• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct E3 2013 Presentation

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Solid lineup but they really needed to have Mario Kart this year. That was a bigger system seller on Wii U than Galaxy.

They need a price cut I think, I don't think these games are going to be enough.

Also they should have shown how the gamepad works with these new games.

And why is Super Mario 3D Land a spin-off? It is a 3D Mario and this is a 3D Mario. They are all mainline 3D Mario games. I don't understand why you are trying to compare the "reveals". The whole Direct was super lacklustre in revealing games. It was terribly paced. They really were underwhelming compared to every other reveal including Super Mario 3D Land. You claim this has nothing to do with handheld gaming yet are saying new mainline console Mario games have a new twist. This has everything to do with origins. If you got the 3D Land style of gameplay on the Wii U first, you would say anything at all.

I think what he means to say is that he was hoping for a console Mario with a sense of wonder and newness that Sunshine and Galaxy had. As awesome as 3D Land is, it still is a more traditional Mario game and not really in line with the same feel that those other titles evoke.

They need to announce a price cut and a proper account system by the end of this year, otherwise it's done. We will all love the games but that's it. Nintendo for Nintendo fans, and that's not enough for the company. If this is another GameCube in terms of sales then Iwata, I'm sorry but you gotta go. I love you man, but this... you guys lost it, you don't know what you're doing at this point. Sorry.

DaBoss

I think what he means to say is that he was hoping for a console Mario with a sense of wonder and newness that Sunshine and Galaxy had. As awesome as 3D Land is, it still is a more traditional Mario game and not really in line with the same feel that those other titles evoke.

And this is exactly my point. It is the whole "lol handheld gaming" except a hell of a lot more subtle.

SMG, and 3D Land are a hell of a lot more similar than SM64/SMS is with any of the other games. The SMG and SM64/SMS have a grander focus which 3D Land lacks, but from looking at the different levels, it seems 3D World will have a larger focus than 3D Land.

Mileena

Banned
Just watched everything off the eShop. Wow.

Thinking of throwing this thing up on craigslist tonight. The biggest surprise of the show was that Nintendo thinks Drawing Academy and Wii Play U are titles even worth making. This thing is clearly aimed at some other demographic and alienating the hardcore.

NotLiquid

The Developer Interviews could have really been integrated to the entire showing to make it all look better I think. Content-wise there might not have been much or anything we didn't expect but I thought there were some really great quality titles on display here that's bound to be worth Wii U owners' time.

Lack of third party, no price drop, big titles being saved for 2014 and no big surprises was a really big bummer and a missed opportunity. But the games have me more excited than ever.

It was solid for what it was.

And why is Super Mario 3D Land a spin-off? It is a 3D Mario and this is a 3D Mario. They are all mainline 3D Mario games. I don't understand why you are trying to compare the "reveals". The whole Direct was super lacklustre in revealing games. It was terribly paced. They really were underwhelming compared to every other reveal including Super Mario 3D Land. You claim this has nothing to do with handheld gaming yet are saying new mainline console Mario games have a new twist. This has everything to do with origins. If you got the 3D Land style of gameplay on the Wii U first, you would say anything at all.

Even if you cosnider 3D Land to be an actual tentpole Mario game, (I don't) fact still remains that there's no proper new Mario game on WiiU. It's a struggling console and all we're getting are sequels to existing Mario games. It needs its own Mario that's as fresh as 64/Sunshine/Galaxy were for their respective consoles. What we have so far are nice but they're not comparable.

Yes, thank you.

And this is exactly my point. It is the whole "lol handheld gaming" except a hell of a lot more subtle.

SMG, and 3D Land are a hell of a lot more similar than SM64/SMS is with any of the other games. The SMG and SM64/SMS have a grander focus which 3D Land lacks, but from looking at the different levels, it seems 3D World will have a larger focus than 3D Land.

Again, I dunno where you're getting an issue with handheld gaming from. I adore my 3DS and have a Poptart shipping on its way that I'm super psyched about. It comes down to WiiU not having a Mario game with a fleshed-out new, fresh angle to it. I'm not gonna say what we're getting so far are rehashes cause I'm sure Nintendo will continue putting out quality stuff, they're just not showing me the next evolution for Mario. He's supposed to have one every generation.

im honestly disappointed at retro making another DKCR. or rather only DKCR.

i mean sure i know they could be working on another project but have they ever worked on two serious projects at once? i loved DKCR and im excited but fuck i was hoping for something new.

