• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2016

KingBroly

Banned
I'm really starting to lose interest in Axiom Verge right now. I have no idea where to go or what to do. I've been wandering aimlessly for about 90 minutes now and very little idea on where I'm supposed to go. It doesn't help that the map is the size of a pea and I can't increase its' size. It feels like an early 360 game where the text sizes were too small. Holy hell, man.

For all the praise I heard, I keep finding myself thinking 'how did this garner this much praise?' This game tries to compare itself to Super Metroid. Well, let me tell ya something brother: This game is NO Super Metroid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm really starting to lose interest in Axiom Verge right now. I have no idea where to go or what to do. I've been wandering aimlessly for about 90 minutes now and very little idea on where I'm supposed to go. It doesn't help that the map is the size of a pea and I can't increase its' size. It feels like an early 360 game where the text sizes were too small. Holy hell, man.

For all the praise I heard, I keep finding myself thinking 'how did this garner this much praise?' This game tries to compare itself to Super Metroid. Well, let me tell ya something brother: This game is NO Super Metroid.

Yeah I'd put it below every official Metroid game, most IGA Castlevania games, Cave Story, even that Metroid II fan remake that I don't love.

TheMoon

I have not yet played Axiom Verge myself (it's downloaded and waiting though!) but I've heard similar complaints multiple times now (mostly big Metroid fans who actually still play them^^). I would throw out the bold claim that maybe all the praise (especially the part where it supposedly out-Metroids Metroid or whatever) came from people who actually never really played many Metroid games or at least not since last century.

I'm really curious how my own evaluation will pan out.

Simbabbad

Reminds me of the praise Okami got vs. Twilight Princess, and then I got really disappointed when I finally played Okami (the pacing in particular).

zroid

Banned
when people lost their shit when it was reported Nintendo didn't want a Samus costume in Axiom Verge, I just rolled my eyes.

it would make a lot more sense for them to allow that if it WASN'T a Metroid clone. if people saw Samus in some indie game which looks like Metroid that could very easily be misconstrued.

KingBroly

Banned
Reminds me of the praise Okami got vs. Twilight Princess, and then I got really disappointed when I finally played Okami (the pacing in particular).

I think if Okami was a third of its length, it'd be a Perfect Zelda clone. But it just lasts too long. I still really like Okami, though, and believe it's a well crafted game.

This game...it seems really over praised. This isn't even the best Metroid clone this gen, IMO.

Ondore

So I thought I had two compatible Y-cables for the hard drive upgrade... turns out no so much. Currently in the process of redownloading, and I think I might actually be able to get this done before Monday night.

I wish that the indie-curated shelf on the e-shop had some sort of explanation somewhere. As someone who was more-or-less enjoyed it, I'm curious why the current curators (the Jotun developers) decided to include amiibo festival.

KingBroly

Banned
So I thought I had two compatible Y-cables for the hard drive upgrade... turns out no so much. Currently in the process of redownloading, and I think I might actually be able to get this done before Monday night.

What I ended up having to do was swap the USB cables so they'd work properly. Haven't had a problem since. It was such a weird bug caused by (IMO) faulty hardware design.

More Axiom Verge:
- Right now this game is giving me a 5 to 6 out of 10 vibe. The story hit a major moment where I just stopped, jaw agape at what was transpiring. That's how stupid it was.

- I feel like I've been wandering aimlessly in this game more than actually trying to do what the game wants me to do. There's no flow in terms of what it wants me to do and where to go. I don't know if this is simply a directional problem, the fact that the aesthetic just blends together together after a while or something else.

- There's a lot of Weapons in the game that I just don't feel are necessary. I feel like I should have a smaller assortment of guns with stacking effects OR one gun with all of the effects of ULTIMATE RAMBO ACTION. As is, many of the weapons just feel extremely situational for one enemy type.

Camjo-Z

I wish that the indie-curated shelf on the e-shop had some sort of explanation somewhere. As someone who was more-or-less enjoyed it, I'm curious why the current curators (the Jotun developers) decided to include amiibo festival.

even devs like to have a laugh every now and then

donny2112

This game...it seems really over praised. This isn't even the best Metroid clone this gen, IMO.

Haven't played Axiom Verge, yet, but with the subject of Metroidvanias, feel the need to promote Bloody Vampire on 3DS again. Cutesy Metroidvania, but a fun one to try to work out where everything is to 100%!

