• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2010

Updates ongoing... OP should be up to date again in a wee while.

Good to see a (relatively) steady stream of demos in Europe so far...

Davey Cakes

I wish they had come out with that And Yet It Moves demo before my brother bought it. Another game he likes but probably won't complete. Maybe a demo would've been enough.

I'm going to grab the Jett Rocket and Bit.Trip Fate demos. Probably won't buy these games, but I always just want to try things, y'know? That's why demos on Wii should just be a standard. There are so many games on the service that I'd just like to try.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rash said:
I wish they had come out with that And Yet It Moves demo before my brother bought it. Another game he likes but probably won't complete. Maybe a demo would've been enough.

there's been a demo on the pc since well before the wiiware release!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Rash said:

I'm going to grab the Jett Rocket and Bit.Trip Fate demos. Probably won't buy these games, but I always just want to try things, y'know? That's why demos on Wii should just be a standard. There are so many games on the service that I'd just like to try.

you know that game is gonna be a buy for me, that series just gets better and better now only one more game to go before it wraps up :(

Chairhome

Curious to see how Tetris Party Live is on the DSi. Probably won't be a worthy replacement for Tetris DS, right? Although I rarely play my copy...

Davey Cakes

Stumpokapow said:
there's been a demo on the pc since well before the wiiware release!
Yeah, but my bro didn't really pay any attention to it until it got a console release. Then he just read about it and BAM, bought it.

He, like me, enjoys playing pretty much anything on consoles more than PC (nowadays), especially when it comes to downloadable games. I remember telling him when he bought AYIM that it wasn't some new game; that it had already been out for a while on PC, but he really didn't care.

Snowpack Park is a nice surprise!

Screens from the press site:

i_26457.jpg
i_26458.jpg
i_26459.jpg
i_26460.jpg
i_26461.jpg
i_26462.jpg
i_26463.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nice selection of demos, I was just looking to spend some points and those are pretty much the exact games I was looking at.

Hmmm, another Nintendo published game out of nowhere. Maybe there is a chance that we might see Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3 get released this year... (HINT HINT NOA!!!)

Who's the developer for Snowpack BTW? (doesn't look like an internally developed game)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Hmmm, another Nintendo published game out of nowhere. Maybe there is a chance that we might see Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3 get released this year... (HINT HINT NOA!!!)

Who's the developer for Snowpack BTW? (doesn't look like an internally developed game)
Since the Japanese Mystery dungeons had demos its a given now since demos are available now on the US channel.

Hi, all - still looking for some kind soul to help with translation and listing of Japanese DSiWare and WiiWare releases. They're all listed on the relevant NCL pages, but I lack the time and skill to translate them, and none of my usual sources seem to be listing them any more.

Can anyone help?

bon

Is anybody planning to get the penguin game and post impressions? I read the description, but I still don't quite understand what it is. :lol

Lijik

bon said:
Is anybody planning to get the penguin game and post impressions? I read the description, but I still don't quite understand what it is. :lol
Downloading it right now. I'm about to go head out and purchase Donkey Kong Country Returns, but when I get back I'll give it a whirl for a bit and post impressions

rpmurphy

Cosmonaut X said:
Hi, all - still looking for some kind soul to help with translation and listing of Japanese DSiWare and WiiWare releases. They're all listed on the relevant NCL pages, but I lack the time and skill to translate them, and none of my usual sources seem to be listing them any more.

