• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2010

Sucks you can't share fighters or play vs with someone else in Photo Dojo. It's just two people on the same DSi. It's a wonderful game for free but I would've payed more than two bucks to be able to do that.

Also just told my friends it's really awesome and to bring by their own fighters next time I see them before checking out it's only local (oops).

Another week without updating the VC and people will start thinking Nintendo is done with it....Oh wait.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh no, two weeks without VC games is a really bad sign. I'm not interested in anything this week aside from Photo Dojo.

If NOA are thinking of stopping the VC updates, they can kiss my business goodbye. The VC is why I look forward to the updates in the first place!

It's not a bad sign at all. Yeah, I much prefer VC over Wii-Ware / DSi but it's still new games each week. I don't care what service Nintendo uses, as long as they keep doing weekly updates there isn't much to complain about. XBLA gets a game a week I believe. We get multiple.

NeonZ

Isn't Phoenix Wright basically a port, like the VC games? That might explain their absence this time...

andymcc

Banned
Andrex said:
There's really almost nothing left to release anyways. The list is like really small now.

Of course, I curse them for every Monday that doesn't bring Yoshi's Island, but still. What comes after that? Star Fox? Then what?

a multitude of games on consoles that weren't from the SNES?

VGChampion said:
Another week without updating the VC and people will start thinking Nintendo is done with it....Oh wait.

It's not a bad sign at all. Yeah, I much prefer VC over Wii-Ware / DSi but it's still new games each week. I don't care what service Nintendo uses, as long as they keep doing weekly updates there isn't much to complain about. XBLA gets a game a week I believe. We get multiple.

It's not like XBLA gets only one game every week (two last week, two this week, for example).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
andymcc said:
a multitude of games on consoles that weren't from the SNES?

I'm talking about Nintendo-published games. But I'm curious which non-SNES games you're talking about?

donny2112

Andrex said:
I'm talking about Nintendo-published games.

Eh? What's that? They haven't ported any Super Scope 6 games for a system with a pointing device as a control option? Well, there you go!

G0523

Isn't Capcom supposed to release Episode 5 from the FIRST Phoenix Wright game on WiiWare sometime this month? Seems weird to me that they just released the third game in the series but the first game still needs to be finished with that DLC.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Bought and downloaded Earthworm Jim. Regret it now.

Controls are sluggish, floaty, and clunky, the collision detection is off, and the combination equals for a frustrating time.

Got Photo Dojo. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, though, as I haven't been in a good setting for taking pictures or making noises yet though...

Wow, it's a major pain getting close to being in the frame when taking pictures of yourself for Photo Dojo. I'll have to get someone else to take pictures of me. Also, does anyone else know how to avoid the fireballs that enemies shoot? Jumping over them doesn't seem to work, nor does crouching.

NeonZ

G0523 said:
Isn't Capcom supposed to release Episode 5 from the FIRST Phoenix Wright game on WiiWare sometime this month? Seems weird to me that they just released the third game in the series but the first game still needs to be finished with that DLC.

In Japan, that extra chapter was originally released with the rerelease of the 1st game, after the third one. This is just following that original order.

Lijik

Oli said:
Should I buy this version of Earthworm Jim? I've never played it before.

No. Every thing about it just feels so off, even the iphone port with its touch screen controls manages to be better.
The game for some reason feels like its going faster than it should, collision detection is off, and the camera gimmick minigame just flat out does not work.

mooooose

cooljeanius said:
Wow, it's a major pain getting close to being in the frame when taking pictures of yourself for Photo Dojo. I'll have to get someone else to take pictures of me. Also, does anyone else know how to avoid the fireballs that enemies shoot? Jumping over them doesn't seem to work, nor does crouching.
Shoot one back.

That said, Photo Dojo fucking sucks. Thank god it's free because it's horrible and fun for five minutes if you make a character that curses a lot. I just took pictures of my butt and made a fighter that was all fart sounds.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Andrex said:
There's really almost nothing left to release anyways. The list is like really small now.

Of course, I curse them for every Monday that doesn't bring Yoshi's Island, but still. What comes after that? Star Fox? Then what?

Mario Party 2-3
Pilotwings 64
Megaman 5
Megaman 6
Megaman 7
Megaman X-X3
Harvest Moon 64
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Kirby Superstar

aaand that's about it for me. We get that and I'm good.

The Enix quintet trilogy.

Also faxanadu, and find some way to get the guardian legend up there.

But I'll be honest, most of the big hitters are on there. Get me Saturn next generation and we'll talk.

Crazyorloco

Photo Dojo actually is pretty cool. I had fun taking pics of myself.

