• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2011

watershed

Banned
Is VVVVVVV like an extended version of 10 Second Run? Also can you die an infinite number of times without game over?

I am so close to buying this game even though I just bought MSF. It seems like a great game to play on the bus or train.

GeekyDad

Question: A little off-topic, but I couldn't find a dedicated OT. I'm wondering if I need to let my 3DS battery ever run completely down. With my iPhone, Apple recommends letting the battery completely lose its charge about once a month. Same thing with 3DS?

LayLa

Trip World & Kid Icarus 3D Classics coming to EU next week!
(Kid Icarus only for Registration Program people, coming to everyone else at a later date)

Celine

(Kid Icarus only for Registration Program people, coming to everyone else at a later date)
kermit.gif

Spocker

How I love living in Sweden, without a Club Nintendo or rewards program whatsoever :(

Javier

How I love living in Sweden, without a Club Nintendo or rewards program whatsoever :(
I believe you can just change the location on your 3DS to a country that has Club Nintendo and you can be part of it. AFAIK, Nintendo doesn't IP-lock these things.

Shiggy

As I was a bit bored after playing Skyward Sword, I decided to buy light trax for WiiWare. Dotstream for GBA was one of my favourites and light trax is exactly how you'd expect a 3D version of dotstream. Is Penta Tentacles just as great?

As I was a bit bored after playing Skyward Sword, I decided to buy light trax for WiiWare. Dotstream for GBA was one of my favourites and light trax is exactly how you'd expect a 3D version of dotstream. Is Penta Tentacles just as great?
I'd say no. There is literally nothing to it. I was very disappointed. Rotohex and Cubello are both better games. Even lilt line if you like the music.

Spocker

I believe you can just change the location on your 3DS to a country that has Club Nintendo and you can be part of it. AFAIK, Nintendo doesn't IP-lock these things.

I still would have to register retail games, and have a Club Nintendo account to be able to get the rewards. And you need to have an UK (or other participating country) address to get an account I believe.

Shiggy

I'd say no. There is literally nothing to it. I was very disappointed. Rotohex and Cubello are both better games. Even lilt line if you like the music.

I'm actually not buying WiiWare games that are cheaper on other platforms/via other means. That's why I don't have much choice on WiiWare when it comes to good titles.

Javier

I still would have to register retail games, and have a Club Nintendo account to be able to get the rewards. And you need to have an UK (or other participating country) address to get an account I believe.
Ah, you're right. If the retail games don't come with codes then there's little you can do about it, and importing the games from the UK is probably not worth the extra shipping.

In America, only the US and Canada have Club Nintendo benefits, yet the retail games have codes in every country, as there's only one version of the game in the entire continent. I live in Chile and gotten plenty of CN benefits, including some of the physical rewards which I've had mail-forwarded to me from the US.

Diortem7

snes games had a bigger resolution than the 3DS though

Oh, I didn't know that.

Edit: I was just wondering because I would like to have a copy of Super Metroid on my 3DS to go along with Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid Fusion, and eventually Zero Mission. :)

M3d10n

snes games had a bigger resolution than the 3DS though
You're thinking the DS, right? Because 400x240 > 256x224.

Question: A little off-topic, but I couldn't find a dedicated OT. I'm wondering if I need to let my 3DS battery ever run completely down. With my iPhone, Apple recommends letting the battery completely lose its charge about once a month. Same thing with 3DS?

There's nothing about that in the manual. The iDevices use a different kind of battery than the 3DS.

GeekyDad

There's nothing about that in the manual. The iDevices use a different kind of battery than the 3DS.

Alrighty. Thanks for the reply. So basically, treat it kinda like the original DS and be careful not to let it completely die out.

Boney

Banned
Is VVVVVVV like an extended version of 10 Second Run? Also can you die an infinite number of times without game over?

I am so close to buying this game even though I just bought MSF. It seems like a great game to play on the bus or train.

