• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

OmahaG8

Damnit Nintendo. Stop splitting the VC between 3DS and WiiU. Make one be the other. What horseshit.

Oh boy, Donkey Kong on my 3DS! My younger self would be excited if this was for Gameboy Color.

Well, let's see how I did.

I predict the following.

USA
  • An exact release date for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • A Pokemon X/Y Bundle.
  • A final look at Mario & Luigi: Dream Team which shows off a new area in the game.
  • An exact release date for Mario Party for the 3DS along with a final title for it.
  • Localization for that Mario AR Picture APP, Denpa Men 3, and the AR Chibi Robo title.
  • A trailer of "hot upcoming third party 3DS games that includes Senran Kagura Burst, Etrian Odyssey Untold, and others.
  • A little bit about the Streetpass Plaza titles and the Streetpass Relay.
  • A confirmation on unified accounts/miiverse 3DS that says "Winter."
  • A small look at Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, and the White Deluxe sets.
  • Some kind of Virtual Console Announcement for the Wii U. Most likely Sega Genesis titles.

Well, that's my predictions. There you go.

And I was really far off. I only bolded the stuff that I got "right." I'm surprised they didn't have that NOE Indie trailer for NOA since I'm sure almost all of those games will be released here too. The things that surprised me were as follows.

• Mario/Luigi costumes for Rayman Legends.
  • Nintendo bringing over Layton V Wright to the US in 2014.
  • I knew that WL3 and SMB3 were coming to 3DS VC because they were out in Japan. Pretty happy with that shooter game and Tecmo Bowl. Those will be fun.
  • Animal Crossing Plaza looks neat. Opening the eShop now to get it.

FZZ

Banned
This was a good solid Direct. Nothing mind blowing, sure, but we got dates of upcoming games, we got new details about the games. We got an indie sizzle reel. We got some coll Animal Crossing tie ins. We got a new Nintendo IP. We got Luigi in Smash Bros

What's not to like?

North America one was poo, Europe and Japan had the better directs. We didn't get a solid WW release date or indie reel :(. Best thing we got was the announcement of the Wonderful 101 direct.

The amount of whining and outright delusions coming with each direct is hilarious.
GAF demands a new Monolithsoft RPG to be announced at the conclusion of every Nintendo Direct.

I'm legitimately looking forward to Animal Crossing U after seeing dem hi-rez villagers.

Sendou

Because they REALLY need to do something more than re-presenting the same, tired info that got no one excited the first time around. Fans want to be shocked and amazed by new announcements, it's what we like. ND is the perfect place to do that.

Nintendo alone have this amazing (and, at this point, completely undeserved) ND hype train fan base waiting for any crumbs that might surprise us... and they squander that hype every time. It's obvious we're all waiting on something to bring us back into the fold, to make us rush out to throw money at Nintendo, yet they continue to disappoint rather than just hold off on these until they can throw something previously unannounced out there. It's just not worth it at this point...

I'm out, no more of these. I'll just wait until I see GAF servers down, then I'll know it was real news.

Sendou recommends this as the background music when reading this post.

Toski

This is not what NDs are for. You are 100% to blame for your mismanaged expectations. Nintendo does not talk about games beyond the quarter they are releasing in, unless it's a tentpole announcement Direct around E3 or something like that. This is a maintenance Direct, there is no obligation to meet the ridiculous hype applied by crazy people with no sense of reality.

Are NDs for people who have some nostalgia with Nintendo, but are currently disillusioned with them? Are they for people who are marginally interested in purchasing a Wii U, but Nintendo hasn't shown them anything that will make them purchase it?

It seems these "let down" NDs are almost solely for Ninty fanboys and anyone who is disappointed can get out.

Kouichi

While I am disappointed in no news for Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong, nobody should have expected any new significant news since they said it was just a Direct focused on 2013 games. Besides we did get some awesome news out of it (PLvAA coming to US and Luigi Smash reveal.)

It would be like expecting a new game announcement at the Wonderful 101 Direct.

Don't know how people are disappointed. You got to hear Iwata say Australia in seemingly an Australian accent. http://youtu.be/Ctvuh2laNcM?t=12m35s

lol

stop its going to be amazing

mediocre at worst

Nothing with Maya Fey [and Luke Triton in it could ever be mediocre!

zfPYCLZ.jpg

Effect

Mirroring what Kyon said previously, I think we have a much better chance now that it has been announced for PC. Still, you never know.

I'd like to agree with you on XI for the 3DS, but SE still hasn't announced a localization for DQVII remake, and I feel like that's one they'll skip.