Can anyone help?
VC:
Bishōjo Janshi Suchie-Pai (SFC | 800pts) (24 November 2010)
Super Bonk (SFC | 800pts) (16 November 2010)
Ghosts 'n Goblins (Arcade | 800pts) (16 November 2010)
Mario Party 2 (N64 | 1000pts) (2 November 2010)

October one:
Albert Odyssey (SFC | 800pts) (19 October 2010)

WiiWare:
October one:
Draw! Move! Catch! Sensei Wii (Takara Tomy | 1000pts) (19 October 2010)

DSiWare:
RPG Escape Game (Intense | 500pts) (24 November 2010)
Arrow of Laputa (ArtePiazza | 500pts) (24 November 2010)
Magical Fantasista (G-mode | 500pts) (24 November 2010)
ARC STYLE: Jurassic World (Arc System Works | 800pts) (24 November 2010)
DIY Nintendo DS Guide (Nintendo | Free) (17 November 2010)
ARC STYLE: Charge! Castle Attackers (Arc System Works | 500pts) (17 November 2010)
Action Game: Magical Whip (Silver Star | 200pts) (10 November 2010)
Aura-Aura Climber (Nintendo | 200pts) (10 November 2010)
... and bunch of other 500pt DSiWare games I can't do. :lol

sfog

Roto13 said:
I'm kind of glad I didn't buy And Yet It Moves. I tried the demo and I really don't like the atmosphere of it.

I like its graphical style, but I couldn't really wrap my head around the rotation with moving platforms mechanics in the 2nd level, so I'll pass on that. I liked Jett Rocket, it feels like something out of the N64 era in a good way, although I'm still a bit reluctant to buy since it's apparently really short. I may get it eventually though.

As for the others, I liked the gameplay and style of Fate, but it seems like it'd have the same type of high difficulty as in Beat (which I own, but have yet to get past the 2nd level in). I got through the first Fate stage without much trouble, but the second one killed me quickly.

ThruSpace was decent as well, but seems to be a bit simple for $8. I like its style, but I'll probably stick with Groovin' Blocks for my score-attack puzzle game fix.

Lijik

Snowpack park impressions:
A blizzard has hit Snowpack Park and only 3 penguins are left, your goal is to get 100 penguins into the park. You do this by taking on missions on different islands. Each mission has a set penguin goal and a time limit. Your goal is to herd as many penguins as you can into a goal before time expires.

When you're not taking on missions, you're taking care of the penguins at the park. Each penguin has a mood (and more trivially a name, gender, and weight) which you need to take care of. If a penguin's mood is down for too long, they will leave the park. You raise their mood by paying attention to them. You can do this by petting them, feeding them, or playing minigames with them. You also greet them by pressing Z in time with their calls, but the timing is very precise and its easier to raise their spirits doing other stuff.

Penguins who are down will not let you near them, and you have to raise their spirits by feeding them fish. You get a pair of fishsticks that act as a dowsing rod and let you acquire more fish in a small fishing minigame (just shake the remote after the rod is tugged a few times to get 3-6 fish). When a penguin likes you, they'll follow you around. When you play games with your penguins or raise their spirits, you gain friendship points. You need these to access missions and the farther the mission is from your park the more points it will cost. Annoyingly you have no way of seeing how many friendship points you've gained until you end the day.

You can also find coats for yourself and hats for your penguins. The best hat so far is a cardboard box you can find inside your tent. In your tent you can save your game and end the day by going to sleep. There is also a photoboard presumably for saving pictures you can take with your penguins, which I haven't figured out how to do yet. I think its at a designated spot that I havent opened up yet since it seems with each mission your beat you open up more of the park. Theres also a time system, so you can only do so much in each day. I don't know if you have to beat the game in a set number of days since the game hasn't made any allusions to that.

The game seems like its pretty short, I got 9 penguins in the first mission and the goal is to get 100. You also get 500 friendship points to start with, and AFAIK its totally possible to go back and redo earlier missions (I havent checked if this is possible or not yet, but the transport point for the first one is still on my map). I assume the game just continues indefinitely after you get all 100. Overall its quirky fun and I'm enjoying it, but I don't know if it has enough meat to warrant 8 bucks.

The only control scheme is wiiremote and nunchuck.

EDIT- Also you have a comic relief anthropomorphic penguin sidekick who explains the rules to you and plotwise is tidying up the park while you go out saving penguins who looks like this:
yYqqy.png

OnPoint

To those who partake in DSiWare:

I just got a DSi. I have downloaded Shantae and Soul of Darkness (which was really pretty good, surprisingly).