10 Second Run is a shit game so you can't go wrong with VVVVVVV

Folders, Nintendo, FOLDERS!!!

I have 30+ icons on my 3DS, and it ain't pretty having no way to organize them without having to painstakingly drag them around everytime I get something new. :/
This. Apps, VC (with sub-folders for NES/GB/GBA), and 3DSWare would be perfect.

I've wanted this shit since Wii.

sfried

10 Second Run is a shit game so you can't go wrong with VVVVVVV
Hey SCREW YOU 10 Sec Run is awesome. And so is Rabi x Labi.
Picked up Bionic Commando - almost bit on VVVVVV, still haven't played it, but can't justify it at that price when I can get it on Steam cheaper.
It's entirely justifiable. I have it on Steam, Humble Bundle, and the 3DS version is the one I play. Why? Because it boots up quickly and also has a nice layout of using the bottom screen for map. (Plus I hate having to boot up Steam just to run the game.)

Add to the fact this is actually an expanded from the PC version which debuted at $15 and you got yourself a good deal.

I live in austria. we don't have a club nintendo(well we do but it's shitty and has nothing to register games etc) but I set my 3Ds to germany and have a german club nintendo account with registered retail games. So you don't need a foreign adress. we do have codes in retail games though(not always but sometimes)
it's odd that you don't have a sweden nintendo club. isn't one of the NOE headquartes in sweden?

Some games used it for menus (the Mana games did iirc), but yeah. I think SNES on 3DS VC will happen eventually, as will Master System, MSX/2, Genesis and NeoGeo.

Desert Fighter/Air Strike Patrol used it also in the cut sense/mission briefings. but I think it wasn't a "real" high-res mode the SNES used but more an interlaced mode which doubled the vertical res to 478.

sfried

Desert Fighter/Air Strike Patrol used it also in the cut sense/mission briefings. but I think it wasn't a "real" high-res mode the SNES used but more an interlaced mode which doubled the vertical res to 478.
I'm still wondering how intelaced would look on an LCD screen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can test it. I have a 42" LCD TV, a SNES and desert strike sitting here.

edit: wait, why should it look different than on CRT?
A CRT can actually be driven interlaced (the beam doing interlaced scans). An LCD cannot (well, unless it was deliberately designed to, which most are not).

To see how an interlaced output would look on an LCD, you just need to watch an interlaced video - those are still found around.

M3d10n

A CRT can actually be driven interlaced (the beam doing interlaced scans). An LCD cannot (well, unless it was deliberately designed to, which most are not).

To see how an interlaced output would look on an LCD, you just need to watch an interlaced video - those are still found around.

OTA broadcast is interlaced (even in HD: it's 1080i). LCDs just deinterlace the signal, the same way a PC deinterlaces interlaced media.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
OTA broadcast is interlaced (even in HD: it's 1080i). LCDs just deinterlace the signal, the same way a PC deinterlaces interlaced media.
You're right, I did not take into account deinterlacers. But some desktop players can be told not to deinterlace (or don't deinterlace by default) - if used with an interlaced video they give a fairly good idea of the effect.

Serous buyers remorse with VVVVVV. I knew I didn't like it, but was hoping that the 3D effects would be awesome. And wooooooooooooooooooow are they lousy. It's basically: here is your text box popping out from the screen.

watershed

Banned
Serous buyers remorse with VVVVVV. I knew I didn't like it, but was hoping that the 3D effects would be awesome. And wooooooooooooooooooow are they lousy. It's basically: here is your text box popping out from the screen.

Welcome to the one bane of DD, you can't return or trade in purchases. I took a risk in buying VVVVVV, luckily I'm having a lot of fun with it. What's your issue with the game?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wasn't Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon a DSiWare game that was unavailable for transfer/purchase on the 3DS?

I ask as it appears to be on the 3DS eShop now, and I wasn't sure if folks were already aware of that.

Top Bottom