• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2010

bryehn

Stumpokapow said:
i'm surprised no one has mentioned flipper so far, which was a very highly anticipated dsiware game :/

I just checked it out and wasn't very impressed at all. First of all, I'm pretty sure the description said there's 20 levels total and I just played 8 of them in 10 minutes, 5 of which were basic tutorial levels.

Also it runs at 10-15 fps like a java phone game and lacks a smooth transition between camera views. The pixel art is chunky and bland and everything HUD-related has a really basic "cheap iPhone app" look to it.

The real levels I've played all seem to have multiple solutions and give you bonuses based on how many items you use to complete them. The engine seems poorly coded and highly exploitable, I've been able to glitch my way through at least one level. Hopefully the last 12 stages are somewhat challenging and not broken.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bryehn said:
I just checked it out and wasn't very impressed at all. First of all, I'm pretty sure the description said there's 20 levels total and I just played 8 of them in 10 minutes, 5 of which were basic tutorial levels.

Also it runs at 10-15 fps like a java phone game and lacks a smooth transition between camera views. The pixel art is chunky and bland and everything HUD-related has a really basic "cheap iPhone app" look to it.

The real levels I've played all seem to have multiple solutions and give you bonuses based on how many items you use to complete them. The engine seems poorly coded and highly exploitable, I've been able to glitch my way through at least one level. Hopefully the last 12 stages are somewhat challenging and not broken.

wow that's VERY disappointing to hear.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so what's the protocol for releasing an older game on dsiware? would it be conceivable for a developer to add some disposable "ds specific" functionality to an nes game, for example, and get it certified for release? or is nintendo blocking that sort of activity and holding the v.c. service on dsi/its successor as a future option?

just curious. i know rayman was released, which was an interesting case, i thought.

bryehn

Mejilan said:
Any impressions of Aura-Aura-Whatever?

Just beat stage 5 in Score Attack and I love it. It's simple score-based fun that uses a number of familiar platforming elements. Getting S Rank (at least it seems like there's one) on every level by getting to the far reaches should take some practice and it's already getting tough to secure A Rank every time.

Well worth the $2 for sure. It's like DK King of Swing and the pointer parts of Mario Galaxy mixed with some Bird Strike and the barrel system from Donkey Kong Country.

I wonder who actually developed it, great game and the music's pretty good too. I'm guessing Skip Ltd..

Oh and there's an endless mode too.

Somnid

beelzebozo said:
so what's the protocol for releasing an older game on dsiware? would it be conceivable for a developer to add some disposable "ds specific" functionality to an nes game, for example, and get it certified for release? or is nintendo blocking that sort of activity and holding the v.c. service on dsi/its successor as a future option?

just curious. i know rayman was released, which was an interesting case, i thought.

DSi and WiiWare are the same, they can release anything as long as there is no emulation layer. This is kinda funny since it means Capcom actually ported Phoenix Wright to Wiiware.

Ranger X

Nuclear Muffin said:
No VC is completely unacceptable, unless they're planning something for the Media Summit on Thursday. Whatever it is, it better be good...

Regardless how we spin it it's innacceptable just because of the fact there's tons of games submitted for a VC release that are never published.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Somnid said:
DSi and WiiWare are the same, they can release anything as long as there is no emulation layer. This is kinda funny since it means Capcom actually ported Phoenix Wright to Wiiware.

so does this mean that the cost of porting a game to something like dsiware would be considerable enough that the risk of not selling enough copies of it over the life of the system would stay a developer's hand from doing so?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
bryehn said:
Just beat stage 5 in Score Attack and I love it. It's simple score-based fun that uses a number of familiar platforming elements. Getting S Rank (at least it seems like there's one) on every level by getting to the far reaches should take some practice and it's already getting tough to secure A Rank every time.

Well worth the $2 for sure. It's like DK King of Swing and the pointer parts of Mario Galaxy mixed with some Bird Strike and the barrel system from Donkey Kong Country.

I wonder who actually developed it, great game and the music's pretty good too. I'm guessing Skip Ltd..

Oh and there's an endless mode too.

Much appreciated. Seems like the better deal over Flipper, in any event!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Agent Unknown said:
What does this mean exactly? Bit confused.

Take a game's ROM (basically the game data), make a DS emulator for it, package it into a DSi game. Not allowed. This is basically how all of those cheap $20 for 20 game compilations are made. Game needs to run natively on the DS with no middle man.

Somnid

Ranger X said:
Regardless how we spin it it's innacceptable just because of the fact there's tons of games submitted for a VC release that are never published.

