not to mention I'm sure a lot of concepts/ideas hit the cutting room foor, so it'd be nice to see those.

ffdgh

...Damn it all I would have loved a majora's mask based sequel for TP.

Don't know if this means anything, probably not because it's Wii Sports, but Wii Sport Resort sold 7.57 million units in September 2009 and it was released on June/July of that same year, and that required Motion Plus. And it's currently the third highest selling Wii game behind Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii.

Wii sports resort also came with a motion plus accessory in the box where as not every copy of skyward sword came with the gold wiimote. Plus Wii Sports resort eventually became a system bundled game which included the required controller to play it.

Motion Plus means that Skyward Sword didn't really have the entire Wii userbase though. Do we even know the Wii Motion Plus userbase?.

Wii motion plus had over a 20 million+ install base the last time we got numbers for it.

Rodolink

I'm pretty sure Skyward Sword sold something like 3.67 million, which is pathetically low for an install base as huge as the Wii.

It barely outsold Majora's Mask, which also required special hardware and was available on a console that sold less than a third of the Wii.

Of course not, they sold like 8M those numbers are just for NA Wii, and for a game like that 1M at least is a good number, for other games up to 250k are good numbers

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Of course not, they sold like 8M those numbers are just for NA Wii, and for a game like that 1M at least is a good number, for other games up to 250k are good numbers

No, the 3.67 million number is accurate.

DUqi4U0.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

MAtgS

The good thing about scraping the bottom of the barrel is they'll have no choice but to finally include Captain N
as a mii gunner costume

jwj442

Amazing how poorly they handled some of their stuff during the Wii era. Majora's Mask dropped 2 years after OOT. Imagine a TP2 in 2008? fuuuuuuuuuck
Reusing assets for a quicker sequel gave us Majora's Mask, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Captain Toad, Pikmin 2, and Baten Kaitos Origins*, and to a lesser degree Metroid Prime 2. And plenty of other games outside of Nintendo have done it successfully, of course. Nintendo should really do it more, within reason. Hopefully they will with NX.

* No, it's not actually a Nintendo-developed game - but it was published by them and developed by Monolith at a time when they hadn't merged yet but were becoming closer with Nintendo. Plus it got a song in Smash.

ReyVGM

My Zelda hopes/prediction is that if they announce Twilight Princess HD, then they won't show anything about Zelda U, but they will mention something along 'it's coming along nicely'.

If they don't announce Twilight Princess HD, then they will show Zelda U (they did say a few months ago that they had a trailer and that they could show something before the year-end). They may very well not really show a trailer, but I'm positive new screenshots will be released.
I'm actually leaning towards screenshots, because I expect them to save new Zelda footage for the NX announcement.

Azuran

Banned
they are absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. once you reach 50+ characters on a roster you have to start getting a bit obscure.

though I wouldn't really consider the main villain of donkey kong's biggest games scraping the bottom of the barrel

K Rool hasn't appeared in a main game since DK64. That's almost two decades since he was relevant. People putting him on the same level as someone like Bowser or Ganondorf are crazy. He's no different from someone like Takamaru at this point.

A Mii costume is all he should get at this point.

ReyVGM

If we get a character reveal tomorrow (I don't see it happening) and it's Rool, the salt will be in high abundance here lol

I want an original character:

A robot that transforms into different Nintendo consoles, such as the Virtual Boy or a Gamecube.

21XX

Banned
K Rool hasn't appeared in a main game since DK64. That's almost two decades since he was relevant. People putting him on the same level as someone like Bowser or Ganondorf are crazy. He's no different from someone like Takamaru at this point.

What? K. Rool was the villain of a game that was a capital T Thing back in the SNES days. Takamaru didn't even make it to the U.S. and was obscure pretty much right out of the gate. Regardless of opinions on his design and all, he definitely is big enough to be in the roster.

El Odio

Banned
Shit, just noticed it's 2pm pacific time in the OP and not central. Guess I'll be able to make it to class then run back to my room afterwards to catch the start of the stream.

tauroxd

I still can't believe the numbers from Mario Kart Wii U... And for some reason I thought Super Mario Galaxy 2 was beyond 8 millions; well, 20 million between the two SMG games is not bad.

Skyward Sword numbers makes me cry, and with the numbers from Twilight Princess I can see why they would do and HD remaster, it will probably get around 500K sales. 5% of attach rate seems possible.

I've already played through TP 2 times and started a third time but I drop it, don't remember where, but I will probably be a dumn sucker and but this HD version. I WANT A 3D ZELDA FOR MY WII U!

If Zelda U was releasing just on Wii U I could see it outselling Skyward Sword. Wii U games attatch rates are ridiculous for the install base. I thought I read somewhere Bayo 2 is like 200,000 away from a million..?

What? K. Rool was the villain of a game that was a capital T Thing back in the SNES days. Takamaru didn't even make it to the U.S. and was obscure pretty much right out of the gate. Regardless of opinions on his design and all, he definitely is big enough to be in the roster.

I'd say he's big enough, but hopefully not too big, I don't want him to end up like Ridley.

I would've thought that Pokemon Battle Revolution sold more than that, being a Pokemon game on the Wii alone. I know it severely lacking in content but it's not like most people would have cared since it's Pokemon in 3D.

edit: By most people, I'm referring to casuals who wouldn't be in the know as much.

Mithos

We didn't. I don't buy it. Brian kinda does. But we probably should have mentioned it.

You don't buy it?

I mean are you saying that Nintendo accidentally uploaded a TPHD icon to eShop, and accidentally uploaded some software named Twilight Princess HD to eShop too.

What is it you do not buy?

That it will be shown in the Direct or that it exists?

Azure J

Why you gotta hit below the belt like that man... :(

TheJoRu

We didn't. I don't buy it. Brian kinda does. But we probably should have mentioned it.

The evidence is quite overwhelming in favor of it. Though if one would've predicted Nintendo would make a TP HD without anything to back it up I would've said "no way in hell!". On paper it feels overly ambitious for a remaster by Nintendo; the original textures and models don't look all that good in HD in my opinion.

AdanVC

Yeah I'm honestly thinking that TPHD is nothing but a non-existent illusion of some sort. Those sources about the TP icon found on the eshop could be legit but it will be nothing but the damn Wii version available for download on the eshop and that's it. I would love if TPHD is real but this is Nintendo and they never do anything for the fans...

Top Bottom