I'd take it sub or no. I just want it.

True PC is a option but I"m not even sure I want to even play this on the PC. It's not designed for it from what I can tell and even if they alter the UI it's likely going to feel off.

They might be better off just altering it so it's an offline game. From what I've seen of Dragon Quest X there isn't anything that makes me think that couldn't be done. Keep the same content it has now. Change the party hiring system from you hiring other player's characters temporarily to the system that is in Dragon Quest IX. It's already similar to what Dragon Quest IX has anyway. Those party characters don't talk, etc in the game and can be AI based instead of being directly controlled by the player. Then just toss in more npcs in the various towns to make up for the lack of real players.

Once that's done anything new that is added to the game can simply be DLC for the offline western version.

JoeM86

North America one was poo, Europe and Japan had the better directs. We didn't get a solid WW release date or indie reel :(. Best thing we got was the announcement of the Wonderful 101 direct.

This is why I watch all three :p That and I need to be on top of Pokémon news constantly

Meier

After the terrible sales news last week you figure they would at least make a half hearted effort to impress people. Like N64 games coming to the Wii U's virtual console. Oh well

I'll take a firmware update at this rate. Where is my second summer update at?

These things take awhile to produce I'm sure. I'd imagine all of the footage was recorded at least weeks ago.

I knew not to get too excited but I was hoping they'd drop a bomb about a price drop at the very end. It doesn't make sense, economically, to buy a Wii U right now. They HAVE to drop the price, so doing it now is just begging to lose $50-$100.

jmls1121

Banned
While I am disappointed in no news for Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong, nobody should have expected any new significant news since they said it was just a Direct focused on 2013 games.

I guarantee there will be those among us expecting game announcements on Friday.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I guaranty at least one person will complain about that too.

Lumyst

I assume the disappointments are because there were no big, obviously impressive titles announced?

-Anyways, I was pleased to see some graphical improvements to the two Zelda titles. Previously they looked bland but the graphical improvements are much better.
-Rayman looks fantastic! When comparing it to NSMBU, well, I wish Nintendo would try out that "epic" platformer style some time. Also, I'd say that game looks so great that having it be multiplatform is a positive development for all gamers.
-Got to see more of Art Academy! Glad to see a reaffirmation that Art Academy is a full fledged Wii U title, though is the eShop app free?
-Hopefully Nintendo can ramp up the release of Virtual Console titles.
-Where were the indie titles? Wish they showed them (didn't watch the EU stream though)
-Good to see more 3DS titles for 2014, I wouldn't want to see the 3DS be neglected while Nintendo tries to save the Wii U.
-Seems likely that an Animal Crossing U is in the works. Though likely a 2014 title? Hopefully they really mean it when they say they are over their HD hurdles, because the Wii U needs that game.

Hmm, so it would appear that there is lots of "hoping" and "wishing" that Nintendo would do things that would be obvious. Releasing more virtual console titles, making games that are obviously epic and can wow on first glance, etc. I will admit that many of their upcoming Wii U games seem like they are "tech demos"/practice on HD games. Thankfully they are working with Sega and Platinum to provide some exclusives for them while they come to grips with HD development.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Borin' stuff. Animal Crossing Plaza reeked a little too much of nervous dad like desperation. "You enjoyed that one with the bugs and the debts so much on your 3DS-adoodle... so maybe...hmmm? HMMMM?!"

Wonder how that summer updates going too with one month left.

