• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2010

Aru

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next month (VERY bare):

Super Famicom:
-Sutte Hakkun (March 2nd, Nintendo)
-Romancing Sa-Ga 2 (Square Enix)

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Crazy Climber (HAMSTER)

Is Nintendo abandoning VC or what ?
Not many releases since the beginning of the year.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Aru said:
Is Nintendo abandoning VC or what ?
Not many releases since the beginning of the year.

It seems like they want to release a small amount of games in the first half of the year and then ramp it up in the latter half.

Doesn't make sense, but hey, it's Nintendo.

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next month (VERY bare):

Super Famicom:
-Sutte Hakkun (March 2nd, Nintendo)
-Romancing Sa-Ga 2 (Square Enix)

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Crazy Climber (HAMSTER)
Romancing Saga 2 is the big release for the month (From what I've heard, it does Phantasy Star III's multiple generations idea right), but Siliconera pointed out something interesting with Sutte Hakkun, it was the first game developed by IndiesZero, the developers of Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou/Retro Game Challenge (DS). It's also a title that was originally released for the Satellaview. At first, this tidbit made me excited at the thought of Nintendo emulating a Satellaview title... Until I read the game's surprisingly detailed Wikipedia page.

The cartridge version was released in 1999 to counter this lack of availability, but many stores had already stopped importing Super Famicom games, and availability ended up being more limited than before.
Basically, it was the most popular game on Satellaview, so Nintendo re-released it in their Nintendo Power kiosks, then they finally re-released the NP version as a normal Super Famicom cartridge in 1999.

markot

Banned
Caesar III said:
I second that !

It's so much fun for 2 bucks. Especially the birds reaction when he hits himself :D

SPOTTO!

You have to rescue the Duck Presidents daughter from ghosts! How could you not want it?!

I actually chuckled for like 5 minutes at the 'so this is their haunt' bit >_< hehe, haunt.

mclem

markot said:
SPOTTO!

You have to rescue the Duck Presidents daughter from ghosts! How could you not want it?!

I actually chuckled for like 5 minutes at the 'so this is their haunt' bit >_< hehe, haunt.

Are you a bad enough duck to rescue the duck president's daughter?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm fine with the VC as long as I get

Ogre Battle 64
Harvest Moon 64
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy III

before it ends.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I meant to post this in here instead of Castlevania's thread:

Fuck off Konami, kindly, will ya?
Once again Rebirth games are deliberately not published in Italy.
No Gradius, no Contra and... no Castlevania.
WHY WHYYYYYYYYY?!

Damn, I remember to have gotten Rebirth through changing my region to Switzerland but I honestly don't remember if I risk loosing my Nintendo Points or whatever in doing so (I have 600 points left). Fuck.
If some Australian folk can help me out, maybe someone changed their region to swith to UK/EU (since TG16 games weren't released at the time in AUS iirc).

Maybe Capndrake or someone at Nintendo Life could try to get Konami to comment on the matter, why these games are not published in selected regions?
Just to rub it in I can even see the title being advertised on the Wii Shop's "This week" column! >_<

sfog

Dash Kappei said:
What BS is this one?
I only remember Baseball Stars 2 AES/MVS (pretty awesome).

Baseball Stars Professional is basically a less-refined version of the Neo-Geo Baseball Stars 2. It's kind of pointless now, since its sequel is better.

Dash Kappei said:
I meant to post this in here instead of Castlevania's thread:

Fuck off Konami, kindly, will ya?
Once again Rebirth games are deliberately not published in Italy.
No Gradius, no Contra and... no Castlevania.
WHY WHYYYYYYYYY?!

Damn, I remember to have gotten Rebirth through changing my region to Switzerland but I honestly don't remember if I risk loosing my Nintendo Points or whatever in doing so (I have 600 points left). Fuck.
If some Australian folk can help me out, maybe someone changed their region to swith to UK/EU (since TG16 games weren't released at the time in AUS iirc).

