• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct E3 2013 Presentation

Van Owen

Banned
Geoff eviscerated Reggie on the post conference interview.

Reggie is all like WELL LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Really makes me feel confident about my purchase.

I was hoping to get a surprise in the Direct. And I did. Never in a million years did I think that EAD Tokyo's next 3D Mario platformer would disappoint me. Surprise!

And even the way Iwata announced Mario 3D World. "Our newest in the line of 3D Mario action titles". Something to that effect. Like they want it to be the next sterile Mario series like NSMB that they can just crank out.

So safe, so formulaic. None of the experimentation and innovation that marked 64, Galaxy, and even Sunshine.

Even the fact that they went with something that has more of a 2D style feels like this was meant to appeal to the broadest possible base. Everything about this direction feels cynical.

Nekofrog

Banned
The worst part of all this is the fact that Nintendo used to be a fucking creative POWERHOUSE.

Now they're nothing. They're shit. Incompetence to the highest level of its decision making staff. Fucking get Iwata the fuck out NOW. Everything a rehash. Everything a sequel. Not one fucking ounce of creativity left at this company. My Wii U has been off since at LEAST January (probably December), and there is not one single goddamn reason to turn it on for the rest of 2013.

Copenap

On the one hand I can understand the disappointment, on the other hand I'm looking forward to all these games they showed today :/

Yawnier

Banned
Any of you guys see Geoff Keighley's interview with Reggie earlier, cause damn he asked some hard hitting questions just like last year.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
The worst part of all this is the fact that Nintendo used to be a fucking creative POWERHOUSE.

Now they're nothing. They're shit. Incompetence to the highest level of its decision making staff. Fucking get Iwata the fuck out NOW. Everything a rehash. Everything a sequel. Not one fucking ounce of creativity left at this company. My Wii U has been off since at LEAST January (probably December), and there is not one single goddamn reason to turn it on for the rest of 2013.

Just wow... are you actually thinking about what you're saying? I can understand disappointment, but there is a lot of creativity in these games. More so than a lot of what other companies are showing, that's for sure. :\

With that said, does anyone know what's going on with the Wii U software showcase that's apparently going on right now?

I only have one disappointment: NO MOTHERSHIP, NEW MARIO

Mario 3D World looks like a sequel to 3D Land. I'm sure it'll be fun, but can you guys seriously say it gave you the same feeling of a fresh, new Mario that you got when looking at trailers for Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy?

We're getting spin-off Mario games which is great, but not if we're not gonna have a proper follow-up to mothership Mario games.

Watching the Direct at my leisure without any stuttering problems, the games do look nice and they do look like they'll be fun. But yeah, the 3D World thing is a disappointment. This pushes the possibility of another groundbreaking Mario game several years into the future, at a minimum.

DaBoss

Mario 3D World looks like a sequel to 3D Land. I'm sure it'll be fun, but can you guys seriously say it gave you the same feeling of a fresh, new Mario that you got when looking at trailers for Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy?

We're getting spin-off Mario games which is great, but not if we're not gonna have a proper follow-up to mothership Mario games.

lol @ this attitude. Is this because 3D Land debuted on a handheld? It is using the similar style of gameplay as 3D Land and expanding upon it.

Let me categorize it for you:

SM64/SMS, SMG/SMG2, SM3DLand/SM3DWorld

I'm even more afraid that they consider this a mainline mothership 3D Mario game. I don't even know anymore.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
more like, 'hd development is super hard holy shit let's just take this 3d land game and make it a console game.'

they were hinting at this thing when they said they were building a studio to better share assets. mario kart 8 looks way different from mario kart 7 and that's about the only major change going on, it seems.

dkctf also seems to fit the bill of 'shit, this is a lot more difficult than expected'

Yeah, this too. I think it's a combination of that and safe development though. 3D Land was a boon for the 3DS. They wanted to make multiplayer 3D Mario next. Safest course of action is to make a direct follow-up for consoles.

EDIT: Super Mario 3D World is clearly the big Wii U specific 3D Mario. This is the direction they've chosen.

Nekofrog

Banned
Just wow... are you actually thinking about what you're saying? I can understand disappointment, but there is a lot of creativity in these games. More so than a lot of what other companies are showing, that's for sure. :

With that said, does anyone know what's going on with the Wii U software showcase that's apparently going on right now?