... and fighting myself. :p download it now if you haven't.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From my cart collection, not released:

SNES/SFC
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Mario and Wario, Nintendo's best puzzle game ever
ActRaiser 2
Aerobiz
Aerobiz Supersonic
Big Sky Trooper
Captain Commando
Captain Novolin
Chrono Trigger
Clue!
Darius Twin
Dino City
Doom
Drakkhen
Earthbound
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy III/VI
Hit the Ice
Illusion of Gaia
Joe and Mac
Knights of the Round
Lagoon
Lord of the Rings
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
Math Blaster
Mega Man X
Monopoly
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Pac-Man 2
Phantom 2040
Q-Bert 3
Rex Ronan
Robotrek
SOS
Shaq Fu
SimEarth (SNES)
Skyblazer
Spanky's Quest
Star Fox
Star Trek Starfleet Academy
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Widget
Thomas the Tank
Uniracers

NES
Bucky O'Hare
Dr. Mario
Dragon Warrior
DuckTales
Faxanadu
MC Kids
Rampage
Snoopy's Sports
Where's Waldo
Yo! Noid

N64
Blast Corps
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Goldeneye 007
Mischief Makers
Pokemon Stadium
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars SOTE

Genesis
Aladdin

I don't really own a lot of carts, but just looking at the stuff I own alone there's no shortage of games that would be great on the service and aren't there yet, even categorically excluding licensed games.

Just off the top of my head, the following games I don't own and would want on VC:
Adventures of 3d World-Runner (NES)
Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers 1/2 (NES)
Crystalis (NES)
DuckTales 2 (NES)
The Guardian Legend (NES)
Doom 64 (N64)
Mission: Impossible (N64)
Pilotwings 64 (N64)
EVO: The Search for Eden (SNES)
Goof Troop (SNES)
Hook (SNES)
Secret of Evermore (SNES)
Soul Blazer (SNES)
Sunset Riders (SNES)
Terranigma (Euro SNES)
Turtles in Time (SNES)
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)

So, no, if we're asking them to actually make an effort on this stuff, they're not even close to done.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Host Samurai said:
EVENTUALLY!!!!! I think that every game licensed included will be available. I dont mean over night, I am talking years.

Honestly, when Nintendo announced the Virtual Console at whatever that E3 was, I was expecting an iTunes/Amazon/Steam-style digital store where, yes, some stuff takes a while to get sorted out and added, but for the most part everything would be available day one. Instead of having a weekly game or two, I expected that big clumps of stuff would spring up as licensing issues were sorted out. And like iTunes, I figured that there might be a straggler or two at this point, but that 99.9% of stuff was going to be up.

*sigh*

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
Honestly, when Nintendo announced the Virtual Console at whatever that E3 was, I was expecting an iTunes/Amazon/Steam-style digital store where, yes, some stuff takes a while to get sorted out and added, but for the most part everything would be available day one. Instead of having a weekly game or two, I expected that big clumps of stuff would spring up as licensing issues were sorted out. And like iTunes, I figured that there might be a straggler or two at this point, but that 99.9% of stuff was going to be up.

*sigh*

Well I shouldn't need to tell you that song licenses are a world simpler than games because there are fewer people involved, not to mention the lack of emulation. There's a few services that now deal with retro games and all of them have hit the same problems with respect to licensing.

A lot of people thought that games would just magically be there, but it was a matter of not adequately understanding what goes into these sorts of things.

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
I was expecting an iTunes/Amazon/Steam-style digital store where, yes, some stuff takes a while to get sorted out and added, but for the most part everything would be available day one

Problem with that is that without the drip-feed, everyone would just go in, grab the two or three games they remembered from their childhood, and completely forget about the service going forward.

Stumpokapow said:
From my cart collection, not released:

I still hold out a remote hope, particularly given that Capcom and Disney/Marvel are back in business together, that they can work out a way to get the Cap Disney masterpieces up there.

zigg said:
Problem with that is that without the drip-feed, everyone would just go in, grab the two or three games they remembered from their childhood, and completely forget about the service going forward.

Yeah, that's exactly how itunes works.

Downloaded Photo Dojo, but haven't been in the mood to play it yet. But hey, can't beat free. :D
If I see a friend of mine soon, we will definitely play it.

I also just bought Sin & Punishment out on a whim. Since the sequel's coming out next month, I might as well try the game out. While I am enjoying it, the controls just don't really hold up too well for me, which is why I think it will greatly benefit from the Wiimote.
I also got chapter 1-3, and accidentally deleted my save data. :lol

Hobbun

Andrex said:
I'm talking about Nintendo-published games. But I'm curious which non-SNES games you're talking about?

Who says it has to be Nintendo published games only, anyways? Sure, they don't have to worry about licensing, but there are still a lot of great games out there that shouldn't be too much issue to release through licenses.