Maybe Capndrake or someone at Nintendo Life could try to get Konami to comment on the matter, why these games are not published in selected regions?
Just to rub it in I can even see the title being advertised on the Wii Shop's "This week" column! >_<

Ouch. =[ I was surprised to see Castlevania Rebirth on the Australian shop yesterday, since we didn't get Contra Rebirth.

But yeah, you still lose all your Wii Points if you switch over to another region. Sucks.

Dash Kappei

Infernal Monkey said:
Ouch. =[ I was surprised to see Castlevania Rebirth on the Australian shop yesterday, since we didn't get Contra Rebirth.

But yeah, you still lose all your Wii Points if you switch over to another region. Sucks.

Ouch indeed.
Luckily I remember that the other time I changed the Wii's region from Italy > Switzerland, all my points remained intact, probably because of the italian Switzerland area (Cantonticino and all), I dunno. But I'd still prefer to be sure the game is up on the Swiss shop before doing the switch.

Are there any Swiss-GAFfers?

edit: or maybe you don't lose your stored points just because the currency (Euro) is the same? Maybe you actually reset your account only if you switch between Australian dollars, pound sterlings and Euro, so it doesn't really concern the region but only the currency.

wsippel

Banned
Shin'en (Nanostray, Art of Balance, Fun! Fun! Minigolf) seems to be working on some F-Zero/ Wipeout clone thing for WiiWare right now. There was a small photo in a German magazine recently, and it looks pretty damn good as far as I can tell. Well, it's Shin'en, so that's to be expected...

I didn't notice this mentioned in the thread yet (if anything it not being mentioned demonstrates yet another problem with the Wii Shop service or at least the PR*).

Over at Gamefaqs I coincidently stumbled on the fact that Gradius rebirth got the update in America on Feb 8th (or at least it was noticed then). From what I am aware this news has gone fairly unreported on the internet (well the big Nintendo sites who talk about everything are silent on this).

Apparently Europe also has the update.

For those of you who don't remember why this update was important. It adds the following to the game:
* Added BGM
* Score adjustments
* New ranking board (because of the score adjustments)
* Improved visuals
* Shows number of play times
* Stage select adjustments

Enjoy, Gradius Rebirth fans.

Come to think of this noticing this right before the months end probably wasn't the best timing on my part.

*-If the PR doesn't tell the only other way you can find is to check the Wii by checking downloaded games and noticing it saying update and honestly, how many people will do that?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starwolf_UK said:
*-If the PR doesn't tell the only other way you can find is to check the Wii by checking downloaded games and noticing it saying update and honestly, how many people will do that?

All three systems do a pretty bad job of this.

The PS3 and 360 get it right in that if you launch the game, they check for a patch and auto-patch the game... but they never tell you what the patch actually does.

The Wii gives you absolutely no sign that your games have been updated except when it's posted on the internet that your games have been updated. As you said, virtually no one goes through their own purchase history looking for patched games. That doesn't even make sense as a use case.

Amalthea

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Ouch indeed.
Luckily I've remebered than the other time I changed the regione from Italy > Switzerland all my points remained intact, probably because of the italian Switzerland area (Cantonticino and all), I dunno. But I'd still prefer to be sure the game is up on the Swiss shop before doing the switch.

Are there any Swiss-GAFfers?

Yes, Castlevania Rebirth can be downloaded from the Swiss WiiWare channel.

BooJoh

Just got a few DSiWare games I've been on the fence about, and for the first time I had to clean out the mini fridge, and frankly I'm not too thrilled about it.

Given that we got a Wii SD solution, I would think they could do the same thing for DSi.

Provider

BooJoh said:
Just got a few DSiWare games I've been on the fence about, and for the first time I had to clean out the mini fridge, and frankly I'm not too thrilled about it.

Given that we got a Wii SD solution, I would think they could do the same thing for DSi.

Yeas, this needs to be implemented wii-style right away, I have like 20 games in my SD card and I can't play them cuz when I play DS I wanna play something quick and I'm not deleting something and then waiting for a game to transfer back to the system.