TheMoon

Haven't played Axiom Verge, yet, but with the subject of Metroidvanias, feel the need to promote Bloody Vampire on 3DS again. Cutesy Metroidvania, but a fun one to try to work out where everything is to 100%!

alright alright, next time it's on sale I'll get it :D

donny2112

alright alright, next time it's on sale I'll get it :D

Great! It's one of those "bump to attack" games, and that threw me off at first. Once I got past that, I enjoyed just the plain exploration aspect of it. There's no map, so getting the last item to 100% took a lot of back-tracking trying to find the one square I hadn't gotten to, yet. Even enjoyed that, though. :)

Just beat Axiom Verge. The less that's said about it the better IMO. 5 out of 10.

Heard some terrible user reviews of this, but the official scores are way different with NL giving it a perfect 10. Curious to see how it shakes out over the coming weeks!

KingBroly

Banned
Heard some terrible user reviews of this, but the official scores are way different with NL giving it a perfect 10. Curious to see how it shakes out over the coming weeks!

I cannot see how anyone could give it a 10. There are just so many better Metroid clones out there. Ori and the Blind Forest, Shadow Complex, etc. It's just lacking in every area and some design choices are obviously bad.

-sdp

I've never played any Final Fight game on SNES. Are they worth it?

Do you like beat-em-ups? Because that's what they are so you should know what to expect. All from memory but:

Final Fight 1 is a decent port from the arcade even if not perfect. It's missing one character (Guy) and some slight censoring but it's a genre classic. A version with Guy came out later but replaced the other playable character, that version was never released on VC on Wii despite releasing all the different SFII ports.

FF2 and 3 are SNES exclusives and that makes them both better and worse. Instead of downgrading a game they were made with the system in mind however they're not as "classic" as the original.

I bought it at launch on PS4. Thought "this is alright, but these controls would work better on Vita." So I waited for that version.

A year later, it finally arrived on Vita. It did indeed play much better, but after an hour or so I put it down and never picked it up again.

Maybe someday.

Phoenixus

Dragon Quest VII and Metroid Prime Hunters this week. Not bad. :)

Now where the hell is that NX announcement Nintendo!

scamander

Banned
Yo-Kai Watch is on sale this week in Europe. How random, lol.

Full PR:
Wii U eShop

Gear Gauntlet (Crystalline Green, €9.99 / £7.99) - Originally released on Xbox One, the aim here is to rush through courses while also quickly pushing face buttons when hit by a colour-coded dead end. It's fast-paced and rather tricky, but could well be worth a look; we'll get into gear and bring you a review.

Grand Prix Rock 'N Racing (EnjoyUp Games, €4.95 / £4.45 until 22nd September, then €7.99 / £7.19) - The latest in the Rock 'N Racing series, this time around focusing on F1-style cars; you'll be able to customise your car, tackle local multiplayer and compare times through online leaderboards. We'll see whether this deserves a podium place in our review.

Aenigma Os (Akies Games, €6.49 / £4.99) - A match-3 puzzle game, at least on the surface, this one promises a relatively lengthy campaign, challenge levels and local multiplayer. We'll bring you a review soon.

Brick Breaker (Sanuk Games, €4.99 / £4.49) - It's a classic formula, which Sanuk Games doesn't deny is at the core of its offering. It does boast of a 100 level campaign, the usual blend of bonuses and traps, and local multiplayer options. We'll see whether it breaks our will or brings a welcome dose of nostalgia in our review.

MikroGame: Rotator (Studio de la Torre, €1.99 / £1.89) - A quickfire rhythm-style game in which you rapidly follow button prompts to progress through a tunnel-like course of platforms. We're still working on a review for this one and will share it with you as soon as possible.

SHOOTY SPACE (RCMADIAX, €2.99 / £2.69) - A shmup in which you try to accumulate as high a score as possible, with the option to jump right back in when you see the Game Over screen. We'll blast some foes and bring you a review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99) - The Wii U eShop already has the outstanding Metroid Prime Trilogy available to download, and now we can complete the set with this DS release. It was a tentpole reveal and release for the DS hardware, even if the end result didn't quite have the scope that the developers at NST initially planned. Nevertheless it's a DS Metroid game, and one we gave a modest recommendation in our Wii U Virtual Console Metroid Prime: Hunters review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Citizens of Earth (Atlus, €4.99 / £4.00 until 29th September, normally €11.99 / £9.99)
Futuridium EP Deluxe (MixedBag Games, €7.99 / £5.99 until 22nd September, normally €9.99/ £7.99)
Master Reboot (Wales Interactive, €4.59 / £3.99 until 13th October, normally €11.99 / £9.99)
The Quiet Collection (Nostatic Games, €2.69 / £1.79 until 22nd September, normally €4.49 / £2.99)
Tachyon Project (Eclipse Games, €4.99 / £4.49 until 22nd September, normally €9.99 / £8.99)
STEEL LORDS (nuGAME, €7.50 / £6.00 until 12th October, normally €14.99 / £10.99)

