• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

mclem

But the ND said it was for games coming this year. Why should that exclude those games we want more info on, and thus have people question our disappointment like it was our fault for not "managing our expectations"? (I had very little, by the way.)

What do you - or Nintendo - necessarily stand to gain by getting info on them now rather than later?

VanWinkle

I think by waiting so long they are missing an opportunity to drum up hype for the Wii U for the holidays. At least say something about the two games that are supposed to carry sales this holiday season. Instead we'll wait until late September or mid October and by then the launch of PS4/Xbone will be perhaps less than a month away and people will care less. I'm not saying spill it all, but new trailers and 30 seconds of talking about each is more than enough. They could go from announcing them in June to October without anything? They should be building hype every month. It should be something that you know is coming and can get hyped for, not something to beg and plead to see during these Directs. Again, it is a massive opportunity they are missing by not saying anything at all.

Hey AC has sold like 6 million copies worldwide? How about we put an app on a completely different console for it! No one is spending $300 on a Wii U for an AC app. No one. Miiverse should be on the 3DS already since they have been putting out communities for it for the past few months. It's disgraceful I can get on my Vita and pull it up but can't on my 3DS. Disgraceful.

All I got from the Wind Waker HD talk is that the HD graphics mean it's almost like a whole new game!

I liked what I saw of LBW though. We got to see what looks like at least one new dungeon, got to see the wall mechanic more, and got to see the Dark World! Really cool and I can't wait. That is how you build hype for and market a game.

Luigi in Smash isn't an announcement. It's an expectation. It's an announcement if he isn't in the game.

No, apparently they need to wait until mere days before the other next-gen consoles come out to bring new info and footage to the two holiday titles that they're hedging their bets on..

ASTROID2

Holy hell translate that sh*t

I put it in Google translator.

You legendary "community of Zelda, Long time no see. It is Aonuma of Nintendo. Today, aired on "Nintendo Direct", the latest information on "tact HD Wind" the release is we have approached finally so was published, in which, to this, the information that was not able to pick up too much detailed I think that it will Itadako I speak to you from me on the spot. In the image of Direct, "red sail" the speed of the ship that had been to tell from the previous is at a high speed was reflected for an instant, but of you that played the original, who noticed also come already I might be, but can speed not only be up simply, go in response to the full the wind always this fast, "sail", After I get this sail, that is, tact in even without controlling the wind direction, it is becomes possible to advance the ship in a desired direction. .... I seem to get is said, not a sailing ship anymore, but if I use charts such as car navigation systems that appear in the Wii U Game Pad This "sail" the (map), and or small islands that dot the ocean I think the approach to salvage point can become very easy and jerk, those who Temadora in search of the sea in the original as well, and if it is possible once again, enjoying the adventure of the open sea. September 26 "HD tact of the Wind", is released on Thursday. Links and full of energy, ocean it is crystal clear, because I wait for you to "sail" in the "cat eye", thank you!

ugoo18

Well fact is that Rayman Legends has a much bigger chance to actually be a success on Wii U than Splinter Cell ever will. This is the title they should be focusing on if we have to pick out one Ubisoft release this year.

Like i said what's going to catch Ubisoft's attention more to deliver their big next gen titles, Rayman Legends selling well or Blacklist/Watch_Dogs/AC4 selling well.

Legends is a title that fits well into Nintendo's already established fanbase, it's the titles that are not considered fits for the fanbase that need to sell well. I would be surprised if Legends didn't do relatively well on the WiiU considering the love of platformers on Nintendo consoles and i would not be surprised if 3rd parties viewed it in a somewhat similar way as well.

EDIT: Heck they even mentioned MH Frontier in the JP stream which comes out in December, Granted MH in Japan has greater selling power than those titles still not showing or mentioning the more western focused titles which will influence western 3rd parties greatly is just ugh

JoeM86

That is actually what I usually do, well at least the North American and Japanese directs. But I didn't have a proper computer available this time, only my tablet, so I wasn't able to follow all of them. But otherwise yeah I get what you mean, the directs weren't even bad, and it makes sense to only focus on things coming out in the near future.

Also I love your site, and yeah Pokémon X & Y will be massive, good luck getting all that info dude.

Thanks, shall try my best.

I managed to have two running on my PC, and the US one on the laptop. Job done :)

Darryl

Banned
i found it funny that when nintendo was talking about wind waker they brought up the timeline connections to the DS game. it isn't "if you played wind waker, here's some new features so you can enjoy it again" - it is "please enjoy this game you've never played that takes place after this other game you've played". really puts into perspective how bad the wind waker did when it originally released.

Kyon

Banned
Still baffled no one is talking about how he basically said there was a game not ready to be shown so stay tuned... Like why even mention it then?..

Metal B

This wouldn't be without precedent. See: the vast number of screenshots and videos of Ocarina of Time that show elements not in the final game. Didn't stop people from getting hyped about Zelda 64, did it?
And there will be a time and place to show those screenshots. But right now, Nintendo wants promote the actual new games.

