• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2014

WTF NOA. Seriously. No wonder your financials are in the negative.

xc1e8kj.gif

Robin64

Thought it was Rainbow Bell Adventures in Europe today? Nintendo UK just tweeted that it's Pop 'n' Twinbee that's gone up (as in the shooter).

sörine

Banned
Actually my understanding is that Nintendo wants the emulators to be accurate, not just graphics looking the same. This link gives a good explanation on what accuracy is...and why it may be impossible to accurately emulate a SNES despite increases in hardware performance.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/3/
Nintendo's concerned with accuracy of the experience which is a little different. Or at least they used to be on Wii, they've been slowly changing stance on 3DS and Wii U (NSTC versions in PAL, save states, button config, console/handheld crossover, etc).

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos
Wii U | Virtual Console
Wii U | Sales
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft | $29.99 Permanent, was $39.99) Upcoming 08/04
Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos
Nintendo 3DS | Sales
  • Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games | $0.99 until 08/20, then $2.99)
  • Sweet Memories Blackjack (Circle Ent. | $2.79 until 08/21, then $3.99)
  • Wakedas (Circle Ent. | $1.99 until 08/21, then $2.99)
vYU92.png

• XType Plus (PhobosLab | €2.99 | £2.69)
  • Ice Cream Surfer (Dolores Entertainment | €5.00 | £4.49)
  • Bombing Bastards (Sanuk Games | €6.99 | £5.99)
  • Midtown Crazy Race (Jose Varela | €5.00 | £4.49)
    TM_WiiUDS_XTypePlus_search_thumb.png
    TM_WiiUDS_IceCreamSurfer_search_thumb.png
    bombingbastardswwecf.jpg
    TM_WiiUDS_MidtownCrazyRace_search_thumb.png
Wii U | Virtual Console
Wii U | Sales
  • Donkey Kong (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • Ice Climber (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo | €3.49 | £2.44 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • Punch-Out!! (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo | €3.49 | £2.44 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • Wario's Woods (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 08/07, then €4.99 | £3.49) *Own a NES Remix
  • TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition (Keen Games | €4.99 | £4.49 until 08/14, then €7.99 | £6.99)
  • Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte | €6.79 | £5.49 until 08/21, then €16.99 | £13.99)
  • 2048 (GameOn | €1.49 | £1.19)
  • Family Kart 3D (Arc System Works | €4.99 | £4.49)
    TM_3DSDS_2048_search_thumb.png
    TM_3DSDS_FamilyKart3D_search_thumb.png
Nintendo 3DS | Sales
  • Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (Avanquest | €19.99 | £19.99 until 08/14, then €29.99 | £24.99)
  • Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games | €0.99 | £0.89 until 08/21, then €2.99 | £2.69)
  • Swords & Soldiers 3D (Circle Ent. | €4.99 | £4.49 until 08/21, then €7.00 | £5.90)
  • Brunch Panic (Circle Ent. | €2.99 | £2.69 until 08/21, then €3.99 | £3.59)
  • Sweet Memories Blackjack (Circle Ent. | €2.99 | £2.69 until 08/21, then €3.99 | £3.59)
  • SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition (Gamelion | €0.99 | £0.89 until 08/28, then €1.99 | £1.79)
  • 10-in-1: Arcade Collection (Gamelion | €0.99 | £0.89 until 08/28, then €1.99 | £1.79)
  • Crazy Kangaroo (Gamelion | €0.99 | £0.89 until 08/28, then €1.99 | £1.89)
  • Race of the Gladiator (Gamelion | €3.49 | £3.09 until 08/28, then €6.99 | £6.29)
  • Carps & Dragons (Abylight | €2.99 | £2.49 until 08/31, then €4.99 | £4.49)
uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

L~A

List of games for the Megaugust:

Mega Man 5 (NES)

Mega Man 6 (NES)

Mega Man X3 (SNES)

Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (GBA)

Order isn't confirmed, though, so it can be just any game from within that list next week.

StatsChu

Neo Member
sörine;123469988 said:
Nintendo's concerned with accuracy of the experience which is a little different. Or at least they used to be on Wii, they've been slowly changing stance on 3DS and Wii U (NSTC versions in PAL, save states, button config, console/handheld crossover, etc).

Would you explain what you mean by accuracy of the experience? It seems like we are talking about the same thing.