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount

Puzzle Monkeys (Log Games, €1.49 / £1.49, was €2.99 / £2.99)

3DS Retail Download

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (Square Enix / Nintendo, €39.99 / £34.99) - A much anticipated localisation, this remaster overhauls the visuals of the original while still offering the same enormous adventure. In the coming week we'll have a review and more to share with you, but until then you can check out our first impressions from earlier in the year. Available from 16th September. Download purchases include free DRAGON QUEST VII Bonus Theme until 31st March 2017.

3DS eShop

Splat the Difference (Lightwood Games, €5.00 / £4.50) - Often associated with word games, this time around Lightwood Games is sharing its own colourful twist on 'spot the difference', where you mark the screen with splats of paint. Also supports local multiplayer for four with Download Play, we'll see whether it's an artful release or otherwise in our review.

New Nintendo 3DS eShop

Futuridium EP Deluxe (MixedBag Games, €7.99 / £5.99 until 22nd September, free if already owned on the Wii U eShop under the same Nintendo Account, otherwise €9.99 / £7.99) - This futuristic and high-speed title has you flying and shooting through a variety of colourful environments, with the promise of 60fps with 3D enabled. Think of a faster Star Fox with elements of the Death Star run from the first Star Wars movie, and you're going in the right direction; we liked this in our Futuridium EP Deluxe Wii U review, but will take a separate look at the New 3DS version.

3DS DLC

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice add-on content (Capcom, €3.99 / £3.59)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Yo-kai Watch (Nintendo, on discount until 1st October)
Citizens of Earth (Atlus, €4.99 / £4.00 until 29th September, normally €11.99 / £9.99)
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (Marvelous Europe, €17.99 / £14.99 until 29th September, normally €29.99 / £24.99)
Alphadia (KEMCO, €4.99 / £4.49 until 29th September, normally €9.99 / £8.99)
Chronus Arc (KEMCO, €4.99 / £4.49 until 29th September, normally €9.99 / £8.99)
Conveni Dream (CIRCLE Entertainment, €3.99 / £3.59 until 6th October, normally €5.00 / £4.50)
Puzzle Labyrinth (CIRCLE Entertainment, €3.99 / £3.39 until 6th October, normally €5.00 / £4.29)
Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles! (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 / £1.79 until 6th October, normally €3.99 / £3.59)
Dress to Play: Cute Witches! (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 / £1.79 until 6th October, normally €3.99 / £3.59)
Johnny's Payday Panic (Office Create, €1.99 / £1.49 until 29th September, normally €3.99 / £2.99)

3DS HOME Themes

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice Bonus Theme (Capcom, €3.99 / £3.59) - Bonus for clicking on "Go to the Theme Shop" button in the AOC, free download code for the theme "Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney".
YO-KAI WATCH Komasan (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)
YO-KAI WATCHKomajiro (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)
YO-KAI WATCH Robonyan (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)

source: NintendoLife

Final Fight 1 is a decent port from the arcade even if not perfect. It's missing one character (Guy) and some slight censoring but it's a genre classic. A version with Guy came out later but replaced the other playable character, that version was never released on VC on Wii despite releasing all the different SFII ports.

FF2 and 3 are SNES exclusives and that makes them both better and worse. Instead of downgrading a game they were made with the system in mind however they're not as "classic" as the original.
The SNES version of Final Fight is not only missing Guy, it's also missing a whole stage and, even more importantly, doesn't have a 2 Player mode. Final Fight Guy only ever received a limited release so it would have been a surprise to see in on Virtual Console.

