• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

Tookay

What good would it do to give an update? The games still coming. There's at least one more Nintendo Direct before launch, which will have a decent amount of information on it. It's only logical that this one be featured on the games coming between now and then

Build hype, like any good marketing does? Especially before the months where PS4 and Xbone are going to dominate the news?

The more we've seen from other games (ALBW) have dispelled some of the initial criticism, wouldn't it be smart to start dispelling some of the concerns over games like 3D World?

Sendou

Build hype, like any good marketing does? Especially before the months where PS4 and Xbone are going to dominate the news?

The more we've seen of other games (ALBW) has dispelled some of the initial criticism, wouldn't it be smart to start dispelling some of the concerns over games like 3D World?

3D World criticism will be there until people can actually play the game. They have multiple Directs left for this year. I think it's smart approach to focus on games closer to release. Obviously 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are some of their most important products for this year and will get attention later on.

Next time they will announce Ganondorf, another major piece of information!

Maybe they won't include Ganondorf this time around? He wasn't in SSB64 nor Skyward Sword. Also they said they were keeping the character roster small. Hardly your point though.

zroid

Banned
Art Academy Wii U is only out in Japan so far, right? Did they say when the worldwide releases would be? Tomorrow?

Haines

Banned
The direct was fine, dare i say......good. I think you guys forget how hardcore some of you are sometimes.

They hyped up some games, covered some release dates, announced a few things. Just like every other direct.

We get an entire direct focused on W101 this week, and miiverse is days away from exploding with amazing art. All while busy with Pikmin 3 :)

tassletine

Before I really followed the industry, I never knew about Nintendo Directs, not until this January, and I was pretty much a "Nintendo gamer", but that meant maybe getting 1 game a year, maybe 2, and some years no games. I didn't even know Nintendo made other games like Sin and Punishment 2, Endless Ocean, etc. It was always "Zelda, Mario, . . . maybe Metroid." That cycle broke after seeing Xenoblade and the Rainfall Games get hyped on IGN! I had no idea Nintendo made such games! To get video game news, to be honest, meant to go to IGN.com, Go to 1up.com, go to EGM, Game Informer" etc. To reach a wider audience with news about their games, Nintendo can't just put them on their own dedicated Nintendo news platform because by definition you'd have to go out of your way to watch it, and who would really go out of their way to watch it than a person already "into" Nintendo? It's much easier to glean through a gaming news website and see what's up, see a journalist's impressions, see information about the games be revealed over time and get written discussion about the games. I actually really liked the way Sonic Lost World was presented and is being handled now, announced with a tease in a Nintendo Direct, teased on Sega's Facebook, then fully revealed on IGN.com, videos put onto Youtube, discussed further on IGN, mentioned again in Nintendo Directs, more revealed on Sega's Facebook...

What you're saying is immaterial as the information is disseminated by IGN etc anyway. Nintendo directs are just a more compact form of information. Both exist side by side.

I cannot understand why the VC has been started OVER again. The Wii VC waiting was awful. Now costumers have to do it again. Super Mario Bros 3? yay ...I already have it on Wii and I dont care about it on 3ds or WiiU. Give me Gamecube titles. I'm sure we will have downloadable Gamecube titles in 2030 at this rate of starting over every gen for VC.

chadboban

I knew it would just be updates on recent games.....smh at the people thinking new WiiU games were going to be announced, you guys never learn. They didn't even give updates on their biggest titles either like 3d world and DK.

Yeah of course you knew that, that's exactly what was said from the start.

I don't actually believe most of the predictions were actually serious, just GAFers having fun. They do that with pretty much every direct thread. I would've liked a trailer for DKC:TF or SM3DW though. But hey at least I have that W101 direct to look forward too on Friday.

AND FUCKING ACE ATTORNEY VS LAYTON!!! WOOOOOO!!!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
overall agree that it was a boring ND. Not bad. Just boring. Some cool surprises though like Art Academy and Animal Crossing Plaza.

Part of my problem on Wii U this year is that after W101 there doesn't look to be anything that will blow me away for the rest of the year. Some great solid titles.. Rayman, Zelda, Sonic, DKC, but nothing that has my jaw dropping.

Sonic is coming close to it though. Damn does that game look good.

