• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct E3 2013 Presentation

Not really. Wii Fit U and Mario 3D World will be the holiday games. They won't set the world on fire but they will surely do quite well. If Mario Kart comes in early 2014 they might have a chance of resuscitating the machine.

From now until the end of 2013 there is:

Game and Wario
Wii Party U
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U
Mario 3D World

That's decent IMO. The trouble is that we have had to wait from November 2012 to August 2013 for the titles to start coming.

DK Tropical Freeze in November too.

I can't believe that instead of being creative like they usually are in the console 3D marios they just did this lazy... thing.

Also a new DKC being retro's new game pisses me off so much.

They showed some good stuff, but I still can't believe how out of touch Nintendo is. I honestly don't know how they could have thought this was a good E3 showing with how bad the Wii U is doing right now.

Also let's have a moment of silence for my old avatar.

Saddest thing is Retro making DOnkey Kong.

No metroid
Lack of new IPs
Mario 3d looks like 3D Mario Land
Stream was shit

Considering the circumstances this was even worse than last year. 3 straight shitty years. Iwata needs to go!

I really thought it was a 3DS game the entire time until they showed the title card.

What really disappoints me is Sony and MS showed plenty of new IPs, which is necessary for growing your business and having something to build on into the future. Nintendo refuses to take such risks, which is really beginning to damage their existing IPs. The other issue is, Nintendo refuses to take risks with their current IPs, instead playing it safe and offering experiences for "all gamers," which is essentially the kiss of death for the core audience.

ryuzaki57

Banned
ps4-wiiu.jpg

Another Medicare conference by Nintendo.

Why buy a wii I this year when all the games are out next year.

Also Nintendo needs a new ip stat. Retro need to make something new

DSXBoy

Not really. Wii Fit U and Mario 3D World will be the holiday games. They won't set the world on fire but they will surely do quite well. If Mario Kart comes in early 2014 they might have a chance of resuscitating the machine.

From now until the end of 2013 there is:

Game and Wario
Wii Party U
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U
Mario 3D World

That's decent IMO. The trouble is that we have had to wait from November 2012 to August 2013 for the titles to start coming.
None of them are system sellers. Wii fit U won't sell unless ninty bundle it with a free balance board.
It's gamecube all over again. Wii U has reverse momentum & until Iwata & Miyamoto retire nothing will change.

Sianos

I'm really doubting Donkey Kong is the secret Retro game, considering we just had one AND a remake of it (that was pretty excellent, but that's not the point). That's a stretch even for Nintendo.

I'm glad to see Nintendo dropped all the fluff, but they seemed to have dropped their games too. Games that were shown looked great, but we knew they were all coming. No surprises other than MEGA MAAAAAN which was admittedly pretty great, but at the same time lackluster compared to the other conferences.

I loved 3D Land for its presentation of the classic Mario experience in a 3D space, and I would enjoy more of it, but I was hoping for something new as well. Same with Zelda, I love Wind Waker and would enjoy more of it, but it'd have been nice to have something new.

Smash looks wonderful, glad its hitting 3DS as well considering the state of the Wii U. Both versions look gorgeous, and MEGA MAAAAAAAAAAN. Pulling out the OP Metal Blades was probably the biggest surprise of the show for me. :U

I mean, they're great games, but not enough to compete with what we've seen and no big surprises.

Wish they showed more 3DS titles, I bet we'll see another instance of titles secretly snuck out on the Nintendo website. Paper Mario, Mario Kart 7, and Ocarina of Time 3D all got this unceremonious announcmeent during another slow year.

Overall, like Microsoft the presentation was good and great games were shown, but nothing to get me to buy the console being promoted.

I guess it helps for me that I adored 3d land. I just always figured smash would be the big thing so I wasn't expecting much else. Low expectations for the win I guess.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Christ, that 3D Mario trailer. Such a lazy fucking direction. 3D Land looked and played the way it did specifically because of the hardware it was on. Iwata and co explained this. The level sizes were obviously relative to the 3D hardware strength, and the locked camera perspectives were to showcase the stereo 3D.

It's seriously like Nintendo went "Well 3D Land sold better than Galaxy. So lets give them more 3D Land!", and stuck it on the Wii U.

Multiplayer is nice, but gone is the inventive, surprising direction that lead to Galaxy, or even the original 3D Land. Just can't believe it.

espher

Buying several of these and there are others that looked good but I won't be getting (Windwaker, Bayonetta, DKC). I was not unhappy with this conference, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't patiently waiting for a megaton.