even smash bros didnt do anything for me this year. rest of the games look okay but i dont see myself running out to buy a WiiU for super mario 3d world. E3 in general has been pretty subpar and all 3 companies havent shown anything that was incredibly exciting :/

d_escudero

Neo Member
I really like Super Mario 3D Land, World seems a good continuation for this line. But... they haven't convince me to buy a Wii U this time, and I'm thinking they won't do it for the next 12 months... they need to reimpress me (and a big pricedrop). I don't want to play MK again, (And I'm not interested in Bayo 2 or X). I need new things...; also Retro disappointed me, they can do an original work

And for 3DS, I'm liking the graphics

I'm starting to think E3 is nothing to get hyped for regarding Nintendo now, especially if they're going to be peppering in game announcements all year via Nintendo directs. It's just a different approach rather than blowing their whole wad at once.

I do hope DKCR isn't Retro's title though.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
just watched the conference...
Underwhelming overall...we already knew about the games.I thought there would be more...ok so megaman was unveiled in smash...big whoop....however wheres the "games" at nintendo?
:/

anyways, looks like Im gonna have to buy the wii u next year for smash and whatever else like zombi u

NotLiquid

I'm starting to think E3 is nothing to get hyped for regarding Nintendo now, especially if they're going to be peppering in game announcements all year via Nintendo directs. It's just a different approach rather than blowing their whole wad at once.

I do hope DKCR isn't Retro's title though.

It's Retro's title.

The optimist in me has some doubts that it's the only thing they're working on considering how much they've expanded and employed new people. But if this is all they have going well... I guess I can't complain. DKCR was a fantastic title and seeing that get a followup is great, even if all their talent could have been used elsewhere.

yeah i forgot about the mario kart in 2014 news

that was the killer for me :( wanted to play it in December, i would swap 3D world with mario kart 8 , that one will be so much better

watch mario kart come out in May

ZeroAKA

This is probably a stupid question, but is that Pokemon Direct in an hour and a half still happening? And is there a live stream?

Big thanks to BY2K for keeping the OP updated, as I just got in (missed the Nintendo Direct) and wasn't looking forward to combing through all the threads to get all the news. So far it looks like there's nothing compelling enough yet for me to pick up a Wii U.

DaBoss

Even if you cosnider 3D Land to be an actual tentpole Mario game, (I don't) fact still remains that there's no proper new Mario game on WiiU. It's a struggling console and all we're getting are sequels to existing Mario games. It needs its own Mario that's as fresh as 64/Sunshine/Galaxy were for their respective consoles. What we have so far are nice but they're not comparable.

Again, I dunno where you're getting an issue with handheld gaming from. I adore my 3DS and have a Poptart shipping on its way that I'm super psyched about. It comes down to WiiU not having a Mario game with a fleshed-out new, fresh angle to it. I'm not gonna say what we're getting so far are rehashes cause I'm sure Nintendo will continue putting out quality stuff, they're just not showing me the next evolution for Mario. He's supposed to have one every generation.

I guess I can see where you're coming from now that you've explained yourself further that you want a completely new gameplay style. My issue with your argument is dismissing 3D Land as just a spin-off and not even considering it to be a mainline 3D Mario game and then proceed to call it a spin-off. How is it a spin-off? It is made by the same people as the other mainline games. It has 3D environments. Most of the physics are the same as Galaxy. It is a new style of play like the Galaxy games and SMS/SM64. You simply just dismiss it as a spin-off without any real reasoning. The only one that seems to be implied with the fact that you keep mentioning home console is the "handheld can't be considered mainline" argument. I'm not saying you have anything against the 3DS, but you simply seem to be saying that the console games are the mainline games.

So is this pretty much the first party line-up for the rest of the year:
  • Pikmin 3 - July/August
  • Wonderful 101 - August
  • Wind Waker HD - October
  • Super Mario World - December
  • Wii Party U - end of the year
  • Wii Fit U - Winter

And is this every third party game announced to be upcoming for the system?
  • Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Disney Infinity
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Rayman Legends
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked
  • Disney's Planes
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • Watch Dogs
  • Sonic: Lost World

Well yeah I was upset about the conference but seeing all the games they showed at ND were in the Nintendo booth, is good news, that means there are more titles in the work that can't be demoed right now, so let's see how the next Nintendo Directs are going to be.

Beelzebub

The games did look great! I think people are upset because they are playing it so safe and not bringing anything new to the table. I'm happy though X looked incredible

Linkhero1

• Pikmin 3 - July/August
  • Wonderful 101 - August
  • Wii Fit U - Winter

• Disney Infinity
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Rayman Legends
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked
  • Disney's Planes
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • Watch Dogs
I think DKCR 2 is this year as well. Pretty slim list for a console in dire need of games.