I would like to know what else is worth my time in your opinions.

Provider

The same answer I always give to this question.

All of the ArtStyle games, specially BoxLife (My favorite), Mario vs DK, trajectile, Glow Artisan... Cave Story next week in America.

sfried

OnPoint said:

I just got a DSi. I have downloaded Shantae and Soul of Darkness (which was really pretty good, surprisingly).

Mighty Flip Champs
X-Scape
Dark Void Zero
Pop Island and Pop Island Paperfield

Lijik

OnPoint said:

Other people will probably hit all of the major stuff, so I'd like to highlight a smaller title that I've really been enjoying lately:
10 Second Hero

zigg

OnPoint said:

Top picks from me would be Aura-Aura Climber and Boxlife. Bonus: they're all readily available right up-front in the alphabetical listing! :D

Olorin

OnPoint said:

Great 200 point games:
Photo Dojo (if you have silly friends)
Pop Island: Paperfield (if you have friends with a DS. Supports download play for up to 8 players)
Aura-Aura Climber
Spotto! (US) / Bird and Bombs (EU)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
OnPoint said:

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again
Mighty Flip Champs
Trajectile
Starship Defense
Dark Void Zero
Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon
DodoGo!

All well worth the asking price in my opinion.

Lijik

Nuclear Muffin said:
So did anyone else pick up Snowpack Park?

Any other impressions anyone?

Also, does anyone know who the developer is? I'm curious!
Ive poked around the game and the best i can get from it is "nintendo". Doesnt seem to be any way to access the credits early.

Lijik said:
Ive poked around the game and the best i can get from it is "nintendo". Doesnt seem to be any way to access the credits early.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait until one of us finishes the game then!

OK, nearly there with the Japanese listings. Just a few more to get now, thanks to rpmurphy:
  • ColorZ is out in Japan at the end of the month, but I'm not sure of the pub - it looks like Rack Plus. Is that correct? Link is here
  • There are three 500pt titles that can't be identified yet. One looks like "Reel Gun", but not sure of the other two, or publishers etc. Links are here, here and here
  • There are also still a few DSiWare titles from the end of October that I need to translate - could list them here is someone could help?

I downloaded the And Yet it Moves demo since I loved the PC version and I was curious about how this one controlled. I really don't like how the non-discrete rotation is handled. Here the need for the game to pause while you manually adjust the angle breaks the flow. In the PC version your character froze for a moment while rotating, but the brief pause after pressing a button to rotate 90 degrees was unnoticeable and the game flowed smoothly.

I see on the options screen that the full version has a retro 90 degree control style, which I hope, in nunchuk mode, uses the d-pad on the wii remote like the d-pad on the pc to rotate with a button press.

Hmm Lufia. Wonder how this will play out in Europe I seem to be remember we only got Lufia 2 originally (
same thing happened with Breath of Fire
) and it was just called Lufia. Adding Lufia and The Fortress of Doom as an import would confuse things pretty nicely.

Of course Taito=Square-Enix so there is chance if it does hit VC anywhere, everywhere else will see it.

OnPoint said:

Art Style: PiCTOBiTS - Amazing puzzle game with an equally amazing sountrack of remixed Nintendo 8-bit classics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqe2ZSSFL9Y

Also:
Art Style: DIGIDRIVE
Link 'n' Launch
Paper Airplane Chase
Art Style: BASE 10
Bird and Beans

Hey guys just letting you know a little bit more about the WiiWare demos.

According to the guys at Gaijin Games, demos which are rated higher than bronze on the Nintendo Channel stay on longer than those which do not. Otherwise, the demos are GONE in a month.

