• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

I went into this expecting a few release dates and generally nothing Earth shattering.

I did get an NOA announcement of Phoenix Wright VS Professor Layton for 2014.

I like that.

Sandfox

Wasn't it said that this was just going to focus on 2013 releases? Or be a small update kind of Direct? Not really getting the complaints.

People always complain. If Nintendo were to announce a 3DS direct people would complain about them not talking about the Wii U.

Lol. That hype train thing is looking more and more ridiculous with each direct. It's undeserved too. Unless Nintendo has firm release dates for 2013, new games to show off, a price drop or more footage for their 2014 games, they shouldn't bother with these directs.

Its a good thing this direct had all of those in this direct lol

JoeM86

Well that was disappointing.

Nothing about Tropical Freeze or SM3DWorld, the two games that will almost certainly outsell WWHD. Hell that was one of the reasons people used to justify DKTF being worked on by Retro as opposed to either Metroid or a brand new IP because of pure selling power, yet in a direct specifically for titles coming out this year there was nothing >_<

Only could watch the NA stream but from the discussion here it sounds like the EU and JP didn't have anything about them either.

What was the point of specifically mentioning Rayman Legends?

Yet nothing about other arguably more important 3rd party titles like Watch_Dogs, which we haven't even seen a thing about the WiiU version apart from a tweet saying it's better than the PS360 version. Not even a mention of Blacklist as well which comes out this month.

Nintendo sometimes i swear..... -_-
Those games will be detailed in the ND in October. It's illogical for them to massively detail them when there's another one between now and their release

VanWinkle

Wasn't it said that this was just going to focus on 2013 releases? Or be a small update kind of Direct? Not really getting the complaints.

Are SM3DW and DKCR:TF not 2013 games anymore? Or did Nintendo say the direct was only for games up until October?

JoeM86

One of these days they'll have a direct where they announce a new IP, reveal Zelda U, and have a "challenger approaching" Smash video at the end and GAF will lose their minds

schemer.PNG

They had two of those in the ND today, a new IP and them revealing Luigi in Smash Bros.

Are SM3DW and DKCR:TF not 2013 games anymore? Or did Nintendo say the direct was only for games up until October?

They didn't say it was only for games up until then, it was just logical for the most part. Seriously, those games are still 2013

Banned
People always complain. If Nintendo were to announce a 3DS direct people would complain about them not talking about the Wii U.
That's because the 3DS is doing fine and the Wii U is pulling a titanic. Us early adopters want good reasons to keep our Wii U's and have stuff to look forward too. (Between now and Xmas I have 8 games I want for the Wii U so I'm good).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol. That hype train thing is looking more and more ridiculous with each direct. It's undeserved too. Unless Nintendo has firm release dates for 2013, new games to show off, a price drop or more footage for their 2014 games, they shouldn't bother with these directs.
They shouldn't bother with cheap advertising? Don't get into marketing.

I imagine the people that really like Animal Crossing would prefer to spend time with their 3DS rather than logging in to some peripheral community app thing on another console entirely they most likely dont own. 3DS Miiverse integration would make a lot more sense but... well... yes. Nintendo is still figuring these things out.

The whole purpose of putting the app on the Wii U is to encourage Animal Crossing fans to purchase the system

Whether or not that will be effective is another story, but Nintendo definitely has "figured it out" in the case of using one system to promote the other

ugoo18

Let me explain something to you: this won't be the last Direct they will have this year. Of course the focus was on stuff closer to release (that does include stuff like Rayman Legends and WWHD).

Blacklist is closer to release than Rayman and isn't going to be smothered by GTAV releasing in the same month.

At least a mention of it would have been nice in addition to that entire Rayman portion.

Especially considering that games like Blacklist rather than Rayman are probably being watched by other 3rd parties to judge if support is worth it.

Frodo

Do what, exactly? Talk about games that don't exist? They've already made their big announcements, 3D World, Mario Kart, SSB, DKCTF, X, etc. They don't have anything else. If you aren't interested in those games, there's not much they can do about it.

Seems to work for Sony. How many vaporware for the PS3 alone?

Not

Banned
They had two of those in the ND today, a new IP and them revealing Luigi in Smash Bros.

They didn't say it was only for games up until then, it was just logical for the most part. Seriously, those games are still 2013

I mean like a new 1st party console IP, and a NEW new character cmon Serebii

Sami+

Luigi was a gimme. What was the new IP?

/didn't watch

JoeM86

Oh come on Joe, Luigi in SSB is hardly an announcement.

Was it known beforehand? No. Ergo, it was an announcement. Just because it was almost guaranteed to happen doesn't mean it shouldn't be announced.

Luigi was a gimme. What was the new IP?

/didn't watch

Darumeshi Sports Store. A new IP for the 3DS. It's free to play and downloadable right now. May not be what people want with a new IP, but a new IP is a new IP...plus the mascot of it is a weird dog thing that'll probably end up getting representation elsewhere

I mean like a new 1st party console IP, and a NEW new character cmon Serebii

Don't move the goalposts when someone points out that those things happened. Please.

They can not invent content to please people who are unpleaseable.

Oh drop this already. They can announce new Smash Bros. characters, they can announce the games that people want to hear they are working on, they can give minor updates to Zelda U's progress, they can do a bunch of shit that would in fact please the so-called "unpleaseables".

Hale-XF11

I feel like I do a pretty damn good job these days of keeping my hype in check, but damn...that was like the anti-hype.

One of these days they'll have a direct where they announce a new IP, reveal Zelda U, and have a "challenger approaching" Smash video at the end and GAF will lose their minds

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/052/schemer.PNG[MG][/QUOTE]

Immediately afterwards there'd be a post saying that it was underwhelming because Aonuma mentioned Zelda U in the past so it's not a new announcement, and saying it was a failure without Metroid or Mother 3 US.

