• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

I fired it up on my homebrewed Wii yesterday but the emulation was slightly glitchy. So I'm thinking of treating myself to this on my other Wii as a VC download since I need to use or lose some Stars before the end of the month.

How is it? Emulation okay? Anything I need to know or take into account?
As far as I recall N64 emulation on the Wii VC is pretty spot on, I didn't notice any issues when I played it. The only down side is the difference I the control layouts between the N64 controller and the classic controller

The Cave on Wii U eShop is coming next week (January 22) according to Ron Gilbert twitter.

https://twitter.com/grumpygamer
Awesome, any news on how far off the PAL date is?

If they release Street Fighter 4 and Res Evil Mercs for 20ish I'll be double dipping. If Bit Trip Saga can come out at much less then retail no reason other games can't. Also my pile of 3DS games I've bought retail and digital will be growing it seems :/

Watsham said the price is $8 on Twitter.
Will buy for that price , Renegade Kid is on a roll with eShop support.

Watsham said the price is $8 on Twitter.

Glad he came to his senses and priced the title at the lower end of what he was suggesting. I think $7 or $5 would have been the sweet spot, but I definitely think I'll pick it up for $8 anyway. Actually it depends whether it comes out before or after Sonic Racing Transformed.

sakipon

Fire Emblem still doesn't have the brand power in North America that it does in Japan. A demo probably wouldn't affect Japanese sales one way or the other.

True. And now that I think of it, Style Savvy never got a Japanese demo either. Just seemed a bit strange they'd spend the time to compile demos for Japanese games yet never release them for Japanese gamers.

serplux

Don't know if old. Apparently DLC is up for Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth. I believe this is the first DLC available in the Wii U Eshop?

Edit: From that site that Went Nintendo.

M-PG71C

I don't think this has been posted here - there's some speculation that the Wii VC may shut down in Japan soon:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/32987

Like I said, this is just speculation.

Yeah, I seen that. It might, but in the event of, I decided to go on and download Ogre Battle 64 and Rondo of Blood (And Casltevania Adventure Rebirth too! But that's Wiiware). Been meaning to, never did, but now is a good time to splurge.

Might need to add a few other titles too here in the next week or so.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's not really that much money (USK is more expensive IIRC, though Germany is a bigger market), and really shouldn't be an excuse for even the smaller indies, let alone bigger devs like Frozenbyte. You only need to sell a few hundred copies to make back your money, and even if you don't it's probably worth it just to avoid bad will.

Most of the devs that skip AU/NZ don't have goodwill to lose, because no-one knows their game exists and it doesn't sell in any region. Of course, I'm talking from experience with WiiWare/DSiWare here, where no-one bought anything.

beril

Most of the devs that skip AU/NZ don't have goodwill to lose, because no-one knows their game exists and it doesn't sell in any region. Of course, I'm talking from experience with WiiWare/DSiWare here, where no-one bought anything.

I just find it rather odd that a bunch of games from much bigger devs than me apparently haven't been released over there. When you're trying to build some awareness for your game online it can't help to exclude regions even if it's not a massive market; especially not english speaking countries where people are likely to be reading and posting on international sites. And surely it can't be that hard to sell enough to cover a 900$ fee.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I just find it rather odd that a bunch of games from much bigger devs than me apparently haven't been released over there. When you're trying to build some awareness for your game online it can't help to exclude regions even if it's not a massive market; especially not english speaking countries where people are likely to be reading and posting on international sites. And surely it can't be that hard to sell enough to cover a 900$ fee.

Is that the price now? It was much higher last time I dealt with it.

Anyway, I think a big part of devs skipping AU/NZ is that they know people can (and will) just switch the region on their 3DS and access everything from the EU store, so maybe they don't think they have anything to lose. Whenever it's reported that a game isn't releasing in AU/NZ the reports always try to imply that it's Nintendo's fault, so I guess they don't have to worry about negative spin or whatever.

I do appreciate those devs who don't forget about us, and I especially applaud the Fractured Soul devs for making the Aussie price equivalent to the NA price as a deliberate reaction to the markups we usually get.

Is that the price now? It was much higher last time I dealt with it.

Anyway, I think a big part of devs skipping AU/NZ is that they know people can (and will) just switch the region on their 3DS and access everything from the EU store, so maybe they don't think they have anything to lose. Whenever it's reported that a game isn't releasing in AU/NZ the reports always try to imply that it's Nintendo's fault, so I guess they don't have to worry about negative spin or whatever.