This is only a few of what I am waiting for:

Crystalis
Faxanadu
Lufia 1 & II
Secret of Evermore
Battle of Olympus
The Dragon Warrior games

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Yes, Earthbound is another one, but I know the licensing problems with that one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zigg said:

I don't really want to get into the same old song and dance, but I don't think anyone can really argue that this scenario played out with iTunes or Netflix or any other comparable service.

It's also something that you mitigate through sales, game of the week, featured developers, if you liked <x> try <y>, demos, etc. Not that I expect, you know, any of those basic store features to be implemented and integrated.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Stumpokapow said:
I don't really want to get into the same old song and dance, but I don't think anyone can really argue that this scenario played out with iTunes or Netflix or any other comparable service.

It's also something that you mitigate through sales, game of the week, featured developers, if you liked <x> try <y>, demos, etc. Not that I expect, you know, any of those basic store features to be implemented and integrated.

iTunes also has the advantage of regular new releases which VC would not. Maybe if they didn't have WiiWare and VC separated it would work better. Still, everything has to be re rated and play tested, not really feasible to launch everything at once.

zigg

leroy hacker said:
Yeah, that's exactly how itunes works.
You're right, of course. I remember the day they introduced iTunes, put every song ever made up for download, and never added any more content ever.

Stumpokapow said:
Same goes here. They're not comparable. Both have new release streams; VC doesn't have one unless you create one, which is what's being done. And are you seriously suggesting that any amount of game of the week or recommendations services can contend with the selling power of a slow feed of new releases? Particularly for drawing attention to releases that might not be as popular?

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
Just off the top of my head, the following games I don't own and would want on VC:

Your opinion is missing Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge. Just FYI.

Stumpokapow said:

Netflix has movies rotate in and out due to their Starz partnership.

zigg said:
You're right, of course. I remember the day they introduced iTunes, put every song ever made up for download, and never added any more content ever.

You're right, of course. People only go into itunes to buy newly available songs.

edit: To be clear, my point is that the notion you proposed of people only, or even primarily, entering digital marketplaces when new releases come out has virtually nothing to do with the way most people use these services. Admittedly though, the Wii shop would have to be much more fun and easy to browse for it to have usage habits remotely analogous to itunes.

JavyOO7

And with a lot of these VC games that have multiplayer none of the developers never bothered adding online play to them. :(

But what I want most is somehow WWE and THQ and Aki and Yukes work out a deal where the Aki 4 wrestling games for the n64 are released to the VC.

zigg

leroy hacker said:
You're right, of course. People only go into itunes to buy newly available songs.

edit: To be clear, my point is that the notion you proposed of people only, or even primarily, entering digital marketplaces when new releases come out has virtually nothing to do with the way most people use these services. Admittedly though, the Wii shop would have to be much more fun and easy to browse for it to have usage habits remotely analogous to itunes.

I don't see how your article combats my contention. I'd expect that there'd be an upsurge in purchases of Super Mario Bros. if people were reminded of it through some other media they consume on a regular basis... episodic television being a good example of a "new release" stream, I might add :D

Do you have something else? Something that actually illustrates an establishment of ongoing consumer habits to continue to explore a catalog that's dumped in all at once? I mean, sure, dumping a catalog all at once is a good idea if you want to bring in a consumer that is looking for X, Y, and Z and will go where those are available, but if you want to establish a consumer base who comes back every week, "what's new" seems more effective and reliable to me than suggesting something that's already been available—particularly if you hit him one too many times with something he may have already picked up, he may stop following.

gunstarhero

Wow - no VC games?!?!?

Come on Sega - release some more old arcade games! Still having a blast with Space Harrier and Zaxxon.

Bring me Enduro Racer, ESWAT, Shadow Dancer, Power Drift, Crackdown, Galaxy Force, GA: Revenge of Death Adder, and Quartet!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Stumpokapow said:
Like in Nintendo Channel? Bar the store integration, that's what the channel does.

wsippel

Banned
blu said:
Like in Nintendo Channel? Bar the store integration, that's what the channel does.
The Nintendo Channel would be the best store on consoles by far - if it actually was the store. It's fast, easy to navigate, and it has lots of content and some really great and unique features.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
blu said:

... also bar the sales, and the game of the week, and the demos for the actual service we're talking about.

It's true, though, it does have an "If you like <x>, you'll like <y>", and it sort of has a "featured developer" thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rockman & Forte would be a wonderful import VC game that they could either translate with minimal effort... or leave as is.

Kid Marin

Jaseiken Necromancer RPG series is back. Hudson plans to release Jaseiken Necromancer - Nightmare Reborn (DSiWare; 800 pts) in June (Japan).

Top Bottom