• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation on April 1st

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mario Kart 8 just keeps on giving, this news kinda redeemed this otherwise lame Direct. The series needed this 200cc speed, it's fantastic for the current game and for the future. Could we have such an update for MK7 as well Nintendo?

Splatoon still looks the most promising Nintendo game in the near future, Yoshi is not that far off and Fatal Frame coming to west is good news.
The VC treatment is terrible, someone needs to tell them that. Amiibo support is still unexciting.

Nothing new really, let's wait for E3. All seems to indicate Wave Race will be announced then.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That's how you make a Direct.

Box Boy, here I come!
Fatal Frame U, very excited about it. SMT x FE - not sure what to say. A wait and see, I guess.

And I've been holding up against amiibos, but it's Splatooooon and Wool Yoshi, bitches!

Floridian

Summary of today's direct:

1. DLC
2. Amiibos (Essentially micro transactions for Splatoon... locking away exclusive content for only those who purchase the figurine)
3. F2P Nintendo game (Pokemon Rumble)
4. Virtual Console announced for Wii U (Don't worry you still have to pay us for the upgrade fee if you bought the games already on Wii)
5. Zero new games announced.

I'm baffled why anyone was happy with this direct. Wii U remains on life support for 2015.

Especially considering it was longer than other directs too. What a waste of time for me.

Veeboy

Little concerned about SMTxFE since I was expecting a more 'traditional' crossover, but I'll still buy it. Looks nice enough. Lots of other great news too. Only true disappointment was the continued lack of Metroid but I've gotten used to that by now.

Also, I'm buying at least 20 Yarn Yoshi amiibos. And all other amiibo in the yarn line (if there are any more). Nintendo has discovered how to get me to buy amiibo through the magic of soft adorable toys. God help me.

Dr. Buni

This is was one lame Direct. The SMT x FE crossover is nothing like either SMT or FE (which might be a good thing for SMT fans in the end) and no new announcements.

Girl Villager in Mario Kart 8 + Lucas back in Smash were the best things.
No on else is hyped by N64, DS and more Wii VC game announcements?
Not at all.

General:
+ Smash Ballot
+ Splatoon
+ FE if
+++ SMT x FE
- No Metroid
- No Star Fox

NA Direct:
+ Fatal Frame
- No small New 3DS
- No Rhythm Heaven
8/10

JP Direct:
+ Bravely Second
+ RHYTHM HEAVEN BITCHES
11/10

Ahh did JPN get Rhythm Heaven footage?? Yes godddd.

purdobol

Great direct.
Realy hope Fatal Frame will come out this year.
Yoshi's Wooly World classic mode is good news to.
200cc will be fun.
Rest was ... meh

chadboban

1. DLC
2. Amiibos (Essentially micro transactions for Splatoon... locking away exclusive content for only those who purchase the figurine)
3. F2P Nintendo game (Pokemon Rumble)
4. Virtual Console announced for Wii U (Don't worry you still have to pay us for the upgrade fee if you bought the games already on Wii)

I'm baffled why anyone was happy with this direct. Wii U remains on life support for 2015.

Well when your summary skips as much as you have of course it looks bad :/

Nanashrew

Banned
Sounds like GAF loved the direct

Sounds like GAF hated the direct

More like, some overhyped themselves into oblivion and are now the saddest sacks in the thread. I thought the Direct was great and we got SMT X FE, something everyone kept saying was Nintendo's Last Guardian.

E3 is close

People who enjoy Nintendo games being games and actually playing them instead of criticizing for their looks (or lack there of) can enjoy what Nintendo had to offer in this direct.

Fatal Frame localization was a surprise.

I'm personally happy with this direct. I'm so glad that we got to see SMT X FE.

I'm also happy to see more Fire Emblem info, though I was hoping for a 2015 North American release.

I'm surprised Fatal Frame is making it's way over, but I'm glad it is.

Nailed it. How is the Wii U not selling?!

Some people don't have an addiction for Amiibo's that would make you think a crack dealer just made a round on Gaf for starters. Also a lot of what was just shown was meh at best. I mean 200cc for Mario Kart is cool and all but nobody is going to rush out to buy a Wii U now because of it.

NotLiquid

I only expected release dates for Splatoon and Yoshi but I didn't expect SMTxFE (and for it to actually look good), Fatal Frame, N64/DS VC, the Smash/MK8 DLC to go the extra mile and for that Splatoon rumor with Amiibos to actually be real.

My expectations were certainly outdone. I quite loved this showing.

hatchx

Banned
Overall pretty good presentation, I'd give a 7/10

Great
-Smash Bros and Kart DLC handled right. 200CC!!!
-Fatal Frame localized!
-Splatoon has local multiplayer!
-N64 and DS on Virtual Console and DONE RIGHT!

Good
-Yoshi looks amazing and so does the beanbag amiibo
-Lots of great Eshop options

Meh
-well, what the hell is coming out for WiiU in June/July/August? Anything?
-X? Devil's Third? I suppose these are fall/winter/early 2016 games?

....I mean, I guess they have to save some things for e3. I just find it hard to believe they have a summer game lined up for WiiU without even peeping about it. With Splatoon on May 29th and Mario Maker in September, we can more or less assume there's nothing inbetween.

18-Volt

Heh, 3DS has absolutely nothing for the rest of the year but that AC spinoff. System is in dire need of big games. Pokémon Z pls.

RBuFsgc.png

I mean I knew the WiiU is dead outside a few digital offerings, but they now also drop the 3DS already? The EU lineup for the thing is absolutely pathetic. Sure was worth releasing that new revision, lol...

but 3x Fast Forward! ;)

Somnid

I thought it was great. Scratched about every realistic itch I had, except US Style Savvy 3. FE x SMT was a very pleasant surprise.

Direct was all around ok, the middle was a bit bad but I liked it all. I'm bummed though, because while the girl villager in MK8 looks a lot better than the boy, I still wish I could use my own villager, as impossible as that would be.

SMT x FE was impressive. Seeing more of Fire Emblem If (why won't they commit to a title in the US?) was good. Onii-chan pandering not so much. The rest of the Direct, with some localization announcements slower than what Europe got, more Amiibo, finally some more VC support that should've been there ages ago, and Animal Crossing: Let's Make More Money Reusing Assets Edition... I really was hoping for more. And I know this isn't E3, but Star Fox is still supposed to be out this year, right? How about they... show something of it? Before the last minute? Or will it be a "Definitely 2015 Oops it's 2016" Zelda-style?

And I hate to sound bitter, but Sakurai's studio's workflow is kind of messed up if it's really taken this long to port Mewtwo from Melee and Lucas from Brawl, with as little changes as I saw on display. ("Oh he has to design custom moves!" A large amount of the custom moves were just modifier tweaks to the standard move, making them shorter, electric, etc.) Yes, I know, they have to be rebalanced, reanimated, and so on, but this is not the same as building a character from scratch. They're clearly cribbing off the existing move designs, and that's a major chunk of the work. That Lucas isn't launching with Mewtwo day-and-date is shocking, or artificially spread out so people don't expect him for free.

sense

This Nintendo Direct will probably live on for being the one that dropped the most megatons. Seriously, HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

i am sorry but I assume this is a joke. it was alright but nothing really major that can be considered "megaton"

Top Bottom