I Dont Care What The Other Guys Are Or Arent Doing. I Care About What Nintendo Is Not.doing, Which Is Making New And Exciting Games. Not.only Are They So Frightened.To DoAnything Other Than Push Mario Out Onto Qnything And Everything, But They.Also.Think Its Going To Solve All Of Their Problems. This Isnt Even A Minimal Effort From Them, Its Below.That.

My Phone Did Weird.Things To.This post

Don't worry guys. The reason why this was so disappointing was because Retro's true super-hardcore-make-PS4/Xboners-cry game was pulled at the very last minute because it wasn't quite ready.

/false hope

Any of you guys see Geoff Keighley's interview with Reggie earlier, cause damn he asked some hard hitting questions just like last year.

Dude was an asshole. I felt like he was someone that doesnt give a shit about the Wii U but gets to ask questions to Nintendo about the system

Yeah, this too. I think it's a combination of that and safe development though. 3D Land was a boon for the 3DS. They wanted to make multiplayer 3D Mario next. Safest course of action is to make a direct follow-up for consoles.

EDIT: Super Mario 3D World is clearly the big Wii U specific 3D Mario. This is the direction they've chosen.

It could very well be posed as a successful title this holiday season. How many "disappointing" titles are talked about on GAF that sell millions of copies anyway? We're a select opinion. 3D Land's success on 3DS is a good sign, that's one positive to take out of this.

I don't get this argument? Nintendo has the most franchise/mascots of all video game companies. Look at Smash Bros v PS All Stars. AS is a bunch of B-rated characters. Nintendo is all Nintendo characters and a random partnership(Snake, MegaMan etc)

Just innovate with the games, no need for a new mascot, they have like 20 already.

You agree with that, and I agree with it too, to be perfectly honest.
But the general public and media doesn't. They want something new to speculate on. The media wants something new because it's easier to talk about than gameplay innovations. Mario Galaxy was one of the most innovative games of ANY generation, but there isn't much to say about it without getting into minutiae that's only interesting the the deepest members of the core.
New franchises are good in part because it gets people talking about them. That (hopefully) translates to hype which (hopefully) translates to sales.

Every single game Nintendo announced today is a Day 1 buy for me. These are the games I've been waiting to see before I buy a Wii U. But... there's nothing to really TALK about, save the fact that Mega Man is in Smash.

The one game we COULD be talking about, X, we still know NOTHING about. No story, no gameplay details, no characters... nothing.

It's got 4 player co-op, Peach and seems to be set in the classic Mushroom Kingdom. That's all pretty new stuff.

demidar

Wii U has cemented itself as a complement console. A price drop would help with that view, I'm not sure they have enough games to stand out by themselves.

After watching all the developer walktroghs i feel quite compelled about their showing at e3. Was really disappointed at first but now i am even excited for 3D Worlds. It just looks awesome in the longer Videos.

Watch them!

trixx

I don't even know what to say. First party titles aside there is barely any third party support for Nintendo, majority of the titles are being released in 2014.

I learned my lesson I'm never buying a console at launch again especially from nintendo

Gambit

Nintendo is trying to sell its console with titles you wish were on a handheld.

Nintendo is the Anti-Sony.

Having said that I have no doubt Mario 3D World and DK will be lots of fun. Just too predictable.

ASIS

I was disappointed at the direct, mainly because it was only half an hour. But honestly the games look really nice. Sucks that there is no 3rd party support though.

Maybe it's because I didn't buy a Wii U yet, or because I went in with realistic expectations and not "Retro is making Star Tropics: First Blood" because I seriously don't know why people are acting like it was terrible outside of the streaming issues. I can see some disappointment that Retro is only making an amazing sequel to an amazing game instead of an amazing original game, or that Mario isn't some crazy new thing we all imagined in our heads, but terrible?

And outside of Mario 3D World's camera and visual style based on the design of a handheld game, I don't really get the "everything they showed is just a glorified handheld title!" meme either.

IHaveIce

Banned
Okey where do I can watch later the Pokemon thing? On the normal Nintendo Direct site or where? In case GAF goes down again, could someone send me the link on twitter?

