• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2015

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
To be honest... I've heard from a lot of other indie devs (both big and small) that EU market for Wii U/3DS has been rather disappointing and decreasing. Add to the fact that Xeodrifter, a big indie, which got major spotlight on the 3DS eShop ( https://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/status/615609910940729345 ), this has become something of a concern among indies.

There are good points of it doing less cause being lost during the chaos of E3 and being late. But this isn't an outliner. This is starting to become a pattern.

That's unfortunate about the sales in Europe :(. I guess for the 3DS eShop they can try bringing stuff to Japan. The 3DS eShop seems really strong there (I'm sure the 3DS being really strong there in general helps).

@MUWANdo

Banned
That's unfortunate about the sales in Europe :(. I guess for the 3DS eShop they can try bringing stuff to Japan. The 3DS eShop seems really strong there (I'm sure the 3DS being really strong there in general helps).

Western indies can't self-publish in Japan; you need a publisher with a local presence in Japan to do it for you.

The PAL audience is definitely the smallest slice of the pie but a lot of devs make things worse by only releasing their games once all the hype has died and potential customers have acquired the games elsewhere or simply lost interest.

Doczu

Western indies can't self-publish in Japan; you need a publisher with a local presence in Japan to do it for you.

The PAL audience is definitely the smallest slice of the pie but a lot of devs make things worse by only releasing their games once all the hype has died and potential customers have acquired the games elsewhere or simply lost interest.

That's right. I have a list of indies i'd like to buy, but with every passing month the urge get's smaller. With other games releasing every now and then i just don't have the funds or interest in the games i wanted to buy.

TheMoon

Plus sometimes they even skip one of the largest markets there (Germany) or don't localize into all major languages and do English-only. I mean, those things are important. You can't drop it on the floor half a year or more after it first came out in NA, have it be English only in a region made up of multiple countries whose main customers all have different main languages and/or skip one of the biggest markets due to ratings fees and then wonder why barely anybody buys it.

I get that it's hard, shit is expensive. Localization is a huge hassle and is expensive, too. Ratings are stupid expensive and a pain in the ass. I get all that. Just don't be surprised and act like people don't buy your game out of spite or something.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Xeodrifter still my favorite indie game on the 3ds despite it's length.

On a side note I need to go grab some more eshop credit to restock.

TheMoon

For my EU game, I am at least doing a launch sale to help make up for being late. Will be curious to see how it does :)

With your game specifically, it kinda doesn't matter much since you never had a big marketing push in NA. So you're not missing out on any buzz that came and went.

Btw have you thought about how to handle the Miiverse community? Are you gonna make it global or region-specific? (going global might help in keeping it active)

GulAtiCa

I'm not sure how it will be handled. Even though same game, and tied to each other, the game title in EU is very difficult in EU. So even the banner used is different.

I should obviously ask to make sure what is possible. I'd rather have them both as one so that both can see each other.

Esp now that with the new NA content, the NA miiverse is very active.

Maybe it's not as easy to take that for technical reasons. We don't know the way they handled emulation back then, do we?
We do pretty well. It was using *gasp* an emulator and ROM. Such things have been extracted and even different ROMs have been played (though the compatibility list is very small with about 12 games on it)

What is obvious is that the Gamecube Zelda discs did not have a language selection option and language was determined by the system language instead. The question now is how is language changed as that does change the effort needed (loading a different ROM, simple, patching the same ROM not so simple).

I took the time to dump my OOT Master Quest disc and extract the files. Sol you have a ROM which is like zlp_f.n64 but then some tpl files for efgis corresponding to that name which suggests some sort of patching going on.

This doesn't change my conclusion of Nintendo should put some fucking effort into this rather than smother us with 50Hz shit (especially as the 60Hz version is at arms reach here).

GameE

The only ones people suggest to avoid is Ecco The Dolphin (& that's more of a "your mileage may vary" thing) and Altered Beast because it hasn't aged well.

Some people might suggest to skip Streets of Rage now considering in July, we're getting SoR2 which is considered a better game.

I just bought all but those 3. I may get them later.

So out of the 500 GG games that have been unloaded on the eshop these past few weeks which ones are actually worth checking out?

I saw Nintendo life had a positive review for Spikey the Blowfish.

Any others?

Top Bottom