• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct E3 2013 Presentation

jonno394

People seems to forget we have 4 other nintendo directs over the next day. I can't imagine the Wii U Software one later will just be a rehash of the stuff we've just seen.

There'll be one or two surprises.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well I was disappointed because they didn't show anything that "sells" the future of the system going forward. The launch window stuff got pushed back into late 2013, stuff that should have been ready for this Holiday like Smash Bros are in 2014...like what exactly have they been doing? Wii support dried up a long time before 2012.

I didn't expect a price drop or anything. It's just worrisome that they decide to not have a Press Conference and then have such an underwhelming Direct.

X and Wind Waker HD are nice, at least.

Alrix

was expecting a single player Mario game (64/Sunshine/Galaxy), not 3d world. 3d world looks fun, but its not what I was hoping for. disappointing.

nintendo needed to drop bombs at this e3 and all they dropped was a new DKC (no matter how good it looked it's a disappointment because everyone was expecting big things from retro) and mega man in smash.

6/10, sony wins

Banned
No surprises. No new IP's. Retro wasting their talents on DK when they already did one. No price drop. Iwata is losin his job in Q1 2014 when Nintendo doesn't get it's target profit like he promised

george_us

Looks like I won't be getting a Wii U until late 2014.

Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart look pretty hot but that's it as far as 2013 goes. 2014 has X, Bayonetta 2, and Smash.

Teknoman

Super Mario 3D World: Should look better once we get direct feed trailers, but seems pretty fun. They finally went back to Dino Island, so thats cool. Also using 2D art for the player icons and SMB2 moves is nice. Does seem a little safe so far.

Mario Kart 8 looks like someone mixed a little F-zero in, and looks great graphically so i'm fine there.

SSB with Megaman made me really hyped for that, but I wished they showed more...unless my stream broke.

Wind Waker HD looks like your average HD remake, so no real complaints.

DKCR2...really wished Retro went with something totally new, but we'll see.

X looks amazing.

I missed most of Bayonetta 2.

I really hope they have more to show later videos today or this week, because no truly new unexpected stuff was really underwhelming, not to mention EVERYTHING hitting in 2014 aside from a few titles.

Why didnt they at least show some new Sonic Lost World stuff? Even Yakuza HD collection would have been nice.

No surprises. No new IP's. Retro wasting their talents on DK when they already did one. No price drop. Iwata is losin his job in Q1 2014 when Nintendo doesn't get it's target profit like he promised
About time, Iwata's fucking DONE son.
Okay stuff, I guess. I facepalmed about 3 times:
-Talking about Pokemon
-Wii Party U
-3rd party showcase lololol

Other than that I was pretty shocked at how good MK 8 looked, and amazed by how sexy Link was in SSB Wii U

Grinchy

Banned
Well, Mario Kart looked pretty awesome. Everything else made it pretty obvious that Nintendo made the right decision not to have a conference.

Kenka

Will need to watch this again with a full stream, but here's my thoughts:

Excited for DKC: TF. Think it looks glorious.
Mario Kart 8 looks great
Super Mario 3d World looks fun (but not epic)
Smash Bros
I'd say Zelda, but I almost missed it all in the stream

However, I saw none of those games utilize the gamepad and, while I don't regret getting my Wii U, it does make me worried that Nintendo's creativity may be shrinking.

I find all of these games to be comfortable and will enjoy them a lot, but I'd like something a bit fresh. It certainly does make me worry for the future of the Wii U.
I do agree about the fact that DKC looks gorgeous and even fun, and I don't think anyone can pronounce onself of Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros yet. But For what I saw, they all look pretty similar to the predecessors. That is not what I wanted.

Zelda is receiving the Lightning treatment.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Can we all agree that WiiU is fucked now.

Not really. Wii Fit U and Mario 3D World will be the holiday games. They won't set the world on fire but they will surely do quite well. If Mario Kart comes in early 2014 they might have a chance of resuscitating the machine.

From now until the end of 2013 there is:

Game and Wario
Wii Party U
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U
Mario 3D World

That's decent IMO. The trouble is that we have had to wait from November 2012 to August 2013 for the titles to start coming.

ampere

Wind Waker HD looks fantastic.

Super Mario 3D World looks great, but I can shake some disappointment that it wasn't something more mindblowing than Mario Galaxy. I do enjoy Super Mario 3D Land so I'm sure I'll have fun with World.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Ended up watching a mix of Japan and Europe's Directs since that was all I could find.

Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and the new Donkey Kong look fucking awesome. Super Mario World 3d World looks like shit though. I love 3d land, as a portable experience. Honestly I expect more from a console version. Glad to see some Mario 2 dynamics back though. Smash looked pretty good, for sure.

Fucking Donkey Kong knocked my socks off though.
Those lovably inept fucking idiots need to pull their heads out of their asses and cut that price or Sony is just gonna have them relax and wait for it to be over.

Seriously What was that? Does Nintendo not realize they're gonna be the only one supporting this console. That's all they had for the rest of the year? I'm just shocked that that's all they had to show after all this time. What the hell are their developers doing?

Say what you want about all the conferences that happened yesterday, yeah they were mostly shooters but at least all four of them had some surprises and New IPs. Have they just given up? and I don't think I saw COD in that paltry 3rd party highlight. I wasn't expecting that much but they seriously dug deep and found a way to shit the bed. Megaman was cool though and I can't help but be sad that Retro is just working on Donkey Kong. No wonder most of the talent at the studio keeps leaving.

Did anybody also hate how Iwata had to explain to us what we just saw after every video? Yes, we know exactly what we just saw and what characters were in it. It was just painful to watch. Oh really, were Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach in the new Mario 3D World? I just couldn't tell from that copious amount of footage that showed them jumping around together. :/ After this E3, I'm feel more alienated from Nintendo than I ever have. It's killing me.

