• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2016

maxcriden

FWIW, I believe Nintendo has specifically said the Wii U VC architecture is being designed to be carried forward to the next system. This unlike the Wii situation makes me believe we've got a shot at all current Wii U VC being available day one on NX.

Personally, I think a third console GC drip-feed would be asking for louder fan backlash from the online community, though who's to say whether avoiding that is worth the benefits of a drip-feed as Nintendo sees them.

Pokemaniac

FWIW, I believe Nintendo has specifically said the Wii U VC architecture is being designed to be carried forward to the next system. This unlike the Wii situation makes me believe we've got a shot at all current Wii U VC being available day one on NX.

Personally, I think a third console GC drip-feed would be asking for louder fan backlash from the online community, though who's to say whether avoiding that is worth the benefits of a drip-feed as Nintendo sees them.

Everything being available from day 1 just seems a bit unlikely for logistical reasons. Like, it isn't impossible if they really try for it, but mass updates taking a bunch of resources is like the one big disadvantage of the every game is self-contained approach Nintendo takes with VC.

I think waves are more likely.

maxcriden

Everything being available from day 1 just seems a bit unlikely for logistical reasons. Like, it isn't impossible if they really try for it, but mass updates taking a bunch of resources is like the one big disadvantage of the every game is self-contained approach Nintendo takes with VC.

I think waves are more likely.

Waves rather than drip-feed? I would get behind that. But, I thought Nintendo no longer did the "every game is self-contained" thing? And, for those not transferring Wii U data (hopefully most people buying NX 😙), would it make any difference to this consumers?

Richie

The only way I'd be fine with them starting anew and drip feeding the releases is if they take a page out of PS2 Classics On PS4 and offer the games with increased resolution, their own equivalent for achievements (a lá Miitomo's on MyNintendo), crossplay and whatnot. The ultimate version as it were. But if they're gonna give us the exact same versions we're already playing, have that up from day one.

Mind you, I fully expect that Gamecube VC will have a drip feed scheduled even if Wii U's library carries over, just because it'd be the GC's introduction to the VC system. And I actually wouldn't mind it, provided we have the other consoles there, and that Melee is among its first releases :V

Pokemaniac

Waves rather than drip-feed? I would get behind that. But, I thought Nintendo no longer did the "every game is self-contained" thing? And, for those not transferring Wii U data (hopefully most people buying NX 😙), would it make any difference to this consumers?

Nope, everything is still self contained. The only stuff that might not be is the Wii DL stuff, but there hasn't been enough analysis of those games (at least that I've found) to definitively say one way or the other. Basically they trade off ease of mass updates to get more flexibility in general.

This isn't really affected by whether or not people already own the games, since this mainly has to do with things Nintendo themselves have to do. Nintendo will, at a bare minimum, have to re-QA everything. If they did things right, this process should go fairly smoothly, but the sheer volume of games is going to put a strain on Super Mario Club and whoever is responsible for putting stuff in the eShop database no matter what.

-shadow-

Waves rather than drip-feed? I would get behind that. But, I thought Nintendo no longer did the "every game is self-contained" thing? And, for those not transferring Wii U data (hopefully most people buying NX ��), would it make any difference to this consumers?

I know that the 3DS uses one emulator for GB and NES (even GBA though unused), or at least there is one emulator that can be used for everything. No idea if they do so for the SNES games however. No idea how they do it on the WiiU though. Anyone who can confirm this?

KingWool

Banned
I know that the 3DS uses one emulator for GB and NES (even GBA though unused), or at least there is one emulator that can be used for everything. No idea if they do so for the SNES games however. No idea how they do it on the WiiU though. Anyone who can confirm this?

Every VC game is self-contained. As in; you are downloading an emulator and the game.

TheMoon

I'am beginning to think that Super Mario RPG will be on whatever the NX turns out to be.

We eventually got Metroid: Zero Mission and Xenoblade Chronicles but NoA seems happy enough to port everything else but fucking Super Mario RPG on the North American Wii U VC.

VC games are not ports ... :(

Pokemaniac

The only way I'd be fine with them starting anew and drip feeding the releases is if they take a page out of PS2 Classics On PS4 and offer the games with increased resolution, their own equivalent for achievements (a lá Miitomo's on MyNintendo), crossplay and whatnot. The ultimate version as it were. But if they're gonna give us the exact same versions we're already playing, have that up from day one.