I don't think so. From what it seems there may be lots of VC games that could potentially be released but not very many get submitted and I'm sure most of it is because of old licensing and ownership. A great example is VCA, there are literally thousands of arcade games but doesn't mean Nintendo has thousands to choose from, only about 3 publishers actively support it and only for a very select line of machines (mostly 8-bit). Nintendo doesn't appear to be the bottleneck except on their own machines with their own franchises.

beelzebozo said:
so does this mean that the cost of porting a game to something like dsiware would be considerable enough that the risk of not selling enough copies of it over the life of the system would stay a developer's hand from doing so?

The benefit of emulation is that once one game works 80% of the others will too with little trouble. Those small throw-away titles depend on the emulation of bigger games to get working. They'll still do the big games if they think there is money in it but they can't start a mini virtual console service within DSi or WiiWare and that's probably why that policy is there in the first place.

Ranger X said:

It's because Nintendo only wants to release quality VC titles.

Yes I'm being sarcastic

Willenium

so i just bought a brand new black DSi... and i see no offer of free DSi points?? I remember hearing about this, but i don't see anything anymore... is the offer gone? :( i was disappointed to see no GBA slot, and now this is just another kick in the teeth :\ Somebody tell me I'm wrong! Tell me how to get those points!

rpmurphy

Willenium said:
so i just bought a brand new black DSi... and i see no offer of free DSi points?? I remember hearing about this, but i don't see anything anymore... is the offer gone? :( i was disappointed to see no GBA slot, and now this is just another kick in the teeth :\ Somebody tell me I'm wrong! Tell me how to get those points!
Have you tried connecting to the shop? If you don't get points at that point, then yeah, they probably did stop the offer.

Willenium

rpmurphy said:
Have you tried connecting to the shop? If you don't get points at that point, then yeah, they probably did stop the offer.

i connected and linked my stupid club nintendo account to it... damn it, this sucks :\

the only reason i bought this thing is because the R button on my DS Lite stopped working and i couldn't progress in Chrono Trigger. I want GBA functionality back you bastards :(

Willenium said:
With all due respect, the DSi has been out for a while now. If you didn't know there wasn't a GBA slot included, that's your own fault.

As for the free points offer, that ended in October. I can understand how you wouldn't have been aware of that though. Easy mistake to make there. Especially when some European poster posted about getting a DSi with free points just last week.

sfog

Willenium said:

The offer ended at the end of October, at least in the US. I think it may still be going in Europe, but I'm not positive on that.

donny2112

If you feel like you got a raw deal, take it back to the store, explain that you had no idea it didn't play GBA games, and get another DSLite. No camera, slightly smaller screen, GBA functionality, no DSiWare. There are reasons to get a DSi and reasons to get another DSLite. You seem to be on the DSLite side.

Still no GhostSlayer impressions? Kind of looking forward to it after Escapee Go!

Shame about Flipper, too. Looked quite unique. Anyone know if IS did Aura-Aura?

Willenium

Cosmonaut X said:

Did you do any research before buying the thing? Or even glance at the packaging?

i literally only bought it because my lite broke. i would have bought another lite if i had known this one was such a step backwards. i assumed "newer = better," which is usually the case for nintendo, especially with their handhelds.

IN SHORT:
DS LITE BROKE. BOUGHT DSi NEXT DAY. DISAPPOINTED.
would you like me to draw a diagram?

BooJoh

Willenium said:
i literally only bought it because my lite broke. i would have bought another lite if i had known this one was such a step backwards. i assumed "newer = better," which is usually the case for nintendo, especially with their handhelds.

IN SHORT:
Giving up a slot that plays games for a system with zero new releases in exchange for a download service with brand new games being developed for it hardly seems like a step backwards to me.

Do your research on both systems, then if you still hate the DSi, go exchange it for a Lite. Otherwise keep the DSi and find a GBm or SP+ for your GBA games.

Somnid

Willenium said:

IN SHORT:

The hardware is better. Download some Trajectile/Reflect Missile or something and quit bemoaning the past.

I must say, Nintendo Week is just getting better and better in their cheesiness. I loved the CSI: Miami parody they did last week and the ocean one this week.
I do hate how they say Wii console and DSi system though.

Willenium said:
IN SHORT:

*shrug*

You bought blind, made an assumption about what you were getting and got bitten. The system has been on the market for yonks, the box displays the hardware and it would have taken all of five minutes to check the DSi specs online to find out exactly what it offered.

EmCeeGramr said:
so in case you don't read the giant bomb quick look thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19928281&postcount=4556

yeah

sooooo i have 2000 N-points and want to know if there's anything i should put into my new DSi

anything bad or mediocre would disgrace eiji aonuma's sharpie, so choose wisely, otherwise these points go into my wii

thats insanely awesome

i believe everyone's dsi should have pictobits on it. it has maybe the best soundtrack ever. plus i recall one of the giantbomb guys praising it on 1up yours in days of yore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dragonballjoseph said:
I must say, Nintendo Week is just getting better and better in their cheesiness. I loved the CSI: Miami parody they did last week and the ocean one this week.
I do hate how they say Wii console and DSi system though.