What the heck is everyone smoking? All of the games they showed looked fantastic. I enjoyed the conference.

Same. Ill be buying pretty much everyone shown.

Just so much gameplay focused games that look fun to play.

This is what i want from gaming. Tastes differ, of course.

Arent we suppose to hear about a couple big indie games? One being an online sci fi fps.

Seems we got more to look forward to.

3D Land was fresh and enjoyable. It walked a new path for Mario platformers; not entirely innovative, but still fresh.

3D World is walking a similar path to 3D Land, which is disappointing. Multiplayer 3D Land is okay, but it's no system seller.

This is coming from someone who skipped the 360/PS3 generation because most of it felt like retreaded ground. Sure, the Wii didn't have that many games, but the ones there were really incredible and ground-breaking. The new WiiU games are walking paths I've already walked. I just wanted Nintendo to make me want the WiiU, and aside from X, I saw nothing there. I already played the Wii, and I enjoy my 3DS. I have no reason to want a WiiU now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think DKCR 2 is this year as well. Pretty slim list for a console in dire need of games.

Look, I am not a fan of much of what they announced, but I think that's a pretty good second half of the year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
  • Pikmin 3 - July/August
  • Wonderful 101 - August
  • Wii Fit U - Winter

• Disney Infinity
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Rayman Legends
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked
  • Disney's Planes
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • Watch Dogs

Game and Wario is in a week, and DKC is October, but yeah. Wasteland. There look to be some great games on there, but they need more. By the time they finally start getting a steady flow of games people will already own PS4.

schuelma

Game and Wario is in a week, and DKC is October, but yeah. Wasteland. There look to be some great games on there, but they need more. By the time they finally start getting a steady flow of games people will already own PS4.

I'm kind of repeating myself here, but wasteland? I don't think it looks that bad.

Pretty decent string of releases starting in August IMO.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
When is the Keighley-Reggie interview happening?

I'd like an honest answer from Nintendo about all these third party games that are getting released on everything but the Wii U, even the japanese stuff.

I'm kind of repeating myself here, but wasteland? I don't think it looks that bad.

Pretty decent string of releases starting in August IMO.

From the perspective of someone who doesn't own a WiiU, there's some good games I'd pick up if I had the system (Pikmin maybe, W101 definitely), but it's not enough to get me to spend $300. A schedule like this could work for a second or third year, but it's a "wasteland" if you're looking for reasons to buy a new expensive console.

PhantomR

Banned
Outside of an affirmative "We don't have 3rd party support, we will never have 3rd party support, you better pack it in and sell your Wii U," what in the world was Reggie supposed to say in that kind of situation? At a certain point, Geoff was just beating the 3rd Party dead horse where he would not be satisfied with any answer Reggie could give apart from "we are so shit."

And yet, despite saying the Wii U had no games and showing a rare moment where a gaming journalist at least attempted to find their balls, he interviews Miyamoto like they're best friends and is like "you guys have SO MANY GAMES here and on the horizon!"

As truthfully dire as the Wii U situation is at the moment, Geoff really only succeed in making himself look like an ass, even more so than when he forcefully cut off the Mega64 guys from talking about Nintendo and when he fostered that "Nintendo should go 3rd Party/develop on iOS" inane discussion later.

FUCKING EXACTLY.

Honestly, Reggie did an excellent job in that interview and was very professional. Even Geoff with his little "show me how you do that cat move again" remark towards Mr. Miyamoto made me want to fucking slap the taste out of his mouth. He is such a disrespectful little shit when it concerns Nintendo executives. He pulls shit that HE WOULDN'T FUCKING DARE pull with either Tretton or Mattrick. The fuck outta here with that shit.

As far as the Nintendo Direct is concerned, after viewing it again I was actually pleased with the content sans Donkey Kong. I don't think it's cool that NCL gives Monolith free reign to do what they want and come up with new ideas and IP, but not Retro. I will buy Donkey Kong at launch, that's not an issue. But would Sony do this to say....Naughty Dog? LOL no.

schuelma

From the perspective of someone who doesn't own a WiiU, there's some good games I'd pick up if I had the system (Pikmin maybe, W101 definitely), but it's not enough to get me to spend $300. A schedule like this could work for a second or third year, but it's a "wasteland" if you're looking for reasons to buy a new expensive console.

I agree that Nintendo still lacks that really impressive killer app. I was thinking 3D Mario would do the trick but so far I don't think so.

Top Bottom