• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

I fired it up on my homebrewed Wii yesterday but the emulation was slightly glitchy. So I'm thinking of treating myself to this on my other Wii as a VC download since I need to use or lose some Stars before the end of the month.

How is it? Emulation okay? Anything I need to know or take into account?

beje

Banned
Has this been posted here? (mock if old): ATV Wild Ride from Renegade Kid (NDS) reworked as a 3DS eShop title:

http://youtu.be/pqJarF4hQaU

CPfRq.png

Looks really awful actually, DS-level geometry only goes that far no matter how many extra effects you apply on top.

watershed

Banned
So they touched it up a bit. It still looks awful for a 3ds game. But its understandable as this is clearly an enhanced port of a ds game. I just hope their eshop fps for the 3ds looks a lot better than this, I want Shin'en level stuff.

beril

This isn't a Nintendo thing, at least not directly. Nintendo requires publishers to have their games rated by the OFLC before they can release 'em in Australia, but sending your game for OFLC certification is way, way more expensive than the equivalent ratings systems for other regions and the potential audience is much smaller, so for indie devs/publishers it's just not worth the money.

It's not really that much money (USK is more expensive IIRC, though Germany is a bigger market), and really shouldn't be an excuse for even the smaller indies, let alone bigger devs like Frozenbyte. You only need to sell a few hundred copies to make back your money, and even if you don't it's probably worth it just to avoid bad will.

watershed

Banned
It's not really that much money (USK is more expensive IIRC, though Germany is a bigger market), and really shouldn't be an excuse for even the smaller indies, let alone bigger devs like Frozenbyte. You only need to sell a few hundred copies to make back your money, and even if you don't it's probably worth it just to avoid bad will.

Thanks for clearing this up as I've often seen the rating requirement and cost associated claimed as a major impediment to working with Nintendo.

n64coder

I fired it up on my homebrewed Wii yesterday but the emulation was slightly glitchy. So I'm thinking of treating myself to this on my other Wii as a VC download since I need to use or lose some Stars before the end of the month.

How is it? Emulation okay? Anything I need to know or take into account?

Have you played OOT on the VC? I bought Majora's Mask but haven't played it. I'm almost done with OOT on VC. It worked well for the most part. The only issue I have is that aiming with the bow/long shot is not easy if you're not using Z-targeting. It's a bit jumpy. I had a heck of time in Gerudo's fortress trying to shoot the arrows at the statue with the 4 eyes while moving because of the controls.

Is this the glitchy-ness that you're referring to? I would imagine the emulation for OOT/MM to be the same.

Have you played OOT on the VC? I bought Majora's Mask but haven't played it. I'm almost done with OOT on VC. It worked well for the most part. The only issue I have is that aiming with the bow/long shot is not easy if you're not using Z-targeting. It's a bit jumpy. I had a heck of time in Gerudo's fortress trying to shoot the arrows at the statue with the 4 eyes while moving because of the controls.

Is this the glitchy-ness that you're referring to? I would imagine the emulation for OOT/MM to be the same.

No, I have not. I have it on the N64, the Wind Waker bonus disc and on the 3DS so haven't felt the urge to get it on the Wii VC as well.

The glitchiness I was referring to was some garbled audio and visual elements in the looping 'video' before one loads the game proper ['attract screen'?] but I only got as far as the name entry screen as it was late and I didn't feel like starting it that late in the evening.

Has this been posted here? (mock if old): ATV Wild Ride from Renegade Kid (NDS) reworked as a 3DS eShop title:

CPfRq.png

Looks really awful actually, DS-level geometry only goes that far no matter how many extra effects you apply on top.

This is why I have little faith in their FPS title at the moment. Jools had been talking up the graphical improvement since the game was announced to be coming to the eshop. I waited patiently for the upgrade to become apparent, but it never did. It still look like crap...

zigg

The only issue I have is that aiming with the bow/long shot is not easy if you're not using Z-targeting. It's a bit jumpy. I had a heck of time in Gerudo's fortress trying to shoot the arrows at the statue with the 4 eyes while moving because of the controls.
This is why I still play these games on my N64. The GCN CE has the same problem (well, that, and MM is crashy, which I understand is not a problem on VC.) I guess it's a difference in dead zone with the controllers or something along those lines.

OoT 3DS, on the other hand, is perfect. That's one reason I'm rooting for MM 3DS.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

CPfRq.png

On top of that, it only runs at 30fps. I think the original DS version ran at twice that.