Akainu

fgj0FJx.jpg

Close. :(

I watched the JP stream since the US one wasn't working. Did I miss anything?

eminem?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I was desperately hoping for something NEW. The feels of seeing Galaxy or Skyward Sword for the first time.

Heck I'd of taken a CG trailer just to tease some of the new gameplay they are planning with the Gamepad and new Mario/Zelda.

I... I really am starting to feel like Nintendo is going to become irrelevant in the console space in the coming years.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Saddest thing is Retro making DOnkey Kong.

No metroid
Lack of new IPs
Mario 3d looks like 3D Mario Land
Stream was shit

Considering the circumstances this was even worse than last year. 3 straight shitty years. Iwata needs to go!

I'll buy pretty much all of those games when they release (I still have ot buy a Wii U, so that'll probably be for Mario later this year).
But man, Nintendo needed to come out with a huge surprise. People have been asking for basically a new mascot franchise that can stand alongside Mario, Zelda and Metroid for years. Nintendo REALLY needed to announce THAT this year.

Otherwise it was all just sort of standard Nintendo fare. Which, mind you, will be among the best games released during 2013 and 2014... but at this point, none of those are going to get people chattering about the Wii U.

L Thammy

I can't say I was totally disappointed. The Wonderful 101 looks so much better than it did originally, and I was excited for that from the start. I like Bayonetta's new look despite hating her old one. The new Smash looks pretty solid.

But this is definitely too little too late for the system. Donkey Kong is the worst of it; they've just delivered one of those on 3DS, and it's a waste of a developer who can do something different. Mario 3D World feels like it's selling itself short. They could have made a new 3D Mario with new mechanics without using the old style and name.

Suirrad

GAF jus came back for me. I'd like to say this direct was a laggy mess. Like for real man. It skipped so much I missed a lot of gameplay. The games were cool, but most we knew. I did see the B2 or X gameplay so I can't comment on those. 3D Mario was meh imo though I'm glad you can play with Luigi. MK8 looks pretty cool. Smash was probably the best highlight for me.

mooseman

When they showed the Animal Crossing village at the end, I have to admit I was kind of excited for a Wii U Animal Crossing (love New Leaf) and then it turned to crap. I'm not sure what they were thinking with this direct.

bndadm

I do agree about the fact that DKC looks gorgeous and even fun, and I don't think anyone can pronounce onself of Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros yet. But For what I saw, they all look pretty similar to the predecessors. That is not what I wanted.

Zelda is receiving the Lightning treatment.

Understandable. I think of all these as comfort foods. I am definately not happy they settled on 3d World. I was expecting something cool like tablet to TV gameplay or fantastic designs. At least LOOK sparkling like Galaxy 1 & 2 did.

By that regard DKC:TF had more platforming fun and lush scenary and filled that platforming need.

Wow. I thought this was a solid Direct, and I'm planning on picking up a WiiU sometime this week. Judging by this thread though, it seems I can fetch a better deal buying one off of one of the disappointed posters in this thread.

If you really are done with Nintendo, PM me with info and we can work something out.

Teknoman

The wonderful 101 looks cool as does Pikmin 3, but yeah...they really need a more complete lineup or something no one knew about.

J-Rock

Banned
People seems to forget we have 4 other nintendo directs over the next day. I can't imagine the Wii U Software one later will just be a rehash of the stuff we've just seen.

There'll be one or two surprises.

Shit you're probably right! Maybe some 2015 games! :D

Arzehn

40 minute Direct for E3, no surprises, games delayed. Went worse than expected.

Edit:Double post :S *shakes fist at gaf servers*

Kabuto

nintendovqcya.gif

I just watched the first ten minutes on Youtube again since it wasn't working for me in the stream; Super Mario 3D Land and the Pokemon games look like they will be amazing, I'm not going to lie, but I don't know how long Nintendo can keep relying on the Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Zelda yearly formula. Hopefully next Nintendo Direct they will announce something out of the ordinary.

From now until the end of 2013 there is:

Wii Party U - October
Wind Waker HD (October)
Mario 3D World(December)

There is no reason to play my Wii U until October. If I didn't already own one, I could easily wait until Spring 2014 to buy one, because 2013 looks like they are going to let X1/PS4 dominate then try to sneak attack them another year.

On the plus side, I didnt plan on buying Wii Party U until this direct. 80+ minigames sounds sweet!

L Thammy

From what I saw, there were a million users in the US stream and 200K in the JP stream. No idea about EU, but add it all together. Nintendo had the people's ear but they spoke too quietly.

rahuljx

The conference was so lacklustre. If it wasnt for X and B2 it would have been an utter failure. Nintendo for me have reached a stage that even when they announce a "new" Mario or Kart it feels old. Sure cater to your base, but atleast give us some ambitious, epic type experiences. Have they forgotten how to do that?

demidar

I will say I think the new 3D Mario looks pretty good, but I can see why someone expecting a Galaxy followup would be disappointed.

But hey, Peach is a playable character now!

3rd year, 3rd fuck up.

Fire Iwata now. No more excuses, this was terrible and the WiiU is as good as dead. Even giving order to EAD Tokyo to rush out this Mario Party lookalike as the next mainline Mario? fuck...

BoSox06DH

I'm mainly disappointed because the damn stream was laggy like nobody's business. I truly felt that Retro was working on a new IP. Super Mario 3D World is probably fun, but I expected something like Galaxy. Nintendo has not moved me to pick up a Wii U this year as of right now.

Kabuto

Wow new GAF user record is happening right now: 28188+ users and guests are here right now. No wonder the site is so slow.

Top Bottom