Mind you, I fully expect that Gamecube VC will have a drip feed scheduled even if Wii U's library carries over, just because it'd be the GC's introduction to the VC system. And I actually wouldn't mind it, provided we have the other consoles there, and that Melee is among its first releases :V

Sony's handling of PS2 Classics has been terrible and should not be copied. There is no upgrade path for existing owners, and they are wasting way too much time getting trophies working. It's some of the worst bits of VC with some extra badness thrown in.

Simbabbad

Circumstances are a lot different now than when they made the Wii --> Wii U transition.
How so?

When they release a NES VC game on Wii U, they rarely release it on 3DS and vice-versa. I guess that they think that dripping them creates a "new release" feeling every week that leads to sales, whereas putting them all up at the same time would make people forget about the games.

In any case, they could already change the way they release VC games, and they don't. Why do you assume it'll be different on NX?

KingWool

Banned
How so?

When they release a NES VC game on Wii U, they rarely release it on 3DS and vice-versa. I guess that they think that dripping them creates a "new release" feeling every week that leads to sales, whereas putting them all up at the same time would make people forget about the games.

In any case, they could already change the way they release VC games, and they don't. Why do you assume it'll be different on NX?

In my mind the NX is Nintendo's last chance to survive as a console maker; the way they handle VC will be the information I need to know whether or not to even purchase the system.

Richie

Sony's handling of PS2 Classics has been terrible and should not be copied. There is no upgrade path for existing owners, and they are wasting way too much time getting trophies working. It's some of the worst bits of VC with some extra badness thrown in.

You have a valid point; I'll admit that when I typed that I was taking an upgrade path for granted, which I now recall, the PS4 lacks. Just took a look and there's only 29 games there, too. Jeez.

Javier

How so?

Main reason why I think Nintendo started the drip-feed again on Wii U was because when they started VC on Wii Shop Channel they didn't look into the future, and due to whatever negotiations they did with 3rd parties as well as not tying games to an account, those VC releases couldn't be released anywhere outside Wii Shop Channel.

Nowadays all purchases are tied to your NNID, and they use the global Nintendo eShop name, so at least from a legal standpoint, there shouldn't be issues for everything on the eShop to carry over to NX.

Of course compatibility is an issue, so if NX has no BC then pretty much no Wii U games (retail or eShop) will carry over. But with VC, I want to think that at least most of the testing is already done since the emulation work shouldn't be that different. The only thing I'm not expecting to carry over are Wii Downloads (they run on Wii Mode, which I don't expect to carry over either), I guess they could emulate them, but it also depends whether the Wiimote is compatible with NX.

Now, I definitely don't think EVERYTHING will be available Day 1, but I do think Nintendo will try to avoid starting from absolute scratch this time around. They definitely do not need the backlash, and they've stated they want the next system to have a unified OS (which should originate from Wii U).

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (Nintendo, SNES VC) - €7.99/£7.19 (€5.59/£4.99 until June 9)

Well this discount was unexpected, but is certainly appreciated.
I wonder if SNES VC is doing worse than expected?
I was all for it but am now put off by the prices. I just can't pay £7.19 for Contra or Pilotwings.
Had every title had this first week discount I would've bought each one, I did buy all 8 that were part of the launch promotion but haven't got one since it ended.
£4.99 is great but it turns out £7.19, in contrast to the same titles being available or £5.49 on the Wii U, is just a touch higher than I'm willing to go,

In my mind the NX is Nintendo's last chance to survive as a console maker; the way they handle VC will be the information I need to know whether or not to even purchase the system.

Heh I didn't buy a Wii U at launch solely due to how they were handling VC.
I picked one up eventually but if I can't transfer my 3DS VC games over to the NX I will point-blank refuse to buy one, ever.
I'm not worried though, Nintendo Account all but guarantees it and with it the lack of the drip-feed approach.

