• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

What are the chances of Poles Big Adverture coming on the US Wii Ware store? We need more 8 bit platformers and really interested in this.

Also, is there anyway to play Japanese Wii Ware games on a US Wii? and what kinds of games are we Americans missing out on?

I'm always indifferent with Nintendo on their releases. On one hand, I'm like a lot of others and want my big VC releases because it would be awesome to have all my favorite games on the system. On the other hand, I don't need any of them, I just want them. And to me, it makes no difference when it comes out on foreign stores. Most games don't come out simultaneously around the territories (yes, I know mainly retail but still).

Also, we get more games per week than the 360 even if we get bogus ones now and then like the clocks on the DSi store. I still have a backlog of games I want to buy on the 3 stores respectively but there are so many out there I haven't kept up in awhile. I still haven't done much with Aquaria and I'm still going through PictoBits.

tldr: I want new awesome games as much as the next person but I'm fine with what we have since we technically are getting a good amount of games each week.

Note: My post is based off of having a Wii and a DSi btw. I know your weekly releases are halved pretty much if you don't.

I am interested in Dark King though. I'll be looking at impressions / videos for a little while to tempt me. :lol

Looks like last week was the final VC update. I bet next week they start taking games off of the service.

(Gotta keep my expectations for NoA as low as possible to avoid being disappointed.)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
HUELEN10 said:
There is simply no excuse whatsoever for a no VC week. I think most will agree.
There is an excuse, and here it is:

Nobody owes you shit.

You are not being cheated because they decided not to rerelease something on VC yet. It may be stupid for them to leave it off the service. Maybe they're leaving money on the table. There's nothing wrong with wanting a game on VC. But nobody OWES you Smash Bros or any other game. They never promised you Smash Brothers by a certain time, you haven't payed for Smash Brothers, you're not losing anything by not HAVING Smash Brothers or [insert classic game here].

You sound absolutely ridiculous.

Yaweee

Shit, My Life as a Dark Lord is out already? I didn't see that coming.

EDIT: Wow, that's... overpriced. Fuck it, I'm passing.

BooJoh

big black woman said:
i still have 800 points left from the free 1000 dsi points :-\
So you don't have Boxlife, Mario vs DK, Mighty Flip Champs, or PiCTOBiTS?
What are you saving your points for, the mythical 500 point full-length Metroid sequel that everyone seems to be waiting on?

zigg

BooJoh said:
What are you saving your points for, the mythical 500 point full-length Metroid sequel that everyone seems to be waiting on?

500 points is highway robbery! I demand it for free!

Wilsongt

Yaweee said:
Shit, My Life as a Dark Lord is out already? I didn't see that coming.

EDIT: Wow, that's... overpriced. Fuck it, I'm passing.

MLaaK was 1500. MLaaDL is cheaper.

Edit: I am still waiting for -some- form of Gemfire to appear on VC. I've been waiting forever, NoA.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
VGChampion said:
I'm always indifferent with Nintendo on their releases. On one hand, I'm like a lot of others and want my big VC releases because it would be awesome to have all my favorite games on the system. On the other hand, I don't need any of them, I just want them. And to me, it makes no difference when it comes out on foreign stores. Most games don't come out simultaneously around the territories (yes, I know mainly retail but still).
why so mature? can't you be a sport and just whine along?

A Twisty Fluken said:
So my DSi fridge is not going to last too long. Can't believe I'm going to be whining for a storage solution like 4 months in. :/
i hear ya. knowing nintendo and their 'storage solutions', though, i'm more hopeful of something coming out of HB field.

What the heck Nintendo? If you release VC games chances are I'll buy them and write up impressions to get other people to buy them as well.

Maybe I'll have to start buying wiiware games...

CTLance

I just have to rant now.

MLAADL feels so friggen linear - MLAAK was pretty linear too, but it didn't feel like it at all, and you always had a bit of choice.

In MLAADL you just trudge from one level to the next, with precious little optional sidequests and nearly no choice in how to proceed (because most of the time not doing optional stuff will get you into trouble in the next stage - for example, I found getting rid of the gladiators (when you don't have the Bombs yet) nearly impossible without Mus, since Gladiators demolish pretty much every other monster type and need to be stunlocked.

In MLAAK you had way more intel when sending your guys out (average level and type of monsters, level and equipment/skills of your adventurers, you could boost their skills by talking to them or using a shrine, etc. pp. ), and even if you "lost" one adventurer for the day, there were still many more. If even one hero breaches your defenses in MLAADL it's back to the worldmap for your sorry ass.

It's still a fun game, mind you, but the more I play the more I appreciate MLAAK.