M3d10n

sörine;123454979 said:
NES on 3DS seems to be just raw emulator output. So the aspect ratio isn't adjusted to match what you'd see on your television, making the image look slightly stretched in comparison. Here's an example.

gg87.jpg

On the other hand there's no blurry filter, pixels are nice and chunky while colors are vibrant, so 3DS is still leagues ahead of Wii U and I'd even put it above Wii outside native res personally. So basically; Wii (240p) > 3DS > Wii (480i/p) or Wii mode (Wii U) >>>> Wii U.

The NES (and the SNES) didn't output square pixels. The 3DS screen is 240p, so the image is only scaled horizontally. The Wii U, Wii at 480i/p and vWii do basically the same thing, but at 2X scaling. The Wii (not vWii) supports the native NES and SNES resolution, so it won't do any scaling. However, it's pointless if you're using an LCD because the TV will have to scale whatever it's being fed anyway.

terrisus

Well I've made my point and you have too. I'll try to stop complaining.

DJXseNt.jpg

Today's the day..

WTF NOA. Seriously. No wonder your financials are in the negative.

Welp. No VC games other than NES Mega Man for Wii U for August then.

We keep hearing that the reason for the slow VC releases is because Nintendo wants it absolutely perfect. This image is absolutely horrendous compared to the 3DS/Wii/NES. How did this even pass?

Release more than one damn Wii U VC game. Mega Man is an amazing game and it's great it's on the Wii U now, but one release...really?

Do you think they will release Metroid Zero Mission for EU in the next weeks? Still have 9 Euro on my account and I finally want to play my first Metroid game.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed Mega Man 7 isn't one of the four games. :/
That said, I've never played Chip Challenge before.
Stay far away from Chip Challenge. It plays nothing like the main BN games. It's just luck-based battles against others. Your chips get chosen randomly and you just... automatically use them against the enemy on a straight line. Total garbage.
The presentation and the music is the only good thing about it.

Why do they even release it before 2 and 3?

sörine

Banned
Would you explain what you mean by accuracy of the experience? It seems like we are talking about the same thing.
That the end user experience was a close as possible to the original. That's why they did things like exclude save states on Wii or patched slowdown back into Star Fox 64.

steveovig

That's a disappointing Mega Man lineup. I want to play MM7 bad and who knows how long it'll take NOA to put that out. Why not just cram them all into August? Is that hard to do?

StatsChu

Neo Member
sörine;123507947 said:
That the end user experience was a close as possible to the original. That's why they did things like exclude save states on Wii or patched slowdown back into Star Fox 64.

Ah yes we were talking about the same thing.

Having read that article, it makes sense to me now why Nintendo and even Sony don't have all the games available for Nintendo VC/ PS Classics.

What's with Steel Empire being $29.99?

The original was a great little shooter, but it confuses me why they think a decent visual overhaul on an old-school shooter with 7 stages deserves such a high price tag. It seems like porting this like the Sega 3D 3DS ports for like 5.99 would have been far more effective.

Has anyone played this?

kunonabi

I'm playing Mega Man 2 for the first time on Wii U. I'm enjoying it, but it's really a shame that it has to look like this. I'll probably stay away from NES games and stick to SNES and GBA.

Yeah it really sucks that Capcom decided to release everything on the wii u instead of just finishing off the collection on the Wii VC. I'd much rather just by the last couple missing titles from that service than buy everything again on the Wii U. As it stands I might just say to hell with it and only pick up the GBA titles.

rjc571

Banned
It's based on the Dreamcast version, so it has less content than the PS2 version. (The PS2 version is actually somewhat of a remake of the Dreamcast version; all of the overworld sections in the PS2 game were not present in the earlier versions.) It also runs much worse than super smooth 60 fps Dreamcast version. In short, get the Dreamcast version instead. (Or the PC version if that's not an option.)

maxcriden

It's based on the Dreamcast version, so it has less content than the PS2 version. (The PS2 version is actually somewhat of a remake of the Dreamcast version; all of the overworld sections in the PS2 game were not present in the earlier versions.) It also runs much worse than super smooth 60 fps Dreamcast version. In short, get the Dreamcast version instead. (Or the PC version if that's not an option.)

I'll second this. I found it to run surprisingly poorly.

Top Bottom