• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

Robin64

Contra III... why aren't we getting Super Probotector - that's the version I grew up with as did all of Europe
that's what I want to know!

If you really want to play the laughable 50hz version, it's probably already on the Wii's shop as Super Probotector.

tsab

It's funny though Contra 4 had the probotector sprites as unlockable but never released here

If you really want to play the laughable 50hz version, it's probably already on the Wii's shop as Super Probotector.

It is there.

It's funny though Contra 4 had the probotector sprites as unlockable but never released here
Wayforward specifically included them just for us Europeans too...damn you Konami...

Aside from those, there's also a few minor early GB games that I suspect they won't bother with at this point (Solar Striker, F1 Race, Play Action Football, Vegas Stakes, Top Rank Tennis, Wave Race, Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie).
I can understand most of those being sports games, unsupported features (F1 Race is 4 player...given 2 player doesn't work for GB games...) or rights issues (Yoshi Cookie) but Solar Striker, that omission baffles me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm super happy we're getting the superior NTSC version of Comtra III/SP, but I wonder if that probably means there's no upgrade program available

Then that means it's not out in the French and German eShops. It's certainly not in the former.

Might be because you're getting a localized version instead of the standard one in english?

L~A

I'm super happy we're getting the superior NTSC version of Comtra III/SP, but I wonder if that probably means there's no upgrade program available

Might be because you're getting a localized version instead of the standard one in english?

I doubt it, but it's not like I'll be able to check : everything's in English on my system (and more importantly : I don't plan on buying this :p)

By the way, I believe a 3DS version for Kung-Fu Rabbit was confirmed a while ago, right?

BdYydeNCQAA0M7Z.png:large

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Since there isn't really a Wii U mega thread...

How are the updated Wii Sports titles? I discovered that I have just over $30 on my account and was thinking of grabbing Bowling.

zroid

Banned

How are the updated Wii Sports titles? I discovered that I have just over $30 on my account and was thinking of grabbing Bowling.

They're a little simplistic, but if you want more Wii Sports, then this'll be exactly that, just online. The region-based rankings are pretty cool too. I think $50 is a lot to ask for all five, but on the other hand the fact they're being sold individually means you can just buy the one or two you like most and will probably get your money's worth.

Also there should still be a 24 hour free trial available which gives you access to Tennis, Bowling, and Golf.

Weng

I only tried Tennis and Bowling but if you really liked Wii Sports (Resort) I think you can't go wrong with it. For more competent opinions on the game there is a Wii Sports Club OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706355

Edit: Also, what Zeer0id said: you can use the 24 hour free trial to try all 3 sports and each time a new sport is added you will get another 24 hour free trial for all sports.

tolkir

Next week on Japan eShop

uxwGK.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sooo, is Mario Picross any good or should I just wait and see what's next?

A lot of people consider it one of the best Picross games, but I don't know why yet. I haven't grabbed it myself...But that's mostly because I have a hard time doing Picross puzzles in a virtual environment. I own 3 or 4 Nishio books to get my Picross/Nonogram fix. I make too many notes while I work, and unless Mario Picross doesn't penalize you for wrong entries (for working out recursive solutions), I won't bite.

inthegray

Tiny Cartridge talked about it in its last podcast. It is scheduled for January, but no one really believes it.

it's not that we don't believe it's coming out in January; it's that we can't believe the game is actually coming out at all -- we've had our hearts broken on Umihara Kawase coming to the states before, and we won't rest easy until it's actually in our possession.

Gazoinks

A lot of people consider it one of the best Picross games, but I don't know why yet. I haven't grabbed it myself...But that's mostly because I have a hard time doing Picross puzzles in a virtual environment. I own 3 or 4 Nishio books to get my Picross/Nonogram fix. I make too many notes while I work, and unless Mario Picross doesn't penalize you for wrong entries (for working out recursive solutions), I won't bite.

Hmmm. Think I'll pick it up. I could use a solid puzzle game to break up the many RPGs on my 3DS.

n64coder

Hmmm. Think I'll pick it up. I could use a solid puzzle game to break up the many RPGs on my 3DS.

Do you have any of the Picross e titles? My favorite is Picross e3 because of the Mega Picross bonus puzzles. Be warned that some people don't care for the Mega variation.

bjork

It does, you're on a timer and the penalty stacks. iirc the first is 2:00, then 4:00, then 8:00 and they stay at 8:00. You get 30:00 per puzzle, I think?