@IHaveIce

Soooo excited for "X" by Monolith

sappyday

It feels like all of the stuff we've seen before. X looks great and so does Smash but the new Mario doesn't feel like the successor to Galaxy. No F-Zero :(

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I just wanted the following games, Advance Wars 3DS, F-Zero 3DS, and Metroid 3DS.

None were announced. Thus, this was a waste of time.

Smash 3DS looks fantastic. The Wii U version doesn't.

trixx

Maybe it's because I didn't buy a Wii U yet, or because I went in with realistic expectations and not "Retro is making Star Tropics: First Blood" because I seriously don't know why people are acting like it was terrible outside of the streaming issues. I can see some disappointment that Retro is only making an amazing sequel to an amazing game instead of an amazing original game, or that Mario isn't some crazy new thing we all imagined in our heads, but terrible?
Its because you don't own a Wii u yet. You didn't have to put up with this launch. Wait until the price drops and when the games you are interested in are out.

Yawnier

Banned
What shocked me about this press conference is zero word on a price cut or a bundle for the Wii U. Absolutely nothing. You would think with how the system is selling across the world right now they would try to do at least something in that regard, but nope.

Galang

Banned
Still way better than last few Nintendo E3s imo, but they really dropped the ball on the release dates. I was looking forward to Mario Kart + 3D Mario combo for Christmas, but looks like I may put that off another year.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ive never been so disappointed in my entire life. How could they blow this so bad? No new games, retro doing DK, Mario looking meh. At least all the known stuff still looks good, but they are definitely putting themself in a pretty niche place going forward - which is sad :(

rokero

I am perfectly fine with wiiu being a only nintendo game box, the only problem with the direct was that there were no surprises everything else looked solid mario kart 8 really impressed me and X looks beastly

stanley1993

Neo Member
I wonder if this conference would be considered better if they never announced mario 3d, mario kart, and ssb in previous nintendo direct. I thought the conference was great. These games will move units and in the long run will be better for the company. + new news is still supposed to be coming. I thought the conference also had more of the few games throughout the whole e3 that looked fun and new. (this was a attack more towards titan fall which looked mostly like COD with mechs)

Javier

I'm honestly not complaining about any of the games. They look like a lot of fun and I'm sure I'll enjoy all of them. I am a bit disappointed 3D Mario is more like 3D Land rather than Galaxy, but I loved 3D Land so 3D World may be an enjoyable experience as well.

What really killed it for me was the awful laggy stream, which drained all the hype and excitement I had prior. Seriously, if the stream would have worked proper I'm sure a lot of the opinions in this thread wouldn't be nearly as bad (not that I don't see some of the POVs going on here)

topramen

What the hell ever happened tot this:

"It's been nearly 10 years since the creation of Pikmin," Miyamoto said. "I think this coming year, it's about time a new character be created."
-E3 2010

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I had low expectations going in, like really scaled back to "maybe one new IP from retro and the Mario game will be some bold new thing".

They managed to disappoint. I didn't think it was possible. 10 billion in the bank, they've had... what... 3 years in dev with this hardware by now, and this was the sum of their teams inspiration?

Mario Kart not even releasing this year to bolster sales but "Spring 2014" was really the moment when the conference entered WiiU Funeral March territory. Nintendo deserve their console business sliding into a very dark oblivion indeed to the most conservative and frankly lazy approach I've seen from a console maker to date.
DDsftak.jpg

Fuck off.

Not one game displaying the purpose or making a case for the existence of the GamePad solidified my feelings that there is no benefit to consumers from Nintendo making hardware any longer if they can't even support the weight of their own gimmick choices.

Other than the lack of surprises, what was shown looks pretty solid for me.

Favs were MK8 (60fps, replays, etc), X (where are the new gifs), B2 (haven't played the 1st one) and DKCTF (looks amazing)

Edit: Make sure to watch the developer videos to get a better idea

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Don't worry guys. The reason why this was so disappointing was because Retro's true super-hardcore-make-PS4/Xboners-cry game was pulled at the very last minute because it wasn't quite ready.

/false hope

Well, one things for sure. That rumor from last year was clearly bullshit. Why the hell would they pull DKCR2 at the last second?

Top Bottom