When I fuck up in MLAAK I can still be productive and reap the benefits from my playtime(acquiring morale spheres and pimping out the town, hunting/grinding for medals, etc), whereas in MLAADL one loss results in me having spent a whole lot of time for naught. Sure, you get an incredibly meager handful of points, but with upgrades costing so much they're pretty worthless, and grinding through earlier stages nets you way more with far less effort.

I love to hate that game. The reverse is true too. Stupid Square making me all confused.

lyre

Insaniac said:
any vids or impressions on zengage? Anything with the artstyle prefix has me interested.
I'll at least provide some impressions after I go thru the next level or two of Might Flip Champs.

Dragona Akehi said:
Uhh.... what is this bullshit?

Base10 doesn't have a LH mode. This is a book-style STYLUS DRIVEN DS game.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. NINTENDO.
Fucking hell nintendo1! What the fuck is this bullshit?!

No wonder I was wary of getting this when this was uploaded last week. This is really inexcusable since these are simple little games.

Dragona Akehi said:
Going to be demanding a refund. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I didn't complain about this here? I know I did on twitter. It's a perplexing and surprising oversight from a company that usually makes arrangements for this. This is the first "book mode" game that I can remember that didn't have a lefty flip.

That said, I beat the entire game, standard, puzzle, and have gotten pretty far on infinite, as a lefty. So don't let it dissuade you from an excellent game. Really the only drawback is that your hand gets in the way during drop modes and you can't see all the pieces coming.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Just when there was a shred of hope that Nintendo might be making the VC worthwhile again, it's taken away. Way to go, Nintendo. It's not like there's a shortage of VC-eligible games or that putting them up to begin with is some massive investment. I would have gladly, gladly, exchanged any of the three WiiWare games this week that I don't care about for even a mediocre VC game; at least that way, it would be out of the backlog.

3roam

Neo Member
A Twisty Fluken said:
I didn't complain about this here? I know I did on twitter. It's a perplexing and surprising oversight from a company that usually makes arrangements for this. This is the first "book mode" game that I can remember that didn't have a lefty flip.

That said, I beat the entire game, standard, puzzle, and have gotten pretty far on infinite, as a lefty. So don't let it dissuade you from an excellent game. Really the only drawback is that your hand gets in the way during drop modes and you can't see all the pieces coming.

Hey, dont let nintendo know this...

Being a lefty I hope they update this! (Im sure they can update DSiWare, right?)

I feel so dumb for buying this Dsi when I did. I should have waited..... Although my Mother is loving her's I got her one and bought Dr.Mario, she acts like she will go into withdraws if she dosen't have her DS near her lol, hell Im tempted to take a picture of her when she falls asleep with the DS in her hand every other night hand still holding the stylus XD :lol

A Twisty Fluken said:

Well to be honest, I haven't been frequenting this thread very much lately so if you have posted here I didn't see. There was no indication on Nintendo's website or the DSiShop that this game was RH only.

As for it being "playable" it isn't. It seems like a great game but it's completely unplayable and especially after the Zelda debacle this isn't giving me much hope about Nintendo's future support for LH players.

So I'll be demanding a refund or a fix.

3roam said:

Being a lefty I hope they update this! (Im sure they can update DSiWare, right?)

It'll be like VC or WiiWare games: you have to redownload the entire programme, rather than a "patch".

3roam said:

I completely agree that it's an inexcusable design miss, and yeah, they absolutely need to update it, but my biggest concern was "is it still playable" and for me, at least, it absolutely is.

Dragona Akehi said:
As for it being "playable" it isn't. It seems like a great game but it's completely unplayable and especially after the Zelda debacle this isn't giving me much hope about Nintendo's future support for LH players.

EDIT: Really? I don't want to seem like forum sycophant #6 because I hate when people do that, but I just reach over with my left hand to do the drags and taps and like I said, it works just fine with the caveat that my hand gets in the way of the left screen so my planning suffers a bit as a result. That's all subjective of course, so I'm sorry that it's not as easily dismissed for you and I don't presume to dictate your standards to you. It's a damn shame either way because it's such an easy fix and there's no reason for the oversight that I can come up with.

Yaweee

Wilsongt said:
MLaaK was 1500. MLaaDL is cheaper.

I was referring to the price/amount of the DLC, which sounds like it is more necessary to the game than it was in MLaaK.

I'll wait for more impressions before I jump in.

Mekere

Yaweee said:
I was referring to the price/amount of the DLC, which sounds like it is more necessary to the game than it was in MLaaK.