By the way did anybody seen Steamworld Dig for 3DS? A mix between Metroidvania and Minecraft and it looked very good. Properly gonna buy it today.(so the Nintendo Direct worked on me =) )

Sandfox

So now it looks like we don't have to use the Wind Waker when sailing at all anymore. Now we just need to see what they did to the Triforce quest and if the higher difficulty thing is true.

Still baffled no one is talking about how he basically said there was a game not ready to be shown so stay tuned... Like why even mention it then?..

hype?

daakusedo

There's good chance lttp 2 overworld will be even more packed seeing this dark world and with the general speed I'm more interested than usual for a top down Zelda, still on exploration, ganbarion is doing good work with those one piece maps, their experience with the first games islands and pandora's tower dungeons is bearing fruit.

sugarless

Did you catch Captain Photogenic aka Erik Petersen on the NOA stream? Damn. I'd share a treehouse with him any day...

uBPWtHZ.png

Mononoke

Banned
I've given up on being excited about Nintendo Directs. Not because of today. Truth be told, as soon as I heard there was going to be one today, I didn't even bother watching it (knowing it would be exactly what it was). I just think the way Nintedo is using Direct is so poor.

I mean, at this point they can keep using Direct to give out any info, even if it's nothing new or big. So basically, it's equivalent to getting an email update from something you subscribe to. Whatever. But I feel like this really devalues and undercuts Directs ability to get people exited to tune into it when they do this. I would rather they just reserve this for big announcements, or even if they are just for info updates, provide some actual concrete info (such as release dates etc.)

Just me though. I've always thought that Direct was problematic. On the one hand, I see how it can be the future of PR. The company speaks directly to the consumer (and cuts out the middle man) etc. BUT, as others have pointed out, Nintendo fans already know what's coming. So who are they reaching? Their fan base, that already know this stuff is coming, and will already be buying it? I guess maybe Nintendo fans that haven't bought the Wii U yet?

I dunno. I'm just ranting now. I have a Wii U, and Pikimin 3 made me bring it out for the first time in months. Having a blast. I forgot how nice the Wii U pad is. I'm loving my 3DS (actually played it more than any other console - including PC - during my summer vacation). I just hope Nintendo can turn this shit around with regards to Wii U and how they are handling PR.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Will Band Bros be released out of Japan from the bat this time?

Animal Crossing Plaza is quite pretty, but it's very obviously (and unexpectedly) using the 3DS models for the villagers.

Also, Nintendo's Japanese site updated and reconfirmed that Rayman Legends will be published by Nintendo in Japan, so yay?

And because I think it bears repeating: There are 9 retail games for Wii u in Japan until the end of the year and only 1 announced indie game (The Cave, from Sega).

Lumyst

Just me though. I've always thought that Direct was problematic. On the one hand, I see how it can be the future of PR. The company speaks directly to the consumer (and cuts out the middle man) etc. BUT, as others have pointed out, Nintendo fans already know what's coming. So who are they reaching? Their fan base, that already know this stuff is coming, and will already be buying it? I guess maybe Nintendo fans that haven't bought the Wii U yet?

I dunno. I'm just ranting now. I have a Wii U, and Pikimin 3 made me bring it out for the first time in months. Having a blast. I forgot how nice the Wii U pad is. I'm loving my 3DS (actually played it more than any other console - including PC - during my summer vacation). I just hope Nintendo can turn this shit around with regards to Wii U and how they are handling PR.

Before I really followed the industry, I never knew about Nintendo Directs, not until this January, and I was pretty much a "Nintendo gamer", but that meant maybe getting 1 game a year, maybe 2, and some years no games. I didn't even know Nintendo made other games like Sin and Punishment 2, Endless Ocean, etc. It was always "Zelda, Mario, . . . maybe Metroid." That cycle broke after seeing Xenoblade and the Rainfall Games get hyped on IGN! I had no idea Nintendo made such games! To get video game news, to be honest, meant to go to IGN.com, Go to 1up.com, go to EGM, Game Informer" etc. To reach a wider audience with news about their games, Nintendo can't just put them on their own dedicated Nintendo news platform because by definition you'd have to go out of your way to watch it, and who would really go out of their way to watch it than a person already "into" Nintendo? It's much easier to glean through a gaming news website and see what's up, see a journalist's impressions, see information about the games be revealed over time and get written discussion about the games. I actually really liked the way Sonic Lost World was presented and is being handled now, announced with a tease in a Nintendo Direct, teased on Sega's Facebook, then fully revealed on IGN.com, videos put onto Youtube, discussed further on IGN, mentioned again in Nintendo Directs, more revealed on Sega's Facebook...

I know that Iwata has said Nintendo Directs are to ease current owners' concerns, so I am unsure if they intend the Directs to attract people who don't own the hardware yet. If it is to interest people in their games, Nintendo should still go through the gaming media.

edit: And now that I think about it, it almost concerns me about how Wonderful 101 is being presented now. It's going to get its own Nintendo Direct, but is it to get people who don't want it or who don't know they might want it to want it? Will gaming media write about the game, or will they be describing what they saw in a video that you can already see for yourself? Because it would seem that the people most likely to watch the Direct would already want the game and want to see more of it. I would think that revealing things over time and letting, say, the Nintendo dedicated staff of a gaming news website have things to write and hype up over time would be better to attract others.

Top Bottom