Well this discount was unexpected, but is certainly appreciated.
I wonder if SNES VC is doing worse than expected?
I was all for it but am now put off by the prices. I just can't pay £7.19 for Contra or Pilotwings.
Had every title had this first week discount I would've bought each one, I did buy all 8 that were part of the launch promotion but haven't got one since it ended.
£4.99 is great but it turns out £7.19, in contrast to the same titles being available or £5.49 on the Wii U, is just a touch higher than I'm willing to go,

Heh I didn't buy a Wii U at launch solely due to how they were handling VC.
I picked one up eventually but if I can't transfer my 3DS VC games over to the NX I will point-blank refuse to buy one, ever.
I'm not worried though, Nintendo Account all but guarantees it and with it the lack of the drip-feed approach.

At least those games should give you MyNintendo points.

If the NX is a home console, we probably won't be able to transfer 3DS games over; hopefully the next handheld though.

At least those games should give you MyNintendo points.

If the NX is a home console, we probably won't be able to transfer 3DS games over; hopefully the next handheld though.

Man don't get me started on £4.49 games not giving you any coins -_-

See with the NX, as 'NX' is the platform fuelled by our Nintendo Accounts which runs on multiple hardware systems, I'm hoping this console/handheld divide when it comes to VC titles ends.
It goes against their intended platform unification if you move from console to handheld, which should now share libraries, and get a message saying 'Super Mario World can only be launched on the NX handheld system.'
Presumably there will only be one eShop which both the console and handheld will access, if this one store does contain two separate copies of Super Mario World, and at different prices points at that, then Nintendo have really not learned anything.

Simbabbad

I find that pretty sad, honestly. I'd say the quality of the games they release is, well, more important.

Nowadays all purchases are tied to your NNID, and they use the global Nintendo eShop name, so at least from a legal standpoint, there shouldn't be issues for everything on the eShop to carry over to NX.

Of course compatibility is an issue, so if NX has no BC then pretty much no Wii U games (retail or eShop) will carry over. But with VC, I want to think that at least most of the testing is already done since the emulation work shouldn't be that different. The only thing I'm not expecting to carry over are Wii Downloads (they run on Wii Mode, which I don't expect to carry over either), I guess they could emulate them, but it also depends whether the Wiimote is compatible with NX.

Now, I definitely don't think EVERYTHING will be available Day 1, but I do think Nintendo will try to avoid starting from absolute scratch this time around. They definitely do not need the backlash, and they've stated they want the next system to have a unified OS (which should originate from Wii U).
You purchase the right to play on a certain system, not the right to play a game on all future Nintendo consoles, so I don't see why they wouldn't restart from scratch again. Also, wasn't everyone complaining about the Virtual Console? People would be mad if the exact same handling of the games was done this time around, and since they didn't do that on 3DS (SNES games have more options than on Wii U) it's very likely they'll fiddle with the emulator again.

Also, dripping VC games leads to more sales. If you release everything at once, you lose the "what's new" factor. In fact, I can't think of a single system that handles old games this way. And the complaining about the rhythm of releases is typical Internet stuff, people in general don't mind it that much.

And isn't the unified OS shared between NX versions, and not Wii U?

Javier

You purchase the right to play on a certain system, not the right to play a game on all future Nintendo consoles, so I don't see why they wouldn't restart from scratch again.
Well, they did let you transfer all your Wii Shop Channel games (VC and Wiiware) to the Wii U and (almost) all your DSiWare games to the 3DS. They've been pretty adamant on letting you keep your digital games on the current systems in SOME form, so I don't see why it should be any different with NX.

And isn't the unified OS shared between NX versions, and not Wii U?
They specifically said Wii U was going to be the base of the NX OS.

Javier

They never said anything like that. :)
You sure? I could have sworn that when referring to the NX OS, they made a comment like "Everything begins with Wii U" or something like that.

EDIT: Actually scratch that. This is what I was remembering:

fBtCPA9.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508/03.html

It's not exactly what I remembered, but it does look like Nintendo wants to keep a system where all their platforms are integrated, and I feel that drip-feeding VC games yet again would go against that.

TheMoon

You sure? I could have sworn that when referring to the NX OS, they made a comment like "Everything begins with Wii U" or something like that.

They have not said a single peep about the OS.

What you're thinking of is Iwata saying that future system would "absorb the Wii U architecture" seamlessly or something to that effect. That was quite a while ago now.

Ah here it is:

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

edit: or that other thing which was about Nintendo Account and My Nintendo.

Javier

They have not said a single peep about the OS.