What do you mean by 2 and 3 being both "better and worse"? I understand they not being considered as classic as the first game, that's for sure, but I consider them both to be superior in every way (and that includes not just the SNES version but the original arcade game as well). Just having 2P mode make them both way better, on top of everything else. They're pretty great beat em ups. Final Fight 3 is probably the second best beat em up on SNES after Turtles in Time.

-sdp

The SNES version of Final Fight is not only missing Guy, it's also missing a whole stage and, even more importantly, doesn't have a 2 Player mode. Final Fight Guy only ever received a limited release so it would have been a surprise to see in on Virtual Console.

What do you mean by 2 and 3 being both "better and worse"? I understand they not being considered as classic as the first game, that's for sure, but I consider them both to be superior in every way (and that includes not just the SNES version but the original arcade game as well). Just having 2P mode make them both way better, on top of everything else. They're pretty great beat em ups. Final Fight 3 is probably the second best beat em up on SNES after Turtles in Time.

I guess I forgot about some of the other changes. We've seen limited and rate games released so no reason for FFGuy not to be released except for it being somewhat redundant.

And yes that's what mostly meant, they aren't as well remembered and maybe "classic" but they were fun. I never did own any of the games but played them at friends so I'm only going from memory. I actually thought they had a bad reputation.

Dee Dee

3DS HOME Themes

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice Bonus Theme (Capcom, €3.99 / £3.59) - Bonus for clicking on "Go to the Theme Shop" button in the AOC, free download code for the theme "Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney".

The AOC?
I don't get it. How do I avoid paying 4 € (!!) for this exactly?

Boney

Banned

People that think something being huge and open ended that allows them to explore and backtrack with the newest power up for more progress as the absolute and only real requirement for the "Metroid Formula" sing it's praise.

It's better than most of the below average sidescroller action adventures that are being made today but it's no where near any classic of the genre.

I always roll my eyes at how much value people put to being able to get lost on these games. If most people are hitting a brick wall constantly then you failed as a designer.

donny2112

The AOC?
I don't get it. How do I avoid paying 4 € (!!) for this exactly?

Add-On Content.

Buy this week's DLC ("the AOC"), and there should be a button that takes you to the theme shop to get a "no additional charge" theme. You have to buy the DLC first, though.

That's how I interpret, anyways.

Dee Dee

Add-On Content.

Buy this week's DLC ("the AOC"), and there should be a button that takes you to the theme shop to get a "no additional charge" theme. You have to buy the DLC first, though.

That's how I interpret, anyways.

Okay, that would make sense as it has the same price.
I haven't been keeping up with all the AA6 info, do we know what this DLC entails? It can't be the costume stuff they gave for free this week, can it?

KingBroly

Banned
People that think something being huge and open ended that allows them to explore and backtrack with the newest power up for more progress as the absolute and only real requirement for the "Metroid Formula" sing it's praise.

It's better than most of the below average sidescroller action adventures that are being made today but it's no where near any classic of the genre.

I always roll my eyes at how much value people put to being able to get lost on these games. If most people are hitting a brick wall constantly then you failed as a designer.

If that were the case, Metroid 1 would still hold up, but it doesn't. Like I said before, this game doesn't do stuff Super Metroid did in 1994. On the SNES. For a game praised to be 'as good, if not better than' Super Metroid, I'm gobsmacked that anyone could look at the two and find them to be comparable. There's a major difference between going off the beaten path when you're not supposed to and wandering aimlessly for hours trying to find where to go.

Don't read this post Nintendo!

I think what is making me enjoy Axiom Verge a bit less than I normally would is having just played the Metroid II fan remake a bit before it. Mah gawd AM2R is amazing, it is hard to live up to it. I would have happily paid more than double what I paid for Axiom Verge for a proper AM2R release.

Ok you can go back to reading now Nintendo.

Link_enfant

I've just noticed that Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Akumajou no Densetsu) isn't available on the Japan 3DS eShop, which is kinda disappointing as I wanted to buy it instead of the US version (of course for its mostly superior musics).
Any idea on why Japan lacks such a game on 3DS VC?

Aside from that, it looks like they got 4 PC Engine games on it but for some reason we only got PC Engine games on Wii U and a lot of time after those.

Man, VC releases are a real mystery in every region. At least I can say Europe isn't overlooked in that case. I'll still find many exclusive games to enjoy my Super Famicom edition N3DSXL but that was very surprising.

HTWGames

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I guess Polara wasn't updated on that list by the publisher or...something, but it is coming to the eShop September 15, 2016.