It seems like they just haven't gotten the hang of the 3DS hardware. I would not expect a 3D game from them that doesn't look like shit anytime soon.

joedick

The Cave on Wii U eShop is coming next week (January 22) according to Ron Gilbert twitter.

Jan 22 is a Tuesday. Looks like Nintendo is allowing more flexibility on digital release dates. I guess you can release a game whenever and they'll pimp it on Thursday. I suppose they've been doing this with retail games, but nice to know for digital-only stuff.

I'm excited for The Cave after reading a nice write up in one of the final Nintendo Power issues. For whatever it's worth, IGN weren't as keen on it in their preview.

Jan 22 is a Tuesday. Looks like Nintendo is allowing more flexibility on digital release dates. I guess you can release a game whenever and they'll pimp it on Thursday. I suppose they've been doing this with retail games, but nice to know for digital-only stuff.

I'm excited for The Cave after reading a nice write up in one of the final Nintendo Power issues. For whatever it's worth, IGN weren't as keen on it in their preview.

They added games on Tuesdays before on eShop last month so yeah I like this trend of releasing on launch dates and not just when the eShop updates

Makes sense. Shuts down on Wii, relaunches on Wii U (and continues on 3DS). I'm sure they're phasing out their vestigial shops (Wii / DSi) for a "unified-ish" eShop experience on their more vibrant platforms.

Roto13

CPfRq.png

Ugh. Looks like shovelware. I expect more from Renegade Kid. This actually hurts my perception of them a little.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

I just gotta to say I bought Gunman Clive yesterday and I'm suprised how good is it. I hope is selling well for you.

joedick

Makes sense. Shuts down on Wii, relaunches on Wii U (and continues on 3DS). I'm sure they're phasing out their vestigial shops (Wii / DSi) for a "unified-ish" eShop experience on their more vibrant platforms.

That sounds like a great idea...if they just place all the games on the eShop, and not piece them out every few weeks.

Also, I still have Wii points to use, so hopefully they don't just shut down the Wii Shop channel and place the contents on the eShop.

Tyeforce

No, I found out firsthand that when doing a second transfer it gives you the option to not transfer Miis and Wifi settings, which instead remain on the source Wii. Of course, you can transfer them if you'd like, but then they do overwrite.
Oh, really?! This is awesome!! Then I can transfer the purchases on my second Wii to my Wii U!! And maybe, just maybe, I can find someone who would be willing to sell Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy to me, since transferring like that is possible...

Drago

I dunno about that

This is a Japan rumor. Japan actually has a decent 3DS VC!

Anyways, the sooner we get to Wii U VC the better. I never really got anything on the Wii VC so once the Wii U one is up and running, I'll try to catch up on games I missed.

MrMan2k3

Oh, really?! This is awesome!! Then I can transfer the purchases on my second Wii to my Wii U!! And maybe, just maybe, I can find someone who would be willing to sell Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy to me, since transferring like that is possible...

Yep, and because I forgot to mention it before, any downloadable games that are on both the source Wii and the target Wii U will not be transferred. They will still be playable on the source Wii after the transfer.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I don't think this has been posted here - there's some speculation that the Wii VC may shut down in Japan soon:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/32987

Like I said, this is just speculation.
It's worth pointing out that all NWR notes is that the "Upcoming Virtual Console Games" page is now gone.

That is, it seems reasonable to assume that the Wii is getting no more VC titles.

Anything else is really just baseless speculation...

serplux

I feel kinda bad for Nintendo. I think they expected for December and January to have a lot more content, but most of the titles (Toki Tori 2, Zen Pinball, Bit Trip Runner 2, Cloudberry Kingdom) got delayed. On the flip side, it has a more jam-packed spring now.

gerudoman

I don't think this has been posted here - there's some speculation that the Wii VC may shut down in Japan soon:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/32987

Like I said, this is just speculation.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would Nintendo eliminate first specific games such as the DKC trilogy instead of getting rid of all of them at one time? This being said, I'd love to see SNES games in my 3DS, that was one of the reasons why I bought it...

jgkspsx

ATV looks reasonably fast. For $5 I will buy it. For $15 I won't. Anywhere in between I'll think about it. I still feel ripped off by Bomb Monkey, which just isn't fun to me, but I really love them for giving us the extra Mutant Mudds levels free.

schlew

ATV looks reasonably fast. For $5 I will buy it. For $15 I won't. Anywhere in between I'll think about it. I still feel ripped off by Bomb Monkey, which just isn't fun to me, but I really love them for giving us the extra Mutant Mudds levels free.

Watsham said the price is $8 on Twitter.

Top Bottom