Again: Demos, by default, disappear in a month. Rating them high via Nintendo Channel is what extends their length of existence.

jgkspsx

leroy hacker said:
I downloaded the And Yet it Moves demo since I loved the PC version and I was curious about how this one controlled. I really don't like how the non-discrete rotation is handled. Here the need for the game to pause while you manually adjust the angle breaks the flow. In the PC version your character froze for a moment while rotating, but the brief pause after pressing a button to rotate 90 degrees was unnoticeable and the game flowed smoothly.

I see on the options screen that the full version has a retro 90 degree control style, which I hope, in nunchuk mode, uses the d-pad on the wii remote like the d-pad on the pc to rotate with a button press.
I actually found the Wii version much more fun than the PC version. I won it in an Extra Guy contest, but if I'd known I'd like it this much I would have been happy to buy it.

jgkspsx

OnPoint said:

Soul of Darkness is such a guilty pleasure. So ripped off and yet so pleasant... argh!

To inject some negativity about popular stuff:
I find GlowArtisan more frustrating than fun. Sometimes it clicks and I really enjoy it... but not often.

The ArtStyle games are pretty hit or miss, sadly. The GBA ones were more consistently excellent, or at least stylish. PiCtoBits and BoxLife are essential. Digidrive is great at first, but once you master the One True Path it gets kinda boring. Zengage and Base 10 are OK, but not excellent. Aquia and Precipice are kinda dogs.

I wanted so badly to like A Kappa's Trail, and I can't stand it. Too many control/camera problems.

Camera games just don't work unless you live in a photography studio.

My must-have list:
Bird & Beans
BOXLIFE
Dark Void Zero
Maestro! Green Groove
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Mighty Flip Champs
Number Battle
Paper Airplane Chase
PiCTOBiTS
Pinball Pulse
Robot Rescue (repulsive art, but gameplay, if you like that kind of thing, is excellent)
Shantae
Soul of Darkness I hate myself
Trajectile
X-SCAPE

Worthwhile applications (YMMV):
Art Academy
Browser
Electroplanktons
Nintendo DSi Instrument Tuner
Nintendo DSi Metronome

Mario Clock ... it's got good alarm music, leave me alone.

Enjoyable but lacking something:
AiRace: Tunnel
Aura Aura Climber.
BASE 10
DIGIDRIVE
Escapee GO!
Game and Watches
Spotto!
Zengage

Wish I hadn't bought:
Aquia
A Kappa's Trail
Chronos Twins
Link'n'Launch
Looksley's Line Up
GlowArtisan
Precipice
WarioWare: Snapped!

Most of these last category are high quality, I just don't like them. Avoid the camera games no matter what, though.

Whoa whoa whoa, Snowpack Park is developed by Skip? At least it sure seems like it, judging by this video. If that is indeed the case then it might set a new record for fastest turnaround between "who gives a shit" and "ZOMG! must download!" on the scale of how much I care about a game.

jgkspsx

nincompoop said:
Whoa whoa whoa, Snowpack Park is developed by Skip? At least it sure seems like it, judging by this video. If that is indeed the case then it might set a new record for fastest turnaround between "who gives a shit" and "ZOMG! must download!" on the scale of how much I care about a game.
Looks plausible, and my turnaround time is about the same. Still, Chibi Robo's awesomeness was largely based on the story and writing - the DS one was pretty empty by comparison. Too bad Captain Rainbow will never be localized.

nincompoop said:

Whoa!!! Thanks for the link. It certainly seems like a Skip title. Turning on Wii to download now!

Mockingbird said:
Whoa!!! Thanks for the link. It certainly seems like a Skip title. Turning on Wii to download now!
Skip?!?!?

*Goes to purchase*

This better get some exposure on Nintendo Week or something.

nincompoop said:

Woah, that DOES look like a skip game! The music, the character designs (especially that lanky penguin), the sound effects - they all scream skip! :D

Actually, the game concept does seem skip like as well. I have no money at the moment, but I am buying this ASAP. Thanks for the vid :D

Top Bottom