My nostalgia will always run highest for Nintendo during 2002. Starting in June that system got:

Eternal Darkness
Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Star Fox Adventures
Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Mario Party 4
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II
Resident Evil 0
Metroid Prime

all within 6 months. :O

TheChits

The Art Academy app community is already awesome. Glad to see I'm not the only one liking it.

Best one of the last hour IMO:
zlCfzRFHJSACe3IdfP

Wow this one totally rocks

cluderi

Enjoyed the NOE one.

I'll be all over Zelda LBTW when it comes out so any footage is fine by me, Layton vs Wright too. Disappointed with no Bravely Default release date (or month) but there's still plenty of time.

Ah Shibata.....

linkboy

That Zelda is an abomination

Disgusting filth. Top down view is so archaic and I need my MM remake plz

That's more of a Zelda game than any of the 3d games have been.

Game looks downright amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Persona86

Banned
That's more of a Zelda game than any of the 3d games have been.

Game looks downright amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Ughh let's not start this BS please.

Nintendo is making 2d and 3d Zelda games, let's be happy that all fans can be satisfied by this fact.

sugarless

Noticed Aonuma just posted something in Miiverse on Wind Waker.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlYz4eY2Q

Translation:

Hello to everyone in the Legend of Zelda community. This is Aonuma at Nintendo. I haven't posted here in a while!

With the game's release date getting closer, I wanted to share some extra information about Wind Waker HD that we weren't able to cover in detail in today's Nintendo Direct presentation.

In the Direct video, we showed a brief glimpse of the new red sail for Link's boat that allows you to travel faster. Those of you familiar with the original game may have noticed this from watching the new footage, but this sail also allows you to travel in any direction at maximum speed, regardless of where the wind is blowing. This means you no longer need to use the Wind Waker to change the wind direction.

This sail will also add a GPS-like map function to the Wii U GamePad screen. You could say that it barely qualifies as a sailboat anymore with all these new features, but they make it easier than ever to find and chart a course towards small islands and salvage points. We hope that this will allow players who couldn't quite get to grips with sailing in the original game to have fun exploring the ocean this time around.

Wind Waker HD is out on Thursday 26 September. Toon Link is waiting to sail the clear blue ocean with you, so look forward to it!

Translation:

Hello to everyone in the Legend of Zelda community. This is Aonuma at Nintendo. I haven't posted here in a while!

With the game's release date getting closer, I wanted to share some extra information about Wind Waker HD that we weren't able to cover in detail in today's Nintendo Direct presentation.

In the Direct video, we showed a brief glimpse of the new red sail for Link's boat that allows you to travel faster. Those of you familiar with the original game may have noticed this from watching the new footage, but this sail also allows you to travel in any direction at maximum speed, regardless of where the wind is blowing. This means you no longer need to use the Wind Waker to change the wind direction.

My biggest worry was not the speed, but the constant changing of the wind. Was considering if I will get it day one or not, but this confirms my purchase.

Thoraxes

Man, I almost cried when Layton x AA was announced.

That came out of nowhere given what Nintendo said the direct would be about.

goomba

Banned
The Animal crossing Wii U Plaza is an interesting move, looks to be aimed at getting 3DS users onboard WiiU. I bet we will see something similar in a Pokemon WiiU Plaza

BY2K

Membero Americo
I wonder how far in the game you need to be to get the Swift Sail. I mean it completely breaks the sailing mechanic. It's basically Nintendo saying "We're sorry."

I was just hoping for some new Mario 3D World footage from levels that could hopefully ease concerns over the game a bit and show how great (I'm hoping) it can be. A bit bummed I didn't get that, thought it was a shoo-in since it's a 2013 title.

We will probably see more before launch and I would assume it will get its own Direct nearer launch. Fuck the haters, if its ANYTHING like the 3DS version it will be a brilliant game.

Fabrik

Banned
I wonder how far in the game you need to be to get the Swift Sail. I mean it completely breaks the sailing mechanic. It's basically Nintendo saying "We're sorry."

A mechanic that wasn't fun and had no relevant gameplay scenarios.
The wind was used cleverly only for a puzzle in Dragon Root Island and to access the Forest Temple if I remember well.
Removing the need to change wind direction while sailing has no downside.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's surprising to me how much I love 3DS. Last generation I remember wishing that most of the time when they showed DS games and stuff at E3 how much I wanted to see Wii games instead (even though I loved DS). Now all I care about is 3DS.

Top Bottom