Honestly I think it has a lot of potential. It's clearly got a younger or at least different audience than the Major Nelson's stuff or Qore or anything like that, and that's something you've got to accept going in, but it's pretty well made.

The biggest problem I have with it is that the Nintendo Channel still isn't convenient. Despite the recent improvements in UI and performance, I still find I have to buffer a lot more than even high bitrate HD video on PSN or Xbox Live, and it still takes too long to get from my Wii's main menu to the content. I still watch the show on Youtube when it gets dumped, but I'd definitely follow it more if it was convenient on the console.

The reason I mention this gripe is because the target audience for the show is very clearly people who are a little less informed about video games, especially kids and families. Any kind of UI barrier that stops people from checking it out is going to affect Nintendo Week more than Major's Minute or any of the PSN video content. A lot of people on GAF bemoan the "NXE" UI on the 360 for putting Microsoft advertorial video content front and center, but the fact is that no one who uses their 360 on Live misses this stuff and that contributes to people being aware of products and services coming out.

So why are some folks here expecting some sort of VC related development/release at the Media Summit?

Man God said:
Take a game's ROM (basically the game data), make a DS emulator for it, package it into a DSi game. Not allowed. This is basically how all of those cheap $20 for 20 game compilations are made. Game needs to run natively on the DS with no middle man.

I'm aware retail compilations usually are emulator based (I remember hearing that the PS2 and XBox Taito compilations supposedly used MAME, if true I wonder how common that practice is) but didn't realize there was a no-emulation policy for DSiware, thanks for the clarification.

Somnid said:
I don't think so. From what it seems there may be lots of VC games that could potentially be released but not very many get submitted and I'm sure most of it is because of old licensing and ownership. A great example is VCA, there are literally thousands of arcade games but doesn't mean Nintendo has thousands to choose from, only about 3 publishers actively support it and only for a very select line of machines (mostly 8-bit).

Understandable but it's rediculous that it's been almost a year since VCA's launch and we still don't even have Donkey Kong proper up. And you'd think we could get something a little more interesting than inferior/overpriced versions of games that are already available on VC in either better or cheaper forms (Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, Altered Beast) . Space Harrier on VCA is a nice exception in quality/effort though.

Lijik

Just beat all of the main stages in Flipper. I guess the main challenge is finding all of the stars and unlocking the star levels, but if the star levels are just like the main ones I don't think I'll bother. The level design gets sloppy in the third world, the fishbowl was placed right next to the starting location at least three times. After that the game starts to pick up but by the time the levels aren't consistently braindead easy its over.

Its graphically and aurally charming, at least in my opinion, but its way too short and most of the levels don't present any challenge.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lijik said:
Just beat all of the main stages in Flipper. I guess the main challenge is finding all of the stars and unlocking the star levels, but if the star levels are just like the main ones I don't think I'll bother. The level design gets sloppy in the third world, the fishbowl was placed right next to the starting location at least three times. After that the game starts to pick up but by the time the levels aren't consistently braindead easy its over.

Its graphically and aurally charming, at least in my opinion, but its way too short and most of the levels don't present any challenge.

That's two strikes for Flipper :(

Agent Unknown said:
So why are some folks here expecting some sort of VC related development/release at the Media Summit?

I think it's a combination of:
1) Nintendo related prediction threads are totally braindead and 99% of the predictions in the other threads are either already true, already false, or stupid.
2) The VC has been in a bit of a lull recently and everyone expects it to break out of the lull
3) We know WiiWare is there and WiiWare's pre-release showcase was at this event a few years ago.
4) Final Fantasy 1 NES VC announcement was announced at GDC last year.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:
Honestly I think it has a lot of potential. It's clearly got a younger or at least different audience than the Major Nelson's stuff or Qore or anything like that, and that's something you've got to accept going in, but it's pretty well made.

The biggest problem I have with it is that the Nintendo Channel still isn't convenient. Despite the recent improvements in UI and performance, I still find I have to buffer a lot more than even high bitrate HD video on PSN or Xbox Live, and it still takes too long to get from my Wii's main menu to the content. I still watch the show on Youtube when it gets dumped, but I'd definitely follow it more if it was convenient on the console.

The reason I mention this gripe is because the target audience for the show is very clearly people who are a little less informed about video games, especially kids and families. Any kind of UI barrier that stops people from checking it out is going to affect Nintendo Week more than Major's Minute or any of the PSN video content. A lot of people on GAF bemoan the "NXE" UI on the 360 for putting Microsoft advertorial video content front and center, but the fact is that no one who uses their 360 on Live misses this stuff and that contributes to people being aware of products and services coming out.