Also, them presenting Ace Attorney X Layton like some kind of treat, some kind of carrot on a stick when you should be making conscious efforts to localize titles and this shouldn't be a surprise is pretty irritating.

Not

Banned
Immediately afterwards there'd be a post saying that it was underwhelming because Aonuma mentioned Zelda U in the past so it's not a new announcement, and saying it was a failure without Metroid or Mother 3 US.

But it won't be me posting it

VanWinkle

There's obviously going to be another Direct and those games are coming at the end of the year.

But the ND said it was for games coming this year. Why should that exclude those games we want more info on, and thus have people question our disappointment like it was our fault for not "managing our expectations"? (I had very little, by the way.)

wrowa

The same will happen when Miyamoto's new IP will be announced, because, come on, we knew already he was working on something new.

Sendou

Blacklist is closer to release than Rayman and isn't going to be smothered by GTAV releasing in the same month.

At least a mention of it would have been nice in addition to that entire Rayman portion.

Especially considering that games like Blacklist rather than Rayman are probably being watched by other 3rd parties to judge if support is worth it.

Well fact is that Rayman Legends has a much bigger chance to actually be a success on Wii U than Splinter Cell ever will. This is the title they should be focusing on if we have to pick out one Ubisoft release this year.

FZZ

Banned
This is why I watch all three :p That and I need to be on top of Pokémon news constantly

That is actually what I usually do, well at least the North American and Japanese directs. But I didn't have a proper computer available this time, only my tablet, so I wasn't able to follow all of them. But otherwise yeah I get what you mean, the directs weren't even bad, and it makes sense to only focus on things coming out in the near future.

Also I love your site, and yeah Pokémon X & Y will be massive, good luck getting all that info dude.

Metal B

Oh drop this already. They can announce new Smash Bros. characters, they can announce the games that people want to hear they are working on, they can give minor updates to Zelda U's progress, they can do a bunch of shit that would in fact please the so-called "unpleaseables".
"We like you to see new stuff from Zelda U! Oh wait ... this map looks not very fun ... we have to change the animation there ... do we really need this enemy ... well .. .ah look at the stuff, we properly will cut with the final release!"

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Then five pages of griping that Nintendo didn't announce the Wii U SKU without the gamepad for $99.95

ugoo18

Those games will be detailed in the ND in October. It's illogical for them to massively detail them when there's another one between now and their release

They don't need to be massively detailed.

Im asking for them to simply be mentioned at least, especially the 3rd party games. For a console that is precariously hanging on to what little 3rd party support it has yet showing Rayman Legends a game which has been sent to die as opposed to at least mentioning the bigger ones like Watch_Dogs or even Blacklist which comes out this month is just ugh

Like i said before 3rd parties will be watching games like Watch_Dogs, Blacklist, ACIV, Arkham Origins and Ghosts in order to decide if supporting this console is worth it.

Rayman selling well means almost nothing to 3rd parties, it's games like the ones i listed above that will get their attention because they are not part of the traditional Nintendo offerings. A platformer selling well on a Nintendo console is not going to cause a stir compared to any of those titles selling well.

Blacklist especially is the irritating one, it's coming out this month for goodness sake.

Not

Banned
"We like you to see new stuff from Zelda U! Oh wait ... this map looks not very fun ... we have to change the animation there ... do we really need this enemy ... well .. .ah look at the stuff, we properly will cut with the final release!"

In other words, 2004 TP reveal, but the hype was still insane. 2009 Skyward Sword artwork. Hype through the roof. They just need to drop something and they're golden.

Not

Banned
Noticed Aonuma just posted something in Miiverse on Wind Waker.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlYz4eY2Q

Holy hell translate that sh*t

EDIT:
Translation: We tweaked the length and the speed of the game. Did we mention we tweaked the length and the speed of the game? Link has also a new sail that allows him to go faster. Also...Miiverse elements!

Please enjoy this 12 year old game to which we have added no worthwhile content.

Sounds accurate

Velcro Fly

I think by waiting so long they are missing an opportunity to drum up hype for the Wii U for the holidays. At least say something about the two games that are supposed to carry sales this holiday season. Instead we'll wait until late September or mid October and by then the launch of PS4/Xbone will be perhaps less than a month away and people will care less. I'm not saying spill it all, but new trailers and 30 seconds of talking about each is more than enough. They could go from announcing them in June to October without anything? They should be building hype every month. It should be something that you know is coming and can get hyped for, not something to beg and plead to see during these Directs. Again, it is a massive opportunity they are missing by not saying anything at all.

Hey AC has sold like 6 million copies worldwide? How about we put an app on a completely different console for it! No one is spending $300 on a Wii U for an AC app. No one. Miiverse should be on the 3DS already since they have been putting out communities for it for the past few months. It's disgraceful I can get on my Vita and pull it up but can't on my 3DS. Disgraceful.

All I got from the Wind Waker HD talk is that the HD graphics mean it's almost like a whole new game!

I liked what I saw of LBW though. We got to see what looks like at least one new dungeon, got to see the wall mechanic more, and got to see the Dark World! Really cool and I can't wait. That is how you build hype for and market a game.

Luigi in Smash isn't an announcement. It's an expectation. It's an announcement if he isn't in the game.

This wouldn't be without precedent. See: the vast number of screenshots and videos of Ocarina of Time that show elements not in the final game. Didn't stop people from getting hyped about Zelda 64, did it?

Metal B

October 31st
Thx. I guess we will see the new big update around that time. They wanted to introduce private Miiverse rooms and the possibility to export data to Miiverse (public and private Leaderboards) with Wii Fit U, so the Update has to hit the Wii U before or with the game.

Top Bottom