Christ, that 3D Mario trailer. Such a lazy fucking direction. 3D Land looked and played the way it did specifically because of the hardware it was on. Iwata and co explained this. The level sizes were obviously relative to the 3D hardware strength, and the locked camera perspectives were to showcase the stereo 3D.

It's seriously like Nintendo went "Well 3D Land sold better than Galaxy. So lets give them more 3D Land!", and stuck it on the Wii U.

Multiplayer is nice, but gone is the inventive, surprising direction that lead to Galaxy, or even the original 3D Land. Just can't believe it.

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe they got so lazy.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can't believe that instead of being creative like they usually are in the console 3D marios they just did this lazy... thing.

Of course, we all know that every Mario game can be accurately rated from 60 seconds of footage.

People said the same thing about Galaxy 2 and it turned out to be the greatest game of all time.

If it's HD Zelda and a HD Metroid/Retro Project then i don't mind

Retro has had over three years to work on their first Wii U game and this is what we got? No, I don't want to wait. They had their chance to fine tune a killer game and I'm in shock that it turned out to be a 2D platformer.

zychi

Banned
But man, Nintendo needed to come out with a huge surprise. People have been asking for basically a new mascot franchise that can stand alongside Mario, Zelda and Metroid for years. Nintendo REALLY needed to announce THAT this year.

I don't get this argument? Nintendo has the most franchise/mascots of all video game companies. Look at Smash Bros v PS All Stars. AS is a bunch of B-rated characters. Nintendo is all Nintendo characters and a random partnership(Snake, MegaMan etc)

Just innovate with the games, no need for a new mascot, they have like 20 already.

todog

Will there be any information on upcoming 3DS titles as well? I was hoping to get a concrete release date for Mario Golf World Tour.

Mistle

WWHD, X, Smash Bros, Bayo 2, W101, Donkey Kong and Mario Kart all looked awesome. It's a shame the new Mario game doesn't impress like Galaxy did :/ loved 3D Land! And no doubt this game will be unfiltered fun. But it kind of looks underwhelming compared to what I'd expect from the flagship Mario line sadly.. In terms of innovation, scope, creativity, music, etc.

man did X look good though. xenoblade was amazingly good so I have no doubts in X.
and while I think DCK:R was one of the best platformers ever, I'm kind of disappointed Retro just ended up making a sequel, i was hoping they were doing something different. There has been some pretty crazy speculation the best couple years so I guess the expectations for something new was high.
I loved WWHD, oh man am I getting that.... made timeless graphics even more timeless somehow. 1080p is an awesome surprise too!
And of course Mario Kart will be great, dug the graphics and new gravity mechanics.
and smash bros? was great of course. would have liked another newcomer or so but i guess I can't really complain, megaman is worth like 3 newcomers in one.
in terms of overall graphics, i wish Nintendo were as good at HD graphics as Monolith are with X. clearly the Wii U is capable of crazy good graphics, which sadly Nintendo don't seem to be *entirely* utilising. The Mario game should have blown me away ._.

While 3D World looks incredibly fun, it just doesn't sit on the same pedestal as the previous main Mario games. They're supposed to be unhinged Nintendo creativity.

And getting picky now, I wouldn't have minded at least 1 surprise. I also really, really miss the proper stage show and all the fun/excitment that comes along with it.

/cynical

it was still awesome!

hawk1010

Neo Member
I honestly don't know why so many people are bitching (outside of the stream being horrible, which it absolutely was). Personally, I thought all the first party games were fantastic and I'll be picking up each of them on day 1. In terms of games, I felt that they had the best showing out of the 5 conferences. The others were filled with FPS, TPS, and realistic racing games for the most part. The true gems imho were few and far between (KI, Star Wars Battlefront, Mirrors Edge, Final Fantasy XV, KH3, etc). This market is already beyond oversaturated with gritty shooters. Did Nintendo play it safe? Yes. Is that a bad thing to fans? I don't think so. Plus we've only seen small parts of these games. Nintendo is known for keeping secrets and wowing in the end. Never bet against Nintendo. I'll gladly get a PS4 at launch to go next to my Wii U. I just wish everyone would stop bitching. Either enjoy the games or don't but it seems the majority of you are just IMPOSSIBLE to please. Nintendo has done new IPs (Wii Sport, Wii Fit, Wii Party, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and Last Story on the Wii), now they have X (which may be part of the Xenoblade IP or different) and Wonderful 101 and we're not even through with the first year of the damn console.