I have just began the game but I don't feel like I have to buy some DLC. Nothing seems to be missing.

lyre

A Twisty Fluken said:
EDIT: Really? I don't want to seem like forum sycophant #6 because I hate when people do that, but I just reach over with my left hand to do the drags and taps and like I said, it works just fine with the caveat that my hand gets in the way of the left screen so my planning suffers a bit as a result.
Having your hand blocking the viewing area of the game is inexcusable, even if it's considered 'playable'.

Also, fucking SOMNIUM/Zengage has a lefthanded mode and it's a regular position DSi game! The same goes for Pictodics/Picopict. It's inexcusable.

Edit: Somnium/Zengage impressions: It's 2d Rubiks Cube or (for those with OSX) the slide puzzle game but for your DS. The game counts the number of moves you do (there's a built-in average as a goal) and you try to beat your own record by doing fewer moves. You either love it or hate it; and I love it and I'm only two puzzles in. It's definitely not the twitch reaction Artstyle game like Pictodics, Hacolife or (if I could play it) Decode.

Very relaxing music as well.

A Twisty Fluken said:
EDIT: Really? I don't want to seem like forum sycophant #6 because I hate when people do that, but I just reach over with my left hand to do the drags and taps and like I said, it works just fine with the caveat that my hand gets in the way of the left screen so my planning suffers a bit as a result. That's all subjective of course, so I'm sorry that it's not as easily dismissed for you and I don't presume to dictate your standards to you. It's a damn shame either way because it's such an easy fix and there's no reason for the oversight that I can come up with.

Please be sure, I'm not saying you're like that. For myself it isn't playable (being able to see the screen is a necessity as far as I'm concerned), and this really sets a bad precedent for DS stylus games with Nintendo.

On the Wii, Nintendo has not been supporting LH players as much as they should. The two top problems being Zelda and Prime 3. While Zelda was a "port up" and had a GC version to fall back on, it had a bit of an excuse. It still was horrible (especially since Aonuma admitted they made Link RH due to RH playtesters complaining it was "disorientating", something I complained about upon release) but I just got the GC version.

And yes, since I HATE Prime games I didn't purchase Corruption. However, I did try it out (full retail) and there is no LH mode in a ground up Wii game. This in a "immersive" game where you use the wiimote as your dominant hand, in order to shoot at things and open doors. It's pretty inexcusable.

Now this disregard (ignorance?) of LH is getting to the DS. With a stylus it's even worse. I'd like to think that if proper complaints were routed to NOA/NCL/NOE we'd maybe see a change in software design.

Volcynika

While the whole book setup not having an LH option really bothers me, I'm surprised at myself how I usually just play all Wii games and whatever like most RH people. I think that's just how I started up and never did something different, because sometimes I try to work with reverse (remote in left, nunchuck in right) and it just feels off to me.

But like mentioned above, DS book-style games like PPL, Hotel Dusk, etc., I have to do the LH option, it's just not feasible for me to play without one.

@lyre & Dragona

Can't argue with anything you said, really, I feel rather goofy for having brute forced through the entire game. I'll make sure to submit a complaint as well. I was able to get through this time as well as Prime 3; I might not be so lucky next time.

Volcynika said:
While the whole book setup not having an LH option really bothers me, I'm surprised at myself how I usually just play all Wii games and whatever like most RH people. I think that's just how I started up and never did something different, because sometimes I try to work with reverse (remote in left, nunchuck in right) and it just feels off to me.

It depends for me. While I could easily play Zelda with the nunchuck in the right hand and wiimote in the left, I can't do the same for Mario Galaxy as my right thumb simply doesn't have the sensitivity required for a precision platforming game. At the same time though I can't point well with the wiimote in Mario Galaxy being in my right hand so I always play 2Player with 2P being obligated to do all the star bits for me. Yes this is pretty ridiculous.

I pin this on the fact that since 1983 the DPAD was on the left and the buttons on the right. We're just used to it. But new people playing Wii always have the wiimote in their dominant hand (as I tend to as well, other than Mario Galaxy). This problem is only going to get bigger.

But like mentioned above, DS book-style games like PPL, Hotel Dusk, etc., I have to do the LH option, it's just not feasible for me to play without one.

Which is why I'm so upset about Base10/Decode.

All I want is an option Nintendo. So do the rest of the over 10% of the population.

A Twisty Fluken said:
@lyre & Dragona

Can't argue with anything you said, really, I feel rather goofy for having brute forced through the entire game. I'll make sure to submit a complaint as well. I was able to get through this time as well as Prime 3; I might not be so lucky next time.

Hopefully we can get the word out. It's inexcusable and lord knows what third parties might try next if Nintendo themselves isn't supporting LH.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What is really odd is the inconsistency with which Nintendo treats the problem. Ouendan 1 and 2 have a LH mode (even though it's not really needed!). Rhythm Heaven too. Yet other games don't have one. It's not like Nintendo is unaware of the problem, and yet...