23:00 The presentation has started. Iwata is decked out in traditional warrior clothes. Borrowed from Koei. Starting with Nobunaga's Ambition 3DS.
23:02 Improve your skills in battle. Play multiple scenarios. StreetPass, SpotPass. Nobunaga 3DS 9/19, 5040 yen.
23:04 Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva. Young boy Hinata stars. Joins a singer.
23:05 Tank battles. Anime voice actors. Metal Max 4 3DS 11/7, 6980 yen.
23:06 Puzzle & Dragons Z now, ported from smart devices. Match puzzle blocks to attack. New puzzle piece feature. Trade monsters, StreetPass. Puz-Dra Z 3DS Winter 2013.
23:07 Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2 has new hair and costume customizations. New voices. 11/28, 6279 yen.
23:09 Sonic Lost World now. Control Sonic more freely. 3 adjustable speeds.
23:10 Sonic Lost World Wii U 10/24, 7329 yen. 3DS 10/24, 5229 yen. Remote control data exchange.
23:12 One Piece 3DS now. Go fishing, fight enemies together w/ friends. 11/21, 5980 yen. One Piece special edition 3DS LL sets. Luffy Red & Chopper Pink 11/21, 25,980 yen. Special edition pre-orders start soon.
23:13 Epic Mickey 2 features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and other forgotten characters.
23:15 Epic Mickey 2 Wii U 9/26, 6090 yen. 3DS sidescroller 9/26, 5040 yen.
23:16 Monster Hunter Frontier Online G Wii U now. Over 100 monster types. 1000s of weapons.
23:17 MH Frontier G free to play to hunter rank 2. 60-day beginner's pack avail. 12/11.
23:18 Demae-can food delivery service starts on Wii U tomorrow, 8/8.
23:19 Rayman Legends Wii U now. Choose any world to play. Rayman action variety.
23:20 Mario & Luigi costumes for Rayman and friends. Legends 10/17. Wii Fit U 10/31.
23:21 Art Academy Sketch, a portion of the full game for Miiverse posting, on Wii U following this presentation for 400 yen. Full game coming later.
23:23 Wii Karaoke U free day on August 10th.
23:24 Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Shadow Triforce in the logo. Other world's Triforce.
23:25 Link turns into a drawing, travels between light/dark worlds. Ganon long-sealed, takes place in the distant future from LTTP. Different Link from LTTP.
23:26 Zelda: A Link Between Worlds coming early 2014. Wind Waker HD now.
23:27 Collect items, solve puzzles. Upgraded graphics. Events, WW controls tuned.
23:28 Zelda WW HD 9/26, 5985 yen.
23:29 Year of Luigi TV commercial w/ Luigi's Mansion 2, M&LRPG4, NSLU starts tomorrow.
23:30 Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS screenshots w/ Luigi. SMB2 (Lost Levels) Wii U VC today.
23:31 Mario Golf: World Tour 3DS delayed to 2014. Iwata apologizes.
23:32 Darumeshi Sports Shop, 3DS DL title. Multiple sports mini-games on sale.
23:33 Batting, catching, bat lathing, etc. Unlock buyable games/discounts through play.
23:34 Negotiate prices w/ Darumeshi. Available following presentation.
23:35 Daigasso Band Bros. now. Multiplayer on per-instrument basis, 72 types.
23:37 Take your picture and apply it to an in-game singer. Auto-tune voice with chart. Become a Producer and a Professional in Daigasso Band Bros. P for 3DS.
23:38 Become a Producer and a Professional in Daigasso Band Bros. P for 3DS.
23:39 Trailers available on eShop. Next: Animal Crossing news.
23:39 Animal Crossing Community on Miiverse.
23:41 Animal Crossing Wara-Wara Plaza on Wii U. Screenshot, QR code management.
23:42 Post your animals to Miiverse. Animal Crossing Plaza free following presentation, for a limited time only.
23:43 Wonderful 101 Direct on 8/9 at 11 pm, Japan Time. The presentation is now over.

WWHD September 26? I am so jelly.

I guess I'll never understand Nintendo's ambivalence to NA, especially when it comes to the Directs and specials/sales.

It's not as if the Wii U is selling gangbusters here either.

Frodo

This directs further prove the superiority of NoE in relation to NoA.

Also I want the Korg thing for my 3DS now.

Sadist

Isn't the Fall Nintendo Conference next month? Last year, it took place on September 13th.
I see some posters talking about this, but is there some confirmation that Nintendo will host something before TGS starts?

We got the 3DS bombs with Bravely Default, Fire Emblem Awakening, Monster Hunter Tri G and MH 4 in 2011. And in 2012 we had the Wii U Direct including the launch line-up + Bayo 2.

jmls1121

Banned
Borin' stuff. Animal Crossing Plaza reeked a little too much of nervous dad like desperation. "You enjoyed that one with the bugs and the debts so much on your 3DS-adoodle... so maybe...hmmm? HMMMM?!"

God Forbid Nintendo offer people things they like for free...so sad and desperate.

Darryl

Banned

the entire miiverse concept was strongly associated with animal crossing from the very start. i don't see how on earth you could be interpreting some form of desperation out of this announcement.

Revven

Also not all the Triforce shards are in the ocean in the original WW, there are a few that are in chests.

This is wrong, I just looked it up to be sure and yup, no Triforce Shards are in any of the special chests that the Triforce Charts are in in the original game. They are removing the Charts from those locations (or even, removing them completely). All the Shards are gotten in the ocean in the original game. This is a megaton, imo. (If you want to see for yourself here are the original Chart locations and Shard locations).

spliced

I have to laugh at Mario and Luigi in Rayman. Couldn't they have Wario and Yoshi or something.