But you're also on VC with save stating, if failing puzzles is an issue. It's a pretty fun game, but I'm partial to the Picross e games tbh.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Was kind of excited for Gradius, but then remembered it's been on the 3DS VC for over a year now. Still hoping Konami does a sale on their VC stuff one of these days.

Richie

What if NOA is holding these back because they plan to release the GBA ports of both instead? :O
This will never happen

It -is- getting to the point where I could entertain the idea that they're saving them for something special.
Then, precedents of Nintendo's VC handling infest my mind, and I'm forced to concede it's but another case of PleaseUnderstand.

n64coder

Nope. The only Picross game I've played previously is Picross DS.

I have all 3 Picross e games plus Mario Picross. I haven't played the Mario one yet because I prefer to use the stylus. Picross e2 is my least favorite because of Micross which is a series of small puzzles that you complete to form a big picture. I found those puzzles were too easy and a waste of time.

e3 is my favorite. I spent 30 hours on it completing all of the puzzles.

I also recommend Picross 3D which is the 3D version. It has 360 puzzles and you can download another 300-400 more. I'm currently playing the bonus puzzles now.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Mario Picross might have been good in the GB era, but it's not up to snuff if you work above a certain speed. I think it just polls for input really infrequently. Time and time again I found myself making mistakes not because I didn't know what square to uncover, but because the game hadn't registered my directional input and put the cursor in the right place. Ugh.

I don't know if that's the way it originally was or if it's a fault of the emulation, but it was sure frustrating having to remind myself to slow down so I could finish all the puzzles without errors. I wish I'd gotten Lost Levels instead. (I don't have enough coins for it now unless I blow a bunch of eShop credit.)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
God fucking dammit I never got an email from Club Nintendo (do they even send you one?), so I forgot to answer the Zelda Survey and I lost 40 coins.

Damn... :(

rpmurphy

God fucking dammit I never got an email from Club Nintendo (do they even send you one?), so I forgot to answer the Zelda Survey and I lost 40 coins.

Damn... :(
I don't think there are email alert options for new surveys. I've missed out on a number of post-plays before. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
From Nintendo's Press Site:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder – Become one of the world's best tiny robot helpers by taking pictures of real-world objects using the Nintendo 3DS Camera to help open a new museum. Collect Happy Points by vacuuming, picking up trash and helping a cast of colorful characters. Collected Happy Points can be used to purchase in-game film that lets you photograph real-world objects and transport them into the game for the museum's displays. The full game and free demo version of Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder are both available exclusively in the Nintendo eShop.

Virtual Console on Wii U
Gradius – In the classic game Gradius, pilot the Vic Viper through seven stages, while shooting, dodging and collecting various power-ups, including missiles, lasers and shields. The only way to end the war is to plunge deep through the enemy forces and destroy them from within.

On sale this week:
• Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Sale: 25 percent off until Jan. 23

• Darts Up 3D (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Sale: More than 50 percent off until Jan. 30

• Code of Princess (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Sale: More than 30 percent off from Jan. 13 to Jan. 20

• Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

• Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
• Cocoto Magic Circus 2 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
• Jump Trials Supreme - Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
FINALLY, they mention sales....even if it's the Atlus games that've been on sale a few times already.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's probably more to do with the dearth of new content this week.

They've mentioned sales before in less than busy weeks.

This is weird... weren't they (SMB3 and ALTTP) suppose to come out last month?

That's what I I thought especially since SMB3 has had the coming soon notice up for a long time. Why can't Nintendo just release the same games to all regions at the same time?

sörine

Banned
I wish it was Gradius PCE. While I love the NES version too, I do not love the way NES VC games look on my Gamepad.

Griss

I was already pissed off at the lack of VC titles on the Wii U before I bought one. Now that I have one, I'm just really sad about it. Sad and disappointed.

It's crazy that I had 42 Wii VC titles, and only 10 of them are there on the Wii U. And then you see that they can't actually manage to release a ROM of SMB3 on time and you just despair. Couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, this lot.

It's in these 'drought months' that you'd expect them to release titles, too. That's when people have nothing to buy.

At least we got Earthbound :(

Nice sales there, though. Pity my DS is European.

Top Bottom