I sympathize with you, Dragona. I hope you didn't just ask a refund, but also told them to implement LH-modes more systematically and asked them why they didn't implement one in the first place. We want answers!

lyre

Somnium/Zengage just threw me a two colour puzzle on number 4; I wonder how many colours on a single grid will they throw in the game as well as the how big of a grid.

Also, I managed to get the first three puzzles well under the average but puzzle 4 is 1 over the average; ftl. :(

And I'm not going to further complain about the lack of lefty mode nor am I going to force myself to play a game by conforming myself to such an oversight.

Kilrogg: CrossworDS (a horribly disappointing game by Nintendo btw) also has a lefty mode that didn't really need it, however since it has one, I'll use it.

CTLance said:
Dark Lord impressions

Okay, so I'm interested in both games and let's just say for discussion sakes I want to get both games eventually. Would I be better off playing Dark Lord first since it seems MLAAK is better? I definitely want to pick up both some time soon so I would assume if the first one is better received I should go with this new one and then get the better experience.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
lyre said:
Kilrogg: CrossworDS (a horribly disappointing game by Nintendo btw) also has a lefty mode that didn't really need it, however since it has one, I'll use it.

Boggles my mind, really. LH modes in games that don't require them to be enjoyed by lefties, and none when they're needed?

Kilrogg said:
What is really odd is the inconsistency with which Nintendo treats the problem. Ouendan 1 and 2 have a LH mode (even though it's not really needed!). Rhythm Heaven too. Yet other games don't have one. It's not like Nintendo is unaware of the problem, and yet...

I sympathize with you, Dragona. I hope you didn't just ask a refund, but also told them to implement LH-modes more systematically and asked them why they didn't implement one in the first place. We want answers!

I'll be contacted by a supervisor in a couple of days. I informed them I wanted either a promise of a fix or a refund. Preferably a fix and a proper policy added to all games for Wii and DS stating that they must be LH compatible, including changing animations or model etc.

Of course, last time I complained about this, GAF blamed me for "failing" rather than Nintendo. :p

3roam

Neo Member
A Twisty Fluken said:
I completely agree that it's an inexcusable design miss, and yeah, they absolutely need to update it, but my biggest concern was "is it still playable" and for me, at least, it absolutely is.

I was joking :D

At the moment Nintendo should put note of the sale page saying: "Not suitable for left handers". Otherwise they should accept refunds.

EDIT: I completely agree with the above ^post^.

3roam said:
I was joking :D

At the moment Nintendo should put note of the sale page saying: "Not suitable for left handers". Otherwise they should accept refunds.

The response I received had the audacity to say to look for games that "advertised LH compatibility" in the meantime. None of the games on Nintendo's website, WiiWare, or DSiShop show anything of the sort, one way or the other.

lyre

Just got one move under the average for puzzle 4. I really should stop playing now, but the music is so addicting somehow. "/

Dragona Akehi said:
Preferably a fix and a proper policy added to all games for Wii and DS stating that they must be LH compatible, including changing animations or model etc.
This will never happen, we all know this.

Dragona Akehi said:
The response I received had the audacity to say to look for games that "advertised LH compatibility" in the meantime. None of the games on Nintendo's website show anything of the sort, one way or the other.
Who the hell looks for information like that?!

Also, neither of Somnium or Pictodics' DSiware shop info page lists anything about left or right handedness. And neither does Decode say anything about 'right hand position only'. What bs. Decode's built-in faq doesn't say anything about left or right-handedness either.

3roam said:
Lefty-GAF unite!
Come on, so now there is a DSiWare game Miyamoto cant play...
Miyamoto doesn't play games
also he alternates hands depending on what he does; he's not strictly left

3roam

Neo Member
Dragona Akehi said:
The response I received had the audacity to say to look for games that "advertised LH compatibility" in the meantime. None of the games on Nintendo's website, WiiWare, or DSiShop show anything of the sort, one way or the other.

Lefty-GAF unite!
Come on, so now there is a DSiWare game Miyamoto cant play...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sure, I can understand being peeved when a book style DS game doesn't have lefty mode. But complaining when something like Prime 3 doesn't? :lol :lol :lol

I'm left handed and I'm better than most at any Wii FPS.

3roam

Neo Member
SonOfABeep said:
Don't die on us, VC!!

There's so much potential for the VC arcade that's untapped!

And Earthbound!

What, you think the VC will just end because there are no games released for one week...
If this was the third week in a row I would start worrying.

Top Bottom