Somnid

BooJoh said:

I was expecting this rather soonish but I guess not. Not really sure what's up, maybe not enough people buy and own DSiWare for it to be a high priorty issue or something. But the system has been out for a year and 4 months with no major firmware revisions.

Dash Kappei

Tyrant_Onion said:
Yes, Castlevania Rebirth can be downloaded from the Swiss WiiWare channel.

Cheers mate :D

I was thinking, maybe I didn't lose my stored points just because the currency (Euro) is the same? Maybe you actually reset your account only if you switch, say, between australian dollars, pound sterlings and Euro, so that it doesn't really concern the country you're switching from but only its currency and that of the country you're switching to.

What do you guys think?

Amalthea

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Cheers mate :D

I was thinking, maybe I didn't lose my stored points just because the currency (Euro) is the same? Maybe you actually reset your account only if you switch, say, between australian dollars, pound sterlings and Euro, so that it doesn't really concern the country you're switching from but only its currency and that of the country you're switching to.

What do you guys think?

I have no clues if you loose your points by switching the country but Switzerland isn't part of the EU and we still have another currency.

upandaway

Looks like I'll finally have something to download next Friday.

From what I've seen though, looks like Megaman 10 again will not be able to reach Megaman 3. I wish Capcom had some passion for making it the best one instead of just another one.

Dash Kappei said:

What do you guys think?
From what I'm aware the only region change that had points deletion implemented was (to and from) Australia (in any case it is only reported and known one). I would guess the reason is to do with accounting (I believe Nintendo of Australia and Nintendo of Europe are independent subsidiaries despite them sharing their Wii Shop and Wii games), picture something like: user buys 1000 points in $AU then goes to Europe to spend them to buy an 1000 point title. Since the 1000 point title is bought in Europe that is &#8364;10 on the accounts (35% to Nintendo, the rest to the publisher) but if the points cost less than &#8364;10 to start with that leaves Nintendo out of pocket in net terms (once you take everything back to NCL but this happens to some extent naturally due to currency rate variations etc) but as far as subsidiaries go NoE basically lose &#8364;10 while NoAU are up however much 1000 points is in $AU.

I don't know if it was ever done is large enough numbers to make an impact on the accounting books (is it cancelled out by unspent points in people accounts and what about the loss made on physical point cards as those have retailer margins and production costs, how do these effect things) but I'm all ears for anything more plausible.

Just wanted to say Aura-Aura Climber is absolutely amazing.

Best bang for your points I've encountered since I bought my DSi at launch. Highly, highly recommend it.

I don't follow all the restrictions and company going ons usually so is there any way that WWF No Mercy and Intenational Superstar Soccer 64 won't be able to be VC games???

Dash Kappei

Starwolf_UK said:
From what I'm aware the only region change that had points deletion implemented was (to and from) Australia (in any case it is only reported and known one). I would guess the reason is to do with accounting (I believe Nintendo of Australia and Nintendo of Europe are independent subsidiaries despite them sharing their Wii Shop and Wii games), picture something like: user buys 1000 points in $AU then goes to Europe to spend them to buy an 1000 point title. Since the 1000 point title is bought in Europe that is €10 on the accounts (35% to Nintendo, the rest to the publisher) but if the points cost less than €10 to start with that leaves Nintendo out of pocket in net terms (once you take everything back to NCL but this happens to some extent naturally due to currency rate variations etc) but as far as subsidiaries go NoE basically lose €10 while NoAU are up however much 1000 points is in $AU.

I don't know if it was ever done is large enough numbers to make an impact on the accounting books (is it cancelled out by unspent points in people accounts and what about the loss made on physical point cards as those have retailer margins and production costs, how do these effect things) but I'm all ears for anything more plausible.

Ohhh... kewl. :p
Also, you're explanation seems much more plausible than mine, so I'll go with yours :)
And LOL at me thinking Switzerland was part of EU, I think I actually remember now that years ago the people voted the EU off and it was a pretty big deal since the result was close to a landslide. Or maybe I'm mistaking things once again :lol

Top Bottom