• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

SYBRgreen

Neo Member
Bablefish translation is that Nintendo changed sailing to something like GPS, where, you choose an island on your gamepad and just follow the route from island to island.

Can we get someone to confirm this? The weakest part of windwaker is by far the looong sailing distances, especially prior to having the warp spots.

Raitaro

Mario Golf :(

Yeah, what is up with that delay!? It was one my most anticipated 3DS games this year actually. Oh well, at least LttP 2 is looking better and better.

Also, does nobody find it frustrating that Nintendo is willing to use a cartoony and mostly 2D sprite based art style for the upcoming Mario RPG game, but that they refuse to use this art style for any of their main 2D Mario games (even though plenty of old school fans have been clamoring for that)? Maybe we should start a campaign or something.

And I'll keep saying it:
Lame that they - in what they themselves call the Year of Luigi - don't come up with the notion to release the alternate version of Super Mario World on the VC that has a distinct Luigi sprite. Also lame that they keep re-releasing the Nes version of Donkey Kong that misses one stage even when they have a complete version already lying around. Such things really baffle me.

Tripon

Can we get someone to confirm this? The weakest part of windwaker is by far the looong sailing distances, especially prior to having the warp spots.

From the official English post.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAAYUKk-U4JOeg

The Nintendo Direct video showed a glimpse of the Swift Sail (red sail) that allows the ship to go faster. Those of you who played the original may have noticed, but not only will this sail make the ship go faster, but it will always be full of wind, meaning you're now able to control the ship to any direction you want, without having to use the Wind Waker to change direction of the wind.

...Some of you may wonder whether this can still be called a sailing ship, but along with this sail and the nautical chart displayed on the Wii U GamePad that works like a car nav, it's now become much easier to travel to the small islands and salvage points scattered around the great sea. Even if you struggled with sea exploration in the original, I think you'll have a blast exploring the great sea once more.

Revven

So, the red sail makes changing wind directions useless.

In other words, it will be a late game item.

Well, they did say you didn't get it at the beginning of the game so... this isn't a surprise. But I can't imagine they'd have you go without it all the way until Tower of the Gods.

Muzy72

Banned
Not a single release date for their 2013 lineup, what the fuck Nintendo. Couldn't even give Wind Waker HD a release date when it's 2 months away?? And absolutely no mention of DKC or 3D World, bleh.

Worst Direct yet by far. I wasn't even expecting any megatons, all I wanted was footage and release dates of their 2013 lineup, but no, WE DON'T EVEN GET THAT. Instead we get a rehash of information we already knew. Faster sailing in Wind Waker, not like we knew about that 2 months ago or anything. The only good things about this Direct were Wario Land 3 (which was long overdue), Link Between Worlds info, and PLxAA (which I've heard isn't even that good =/).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Not a single release date for their 2013 lineup, what the fuck Nintendo. Couldn't even give Wind Waker HD a release date when it's 2 months away?? And absolutely no mention of DKC or 3D World, bleh.

Worst Direct yet by far. I wasn't even expecting any megatons, all I wanted was footage and release dates of their 2013 lineup, but no, WE DON'T EVEN GET THAT. Instead we get a rehash of information we already knew. Faster sailing in Wind Waker, not like we knew about that 2 months ago or anything. The only good things about this Direct were Wario Land 3 (which was long overdue), Link Between Worlds info, and PLxAA (which I've heard isn't even that good =/).

I don't think you remember a lot of Directs then...

Exile20

And it starts....

zlCfzRFG67sr-O7AGa

zlCfzRFG-z0bTxxzC7

Can someone make an Art Academy OT?

Calamari41

41 > 38
So will Art Academy actually teach me how to draw well, or is it just a robust tool for people who already know what they're doing?

Exile20

So will Art Academy actually teach me how to draw well, or is it just a robust tool for people who already know what they're doing?

The full game has tutorials and what not but what is released now in Japan and 2 days in NA are just some of the tool set.

Well, I got the 3DS game for free (Thanks NoE!), and with the games instruction, I was able to do much better than I could have imagined, given I have no drawing/painting talent whatsoever

FyreWulff

Just me though. I've always thought that Direct was problematic. On the one hand, I see how it can be the future of PR. The company speaks directly to the consumer (and cuts out the middle man) etc. BUT, as others have pointed out, Nintendo fans already know what's coming. So who are they reaching? Their fan base, that already know this stuff is coming, and will already be buying it? I guess maybe Nintendo fans that haven't bought the Wii U yet?

Uh

Everyone on Youtube.

which is most of humanity at this point

Unless people really think 2 hour long streams that you have to get up at the ass crack of dawn on a specific date that pretty much require you to be a hardcore gamer to give 3 shits about reaches more people than keywording a YouTube video and paying for it to be promoted on Twitter and Youtube.