I'd rather play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc etc for the rest of my life if it meant I never had to see another gritty FPS again.

Do you guys realize that if Nintendo didn't ever do Nintendo directs and just held a regular E3 conference, that there actually would have been more surprises?

The fact that they do several Nintendo Directs a year means that their E3 offering will be slimmer than usual.

Overall thought it was pretty good, but assuming that this DK game is being made by Retro, I am slightly disappointed.

Of course, we all know that every Mario game can be accurately rated from 60 seconds of footage.

People said the same thing about Galaxy 2 and it turned out to be the greatest game of all time.

Uh, no. People freaked out at Galaxy because of the planet hopping. This is literally just 3DLand, hell they couldn't even be bothered to make the game look anywhere near as nice as the other games they had to show.

takriel

I can live with Pikmin 3, WW HD, Pokémon, Zelda aLbW and Mario 3D World this year. Looking forward to all those titles! Don't know what you guys expected, but I'm pretty satisfied.

On mario 3D world:

was not expecting the Mario game to be that. thats what disappointed me most about it

i was expecting a game like Galaxy and Mario 64, single player mostly. that game feels like it could have been done on 3DS

I dont have 3 other people to play with if its just local co-op, there wont be an online mode for the co-op

AniHawk

more like, 'hd development is super hard holy shit let's just take this 3d land game and make it a console game.'

they were hinting at this thing when they said they were building a studio to better share assets. mario kart 8 looks way different from mario kart 7 and that's about the only major change going on, it seems.

dkctf also seems to fit the bill of 'shit, this is a lot more difficult than expected'

TentPole

Until this morning I thought Nintendo was just being Nintendo. Now I think it is becoming apparent that their design decisions are coming from a place of fear and trepidation rather than a bold disregard for market expectations.

AniHawk

more like, 'hd development is super hard holy shit let's just take this 3d land game and make it a console game.'

they were hinting at this thing when they said they were building a studio to better share assets. mario kart 8 looks way different from mario kart 7 and that's about the only major change going on, it seems.

dkctf also seems to fit the bill of 'shit, this is a lot more difficult than expected'

effzee

I just don't get world or realm Nintendo operates in.

How do they not see what the competition does and at least pick up on presentation styles? How to excite a fanbase? How to market?

The Nintendo Direct idea was terrible. So much lag couldn't see shit. Seriously pony up some money and do a conference from now on. Cancel this direct idea right away. Quirky non E3 related directs work, but not during E3.

Its also painfully obvious that Nintendo as a game developer is stretched far too thin between supporting the 3DS and now the WiiU. No third party support only highlights this more. They need to buy more 2nd parties or expand their own studios. Mario Kart had to come out this year. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? How does it take them this long to develop games?

How in the world has Rare been only working on a sequel to a 2d side scrolling game? Seriously? WTF? It looks awesome but this is a sequel I thought they could put together in a much shorter time period maybe ready in time for Fall 2014. This is what they have been working on for the past 2 years? I'd hate to hear that Nintendo forced them to focus on this.

I didn't expect any bombshell third party announcements and only the games which were previously announced so I am not disappointed.

Real anger comes from the lag, the lack of a price drop, MK8 coming out next year (biggest disappointment to be honest), and I guess I expected a better (graphically) looking Mario game. I don't care about the setting or that its a sequel to a game from the 3ds, BUT I wanted to be wowed by the graphics of it.

Local best buy has the demos. I might stop by later today to check out the games in person.

AniHawk

While I can understand why people were disappointed as hell by this I got exactly what I wanted with Bayo 2 and Smash, and even got the Retro-made DKCR sequel with Dixie Kong people kept telling me wasn't going to happen. Objectively Sony had a much better showing though (I mean I don't see how the Wii U is going to perform remotely competitively to the PS4 or even the XBone), but I'm bias as hell and preferred this direct.

... Weirded out they only showed off two newcomers for Smash though. Guess those rumors of the conservative roster jump were true? :X

Tookay

more like, 'hd development is super hard holy shit let's just take this 3d land game and make it a console game.

I think it's those + "We NEED a Mario game this holiday, and the 3D Land series is much easier to develop than a Galaxy-sized title."

What a disappointment.

Top Bottom