I might have a couple codes to give away, just need to figure out the best way to do so :D

Circle Entertainment posted on Twitter:

Polara will hitting on NA/EU 3DS eShop this week. RT & follow @CIRCLE_Ent & @HTWGames will have chance win a free code.

Give us a follow and RT if you'd like to have a chance to get a code as well.

Take it easy :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Tomorrow's Wii U VC title is WarioWare: Smooth Moves. Really should give that game a try one of these days.

also

Banned
So I got a survey from Nintendo dealing mostly with Yo-Kai watch and just a little bit of Pokemon. Questions like: Have you heard of this game/anime/merchandise? Have you/will you buy it? How much do you know? How would you describe it?

No rewards but "you'll be helping to improve our future products in Europe."

donny2112

Tomorrow's Wii U VC title is WarioWare: Smooth Moves. Really should give that game a try one of these days.

Seriously considering getting it just to play classic SNES Star Fox with Wiimote motion controls without having to keep the disk game handy. Hmmm...

donny2112

Yeah, it's just a few levels, but it was great to get back to OG Star Fox on a newer system. So want a real VC release of Star Fox...

Robin64

Well the eShop has updated but Yokai Watch hasn't dropped in price. It's not mentioned in the download news on the official site either.

Ondore

NA PR:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
YO-KAI WATCH 2 – Demo Version – Watch out! Yo-kai, the strangely charming troublemakers, are back for a new adventure. Find, befriend and battle more than 350 new and returning Yo-kai. Now you can try out the new YO-KAI WATCH 2: Bony Spirits and YO-KAI WATCH 2: Fleshy Souls games before you buy. In this special (and free!) demo, use your Yo-kai Watch to investigate mysterious behavior taking place in Harrisville. Could it be the cause of a Yo-kai? By playing the demo, you can also sample the new Yo-kai Watch Blasters mode. The full versions launch on Sept. 30.
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past – Travel to the past to save the present as you restore forgotten lands and battle an unknown evil in this classic Dragon Quest adventure completely rebuilt from the ground up for the Nintendo 3DS system. Customize your party with more than 30 vocations, and level up in turn-based battles to learn new spells and abilities. The Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past game will be available on Sept. 16.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Noitu Love: Devolution – The year is 2288. The city is protected by an organization called “The Peacekeepers League.” Everything is swell, except that the city is under attack by a robot army lead by professor Darnacus Damnation. Or is it...? Available on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS with intuitive, touch-screen-controlled gameplay. Click here to view the trailer. This game is part of the #Nindies Summer Jam promotion, with a special introductory price through 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 22.
Wii Retail on Wii U
WarioWare: Smooth Moves – Wario stumbles into the Temple of Form and finds the mystical treasure called the Form Baton. Legend has it that if the holder follows the forms, she or he can overcome any challenge. In this party game originally for the Wii system, use the Wii Remote controller in more than 200 frantic microgames as you swing, spin and squat your way to victory.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Stone Shire is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 29.
Tilelicious: Delicious Tiles is more than 65 percent off (reduced from $5.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 21.
Tachyon Project is 50 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 22.
Master Reboot is more than 65 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 13.
Vector Assault is 20 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $3.99) starting at 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 16 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 30.
Midnight is 20 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to $1.59) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 6.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is 25 percent off (reduced from $39.99 to $29.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 26.
Code of Princess is more than 65 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 26.
Pet Hospital is more than 65 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 1.
Dress to Play: Cute Witches! and Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles! are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 7.
SEGA 3D Classics Collection is more than 33 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $19.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 26.
Nano Assault EX is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 6.
Johnny’s Payday Panic is 50 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 29.
Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 3.
Alphadia and Chronus Arc from Kemco are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 29.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Theme

Also new this week:

Collide-a-Ball (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Polara (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Splat the Difference (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Aenigma OS (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Brick Breaker (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Gear Gauntlet (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Grand Prix Rock ’N Racing (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
SHOOTY SPACE (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

Fewr

Thanks.

I really want to get Dragon Quest, but I'm playing Link Between Worlds right now. It'll have to wait.

tolkir

Well the eShop has updated but Yokai Watch hasn't dropped in price. It's not mentioned in the download news on the official site either.

Probably it was a Nintendolife typo. NintenDaan's PR doesn't show Yo-kai watch sale either.

It was strange that Nintendo put a sale when the game is still selling fine.

Top Bottom