Lumyst

And it starts....

Can someone make an Art Academy OT?

I still think they need to make a "Manga Academy" or "Anime Academy" or "Comic Academy" and have a "post to Deviantart" function, they need to get that money printing machine revved up (or is Japanese art not as popular as it was in the 90s?)

Baleoce

I'd imagine the full game has tutorials and whatnot. I'm just wondering though, can the Wii U do pressure sensitivity? Would that not hamper this if it can't? I'm still looking forward to it though. Miiverse art is going to be insane.

JoeM86

I've given up on being excited about Nintendo Directs. Not because of today. Truth be told, as soon as I heard there was going to be one today, I didn't even bother watching it (knowing it would be exactly what it was). I just think the way Nintedo is using Direct is so poor.

I mean, at this point they can keep using Direct to give out any info, even if it's nothing new or big. So basically, it's equivalent to getting an email update from something you subscribe to. Whatever. But I feel like this really devalues and undercuts Directs ability to get people exited to tune into it when they do this. I would rather they just reserve this for big announcements, or even if they are just for info updates, provide some actual concrete info (such as release dates etc.)

Just me though. I've always thought that Direct was problematic. On the one hand, I see how it can be the future of PR. The company speaks directly to the consumer (and cuts out the middle man) etc. BUT, as others have pointed out, Nintendo fans already know what's coming. So who are they reaching? Their fan base, that already know this stuff is coming, and will already be buying it? I guess maybe Nintendo fans that haven't bought the Wii U yet?

Even if we knew the stuff beforehand, we get more details in Directs. We get dates, we get footage.

It's not just a "disappointment", it's providing information that's necessary. Before today, did we know Wind Waker was coming to Europe on October 4? No. Did we know Animal Crossing Plaza existed? No. Did we know about Nintendo's new IP, Darumeshi Sports Store? No. Did we know about Luigi in Smash? No.

You act like absolutely nothing was revealed. Just because a game is revealed already also doesn't mean it shouldn't be showcased. They have new details and often get given their release date

Gartooth

Pretty lame Direct, only announcement that excited me was a western release for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney being confirmed.

Mononoke

Banned
Uh

Everyone on Youtube.

which is most of humanity at this point

Unless people really think 2 hour long streams that you have to get up at the ass crack of dawn on a specific date that pretty much require you to be a hardcore gamer to give 3 shits about reaches more people than keywording a YouTube video and paying for it to be promoted on Twitter and Youtube.

Well, I still think they are doing a poor job with it. But fair enough points on my other comments. To be fair, I wasn't saying that was a major issue, just something I always considered COULD be problematic. And IMO Nintendo isn't helping and are kind of steering Direct toward these problems. But of course, just my humble opinion that could be dead wrong.

jaz013

Banned
Good overall, should have been evenly presented (I supposed the Europe-only indies trailer is because 'murica, but I hope I'm wrong and it's only NoA incompetence).

I hope they keep this format, the only downside is the amount of saltiness and entitlement that trails the moment it finishes.

Maron

I was just hoping for some new Mario 3D World footage from levels that could hopefully ease concerns over the game a bit and show how great (I'm hoping) it can be. A bit bummed I didn't get that, thought it was a shoo-in since it's a 2013 title.

I knew it would just be updates on recent games.....smh at the people thinking new WiiU games were going to be announced, you guys never learn. They didn't even give updates on their biggest titles either like 3d world and DK.

Exile20

Well wow.
zlCfzRFG-70OGPBF0z

WOW and these came just 4 hrs after the direct. I can't wait to see the ones that like to put hours into their drawings. They can actually save them and come back to the drawing instead of before you need to keep your Wii U on and hope the electricity doesnt go out or you sibling turns it off.

Tookay

I knew this was mostly going to focus on stuff releasing shortly, but... is it a good thing that I feel validated for keeping my expectations so low?

The Wii U is in a pretty bad spot right now and it's been two months since E3; is it so much to ask for an update on their big fall games, particularly Mario 3D World?

JoeM86

I knew this was mostly going to focus on stuff releasing shortly, but... is it a good thing that I feel validated for keeping my expectations so low?

The Wii U is in a pretty bad spot right now and it's been two months since E3; is it so much to ask for an update on their big fall games, particularly Mario 3D World?

What good would it do to give an update? The games still coming. There's at least one more Nintendo Direct before launch, which will have a decent amount of information on it. It's only logical that this one be featured on the games coming between now and then

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got excited when I read about Nobunaga in the OP, but Jesus Christ, Koei isn't even trying. That looks like a straight up DS game or something. Way worse than the PSP games.

Top Bottom