I do appreciate those devs who don't forget about us, and I especially applaud the Fractured Soul devs for making the Aussie price equivalent to the NA price as a deliberate reaction to the markups we usually get.
One big one that I remember back in 2011 when Shantae Riskys Revenge came to DSiWare in PAL. Wayforward announces over Twitter its coming out to PAL, I ask if its coming out Aus as well and they basically say its not at this stage but say they don't know why its not coming out here or something. Just pretty much dancing around the whole we don't think its worth it to release it down there :( Lost abit of respect for Wayforward that day as they usually come across as a very approachable company.

The worst thing was with the DSi was that you couldn't change your region to UK and were stuck with Aus or NZ. It just sucks that you want to buy these games and give them your money but you can't just because of the country you were born/live in. In the past we were fine with handhelds but now with the 3DS region locked to even retail software it just makes things even harder and more frustrating.

The one that always got me that we never got was Contra Rebirth on WiiWare, no idea why Konami didn't bring that down here. I'm guessing it had to do with Contra never being a thing down here and we used to get Probotector instead. Heck Contra 4 didn't even come out here (another Wayforward title as well).

@MUWANdo

Banned
I actually emailed WF about Shantae, way back when, and they said the AU/NZ release had been delayed because they wanted to submit it at the same time as a bug-fix for the EU release, neither of which ever ended up happening.

I actually emailed WF about Shantae, way back when, and they said the AU/NZ release had been delayed because they wanted to submit it at the same time as a bug-fix for the EU release, neither of which ever ended up happening.
yeah it was just BS, I went back through their Tweets at the time, looks like both yourself and myself (@flamecondor) where really grilling them over it. I love this tweet from them

WayForward ‏@WayForwardTech
AU fans, we know you're frustrated. I can assure you that we're doing the best we can. If you have any questions, I'll try and address them

And nothing ever came of it. I would love to support the Australian market, I would but if we are going to miss out on too many games and not just rubbish but good games then I'm going to have to keep doing things like change my Wii U to the UK region or get a US 3DS cause it just sucks being a Nintendo fan in Australia at times :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fire Emblem still doesn't have the brand power in North America that it does in Japan. A demo probably wouldn't affect Japanese sales one way or the other.

Though I don't expect the trend to continue because of the relative weakness of the 3DS in America the other 5 released FE games in the US outsold their Japanese counterparts, some by quite a bit.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be if Nintendo decided to translate the original Fire Emblem and release it on the US eShop for the VC as a way to get people excited for the release of Awakening. And then I thought that was silly cause its NOA and that would require effort and thought and actually thinking that the VC could be used as a useful tool to help promote upcoming games. I mean its not like they tried anything like that for Metroid Prime 3 back in 2007.

Roto13

Speaking of Fire Emblem, I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be if Nintendo decided to translate the original Fire Emblem and release it on the US eShop for the VC as a way to get people excited for the release of Awakening. And then I thought that was silly cause its NOA and that would require effort and thought and actually thinking that the VC could be used as a useful tool to help promote upcoming games. I mean its not like they tried anything like that for Metroid Prime 3 back in 2007.

A localization for a game like that would be too expensive to sell for $5.

A localization for a game like that would be too expensive to sell for $5.
Well it would be an import game and they usually price them higher. Also given that they don't have any costs to get these games rated anymore in the US. Plus any localisation would be for all English speaking regions. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to. I just know they won't

Another one I was thinking of that would kinda make sense and I could almost see this happening, in the lead up to Pokemon X & Y being release, release the original Pokemon games to the eShop, add in online play, add a premium to the price to compensate for any extra work needed to get that working and they would make a killing.

Roto13

Well it would be an import game and they usually price them higher. Also given that they don't have any costs to get these games rated anymore in the US. Plus any localisation would be for all English speaking regions. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to. I just know they won't

A localization for a game like that would be too expensive to sell for $6.

@MUWANdo

Banned
A localization for a game like that would be too expensive to sell for $6.

Not really, there's not a lot of text and the technical requirements would be relatively minor. The VC really should have been an outlet for all sorts of rare/untranslated shit, I dunno who dropped the ball there.