Its the big hurdle for even informed or experienced consumers. I recently read in an Iwata investor Q&A that they intend to outsource this kind of stuff in the future. That would be a great move as there are companies who can do a much better job than Nintendo on IU effectiveness and efficiency.

Somnid

Agent Unknown said:

Nintendo has a habit of talking about their online services at GDC and this has gone on since about 2005.

2005 - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection announced
2006 - VC announced
2008 - Wiiware launch info, Pay-to-Play
2009 - Virtual Console Arcade, Wii Firmware 4.0, US DSiWare launch info

It's also the only time they ever give them more than a Monday press release or sneak them into their half-assed release calendar. Since it appears as if Nintendo will use the Media Summit as a highlighter over GDC this year (GDC isn't much of press event) then we can reasonably expect it to show up there if at all.

Some weaker evidence is that there's also a lot of strangeness with the DD lineups this week but that could be coincidental. Wii hasn't gotten a major firmware update in quite some time and they usually do about 1 a year (DSi also hasn't gotten more than a point release). Also new VC console announcements usually come early in the year.

NeoGeo - announced February 2007
MSX - announced February 2007
Master System - announced January 2008
Commodore 64 - announced February 2008(EU)/February 2009(NA)
Virtual Console Arcade - announced March 2009

If there wasn't a DD related announcement it would be an outlier.

^^^

Makes sense, thanks for the timeline. Hopefully we'll get something interesting.

Ah, the original Nintendo WFC announcement way back in '05. Seems just like yesterday that I was overjoyed Animal Crossing would finally be online. :) Where'd the time go?

donny2112

Downloaded Ghost Slayer, and finished the first difficulty. Basically, if you've beaten all the levels in Wii Sports Resort 1 vs. 100, then you have a very good idea of how this game plays, though this has a lot more of the strategic enemies (wait for them to attack, block, then strike) than in most of those WSR levels.

Summary:
It's good. It's worth $6. If you liked the 1 vs. 100 levels in WSR, you'll probably like this, too.

Enemies:
3-4 types with 2-3 sub-types for most.

Basic soldier - 1 hit, no defense
Sword soldier - 2 hit, has sword, but doesn't wield it well. I think these were the green guys in WSR, IIRC.
Stone soldier - 3 hit, has sword and uses it pretty well. Just like WSR, you have to swing along their sword angle to attack.

Blue Siren - Wait for them to attack, block, attack. Sometimes they'll get in your face, and you'll have to waggle to shake them off.
Red Siren - Faster version of Blue Siren.

A boss type one that I won't spoil, and the final boss, which has different abilities than any of the others.

8 levels. 3 difficulties. You have to finish all of Difficulty 1 to unlock Difficulty 2. This is in Mission/Story mode. There's also a High Score mode, but I haven't tried that out.

Graphics are better than Dreamcast, though, probably GameCube levels. $6. This is pretty good for $6. :p

Levels are on-rails, though you can look a little left and right by pointing the sword there. First couple of levels are really easy, and you'll probably be wishing the higher difficulties were unlocked for a level after beating that level. It ramps up after that, though.

You have HP, which determines how many times you can be hit. You start with 3, and it increases after a few levels. You also have a rank, but I don't know if that really does anything. I unlocked one of the three unlockable swords. I didn't notice really anything different about it.

I probably should emphasize this again. Controls like swordplay in WSR. i.e. very well. You calibrate at the start of the level the same way. Block the same way.

Levels are a few minutes each with usually ~25 enemies per level. If you lose all your HP, you have to start at the beginning again, though. Basically three level "types" with different effects to differentiate, but the game is in getting through the enemies, not exploring the levels.

It's not going to blow you away with greater swordplay than WSR. This is the swordplay from WSR. It's WSR 1 vs. 100 with zombies and ghosts for $6. If that sounds like you'd like it, you probably will. :)

Edit:
P.S. There is a control option for non-Motion+ users, but it just sounds so clunky (i.e. Hold B and rotate remote to get an angled attack vs. just slashing in that angle with Motion+). I'd really recommend using Motion+ to play this game. :)

sfog

The US arcade VC isn't quite dead yet...

ESRB update:

Zaxxon

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Mild Fantasy Violence

Rating summary:
This is an arcade-style space shooter in which players control a small fighter craft that shoots lasers at enemy ships, missiles, and space fortresses. Viewed from an overhead perspective, players navigate through the fortresses while avoiding numerous obstacles (e.g., force fields, turrets, incoming laser fire). Ships and objects explode into yellow and red bursts when hit.

Top Bottom