All platformers must have Mario & Luigi! Donkey Kong obviously has 2 more characters to reveal, Mario and Luigi.

I guess North America aren't getting any eShop games?! The shipping charges are probably too expensive.

ugoo18

Well that was disappointing.

Nothing about Tropical Freeze or SM3DWorld, the two games that will almost certainly outsell WWHD. Hell that was one of the reasons people used to justify DKTF being worked on by Retro as opposed to either Metroid or a brand new IP because of pure selling power, yet in a direct specifically for titles coming out this year there was nothing >_<

Only could watch the NA stream but from the discussion here it sounds like the EU and JP didn't have anything about them either.

What was the point of specifically mentioning Rayman Legends?

Yet nothing about other arguably more important 3rd party titles like Watch_Dogs, which we haven't even seen a thing about the WiiU version apart from a tweet saying it's better than the PS360 version. Not even a mention of Blacklist as well which comes out this month.

Nintendo sometimes i swear..... -_-

Alrus

I guarantee there will be those among us expecting game announcements on Friday.

It's already beginning, Trinen said it would be "mostly" about W101 so people are speculating.

the entire miiverse concept was strongly associated with animal crossing from the very start. i don't see how on earth you could be interpreting some form of desperation out of this announcement.

Because Pie and Beans will find any sign of despair anywhere if it fits his agenda.

Wasn't it said that this was just going to focus on 2013 releases? Or be a small update kind of Direct? Not really getting the complaints.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
God Forbid Nintendo offer people things they like for free...so sad and desperate.

I imagine the people that really like Animal Crossing would prefer to spend time with their 3DS rather than logging in to some peripheral community app thing on another console entirely they most likely dont own. 3DS Miiverse integration would make a lot more sense but... well... yes. Nintendo is still figuring these things out.

Well, the Dark World in LttP2 looks pretty cool. Apart from that, very standard direct (about 8 minutes from the end). I don't know whether they're just ignoring the Wii U's problems or what.

Sakura

With that eshop baseball minigame collection thingy, was he saying you can actually talk the guy down into charging you lower prices? It reminds me of what Jeff was saying on the Bombcast a few weeks ago.

Sendou

Well that was disappointing.

Nothing about Tropical Freeze or SM3DWorld, the two games that will almost certainly outsell WWHD. Hell that was one of the reasons people used to justify DKTF being worked on by Retro as opposed to either Metroid or a brand new IP because of pure selling power, yet in a direct specifically for titles coming out this year there was nothing >_<

Only could watch the NA stream but from the discussion here it sounds like the EU and JP didn't have anything about them either.

What was the point of specifically mentioning Rayman Legends?

Yet nothing about other arguably more important 3rd party titles like Watch_Dogs, which we haven't even seen a thing about the WiiU version apart from a tweet saying it's better than the PS360 version. Not even a mention of Blacklist as well which comes out this month.

Nintendo sometimes i swear..... -_-

Let me explain something to you: this won't be the last Direct they will have this year. Of course the focus was on stuff closer to release (that does include stuff like Rayman Legends and WWHD).

Man...WWHD and ALBW looks amazing. Also that Sage in the ALBW trailer while referencing the events of ALttP mentioned his Grandfather's Grandfather's Grandfather, so like six generations I guess since ALttP.

Not

Banned
One of these days they'll have a direct where they announce a new IP, reveal Zelda U, and have a "challenger approaching" Smash video at the end and GAF will lose their minds

schemer.PNG

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can think of 160,000 reasons in the last 3 months that say they should do something MASSIVELY different, and given the audience these Directs attract there's no better place to start.

Do what, exactly? Talk about games that don't exist? They've already made their big announcements, 3D World, Mario Kart, SSB, DKCTF, X, etc. They don't have anything else. If you aren't interested in those games, there's not much they can do about it.

Are NDs for people who have some nostalgia with Nintendo, but are currently disillusioned with them? Are they for people who are marginally interested in purchasing a Wii U, but Nintendo hasn't shown them anything that will make them purchase it?

No, they are not for any of these people. They are not "for" anybody. They are just talking about the games coming out in the quarter. There is no agenda. They can not invent content to please people who are unpleaseable. You know what their 2013 and Q1 2014 games are already. They will talk about them again when they are closer to launch.

Banned
Lol. That hype train thing is looking more and more ridiculous with each direct. It's undeserved too. Unless Nintendo has firm release dates for 2013, new games to show off, a price drop or more footage for their 2014 games, they shouldn't bother with these directs.

Top Bottom