Another one I was thinking of that would kinda make sense and I could almost see this happening, in the lead up to Pokemon X & Y being release, release the original Pokemon games to the eShop, add in online play, add a premium to the price to compensate for any extra work needed to get that working and they would make a killing.

Re-releasing the OG Pokemon games is absolutely not gonna happen, short of a(nother) complete remake. Even just emulating local link cable support is really difficult.

Not really, there's not a lot of text and the technical requirements would be relatively minor. The VC really should have been an outlet for all sorts of rare/untranslated shit, I dunno who dropped the ball there.

Re-releasing the OG Pokemon games is absolutely not gonna happen, short of a(nother) complete remake. Even just emulating local link cable support is really difficult.
It would be difficult I agree but surely there must be some work around they can find for it. If they can work it out they would be sitting on a gold mine with the original Pokemon games. heck they could sell them for 10 each and people would buy them (we would complain for sure but they would sell)

TheBear

Hey I said PAL not Aus, there is a reason I set my region to UK and not Aus when I set my Wii U up because at least the UK gets more then what we get down in Australia when it comes to the digital Nintendo releases.

You speak the truth. Is it possible to get the premium discount on the UK store from an Aus Wii U? It's the only reason I'm holding out for games on the Aus eShop.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You speak the truth. Is it possible to get the premium discount on the UK store from an Aus Wii U? It's the only reason I'm holding out for games on the Aus eShop.

I don't own a Wii U so I'm not 100% on this, but from what I gather you can't freely switch regions on Wii U in the same way you can on 3DS--whatever country you chose when you set up your NNID is the one you're stuck with.

Yeah mines an Aus Wii U and I set it up as UK from the start and have been able to get my 10% back, but I'm not sure how it works if you've already set it up as Aus. Not sure if you can change regions once you've got your Nintendo Network ID set up on it

TheBear

Yeah mines an Aus Wii U and I set it up as UK from the start and have been able to get my 10% back, but I'm not sure how it works if you've already set it up as Aus. Not sure if you can change regions once you've got your Nintendo Network ID set up on it

You can't, but you can setup a seperate NNID on the same machine and buy stuff off that account and switch regions.

As far as I recall N64 emulation on the Wii VC is pretty spot on, I didn't notice any issues when I played it. The only down side is the difference I the control layouts between the N64 controller and the classic controller.

Thanks very much :). I had another quick bash on it via emulation last night and the glitchiness was too irritating to continue so this is good to hear. I'll have a look at its listing on the Wii Shop to see if it will accept my CCPro. I'm sure it will but best to check. I would check on the NOE UK site but that's still pretty borked *rolleyes*.

redcrayon

The one that always got me that we never got was Contra Rebirth on WiiWare, no idea why Konami didn't bring that down here. I'm guessing it had to do with Contra never being a thing down here and we used to get Probotector instead. Heck Contra 4 didn't even come out here (another Wayforward title as well).

As a Contra/probotector fan from the UK, I can tell you that 'Contra' was always called 'probotector' for the NES, GB and SNES games here too, and also Contra 4 didn't make it over here from NA either.

Shame as its a cracking game, I imported it in the end, the benefits of the region-free DS! It's certainly better than Contra Rebirth, which has some nice set pieces, but is just a bit short for me.

Chopper

As a Contra/probotector fan from the UK, I can tell you that 'Contra' was always called 'probotector' for the NES, GB and SNES games here too, and also Contra 4 didn't make it over here from NA either.

Shame as its a cracking game, I imported it in the end, the benefits of the region-free DS! It's certainly better than Contra Rebirth, which has some nice set pieces, but is just a bit short for me.
Contra 4 was great. 2 player Contra 4 was in-fucking-credible.

I don't see why the Pro would help with the aiming problem. i'd expect it to be very similar to all other control options on the Wii in this regard.

I wasn't mentioning it in respect of the 'aiming problem'. I merely wish to check that it will accept the CCPro as a control device. I understand that as the game was designed for the N64 and I cannot use an N64 controller with the Wii that the emulation will not be a 100% perfect 'N64' experience.

gerudoman

Finally beat Mutant Mudds' Grannie levels today. Difficult enough to keep you entertained for a bunch of hours repeating levels, never frustrating and without ridiculous difficulty spikes. Even if it's quite pricy I think it's been a good investment.

Tenki

Anyone knows what happened to this?

nintendolifeeshop.jpg

Top Bottom