What you're thinking of is Iwata saying that future system would "absorb the Wii U architecture" seamlessly or something to that effect. That was quite a while ago now.

Ah here it is:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

edit: or that other thing which was about Nintendo Account and My Nintendo.
Yes. THAT was the quote I remembered.

Thanks a lot for that. Nice to see I'm not crazy, even if I was wrong about the OS thing.

KingWool

Banned
I just want to add that I hope that they scratch the emulation for NES, SNES, N64, and basically anything that isn't GBA and gets M2 to develop them.

Simbabbad

Well, they did let you transfer all your Wii Shop Channel games (VC and Wiiware) to the Wii U and (almost) all your DSiWare games to the 3DS. They've been pretty adamant on letting you keep your digital games on the current systems in SOME form, so I don't see why it should be any different with NX.
That's... completely different. You're talking backward compatibility for downloadable software of the previous generation, whereas the Virtual Console has already been handled as "new" software, with the mere possibility of rebuying it for a discount price. Obviously they won't use the exact same emulation (which would cause an uproar), and will slowly release the games again, they won't just dump the same Wii U versions day one, that would make no sense whatsoever.

Javier

That's... completely different. You're talking backward compatibility for downloadable software of the previous generation, whereas the Virtual Console has already been handled as "new" software, with the mere possibility of rebuying it for a discount price. Obviously they won't use the exact same emulation (which would cause an uproar), and will slowly release the games again, they won't just dump the same Wii U versions day one, that would make no sense whatsoever.
That's kinda the thing. I'm not expecting NX to have BC proper, so I'm not expecting some sort of "Wii U mode" for your previous purchases to carry over to NX. With Wii U, at least we had Wii Mode so our previous purchases weren't lost entirely in the process, but if with NX we don't get BC in addition to having all games drip-fed a third time, then that would actually be a step backwards from the previous gen, and I really don't think Nintendo is in any position to do that and pretend everything's fine.

They've already delayed the launch of the NX, so they might as well get all this sorted out.

Pokemaniac

I just want to add that I hope that they scratch the emulation for NES, SNES, N64, and basically anything that isn't GBA and gets M2 to develop them.

That seems a bit excessive. Most of the complaints would go away if Nintendo allowed disabling of post-processing filters on the image.

Simbabbad

I think features matter more than frequency of release. If they allow several types of filters, aspect ratio, colours, CRT effect and/or borders, scans of manuals, online for multiplayer, etc. people will stop caring about dripping.

Pokemaniac

I think features matter more than frequency of release. If they allow several types of filters, aspect ratio, colours, CRT effect and/or borders, scans of manuals, online for multiplayer, etc. people will stop caring about dripping.

Online multiplayer in VC games (for games that didn't originally support it. Reviving servers for DS/Wii games, Pokémon Crystal, and more niche things like Satellaview would be cool) is a can of worms that I don't think Nintendo will want to open.

tolkir

It could include some extras like bluray releases.
Making of, audio-commentary, JP version, trailers, digital booklet with 30 pages about the develop, game in alpha state, maps, a Nintendo Asks, a CX episode with the game,... I don't know.

An incentive to help people to buy the game again.

KingWool

Banned
3DS
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection - $9.99
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - $13.99
  • Resident Evil Revelations - $4.99
  • Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D - $4.99
  • Street Fighter 4 - $4.99

Wii U
  • Duck Tales Remastered - $5.10
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - $13.59
  • Resident Evil Revelations - $9.99

PtM

Banned
3DS
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection - $9.99
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - $13.99
  • Resident Evil Revelations - $4.99
  • Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D - $4.99
  • Street Fighter 4 - $4.99

Wii U
  • Duck Tales Remastered - $5.10
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - $13.59
  • Resident Evil Revelations - $9.99
So jealous for that MH3U sale.
I thought you had to pay $13 or so to get the highest tier of games.
My thoughts as well, just wasn't sure about Streetie's tier anymore.

But yeah, the game is worth it.

PtM

Banned
Another benefit of buying it on the eShop is reward points... I'm just not sure I would like or really play the game.
There's an admittedly spartan demo for it that throws you into two hunts. You'll need to read the manual and try out the weapon/evasion moves by yourself before going out for the monster.

Other aspects the demo doesn't convey is the grinding for materials and putting together/collecting equipment.

Top Bottom